Chapter 6

Accidental Love

"Riiiiingggggg!" the school bell rang, which marks the end of school. Areum was already packing her bag, ready to head home since she had no plans for the day. Everyone else was packing too, some even left already, besides Jongin. He was just staring at Areum and when she noticed, she just flashed him a smile and continued packing. 

 
"I'll go first, bye Jongin!" she cheerfully bid him goodbye when she was done. Before she could even take a step forward, Jongin grabbed her left hand, causing her to turn to his direction. She looked down at him and raised her eyebrows innocently.
 
"I-i-i'm hungry.." he mentally scolded himself for stuttering. What the hell was that Kim Jongin?
 
She blinked her eyes in confusion, no idea what his trying to get to. "O-okay, go eat then.." she said bluntly.
 
He mentally sighed this time.. Aishh this girl. Gaining some confidence, he let out a breath and spoke, "What i'm saying is, can you accompany me? That is if you don't mind.." 
 
Areum kept silent. His asking me? Me? Me? Oh right, everyone left.. Wait, so his asking me? What are you thinking Areum, he clearly just said accompany, he needs a companion thats all. Gosh, its just the second day and you're already thinking way too far Areum.
 
Jongin coughed awkwardly when all she did was stare at his gorgeous face without giving him an answer. 
 
"Oh-What-I'm sorry.. Yeah sure! Kaja!" she exclaimed enthusiastically, telling herself to stay in her lane and not expect too much. Weirdly, a pinch of excitement rushed to his body. He honestly thought he was gonna be disappointed by her answer because he expected her to say 'No' or 'Maybe next time', but she managed to prove him wrong.
 
Jongin's POV
 
Yah, what has gotten into you Kim Jongin? You just met her yesterday and you're acting as if you already like her. Great, what am i saying now? I have no idea why but, gosh, i felt nervous when asking her. Its not like i was asking her out right? I mean, i just wanted to eat with her.. outside of school... BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING, does it? Damn, how long has it been since i actually went out with a girl? Oh, right.. That's a long time. To be really honest, i'm actually pretty full right now, and asking her out to eat wasn't in my to do list for the day. But somehow, i just felt like spending some more time with her.. What happened to you Kim Jongin?
 
Author's POV
 
The two students were just walking in silence on the paths of Gangnam street, searching for a place to eat. They've passed by several different restaurants and cafes but none of them said anything about it since they were both too preoccupied with their own thoughts. Areum was thinking about the fact that Jongin asked her out to eat while Jongin was thinking about the tingly feeling he felt inside when he asked Areum out. 
 
All of a sudden, a loud honk was heard coming from their right. Jongin immediately came back to his senses and snapped out from his thoughts, realizing that they were walking towards the zebra crossing, when the traffic light clearly showed a red man. Unaware of where she was walking, Areum continued walking, thinking that she was still walking on the pedestrian way at the sides of the street. Jongin turned to the source of the honkings and then back at Areum. A grey Mercedes was heading towards her direction and he was sure it wasn't gonna stop at any moment now. Without thinking twice, he ran towards Areum to save her before the car could crash the both of them. The sound of the honkings started to faint as the both of them came tumbling down together, leaving them in an awkward position where Jongin was on top of Areum.
 
She was so shocked that her eyes grew so big that it looked as if it was gonna pop out of her eye sockets. Being on top of her allowed Jongin to feel her, not in a ual way— he felt her shaking, obviously surprised with what just happened. He quickly stood up and held out his hand to pull her up. He didn't even care about  himself, all he knows is Areum wasn't fine. Once they were both standing, he placed both his hands on her cheeks and asked, "Yah, gwenchana? Are you hurt? Any injuries? Gosh, what were you thinking?!" He didn't know why he was so worried but it just turns out that he was. 
 
She then grabbed both Jongin's hands and brought it down. "Ah-ah ye, i'm f-f-fine.." She blinked a few times, still not out of her shocked state. Noticing how afraid she looked, he grabbed the right side of her petite hands and held it tightly, as if they were a couple. 
 
"I'm taking you home." he told her coldly as they walked slowly, hand in hand.
 
"But what about food?" she asked softly.
 
"Really?! That's what you're thinking about?! Do you even realize that your leg's horribly injured right now?! What were you thinking Areum, oh my god! That was dangerous alright!" he ranted. He was extremely furious yet he didn't know why. Probably because he lost the person he cared so much for, from an accident and if it wasn't for Jongin's quick reflexes, the same thing would have happened to Areum. He definitely doesn't wanna encounter the same again. Although Areum was just a friend, he just didn't want to lose her. Although they just met the day before, he felt so so comfortable with her already and he must admit that he actually enjoyed her presence. For the first time in 24 months, she was the only person who would actually treat him like a normal person, look at him normally in the eyes without feeling afraid and not avoiding him as if he's a beast. Maybe, just maybe, it's time for him to move on with his life and let go of the past.
 
She looked at him guiltily. "I'm sorry..."
 
"You should be." he replied heartlessly.
 
Throughout the walk to her apartment, there was dead air surrounding them. However, even though he was upset, he didn't let go of her hand. He felt the need to hold on— to protect her because who knows what the hell could happen next. When they reached the lobby of her apartment, she expected him to let go, but instead he stepped in the lift together with her. 
 
"What are you doing?" she asked.
 
"What level?" he asked back, ignoring her question.
 
"8." she replied reluctantly and eyed him suspisicously.
 
He pressed the number 8 button and told her he was gonna treat her wounds. She just kept quiet, knowing that theres no point stopping him since they were already in the lift.