A Night Out

Family Feud


 

hey taemin u down for a party tonite?

 

I groaned internally as I read another text from Ravi. It was the third time this week that he attempted to invite me somewhere. I had to decline each time, reminding him that I was still grounded. I was lucky enough to even have my phone, and having visitors over was not an option. 

 

I understood that we hadn’t hung out in awhile, and maybe Ravi missed me, but we see each other at school five days out the week, eat lunch together, and text each other every night. Wasn’t that enough?

 

I quickly replied before returning to read a book for my AP literature class. 

 

Can’t. Still grounded. Studying all night since I have nothing better to do 

 

It had been almost ten minutes since Ravi texted, and I thought that the dude finally got the memo that I didn’t want to be bothered. However, just as I was almost done reading the current chapter I was on, my phone dinged again with a text from Ravi. 

 

i can help you study 

 

I couldn’t help but shout, “Oh come on!” 

 

It’s not that I didn’t want to see Ravi. We were friends after all. It’s just that Ravi’s been acting a little weird lately, and Jongin’s not here for me to run to for a distraction. I certainly didn’t have any other friends to run to, at least not close friends. And there was no way that Minho would ever agree to tagging along with the two of us. So the only choice I had was to avoid being alone with Ravi. At least until he started acting normal again. 

 

It all began when I told him and Jongin about my day with Minho in the group chat we have. I didn’t go into details of course, but I humorously messaged ‘Ya boy got laid ;)’

 

Jongin’s reaction was priceless — him being dramatic, sending barf emojis, saying tmi a million times. It was hilarious. I expected Ravi to react the same way since the guy had such a great since of humor. It’s one of the main reasons I like hanging out with him. However, the only reply I received from Ravi was ‘really,’ as me and Jongin proceeded to message each other in the group chat. I thought that maybe he was tired or something and didn’t feel like texting. 

 

Now two weeks later, Ravi’s been acting very clingy and a bit pushy. He’s been trying to find any reason to hang out with me. It wouldn’t be a problem if he wasn’t being so weird. 

 

Can’t have friends over. GROUNDED 

 

I emphasized grounded hoping Ravi would finally understand that we couldn’t hang out today. I get that it’s a Saturday and there’s lots of parties happening, but I couldn’t even go if I wanted to. I’ve been trying to stay out of trouble lately, and every time I’ve been to parties in the past, things have never ended up well. 

 

pretty please?

 

I let out a sigh to contain myself. I wasn’t sure if I was being an or if he really was being a nuisance. Maybe I was taking my anger out on the wrong person. Ravi’s not really the person I was upset with at the moment, no matter how annoying he was being. 

 

It was Minho. 

 

Lately, Minho and I haven’t been talking as much, mainly due to soccer — no surprise there. I mean, I know it takes up a lot of his time, but I thought that maybe after that passionate day we spent with each other, he would make more of an effort to see me. Sadly, I was wrong. 

 

I know he doesn’t ignore me on purpose, but it’s starting to get frustrating. I want to text him all day, talk to him on the phone all night, go on dates again, you name it. I don’t want to seem selfish, but I can’t help but wish Minho would do a better job at balancing school, soccer, and his relationship. And now that we’ve had , I crave being around him even more. 

 

Maybe that’s why I’m being such an to Ravi. He’s not the person I want to text me. I want Minho. 

 

I sighed as I closed my book, determining that I was being too harsh on Ravi. It’s not his fault that I can’t see Minho. I sent another text. 

 

I’ll ask my dad if you can come over. He may say no. But I’ll try. 

 

Maybe hanging out with a friend would help me get out of the slump I’m in. That’s only if daddy agrees to let Ravi come over since I’m not supposed to have visitors. Then again, I think he mainly meant I couldn’t have Minho over. 

 

I got off my bed and headed downstairs to the living room. As I expected, daddy and Jonghyun were in there cuddled up on the couch. 

 

“Hey, guys,” I said as I rounded the corner. “What are you up to?”

 

They both smiled in my direction before daddy asked, “What do you want?” How rude. 

 

I scoffed. “What makes you think I want something?”

 

“Because since when have you ever been interested in what we’re doing?” 

 

Good point. 

 

I smiled nervously, “Umm, I can’t be interested in what my father’s doing in his free time?”

 

“Just get to the point, Taemin.”

 

I fidgeted. “Ok. Can I have a friend come over today?”

 

“You’re grounded.”

 

“I know, daddy. But, it’s been two weeks and I think that I’ve done a pretty good job staying out of trouble, don’t you think?”

 

He looked at me with a blank face. “You’re still grounded, but nice try.”

 

I groaned. “How much longer can you ground me for sneaking someone in? I’ve apologized a million times. I feel like you’re holding a grudge against me.”

 

He sighed. “No, I’m not. I can’t just keep letting you off the hook whenever you get in trouble, Tae. You’ll never learn that way.”

 

I looked to Jonghyun in desperation. “A little help here?”

 

Daddy turned to Jonghyun with a brow raised and arms crossed daring him to go against him. Jonghyun rubbed the back of his neck nervously now that both of our attention was on him. “Well Bummie, he has a point-“

 

“Here you go again-“

 

“Just listen. I mean, he’s stayed out of trouble for the past two weeks. Plus, it’s not like he’s asking to have Minho over, just a friend.” 

 

Daddy looked at Jonghyun, then to me before staring in front of him. “Why do you two always do this? Taemin gets in trouble, I punish him, and Jonghyun comes to save the day.”

 

Jonghyun sighed before placing his hand on my dad’s. “I’m not going against you, Kibum. You know I respect every decision you make on anything. I’m just a third party trying to see things from every point of view.”

 

Daddy was silent for a moment before looking up at me. “Who is it?”

 

“Ravi. We haven’t really hung out in awhile and I feel bad, so I want to see him today.”

 

“Don’t you guys see each other at school?”

 

I smacked my lips. “But that’s school. We can’t have the same fun at school that we can have at home.”

 

He huffed. “Just this once, and after today, you’re grounded again, meaning no friends. Deal?”

 

I smiled and quickly nodded, “Deal, thanks!” I headed back up to my room to text Ravi. 

 

My dad said yes. You can come over whenever. I’ll study later. 

 

Ravi quickly replied that he’d be over in a few hours. 

 

 

“Taemin!” I heard my dad call my name from downstairs. 

 

I headed downstairs to see him and Jonghyun by the front door. “Where are you two going?”

 

“To see a movie. When is your friend coming over?” 

 

I checked the time on my phone. “Any minute now.”

 

“Ok, I’m expecting for it to only be Ravi here. If I find out you’ve had more people over, or that Minho’s been over here-“

 

“I get it. It’s only Ravi coming over, I promise.”

 

“Ok,” he gave a small smile before giving me a hug. “Have fun, but not too much.”

 

Jonghyun added, “And don’t wait up. We should be gone all night.”

 

Daddy quickly wacked Jonghyun’s arm. “Well don’t warn him! Ugh, just come on,” he scoffed as he walked out the door with Jonghyun following him in pure confusion. 

 

I was always grateful for these moments whenever Jonghyun would purposely let me know how long they’ll be gone from home. Just in the event that I decide to be sneaky, I’ll know the time frame I’ll have before they get back. However, I don’t intend to do anything mischievous tonight. I genuinely want to hang out with Ravi. 

 

 

As I tidied up the living room, I heard a knock on the door followed by a muffled, “It’s Ravi. Open up.”

 

I sauntered over to the door, now in a better mood than earlier. “Hey, dude,” I said as I opened to door to an excited Ravi. 

 

“Party at Yongguk’s house tonight! Get ready,” he ended as he barged passed me into the living room. 

 

I followed behind him with hurried steps. “Excuse me? Dude, I told you I can’t go out tonight-“

 

He paused and looked at me with a puzzled expression. “Oh, you were serious?”

 

“Uh, yeah? Remember me telling you a hundred times that I’m grounded?”

 

He chuckled. “Just sneak out.”

 

Sneak out? I’ve learned from past experience that sneaking out will always end up with me getting caught. “I’m not sneaking out. Besides, I thought you just wanted to hang out today.”

 

“I do. I just thought we both could let loose a bit. I’ve never seen you in action. You don’t want to go?”

 

I sighed. “It’s not that I don’t want to go. My parents will be back later tonight and I’m pretty sure they’ll notice I’m not home. I’m not even supposed to have people over. I can’t go out anywhere. ”

 

“How long will they be gone?”

 

“Don’t know. They just said all night.”

 

“Well good news for you. The party will be all night as well. It’s actually starting a bit early, so we can still go and leave early enough for you to make it home before your parents do.” That sounded very tempting. I hadn’t been to a party in quite awhile. 

 

But what would Minho think?

 

“But my boyfriend-“

 

He cut me off with a groan. “Here we go.”

 

I scrunched my brows. “What?”

 

“Nothing. It’s just that every time you’re about to do something, you act like you need Minho’s permission.”

 

I folded my arms. “I do not.”

 

“Yes you do. You’re your own person, Tae. If you want to go to the party, you can do so without having his approval.”

 

I smacked my lips. “I don’t need his approval. I don’t see where you’re getting this.”

 

He deadpanned. “So you’re telling me that if Minho said he didn’t want you to go, you’d still go?”

 

I paused for a second. I most likely would stay home if Minho didn’t want me to go. But not because he makes decisions for me, but because I don’t want to upset him. It’s not because I need his permission, right?

 

“See?” Ravi said in exasperation. “He has control over you-”

 

“Hey, no one has control over me.”

 

He smirked. “Then prove it. Let’s go to this party. I promise I’ll make sure you’re home before your parents get here. Everything will be fine. That is unless Mr. Choi tells you no.”

 

He was starting to tick me off. He’s making it seem like Minho has authority over me, which he doesn’t. Yeah, I respect his opinions and decisions on certain things because that’s the way a relationship works. However, it’s not like he has a final say over what I do. I don’t get where Ravi is coming from. 

 

He pushed again. “Come on, Tae. I promise you we’re going to have a lot of fun. Minho doesn’t even have to know about it.”

 

Minho doesn’t have to know? Should he know about it? Should I even have to tell him in the first place? Now I’m confusing myself. 

 

I sighed. “Are you sure that we’ll be back before my parents get home?” Why am I even considering this?

 

A smile slowly crept up on his face. “Definitely. I do this all the time, dude. No worries. We should be back before 11.”

 

This was probably a bad idea, and if Jongin were here, he would probably tell me not to do it. “Ok. I’ll go.”

 

He clapped his hands in excitement. “Woo! Great, let’s get ready.”

 

 

Ravi was right about the party starting early. It was only 6:47 and the yard was already full of cars. 

 

“Wow,” I said as Ravi parked on the side of the road. “There’s already a lot of people here.”

 

“Told ya.”

 

“Who’s party is this again?”

 

He shrugged. “Some dude I know from the baseball team. He told me I could show up if I wanted and I could bring someone.”

 

I nodded. “Oh, ok.”

 

“I heard it’s some college people here too. I’m not sure why, probably because of the free booze.”

 

“So this guy just lets anyone come to his house?”

 

“I guess. Not my problem. I just show up to have fun.”

 

“But how well do you know him?”

 

He sighed before giving a comforting smile. “Taemin, stop worrying and just have fun, ok? I’ll make sure you’re taken care of tonight, and you don’t have to worry about making it home on time. I’m not even going to drink since I have to drive. You on the other hand, I want you to let loose.”

 

I chuckled. “I’m not myself when I’m drunk. So it’s probably best that I don’t let loose.”

 

“You say that now, but I have a feeling that’ll change when you get a drink in your hand.”

 

Boy, was he right. 

 

Not even a second into the party, someone was already offering shots claiming, ‘No one can set foot in this house without taking a shot!’ I began to wonder how much alcohol they had on hand if they actually had enough for everyone to take a shot. 

 

The feeling of alcohol going down my throat almost felt foreign. Almost. I quickly got used to it as I kept being offered more and more alcohol throughout the night. Ravi made it his mission to make sure I always had a cup in my hand. 

 

Of course, I was making sure I didn’t overdue it. I didn’t want to end up with alcohol poisoning or something. However, I took Ravi’s advice and decided to let loose. I mean, I stayed out of trouble for the most part, and I also studied and was doing well in school. I deserved a break. 

 

He also happily posted pictures and videos of the two of us on my Snapchat account, which confused me a little because he has his own account, but it wasn’t a big deal. I was really looking forward to looking back at those Snaps when I was a little more sober. 

 

I stood by the stereo waiting for Ravi when I noticed a guy walking up to me with a smile on his face. I gave a friendly smile back as he approached. 

 

“Hey! You look familiar. Aren’t you Minho’s boyfriend?”

 

I raised my brows in surprise. “Yeah? Why?”

 

He loudly boasted, “Oh! It’s nice to finally meet you! I’m his teammate, Taecyeon. He talks about you all the time.”

 

Not gonna lie. My heart fluttered a little when he said that. Minho talks about me to his teammates? All the time? “Really?”

 

Taecyeon nodded, “Yeah. He’s always bringing you up at practice. He even showed us pictures of you in the locker room saying how cute you are and how lucky he is. Did Minho come with you? I didn’t know he was coming to the party?”

 

“Oh, no. I came with someone else.” 

 

At that moment, Ravi came up behind me, lightly touching my waist. I noticed Taecyeon’s eyes travel down to Ravi’s hand, causing me to move it out the way. I didn’t want him getting any ideas. 

 

“This is my friend Ravi.”

 

“Ravi,” the teammate pondered on the name. “Your name sounds familiar, but nice to meet you.”

 

Ravi nodded his way. “Same to you.”

 

“Make sure you take good care of him. He’s precious cargo,” he joked, but Ravi didn’t seem to like his humor. 

 

“I got this. Mind your own damn business.” Before Taecyeon could respond, Ravi grabbed my hand and dragged us away from him. 

 

I quickly said, “Nice meeting you,” as I was led to the kitchen. 

 

Once we made it, I let go of Ravi’s hand and asked, “What was that about?”

 

“What was what about?”

 

“You were rude to that guy back there. What for?” I tried my best to sound serious, but I slurred just a little. 

 

“I wasn’t trying to be rude. Don’t worry about it.” He handed me another beer, but I declined. 

 

“I think I’m good now. I don’t want to get too faced. My parents aren’t stupid. They’ll notice something’s up with me.” 

 

He nodded his head and I decided to check my phone. There was a missed text from Jonghyun and a missed call from Minho. My eyes nearly bulged out of my head realizing I’d missed a call from Minho. I quickly redialed his number, but sadly it went straight to voicemail. 

 

I decided to check Jonghyun’s text, which nearly caused me to sober up. 

 

Be home in 15

 

Now, I’m not sure if he was telling me they’ll be home in 15 minutes or that I should be home in 15 minutes, but either way, that text was enough for me to spring into action. 

 

“Crap! Ravi, we have to go. My parents will be home soon.”

 

He visibly deflated. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay longer-“

 

“Dude, if you ever want to hang out with me again, it would be wise to drop me off at home now because if I get caught, I won’t be going anywhere for a long time.”

 

That seemed to snap him out of whatever daze he was in and we headed out the door to his car. It takes approximately 10 minutes to get to my house from the party, and with the way Ravi drives, he could probably cut the time down to six minutes. 

 

After putting on our seatbelts, Ravi sped us to my house. Thankfully, when we got there in about five minutes, so that gives me some leeway. 

 

As we pulled up to my driveway, I noticed a car that looked nothing like either of my parents’. As we got closer, I quickly realized whose it was. Minho stood there leaning against the side of his car, arms crossed, with an expression that didn’t look too happy. 

 

“Stop right here,” I told Ravi as we were halfway up the driveway. 

 

“You don’t want me to walk you to your door?”

 

“No, it’s fine. My boyfriend’s here and he looks pissed. It’ll probably be best if you’re not around.” He mumbled something under his breath that I couldn’t catch. “Thank you for taking me out tonight. I really had fun. I’ll see you at school Monday, ok?”

 

As soon as I got out the car, Ravi backed out the driveway speeding down the street. I slowly walked up to Minho, hoping this conversation would be fast since my parents will be home soon. 

 

He met me halfway before I could reach him. “Who was that?”

 

“Does it matter-“

 

“Just answer me.”

 

I scrunched up my eyebrows, not liking his attitude. “Ravi. Why?” The look on Minho’s face told me this would not be a good convo. 

 

"What are you doing still hanging out with Ravi?" 

 

“What you mean? He’s my friend.”

 

“But didn’t I tell you I don’t like you hanging out with him?”

 

Suddenly, Ravi’s prior argument made sense to me. “Minho, you don’t control me. I’m my own person-“

 

“Control you? When have I ever controlled you? I’m just trying to let you know how I feel. And you know what? It's funny how you barely have time to be with me, but you have all the time in the world to hang with your friends." 

 

“Um, excuse me? Are you delusional? I’m the one that doesn’t have time for you? It's not my fault that you let soccer consume you so much that you can never hang out with me. What do you expect for me to do? Sit around and mope until my boyfriend gets out of practice? You're the one that encouraged be to make new friends in the first place!”

 

"Yes, friends. Not one friend who just so happens to be Ravi. You’re all on Snapchat posting pictures and of you guys together, smiling and hugging closely. Do you know how this makes me look? I have people on my team questioning the validity of our relationship because you're out here all over Ravi at a 

party. Very intimate pictures might I add." 

 

Ok, now I was getting irritated. “So you're mad that I actually made one good friend that I actually have a lot in common with?”

 

"No I'm mad that your so-called friend doesn't respect boundaries!" 

 

“What boundaries?”

 

"Don't play dumb, Tae. I've seen the pictures and videos. The guy looks at you like you're dinner. I saw how close he stood next to you." 

 

I let out a humorless laugh. “Dude you're jealous.”

 

"This isn't about jealousy. It's about the fact that my boyfriend is on social media getting mistaken as being a love interest for someone else." 

 

I scoffed. “Wow, Minho. Get over yourself. I'm just out having fun with a friend. Besides, Jongin’s usually with me anyway. It's not just the two of us all the time.”

 

“Yeah, but Jongin’s not here is he? And neither was I.”

 

 I snapped, “You know what? Maybe I like the attention Ravi gives me.” I knew after saying this, there’s no going back. 

 

Minho raise his brows, "Oh, is that so?" 

 

I milked it for what it’s worth. “Yeah. Maybe if you showed the least bit of attention to me, I wouldn't have to go out with other people to get it.”

 

Minho surprised me with his outburst. "Do you think I've been out here just ing around?! Yes, I've been busy with sports, but for a good reason. My team depends on me and I’m depending on soccer to get me a great scholarship. What part of that don't you understand?! How many times are we going to have the same ing argument?!" 

 

“I understand every bit of it. But that doesn't mean that I'm just going to sit around and do nothing while you're busy. I want to have fun too! So that's why I hang out with Ravi and Jongin. At least I don't feel abandoned by them. I mean, ! Even after having with you, I can’t have you to myself. Dammit, did it not mean anything to you at all?!”

 

“Now you know that moment was just as special for me as it was for you. I would never you then toss you to the side.”

 

“Oh, really? You have a funny way of showing it.”

 

"Taemin, I'm doing the best I can-" 

 

“Well, you're not doing enough. So as long as you're focused on soccer, I'll be focused on my new friend.”

 

Minho abruptly walked away from me saying, “You know what? You wanna spend all your free time with him because he gives you attention? Go ahead. I'll give you all the space you ing want!”

 

Space? I never asked for space. I don’t want space. 

 

My heart dropped. “What does that mean?” Minho ignored me as he got in his car and started up the engine. “Minho! Tell me what that means!”

 

He yelled back “Whatever you want it to!” He slammed his car door shut and sped off.  

 

I looked on, consumed by the silence that remained as Minho got further away from my house. My mind started racing thinking about what Minho said. I never said I wanted space. I actually want the opposite. I want Minho near me at all times, showing me that he loves me instead of saying it. Was that too much to ask?

 

Ok, maybe I said some things to piss him off a little, but that’s only because I was so frustrated with our situation. I didn’t mean for him to think that I want to hang out with Ravi more than him. That would never be the case. Tears started forming in my eyes because of the argument and the confusion on the status of our relationship. 

 

What are we? Because of the ambiguity of Minho’s words, I can’t tell if we’re broken up or still together. Are we on a break? It’s not like I can call or text because Minho keeps ignoring my efforts to reach out to him. 

 

I sniffed as more tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t believe it. This was the biggest fight we’d ever had. I wasn’t sure how to handle it. 

 

I noticed Jonghyun’s car turning into the neighborhood, making its way down the street. I quickly ran inside the house, up to my room, and locked the door before flopping on my bed and crying all night. 

 


 

Hey guys! Sorry I can never give Taemin a break. There’s always something going on with him, and the next chapter isn’t going to be any better for him, oopsies!

Anyway, I’m glad to be back! Summer break has officially started for me so I can focus more on stories. As a heads up, I’ll be gone for the month of June to Bulgaria for a study abroad. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep updating. 

Also! I have a new fic out, even though that was probably a bad idea since I’m not finished with this story and my other story. However, check out Paranormal.

 

Hope you guys enjoyed ^.~