Chapter 1

Going Crazy (Hiatus)

 The crisp cool air stings against my face as I walk in the dark night home. The breath I exhale comes out visible and makes me smile as a memory pops into my head of Hyosung, Zinger, Sunhwa and I on a day like this pretending to smoke cigarettes by putting a sort of piece sign in front of our puckered lips. I attempt to do this again but the cold is just too much to bring out two fingers out of their warm and cozy pockets. Lifting my gray scarf higher to my face, I try to hold back my runny nose. My body is shaking as I walk faster to build up heat. I should have brought a heavier coat... Passing by coffee cafes, book stores, and malls, I finally reach the end of the block. Before I can even step forward, the green lights turn to red preventing me from crossing unless I want to get hit by some car. Standing there waiting for the signal to change, the conversation I had with my manager twenty minutes ago comes back to me again... (flashback)

"Ji Eun, let's do a project so people can realize how talented you are. I think it’s time that you try singing solo".

I stare at my manager blankly. Doesn’t she know me well enough by now??? "Solo?.. As in sing by myself?"

"Yes. Sing by yourself on stage under the spotlight".

I look down as I awkwardly utter out the words, "Uh, I don't know if I can do that…" Ms.Parks doesn't pause or show any signs of disappointment so I guess she expected this answer. Maybe she isn’t completely out of her mind.

"I know that you're shy but I know you have the potential. This will help you be recognized as a singer instead of just part of a band. You have amazing talent in singing and it's time for it to be unleashed."

“I do want people to recognize me as a singer but isn’t this too fast?” I search for the words to express what I am trying to say, “I uh don’t feel confident enough on being on stage by myself. Can’t I go more slowly?” I feel like such a coward but as crazy as it sounds with me being on stage all the time, I do have some stage fright. Its

different being on stage with the rest of Secret because I know they’re standing there with me as I sing my parts. You understand right?

“Hmm… I guess you have a point there… Hmm…” Ms.Parks has her fingers on her chin now. Suddenly, as if a bright yellow light bulb lit up above her head, she snaps her fingers. “I KNOW! We could find you a PARTNER to sing with you!”

“Partner?" I questioned.

“And don’t worry. This will be your digital single and your partner will just be featured in it. Now we just have to find that partner who will complement your singing so-"

"AH!" I jumped as a drunk old man comes out of nowhere saying “Hello there fine lady!”

Ugh, great. Without responding and quickly walking away from him, I try to hide behind a colorful tree.

“Why are you avoiding me huh? We could go to my place and…” I don't even want to know what this guy has in mind as I pray that the light would turn green already. Being a 21 year old woman walking in the city lights at 11:00 is not safe but I have no choice because of my schedule.

“I can see you, you know. Come to me…” The light is yellow now. Just 5 more seconds!

I am in his view now and he is reaching out toward me… 3, 2... “EW! DON’T TOUCH ME!” I slam my bag on his head as the light finally turns green, and run for it.

***

"Ji Eun!" Hyosung grabs me as I make my way into cozy house.

"Hey" I manage to mumble out as I take in deep breaths.

"What happened?" she asks as she sits me down in a yellow armchair.

At the sound of the commotion, Zinger runs down the stairs and asks, "What's wrong - hey why does Ji Eun look so scared?!"

About the same time, Sunhwa burst out of the bathroom with a toothbrush sticking out of ,"What Wong?!" she manages to say without getting toothpaste on the rug.

Trying to hide the perplexed expression on my face, I brake out in a fake smile, "I'm alright" and starting unbuckling the belt on one of my brown boots.

"Tell us why your like this!" Zinger takes a seat next to me and put her hand on my shoulder.

"Are you having a hard time breathing. Do you need to go to the hospital?!" Hyosung is feeling my forehead now. They are all overreacting.

“Guy's relax! I'm not sick or anything. I just had a battle with a erted asushi. That's all. " I explain.

"Aw poor Ji Eun. She's so weak and that stupid old guy had to pick on her," Hyosung gives me a tight hug.

"It's okay, I'm alright. I took a whack at him with my bag! It was fun!", I try to calm down there nerves.

Seriously... They're too CARING!

Zinger burst out laughing, "Imagine Ji Eun smacking someone with a bag with her tiny hands. I wish I was there!"

"Hey, what’s THAT supposed to mean?!" I glare at her as I get up to put all my layers of clothing away. Hyosung and Zinger are still laughing when I walk into the living room, fresh and changed into my pajamas. Sunhwa is checking her email now that her teeth is clean and she as well is in her pajamas. She looks up when I take a seat next to Hyosung and across from her and Zinger. Sunhwa puts down her laptop and asks me, “Where were you anyway today? We were thinking of practicing Shy Boy (It’s one of our songs) today.”

“Sorry guys but our manager called me and asked to have a chat over coffee. She thinks that I should do a digital single so I can be recognized more for my talent", I explain

“That’s great Ji Eun! This is good for you.”

“Yeah but how am I going to sing without you guys” I sigh and lower my head.

“Don’t worry, we’re going to be cheering you on the whole time from the back!” Sunhwa gives me thumbs up that goes

perfectly with her elegant smile.

“Fighting!” Zinger lifts up her fist and gives me a big smile. She’s so cute especially with her pigtails. It’s hard to believe that such a cutie like her has such epic rapping.

“Aww thanks guys. They’re going to find me a partner to help with the singing”, I gave them more details.

“Partner? Ooh, is it going to be a boy or a girl?” Hyosung was thinking some weird thoughts. “Because if it's a guy..."

“HEY!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!” I shove her into the couch. “I’m not looking for anyone right now…” I quickly put my hands to my cheeks, trying to cover them. I can feel them heating up.

“AWW, she’s BLUSHING!” she says as she pats her hair back into place.

“Shut up guys… You guys think too far into this stuff. I’m going to bed…” I cross my arms and half stomp to my room. Why do my cheeks betray me at the wrong times?!