Chapter 30

Accidental Love

Author's POV

As Jieun went to unpack her things in her new room— right beside Jongin's— Areum sat silently in her room as she wondered to herself if what she did would benefit them. She didn't know why she did it but she just didn't want to reveal her true identity to Jieun just yet. She didn't want Jieun to know that she is now Jongin's new girlfriend and also, the thought of telling her the truth scared her a little.

There was a knock on the door, bringing her back to reality from her lost thoughts. Without her answering, the door opened slowly and her heart started to beat abnormally fast when she saw Jongin coming in. She was certain the he'll bombard her with questions and somehow, she was not ready for that.

He closed the door behind him carefully with an unreadable expression on his face. "Areum-ah.." he started softly, as though he was exhausted from everything that happened that day.

Areum naturally stood up on her feet and shifted in her place uncomfortably, knowing what was going to happen next. 

"What was that down there?" he asked. Areum stayed silent and bit her lips. 

"Why didn't you just tell her the truth?" he moved closer to her and placed his hands on her shoulders. 

She looked into his eyes as endless thoughts started to linger in her mind quickly. The thought of him leaving her and their relationship to be put to an end made her afraid and became a great disturbance to her. She didn't want to lose him in any way, ever. But now that Jieun came back, she wasn't sure if she could stick to her desire.

She shook her head and shrugged her shoulders. She removed Jongin's hand from her shoulders and hugged herself. "I don't know Jongin.. Maybe because i just didn't want her to know that you've find her replacement. I didn't want her to get hurt Jongin, maybe that's why.." her voice quivered as she tried to explain herself.

"Replacement? I did not find a replacement Areum. I won't ever consider you as a replacement because that just sounds harsh and absurd. I did not replace anyone Areum. I thought she left. I thought she was dead. So that doesn't count as replacing." he quoted the last word with his fingers. 

"I genuinely fell in love with you Areum. Not because Jieun wasn't there or because i was getting lonely with the life i was living. My feelings for you are sincere and real." he added while Areum turned mute for awhile.

"Is that really what you think you are? A replacement?" he scoffed. She stayed silent, not knowing what to say. It was all wrong, it shouldn't have turned out that way. Jongin shouldn't be mad at her and no one should be upset right now. It is their 1st monthsary anyway. 

She shook her head and tried to reason out again. "No Jongin. That's not what i meant. I just-" 

"You know what, i'm tired." he threw his hand as a sign of surrender and opened the door.

"Jongin, wait-" she called out.

"Just leave me alone." he told her coldly and slammed the door before entering his room.

Areum's POV

What's the matter with him? This shouldn't be the way. We should be celebrating our 1st monthsary together right now. We should be eating dinner at the fancy restaurant he told me about earlier on. We should be talking about irrelevant things and laugh about the lamest jokes he always makes. We should be holding hands right now, staring into each others eyes and telling each other cheesy yet sweet lines. 

But here we are. Trapped in this house where it was pouring a downfall outside. The rain didn't seem to want to stop, making everything seem more dark and gloomy when it should have been cheery and filled with joy.

I don't get why Jongin's so mad at me. Wasn't i supposed to act that way? Neither of this was our faults and i was aware of that. Jieun's sudden arrival was beyond unexpected and it's not like we knew what was coming. We didn't even know she was alive. 

I sighed to myself and fell to the bed. One of the only places where i always felt comfortable in suddenly felt irritating and wearisome. I rolled around my bed in annoyance. I took a pillow, squeezed it to my fullest potential and punched it several times— i just had to vent out some anger. 

I gave it one last punch and threw it to the door as if i was attacking that annoying, sometimes cold hearted, sometimes caring Jongin. And  just then, there was a knock on my door. I certainly hoped it wasn't Jongin because i didn't feel like talking to anyone at that moment, especially him.

I groaned silently and sat myself up on the bed reluctantly. I let out a heavy sigh, stood on my feet and grabbed the pillow that rested lifelessly on the floor before hesitating to open the door. 

I opened it anyway, knowing that the latter outside knew that i was wide awake. 

Author's POV

"Areum-ssi.." Jieun spoke softly and innocently like she never said anything in her life before.

Areum blinked her eyes in confusion and forced a smile that she hoped didn't look anything forceful. 

"Ahhh, ne Jieun-ssi?" she asked nicely despite her bad mood.

"Can i talk to you for a moment? It's  been bugging me for awhile now.." she chuckled half heartedly and scratched the back of her head.

Areum opened her door widely and welcomed her in like it wasn't a huge deal. Because it simply wasn't honestly. Jieun stood around awkwardly in her room and scanned around with an amused smile on her face. 

"I like your room." she admitted, seeing how neat and clean it looked. 

"Ahh, thanks." Areum chuckled awkwardly and gestured her to sit on the bed. 

"so, what brings you her Jieun-ssi?" she sat beside her and asked. Well, why wouldn't it be awkward? Especially when you're in the same room as your boyfriends' ex—or past lover? 

Jieun cleared . "You're not a maid here, aren't you?" she asked but still had a angelic tone in her voice which still seemed very genuine and gentle. It wasn't fake, unlike how most girls would talk to her.

Areum tilted her head as if she didn't understand what she meant by that. Did she know? has she finally found out that i'm Jongin's girlfriend? Did Jongin tell her? Areum repeatedly asked herself.

Jieun smiled. "Why didn't you just tell me you're Jongin's bestfriend?" 

Areum's heart sank. Oh... Well, i guess he understands why I didn't tell her then..  But she still felt a little disappointed that Jongin wasn't planning on telling Jieun the truth either. "Oh." she chuckled. "So he told you i guess.." 

"He did." Jieun chuckled along as if they were telling each other jokes. 

"Why didn't you just tell me, Areum-ssi? For a moment, i was wondering why Jongin would hire this pretty lady here as his maid." she teased but was sincere with her words.

"A-aniyo.." she felt her face heating up. "Mianhe Jieun-ssi. I just didn't want you to have a bad impression of me." she made up a lie. I really am sorry Jieun-ssi. 

She couldn't tell her the truth. Because Jieun once belonged to Jongin, and the fact that she had amnesia would only make things worst if she found out the truth. Areum didn't want to mess up her head than it already has. She wanted to help her remember even if it means that her relationship with Jongin would be affected. 

"You don't have to be sorry. And please, drop the formalities. We're the same age aren't we?" she gave her a smile that showed her teeth. Areum wondered if she would be able to do that anytime soon.

"Sorry, Jieun.." Areum scratched her head awkwardly and smiled sheepishly. 

"Aish, stop apologizing already.." she chuckled. "Anyway, i just wanted to ask you for a favor."

"Okay... Sure, what is it?" Areum asked, having no idea where this was leading to.

"Just help me gain my memories back." The smile she had on her face just a few seconds ago, vanished completely as if it didn't exist in the first place.

"I want to remember again, Areum. I want to remember, Jongin. I want to remember the things i did with him. I want to remember what he was like then. I just want to remember the life i lived before everything turned blank Areum." she avoided Areum's eyes and played with her fingers. She thought she looked pathetic by begging Areum to help her. So she just had to avoid her gaze.

Areum felt really bad for her. How does it feel like to remember only a part of your life and not remember a single thing at the same time? Was it similar to only remembering being in preschool but not remembering being welcomed to the world? She didn't know and she didnt want to know. She didn't want to lose any of her memories, be it good or bad because every memory she had, meant something to her. The good memories gave her a sweet flashback and became her inspiration while her bad memories were mistakes that she had learnt or still needed to learn from. 

"I don't know if Jongin has told you yet but, i wasn't a part of your life before your accident. I only came into his life when we thought you were gone. I can't help you Jieun, and I'm sorry..." Areum told her. 

Even if she and Jongin was lying about her identity— that they were only bestfriends— and that she wanted to help Jieun regain her memories as much as possible, she wasn't capable of doing that because the only time she met Jieun was on that day itself. The first time they met each other was on their 1st monthsary. As much as she wanted to help, she couldn't.

Jieun's face fell in disappointment. She sighed. "It's ok then. I-" 

"But i can try." Areum cut her off, causing Jieun to face her fully this time.

"I mean, i can't help you remember what you don't remember but i can tell you more about Jongin. That's  the best i can do..." she shrugged her shoulders.

Within seconds, Jieun's face lit up at the thought of that. She pulled Areum into an embrace and jumped in her sit. That's how much it means to you huh? Don't worry Jieun, i'll make sure you remember him and the life you had with him before this. Even, if i have to sacrifice my relationship with him.

Areum smiled and patted her on the back. "Thank you, thank you, thank you Areum! Omo, you're so nice! You have no idea how much this means to me!" she said through the hug excitedly.

Areum nodded her head on her shoulders. I know it means alot to you Jieun. I don't know how losing your memory feels like but i do know what it feels like to lose the people you love. 

While Jongin has fallen asleep from his cramped thoughts, the two girls stayed in Areum's room and talked about Jongin throughout the night. 

Areum told her about how sweet and charming Jongin is. How undeniably attractive he is that girls in school wouldn't stop fawning over him. She told her about how Jongin was always so caring yet so hard hearted and how aloof he was when she first met him. She tried to state all the positive traits about him without making it sound like she was describing her boyfriend rather than her bestfriend. It was tough but she tried anyway.

She hoped that telling Jieun about Jongin would somehow trigger her brain to remember at least one thing about him but, there was nothing. Jieun would laugh and smile as she listens to Areum ramble about him but she'd always have a look of disappointment at the end of every sentence as she feels ashamed of not being able to remember any of it.

Areum would pause after every sentence just to allow Jieun to process everything and hopefully remember something, but it wasn't as easy as she thought. 

"It's ok Jieun! You can do this! It will take a while but i know you'll remember! Stay positive alright, you can do it! Hwaiting!"

Why do you sound so eager for her Areum? Why does it sound like you want her to remember? Why does it sound like you're okay with our relationship getting ruined by the end of this? Jongin thought as he stood outside her door blankly, listening to their conversation.