Aftereffect

He's Not A Bad Guy

Myungsoo avoided her sister since the night he had heard the truth. She tried to explain everything but he didn't let her. He only talked to Dongwoo about what actually was happening and he sweared if he had another way, he wouldn't talk even a single word with Dongwoo either. Dongwoo, who himself didn't know anything about Myungsoo's past before getting that case, told him about the accident, his birth, his real parents and the brother who had been looking for him for a long time. The second blow of shock was when Myungsoo found the so-called real brother was Nam Sunggyu, that annoying radio host. That was the only impression of Sunggyu to him, "an annoying person." Nothing more, nothing less.

He went to work and stayed for all meals at MBC building, forcing himself to spent as much time as possible out of his own home. He spent two days thinking he was really betrayed. The people whom he called his family had lied to him for years and he was that naive and stupid to blieve them all those years. He couldn't think about them as before, love them, trust them anymore. The other was that Nam Sunggyu, the annoting man who had made him to find the truth. For a moment, Myungsoo wished that guy hadn't tried to find him. Myungsoo didn't want anyone, anything anymore. He didn't want a new brother. He didn't want the truth. He thought he missed someone. It couldn't be his mother, which one? The lier or the one whom he had never seen till then? 

He decided to meet Nam Sunggyu. He knew the exact day the man was going to come back, that was Sungjong's last day as Moonlight's host. Myungsoo had made his mind to meet him.

 

As there was still a couple of his free days remained, Sunggyu came back two days after getting to Seoul to MBC. His cheerful face showed how happy he was. He had succeeded in his mission to find his brother, and just needed to meet him. The detective had asked him to wait a little more until the boy is ready to take the news and Sunggyu decided to trust his words. Every one were happy to see him and greeted him warmly. He saw Sungjong working on his scripts alone and went to him, but before saying anything he noticed his teammate has changed. Sungjong was too skinny and his face was too tired than it used to be. He was sitting at his desk, leaning his head on his right hand, moving the papers and writing some details on the corner of the pages with his left hand, completely focused. Sunggyu smiled at the sight and sat on a chair beside him.

-Hey Jong-ah!

Sungjong jumped as he heared someone calling him from a not a distance and turned.

-Oh hyung, when did you come back?

-It's been almost two days but I stayed at home since then.

-How did it go? Did you find anything?

Sunggyu smiled and nodded his head. Sungjong face became so bright as he heard the news, feeling happy for his friend's victory after a very long process.

-You should tell me everything hyung. What did you do, where did you go?

-I will. Maybe when we eat later. Ah… yes, Is Sungyeol buzy these days? I called him many times but he didn't answer.

Sungjong's happy face turned into a dark one when those words left Sunggyu's mouth. He didn't expect the elder to say such a thing. He blinked, starring at him blankly.

-Why are you starring like this?

-Hyung, you mean you don't know what has happened to Sungyeol hyung?

The way the younger said that, sounded like a warning or so to Sunggyu. He didn't say anything more and went to his own desk. Something had happened during the time he was absent. He didn't waste a second and searched in the net. Sungyeol was a famous athletic, if something had happened to him, it would be shared in the internet. Sunggyu checked the recent news of Sungyeol and the entries appeared on the screen of his cellphone, leaving him speechless.

-What on the world… Sungyeol… Why didn't I…

He muttered under his breath, say it so just he himself could hear. He took a look at Sungjong, so that was why the boy seemed restless.

-Nam Sunggyu-ssi?

Before Sunggyu could do anything, a young voice called his name. Sunggyu raised his head just to see a young man entering his shared room with Sungjong. He had seen him before, Sungjong… Sungjong's friend.

-Yes?

He answered with his shocked eyes, and the man got near.

-My name is Lee Myungsoo.

The sentence hit Sunggyu's mind with a strong bang. Wasn't this name belonged to his brother? So what…

-As I have heard, you've been looking for me for years.

Myungsoo's face was so still. Making Sunggyu and even Sungjong who was still in the room freeze.

-Congratulations. You have found your long lost. What are you going yo do now?

Sungjong covered his mouth in shock, understanding Myungsoo's words.

-You did a good job. Really… Why?

Sunggyu managed to stand up, not being able to make sentence yet. Myungsoo added.

-Did you really have to look for me? What did you supposed I was? A little boy that you can take care of? You thought I'd be jumping on my feet like a crazy? That happy?

-I… just… with my…

Sunggyu felt so helpless. He was supposed to get a message from Jang Dongwoo before meeting his brother but now he was seeing him all of a sudden and it wasn't like what he had imagined. That man, his brother, wasn't feeling the same as Sunggyu expected. He wasn't the person Sunggyu imagined. Myungsoo wasn't confused and maybe sad as anyone would be in that situation. He was completely different. Myungsoo was objecting, shouting, and was dissatisfied. What should he do now?

-Thanks to you, I don't know who I am now. My whole life turned into an empty lie. Why did you ruin my life? To get what? Now that I've been living with a lie for all these years, I preferred not to know the truth... Did you need me that bad?

Did you need me that bad?! Among all the sentenses his brother had said, this one sounded differently. Sungjong who was watch them silently in a corner decided to stop Myungsoo. He couldn't let them to go on like that. He went to Myungsoo and geabbed his arm, dragging him out of the room.

-Come on Myungsoo-ah.

-Let me go. I want to know why did he do that to me. Why? Do you still think he's not a bad guy?

But Sungjong took him out by force. They all left Sunggyu alone. And the same words repeated in Sunggyu's mind.

DID YOU NEED ME THAT BAD?

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

After Sungyeol was discharged from hospital, he did nothing but staying at his room. He didn't remembered when was the last time he was spending his day just lying on the bed and sleeping for hours. His arm was completely cured and he could use it easily, but his only concern was his leg. What if he really wouldn't be able to play basketball, to run, or even to walk! The team's coach had informed the comittee and said that Sungyeol had felt someone intentionally did that to him, but as it had been in the middle of the match there wasn't any evidence to prove it. Although his coach was trying hard, Sungyeol really didn't care anymore. He felt all his pride and all his fame was destroyed in just a second. His fans sent him flowers and get-well-soon messages. It was heartwarming but didn't have a healing power. Sungyeol was too scared and he knew it himself.

Everyday, Sungjong managed to stay with him untill afternoon, cooking lunch and dinner both, doing the laundry, and accompanying his brother. He did his best and still he couldn't make Sungyeol smile. Sungyeol didn't eat well and sometimes even locked himself in his room, making Sungjong to kneel behind his door and beg him to open up. He didn't open the windows in order not to hear the fans support chants. He didn't turn on the lights when he was alone at nights to prentend he wasn't at home and get rid of his fans, but actually he hadn't left the house since the day he was discharged.

Sometimes he stayed up till so late for Hoya to come and talk to him. He was absolutely aware of Hoya's tight and busy scheduals, he understood how much Hoya worked and tried for him, earning enough money to buy his medicine and saving for Sungyeol's next probable surgery, but still Sungyeol needed him. No pills and painkillers could be compared with Hoya's heartwarming eyes and his reasurring smile. But Hoya didn't smile anymore, just like Sungyeol. Even Sungjong's smiles were fake. They all were fake. All three of them.

That night Sungyeol was staying up again, sitting on the sofa and Sungjong was sleeping on the floor with his head leaned to the sofa beside him. It was too late to stay awake but Sungyeol didn't feel sleepy at all. Hoya was late. That was the latest night for him to come back home. The eldest brother tured the key in the keyhole and opened the door. He walked in as silently as possible not to make sound. As he was going to his room, he heard Sungyeol.

-Hyung?

Hoya turned and answered.

-Yes? Are you still awake?

Sungyeol just nodded innocently. Hoya took the way to the livingroom and sat on the floor beside the already asleep Sungjong.

-Why are you still up Yeol-ah? You should rest.

-What about you? You had never come home this late.

-I was cheking the choreography for the kids one more time. The competition will be in less than a month.

Sungyeol smiled. It was too dark for Hoya to see his smile, but he could feel it. It made him to smile back tiredly.

-You finally smiled hyung.

Said sungyeol with a trembling voice.

-And you did too.

Hoya looked at Sungjong. He youngest's silky hair with his strong hands, allowing his fingers to slip in his hair. Smiling again, this time at Sungjong.

-Tomorrow is Sunday. Can we go to Busan?

Hoya froze. Busan? Why? He searched for Sungyeol's eyes in the darkness of the living room.

-I want to go back home.

-Sungyeol-ah?

-I want to go back. Can you drive me there? I wanted to go by bus but I can't walk or drag my luggage with my crutches. I need you. I won't ask Sungjong because I know he can't come with me.

-You want to go? Are you sure?

Hoya still couldn't believe Sungyeol's words.

-It's not because of you hyung. I just… I just miss Mom… so much. I think it's time for me to go home.

Hoya was silent no one even himself didn't know what was clenching his heart. Who could imagine among the three of them, it's Sungyeol who gives up first?

-I do. Pack your luggage tonight. We'll go before the dawn.

-I did it already. I just want to say goodbye to Jong.

-Does he know?

-I haven't told him yet.

Hoya stood up. Rubbing his eyes, he said in a whisper.

-I'm going to take a nap for an hour or half. Tell Jong before we leave or he will never forgive you.

As Hoya went to his room, Sungyeol doubted if it was alright to wake Sungjong up, but he knew if he went without saying goodbye his brother would be so upset. Sungjong cried his heart out in Sungyeol's arms when he heard his decission. Hoya, who wasn't asleep at all during that thirty minutes he had asked from Sungyeol, was hearing the two talking. He didn't join, afraid of crying in front of them. He shouldn't cry, he had to be strong for them. He still was blaming himself for all these.

They departed before the dawn, as Hoya had said, leaving Sungjong after he hugged Sungyeol for the last time. Hoya drove in silence, feeling Sungyeol's eyes at him from the backseat. They said nothing, nothing until they arived home in the morning. Hoya stopped the car and turned back to Sungyeol. He was awake. Hoya wanted to smile but he was too nervous. That place, that city, that people made his whole body tremble.

-I'll go first. Maybe they aren't at home.

Sungyeol nodded. As soon as Hoya got off the car, the cold breeze slaped him. There were people passing the road, some where familiar to him and he bent his head not to let them see his face and went strightly to the door. He took deep breath and raised his hand to ring the bell but before he did it, someone opened the door. For a long long second Hoya was not breathing, blinking, and even move his already raised hand. He just starred in his father's eyes who seemed to be going to leave for work.

-Is it you? Here?

-I… I just drove… Sungyeol here.

His father looked around to find Sungyeol there but he saw no one.

-He's sitting in the car.

He said and went to the car, opened the door for Sungyeol to get off. Their father rush to his younger son as soon as he saw the crutches and his leg in the cast. Hoya was helping him to take the crutches. Sungyeol showed his father his innocent toothy smile.

-Dad, I'm back.

-What happened to you?

His father took Sungyeol's arm instead of Hoya, helping him to stand correctly and took him to the house. Hoya went to bring the luggage as he heard his mother's surprised voice.

-Sungyeol-ah! You're here, finally.

He turned back to watch them hugging and crying. Sungyeol was holding his mother tight with one arm leting his tears role down his face. Hoya could hear him whisper.

-I lost everything Mom. Everything.

He wanted to go near, maybe he would get a chance to join the hug, but the way his father came to take the luggage, although his eyes were a little softened now, made him not dare to take a single step. He gave the luggage to his father and heard Sungyeol saying:

-Hoya is here too Mom.

Hoya's eyes moved immediately to the direction his mother was standing. She saw him with her teary eyes, opened her arm as a sign to let him in too, but Hoya was too ashamed to except it. Ashamed of making his brothers to leave home and not taking a good care of them. He was chocked in tears and shook his head. Steping backward to the car, he got on and drove away.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

 

Yejin looked at Dongwoo who was so busy in his papers and then went to her room. She put on her jacket and went to the door, she didn't forget to take the keys with her. Dongwoo stopped what he was doing and raised his head.

-Where are you going?

-Out.

That was the only word she said before closing the door behind her. Dongwoo shrugged and thought maybe he would call Hoya after he finished those papers.

 

She took a taxi to the address she was given by her husband before. This time, she wasn't carrying anything. She just wanted to have a talk. It was Sunday and she would be able to find Hoya alone. It was dark as the sun had completely set. when she walked in the building to the dance studio.

Unlike the last time she had gone there, all the lights were on. The music was so loud that she thought maybe Hoya was parcticing with his trainees. She turned and headed to the glass door. Now the music sounded louder. She expected Hoya to be dancing like a crazy just the same as before, but when she got to the glass door, her whole body flinched at the scene. She opened the door and rushed in. Hoya was lying on the floor motionless and from his clothes, the same trainers and pants, it was obvious that he had been dancing nonstop.

-Hoya, Hoya can you hear me?

And he didn't react. His bangs were so wet on his forehead and he had a fever. Yejin first turned the music off and romed her eyes to maybe find a little towel or something. She saw a little purple thing in a corner and picked it. She took off her jacket. She needed a bowl but there wasn't any so she went to the lockers. There was a small bucket there, maybe used for cleaning, she pick it up and washed that and the small purple towel as well, filled the bucket with water and rushed back to Hoya. As she was drenching the towel in water, she called him again.

-Can you hear me? It's me, Yejin. Why did you get sick?

She rubbed the wet towel on his both arms, neck, and his face. He was too sick to react to the coldness of water on his body. She then put the towel in his forehead and kneeled beside him against the mirrors. He was lying with his head turned to left and his right hand's fingers were clenched. His trainers were torn so Yejin guessed he had been dancing intensly for hours. She didn't know how long Hoya had been in that condition. She was thinking as she heard him mumble.

-No, please, please forgive me. Please… I… No…

Yejin didn't understand any of these words. She just took his clenched fist in her hands and jumped at her place when Hoya half-shouted.

-I should have save him.

She picked the towel only to drench it again in the water. She touched his forehead, he was still burning. His cheeks were red and he was sweatting too much. Maybe she had to take him to hospital but she couldn't lift a man, as strong as Hoya on her own.

-I have no idea what you are saying Hoya. Maybe if I knew you better, I could help.

Hoya frowned and moved his head facing the ceiling. Yejin folded her jacket and put it under his head as a pillow.

-I came here to talk to you, because I was so upset, but it seems as you are more stressed than me.

She turned to Hoya's feet again.

-Look at these poor shoes. You really make them suffer. But, I bet you suffer more.

Hoya was still now. He breathed deeply with his chest moving up and down. His fist was loosening slowly, welcoming Yejin's fingers between his. She starred at his hard face, it was skinnier than before, showing his sharp jawline more clearly. She caressed her hand on his cheeks gently with her other hand, feeling his warmth. His tempreture was lower now. She wanted to stand up and check the other rooms to maybe finding something for him, but her fingers were trapped in Hoya's. She sat back and smiled. That was a new sight of Hoya she was watching. At first, a carring man in the airport when she arrived to Seoul, then mocking and smart at their first private meeting, and now sweet needy, and sick. Another smile, and she wetted the towel. Then she leaned against the mirror closing her eyes. She didn't notice Hoya looking at her with his slightly open eyes.

-I lost my only brother Hoya. And I think I'm loosing Dongwoo too. Because of lying. I didn't even notice I was lying all these years. I'm going back now, to where I was belonged to.

When Hoya saw her opening her eyes, he closed his, pretending he was still asleep. He heard her sighing.

-I wish we could be friends. I've never had a real friend in my life. I'm jealous of Dongwoo.

After a second She stood up and this time Hoya led go of her hand.

-Goodbye, you will never see this bad girl again.

∞∞∞

 

 

Wow! It's really something. I've written this fic during InfiniteH's Pretty promotion era. It's long time ago. But as you some of you have noticed there are som familiar terms. Moonlight, bad girl. Oh my, I didn't even know when Infinite were going to have a comeback then! I guess I had some power of pridicting. Ah~ kidding ㅋㅋㅋ 

Love ya all. Have fun with Infinite's Bad promotion.