chapter 17

Going Crazy (Hiatus)

We're inside a heated cafe, awkwardly sitting down across from each other in a two person table while waiting for the cappuccinos we ordered to arrive. My fingers are playing games, intertwining with each other. Somehow, I get a feeling that Yong Guk is watching me but I  resist the urge to look up and check, fearing that the already fatigued heart of mine will go on a frenzy again.Thus, my head stays down as I deeply examine the surface of the table with little interest which is the only thing I can think of doing.

"Don't you ever wear gloves?" Yong Guk asks from across the table, probably trying to break the ice. I don't blame him. Being in the presence of someone without saying anything can get pretty uncomfortable.

"Yeah... Why?" I manage to speak.
"Because your hands are so red... You must be freezing," he replies, making me feel
slightly delighted with his concern. Unfortunately, the feeling comes to a stop when I spot one of his hands creeping up the table toward mine. Influenced by the panic, my hand immediately pulls back, not wanting my skin to have contact with his. The circumstances I have to feel due to merely feeling his warm touch are just too much.

"I'm alright..." I choke out, not meeting his gaze.

"Sorry..." he says, taking his hand back.

Hearing his apology, I feel guilty causing my mouth to blurt out, "No, I should be sorry..."

"For what?" he asks with confusion in his voice.

"For making you guys worry..." my voice comes out as an almost whisper. I can feel him bending in to grasp onto what I'm saying.

Wanting to let Yong Guk know how sincere I'm being, I finally willingly meet his eyes before continuing on, "It's all my fault that your morning was wasted... I'm sorry."

"Don't even worry about that. It's okay," he ends up assuring me to my surprise.

Even so, the image of those terrifying eyes won't stop replaying in m y head... That resentful expression on his face along with that bitter tone... I don't know why he's letting me slide but it doesn't feel right...

"No it isn't... I shouldn't have don't that... Leaving without telling anyone... And you guys were searching for me all that time too. I feel so bad. I'm sorry for making you mad,” I'm unable to interpret the expression on his face as he stares at me while I explain.

"Don't feel bad. As long as you're alright."

"Really?" I ask. How can he be okay about it when he seemed so angry before...

"Yeah, it was wrong of me to yell at you like that."

"Oh..." I respond, bringing my head back down again. I don't know how react to this but it feels like a burden has been lifted off my chest.

"Is that why you ran away from me?"

"I don't know" I shrug, not wanting him to know how easily affected my feelings can get. There's a brief silence making me curious to why he isn't saying anything anymore causing me to look up and find him staring at me, as if trying to read my face. What is he thinking in his head? It feels like I am being judged through his eyes...

"Your cappuccinos are here," a voice cuts the ‘staring into each other's eyes moment,’ short.

"Oh thank you," Yong Guk says as the waiter sets the cappuccinos on the table. I turn my face away when I feel the waiter's eyes fall on me. If he stares too hard, he might recognize who I am...

With relief, I turn my face back to the front when the waiter leaves and find Yong Guk staring at me again with wonder in his eyes.

"Oh, I was just being cautious just in case he recognizes who I am..." I explain. Looking around, I see that the shop is still a bit empty, fortunately for us. This is a big risk I'm taking in the first place... Being in a public place but I didn't have to do any ordering or anything so it was alright. When I'm outside in busy areas walking home or anything, I'm usually safe because who would take a second glance at an average girl? Underneath all the makeup, I look like how a typical 5 feet 2, woman would. Plus, my bangs, hat and scarf around my neck and part of my mouth keep me well covered in the Winter. It's only when the four of us, Zinger, Hyosung, Sunhwa and I are together is when we have to be really careful of attracting attention.

"Ohh," he nods before taking a sip of the hot beverage. Following his action, I take a sip too, enjoying the warmth radiating from the hot container. Despite the awkwardness with Yong Guk, sitting in a cafe with a nice, warm drink on a cold day without dance rehearsals isn't bad. Especially now that I feel a bit more at ease, now that things are a bit cleared up. All I have to do is look anywhere but at the man in front of me and I'll be alright.

Things are all good for about a minute or so of piece until the dude attempts to break the ice again... "Jieun, why were you following me that day?"

"Huh?" I look up, caught by surprise.

"The first day we met... Remember? After the meeting ended?"

"Oh yea..." I say, looking down again, trying to hide the red forming on my cheeks. I almost forgot about that with everything else that happened... Rummaging through my head, I can't come up with anything to say. All those times I practiced in front of the mirror with myself reciting the lines I planned on saying to him are long forgotten... Now how am I supposed to explain myself?

"Yeah. You told me you were the mailman," a slight smirk appears on his face.

"Oh yea... Um.. About that..." I stumble for words.

"Huh? I can't hear you," he bends in a little closer from across the table.
Speaking a little louder for his ears, I say,  "I uh... I'm not really the mailman," I can see laughter in his eyes. "HEY! Are you laughing at me?!"

"No. Keep going. So why were you following me?"

"I uh... Was just trying to make sure you didn't get lost on your way to the bus stop..."

"You sure...? If you wanted to make sure I was safe, then why didn't you just tell me who you were?" he pries as if he's trying to get me to break.

"I don't know... I just rather be secretive... What's wrong with that?"

"Really? Are you sure you weren't just plain... being a stalker??"

"WHAT?! NO!! Why would I be stalking you?!" I demand in fury.

"Jieun!" he whispers, "Sit down!"  I look around and realize that I'm on my feet and everyone in the shop is starting to turn around. A second passes by with me motionless until it finally hits me to cover my face and sit back down. Ugh... This is so embarrassing! Why Jieun? Why decide to make a pabo of yourself now?

When I take a peek through in between my fingers, I see Yong Guk turned around in his seat, gesturing an apology on my behalf to the other customers. Then he turns back to me, "You can look now."

I let my hands drop and then say, "Sorry..."

"Nah, it's okay. At least I can finally get to hear you now, even if it was a bit too loud..." once again, a smirk appears on his face, making me become senseless again. For a while, the conversation had my heart distracted but seeing Yong Guk smile like that... Agh. Someone call 911!

Taking a smart move, I look away fast just as the the ring tone of a cell phone plays. I neglect it, knowing that my phone is on silent since I didn't want to be disturbed while exercising.

"Yeah, I found her." I turn my head around instantly at the sound of the deep voice. It's Yong Guk speaking into his phone and based on his side of the conversation, I can tell that the person that is being discussed is no other than me. Some guilt finds its way back to me when I realize how worried Hyosung and the others must be right now, while I'm lazily sitting here sipping Cappuccino.

"Hey, let's go," he starts to stand up.

"Where?"

"To get you home," he replies. Oh DUH! How did I not know the obvious? Well... I'm not sure but I think I felt a tiny bit of disappointment run through me just now. Omo! What is this?... Am I, Song Ji Eun, feeling slightly sad about parting ways with Bang Yong Guk?!