There May Be Hope

Family Feud


Later on that day, Daddy came quietly in my room and sat on my bed. I laid sideways with my back facing him as I stared out of the window. 

He placed a hand softly on my back before say, "Hey, Tae. Are you feeling better?" I nodded and he sighed. "You've been in your room all day. Are you sure you're fine?" I just nodded again. 

Daddy continued, "Well, how do you feel about therapy? I believe we need to do it as a family."

"I'm not going," I said monotoned. 

"Taemin, I'm worried about you. I really am. I love you and it breaks my heart to see you act out like you've been doing lately. I understand that your dad-"

"It's not just Dad!" I snapped. "It's everyone in this house. You and Jonghyun really irk me. It really ticks me off that I'm still treated like a child."

"You're only 15. You are still a child."

I groaned, "I'll be 16 in a couple of months if you've forgotten. Honestly Daddy, if you came to bother me, I'm not in the mood." I knew I was being disrespectful, and I didn't want to be, but I was just so annoyed about everything at the moment.

Surprisingly, Daddy didn't snap at me like he usually would. He calmly said, "Taemin, look at me."

Reluctantly, I turned around and met his worried expression. He held my hands and said, "Baby, tell me what's wrong. Why don't you want to go to therapy?"

I avoided his eyes as I answered. "I just don't want to. I feel like it's a place for people who are hopelessly looking for answers. That's not me. I already know my answer. I need you and Dad. That's all. I was so happy when you two were married. I don't need to go to a therapist to know that."

It was silent for awhile before he spoke again. "I know how frustrated you are about this situation. I know that you want things to be like they used to be, but times have changed, sweetheart. Jonghyun is a great guy. He makes me happy, and I know if you gave him a chance, he could make you happy too."

I rolled my eyes, "But I don't want him. I want my old family back. It's not fair to me that I have to suffer because you and Dad couldn't get along. Why couldn't you two have tried harder to stay together?"

He sighed defeatedly. "It's complicated, kid. You wouldn't understand-"

"Then make me understand. Explain it to me. Why did you two get a divorce? What is it about Jonghyun that's so much better than dad?"

"I think this is a conversation we should be having together with your father. As I said before, it's complicated. There is no straight answer. I'm sorry you've had to be put in this situation, Tae."

I don't know what came over me, but I became so emotional. I choked out a reply as a few tears ran down my cheeks, "I just want to be normal."

"Oh, baby," Daddy said as he pulled me into a hug. "That's why I want us to go to therapy. It could help us all-"

"But I don't want to go," I sobbed in his chest. "I just want Dad around more. I want to feel like the family that we used to be. I don't want Jonghyun, I want Dad!" I became hysterical. It was embarrassing to say the least, but I really didn't care. I was so hurt about everything. 

He rubbed my back and soothed me as I calmed down. I guess while I was getting sympathy, it was a good time to bring up Minho. I slowly lifted my head and faced him. "Daddy, can I have a friend over?"

His brows scrunched as he wiped my tears away. "Honey, I don't think Jongin would be free since he's so busy training-"

I smacked my teeth and rolled my eyes and laid down with my back facing him. "Not him!"

I heard him sigh. "Well, then who else?"

I rolled over and looked at him before asking, "Can Minho come over? Mr. Choi's son?"

"Wait a minute. Minho as in the same boy you've been getting in trouble with lately? Do you really think I would willingly allow him to be around you and cause more trouble?"

"Daddy, he's not a bad guy-"

He scoffed as he crossed his arms. "Sure. A guy that convinces you to sneak out, smoke weed, drink, and go to parties is a great guy," he said sarcastically. 

"It wasn't just him. I contributed to a lot of that too. He didn't force me to do anything."

"And that's what scares me the most, Taemin. You didn't used to be like this. What about your diabetes-"

"I already promised dad I'll stop drinking and smoking. So you don't have to worry anymore."

He stared at me silently before sighing, "Thank, God. I just want you to feel better, baby."

"That's why I want Minho over here more often. I know it's hard for you to believe, but he makes me happy. He's my first real friend that's not Jongin. He listens to me and makes me laugh-"

"But that's what you have Jongin for-"

"He's not my only friend! Ugh, I'm sick of people thinking of me as a loner that has to rely on Jongin as a friend. I can make more friends."

"You're right. You can make more friends and I would hope that those friends would be fine young citizens rather than a sheriff's child that breaks the law himself!"

This was really rubbing me the wrong way. I sat up and said, "You know what? You're just like Dad. Here I am telling you what will make me feel better and you just ignore it! Honestly, what's the point of even talking to you if you don't even listen?!"

"Taemin-"

Jonghyun interrupted by walking in and slowly asking, "Is everything ok? I heard yelling."

Before I could say a snarky comment, Daddy answered, "We're good, honey. Can you give us a minute?"

Jonghyun glanced over at me before looking at daddy again. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah I'm sure. We just need some time alone."

He nodded. "Ok, Bummie. I'll be in the room. I love you."

I saw the grin Daddy was trying to hide. "I love you too." I could just throw up. 

Once Jonghyun was out, Daddy looked at me shyly. I just rolled my eyes. 

"Taemin, are you serious about this Minho guy?"

"Huh?"

"How long have you guys been....you know.."

It took awhile for me to catch on. "Daddy! We're not dating. He's just a really good friend of mine. He makes me feel normal."

He wasn't buying it. "Y'know, we used to tell each other everything. You used to tell me of your crushes and we'd gossip about which idols we thought were hunks. Remember that?"

"How could I not? I begged you every time not to tell dad," I chuckled. 

He grinned. "Yeah, well the sparkle you used to get in your eyes about those crushes and hunks is the same sparkle I see now when you speak of Minho. We may not talk as much as we used to, but I know my own son. So I'm going to ask again, are you serious about this guy?"

I sighed. What was the point in denying? "Maybe a little, but it's not anything too serious. I do like him, but I'm not trying to be in a relationship and he respects that."

"Does he like you too?" He sounded intrigued. 

I smiled thinking about the cheesy texts and things he said on the phone. "Definitely."

Daddy paused before asking, "Does he really make you happy?"

"Well, he doesn't replace you or Dad, but he definitely makes things better."

"Ok, here's the deal. I'll let Minho come over-"

"REALLY-"

"On one condition."

I excitedly grabbed his hands. "What is it?!"

"If he doesn't impress me by the end of his visit, then I don't want you talking to him anymore, and I mean it, Tae."

I furrowed my brows. "That's not fair. You're already judgmental."

"It's either that or I will force you two apart. Take it or leave it."

I groaned. "Fine. I'll invite him over tomorrow, but please be nice."

"I'm always nice."

I scoffed. "Sure. And please, please, please don't tell Dad. You know he doesn't want me dating. If he finds out, he'll kill me."

"Well I wouldn't say kill-"

"Daddy, please."

"Listen, I'm not making any promises. I won't tell him about your friend unless you two officially start dating. I don't even know why we're speaking of dating. He hasn't gotten my blessing."

I mumbled sarcastically, "Like that'll stop me-"

"What was that?"

"Oh nothing," I smiled sweetly. "Anyway, thanks. I know you don't like Minho, but you're giving him a chance. I hope you like him just as much as I do."

--- next day

I scrambled to get ready for dinner. I don't know why I was freaking out so badly. It's not like Minho hasn't seen me at my worst before. I mean he did see me drunk. However, this was a special night. It's the night that I'm going to convince Daddy, and I guess Jonghyun, that Minho's actually a great guy. 

Minho was surprised to say the least when I told him he could come over. I had to warn him to be on his best behavior if he wanted to come over more often. I really hoped tonight would go well. I really need him here for me. 

I finished brushing my hair once I heard the doorbell ring. I hurriedly spritzed on some spray and rushed downstairs. 

"I got it!" I zoomed past Daddy as I ran to the front. 

"Slow down, Taemin," he yelled at me as I reached the door. 

I quickly checked my reflection in the hallway mirror before opening the door. Minho stood there with his charming smile as usual. 

"Hey," he said as he stared me down. "You look nice."

I smiled. "Thanks. Are you ready for doomsday?"

He chuckled. "More than ever. Let's do this."

I stood back and gestured for him to come in. "After you."

Boy, this was going to be a long night. 



Ok, I know it's been FOREVER. You know how life goes :) Anyway, Taemin is starting to slowly open up to Kibum about his feelings. Kibum just wants his little boy back and Taemin just wants his little family back. Let's see what's going to happen next ^.~