Dinner

Family Feud


To say this was an awkward dinner would be an understatement. The interrogation started as soon as Minho walked through the door. Daddy and Jonghyun didn't try to hide their snide remarks nor the side glances they threw Minho's way, but thankfully, Minho was handling the situation better than I would have if I were in his shoes. 

It all started with Minho's attempt to shake Daddy's hand as a greeting. Instead of appreciating Minho's effort in being polite, Daddy criticized him for not bowing 90 degrees. All I could do was roll my eyes as Minho scrambled to correct his mistake because I knew that Daddy was just looking for reasons to pick at Minho. 

Unlike my usual self, I've been silent this whole time as they've been antagonizing Minho. Simply because I knew that if I was on my best behavior, Minho would have more of a chance of coming over more often.  

When it came to sitting at the dinner table, Jonghyun used that as an opportunity to criticize Minho for not pulling my chair out before sitting down as if I were some damsel in distress. It took a great amount of effort to bite my tongue before I could say something slick to Jonghyun. 

And that leads to me and Minho currently sitting across from Daddy and Jonghyun as they basically grill Minho alive. 

"So Minho," said Daddy, "Do you have any real goals in life? I'm sure smoking pot and getting drunk aren't things that can turn into real careers."

I groaned internally as Daddy brought up the drugs and alcohol again. We only got caught once with each. He just can't seem to let the past go. I know that if he just gave Minho a chance, he would see that he's not so bad. If anything, he may be even better than myself based on my past actions. 

Nevertheless, Minho handled the situation like a champ. He cleared his throat before saying, "Well, I plan on becoming a professional soccer player. I'm the captain of my soccer team at school and I already have scouts looking at me. When school starts back, soccer will be the only thing I'm focused on."

Daddy raised his brows, "Oh, so that means the last thing on your mind will be my son. Correct?" Of course, he would find a way to turn that positive statement into something negative. 

Minho became flustered. "Um - well - that's not what I meant by that. I only meant-" 

Jonghyun cut him off, "That you'll keep Taemin around then drop him when it's convenient for you?"

"Wha- no! That's definitely not what I meant, sir."

Daddy continued, "Then what did you mean? Friends or not, I will not have my son looking like a fool because he blindly believed in some high school jock."

"Daddy," I said desperately. "Please stop."

He said innocently, "What are you talking about? I'm just having an honest conversation with your friend Minho. Is there a problem? You guys are just friends right?"

I sighed and played with my food with my fork. "Yes, Daddy. We're just friends, and I would appreciate it if you didn't make my friend feel uncomfortable right now."

Jonghyun answered, "We're not trying to do that. We're just asking questions that we feel need to be asked only because we care about you, Taemin." I just rolled my eyes and stared at my plate. "So, Minho, how have your past relationships been? Why are you single and not out chasing after some hot broad?" 

Though the question was unjustifiable, I was also curious about his answer. We never got to talk about his past relationships. 

"I've been single for about a year now-"

"So just a year ago you were invested in another relationship. What happened, huh?"

"Well...she broke my heart." She? I never knew he was into women as well, even going as far as having a girlfriend. 

Daddy intervened, "That's sad to hear. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I guess you can see why we're interrogating you because we don't want Taemin to go through the same thing." Minho nodded. "I have a question though. You said she. So does that mean that you're biual or is Taemin the first guy you've liked?"

Great question. 

Minho took a moment to think. "Taemin's the first. Before him, I dated three girls. One in middle school. One during freshman year. And the last one was sophomore year, the girl that broke my heart."

Jonghyun hummed before saying, "How are we supposed to know Taemin's not just some experiment for you to discover your uality."

"Well, during freshman year, I knew there was something different about me. I became more attracted to boys, but I never gave it much thought. I was too afraid to tell my parents because I didn't know if they would be disappointed in me. So I dated girls to try to force myself into liking only them. After my last relationship ended, I knew there was no way I could keep lying to myself. I promise you, Taemin isn't an experiment for me. He's just awesome." 

Suddenly my plate became the most interesting thing to look at as I tried to hide the small grin on my face. 

"Good answer," Jonghyun replied. "Believe it or not, I used to be into women as well. All it took was that one special guy to turn me around." I looked up to see him and Daddy gazing into each other's eyes. It usually would've made me want to barf, but it was a really touching moment that deserved to be recognized as such. 

I decided to ask Minho, "Do your parents know about you now? Your uality?"

Minho tensed before nodding. "They do. Mom was more accepting than Dad for obvious reasons. We didn't talk for awhile until he explained to me that he wasn't upset. He told me he felt like he had failed at being a dad?"

Daddy asked, "How come?"

"Because he tried his best to toughen me up, which he did by instilling discipline into me as a child and forcing me to play sports. He wanted me to get married to a woman and have children to continue the Choi legacy. I guess I can see how he would be upset. That's why I try so hard at soccer now. I've messed up everything else he's ever wanted for me. The least I could do is become an all-star soccer player and make him proud."

As time went on, I noticed Daddy and Jonghyun becoming more comfortable around Minho. Much of that is due to him being to sincere and honest. I'm so appreciative of that. Getting sympathy points are better than no points at all. 

"I do have one more question," said Daddy. "Minho, what are your intentions with my son? I would really hate for you guys to grow close, closer than I'm willing to allow, and you break his heart. I know you guys say you're just friends, but I was a teen before and I know how things operate. So please, the both of you, just be honest with me. Tae, I promise I won't tell your father, but I want to know what's going on."

I sighed and nervously looked at Minho. He looked at me as well before bravely answering my father without any hesitation in his voice. "To answer your first question, I don't have any bad intentions with Taemin. I know it may be hard to believe since we've gotten into some trouble before, but I swear to you that Taemin means way more to me than a wild night.  When it comes to our relationship status, it's true that we're just friends. Since we're being so honest, if it was up to me, Taemin and I would be together."

Upon hearing this, I swiftly looked at him, not knowing that he would go this far in his explanation. I mean, I shouldn't be surprised that he feels this way, but we've never really voiced our feelings to each other about going to the next step. We've always skipped around the subject and flirted playfully, but for him to actually say how he truly feels in front of my family, that's huge. 

He continued, "I respect Taemin enough to not force anything on him, and knowing Taemin," he glanced at me and smirked as he finished his sentence, "we all know how hard-headed he can be when he doesn't want to do something."

Though his comment made me scowl and roll my eyes, surprisingly, it caused Daddy and Jonghyun to let out a light chuckle.

"Anyway, Taemin's a good friend of mine that I actually cherish. Whenever he's ready to go that extra step, I'll be waiting. That's it."

Daddy cooed, "That's so sweet. Really. You've proved yourself worthy tonight, Minho."

I perked up, "So does that mean he can start coming over now?"

"Hmm, I don't know. What do you think, Jonghyun?" Daddy looked at Jonghyun for an answer. 

Jonghyun sighed. "Well, so far, I see no problem with letting them hang out, but I only have one condition. It must be supervised." As I groaned, Jonghyun clarified, "We don't have to be in the same room as you two, I just don't want you home alone with him."

I smacked my lips, "But Daddy lets Jongin come over here when it's me at home. What's the difference?"

Daddy answered, "The difference is Jongin's just a friend, a longtime friend of the family. I'm uncomfortable leaving you two alone. Tae, just be satisfied we even said yes in the first place."

As much as I didn't want to admit it, they were right. This dinner could've gone horribly wrong, but by some miracle, Minho was able to convince Daddy and Jonghyun that he's not a bad guy. I guess we'll take what we can get. 

I smiled slowly as I stood up and went to the other side of the table to hug Daddy. I kissed him on the check before saying, "Thank you so much."

Much to Jonghyun's surprised - and my own - I hugged him as well, expressing my gratitude. 

The rest of dinner went on lightheartedly, Minho winning Daddy over with his humor and Jonghyun over with his interest in sports. Who knew they would have had something in common? I could only watch on with a satisfied grin. This was the happiest and most content I had been in awhile. 

As dinner came to a close, Daddy announced, "Well, it's getting kind of late now. Minho, I'm sure your dad will be wondering where you are by now."

He chuckled as he answered, "Yeah, but I'm used to it by now. Being a sheriff's son never gets old. Anyway, it was nice meeting the both of you," Minho said as he shook hands with Jonghyun and Daddy. 

"It was nice meeting you as well. I'm guessing I'll be seeing you at Taemin's party as well." Crap. It didn't dawn on me to invite him since I never thought Daddy would be ok with me being around him. 

Minho's brows scrunched, "What party?"

Daddy snickered, "Taemin, you didn't invite your friend to your own birthday party?"

I shrugged, "I never thought you would allow it. Minho, it's in a couple of weeks so I'll just text you the details."

"Ok, I'll definitely be able to come."

Daddy intervened, "Invite your parents too. It would be nice to speak with them again."

Minho nodded, "I'll see if my dad is off of work around that time, but I'm positive my mom will be free to come." 

"That's great. Well, it's getting late now. Taemin, show out your guest."

I nodded and grabbed Minho's arm, "Come on, Minho. I'll walk you out." He gave a final bow to daddy and Jonghyun as I led him outside. 

Once we were outside we were greeted with the star-filled night. We stood on the porch in silence, neither one of us ready to say goodbye. 

I grabbed Minho's hand and looked nervously into his eyes. "It wasn't so bad, was it?"

He smirked. "Not at all. I knew I would be able to handle it."

"I'm glad. You've done the impossible and made Daddy like you. That's not always an easy task."

He chuckled, "I see. I was so nervous, my balls were sweating-"

"EW," I instantly retracted my hand from Minho's, my reaction causing a boisterous laugh to erupt from him.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding!" He reached for my hand again as his laughter died down, his expression becoming more serious. "I like the feeling of your hand in mine. It's nice."

A blush crept onto my face as I avoided eye contact. "Yeah, I like it too, but" I sighed, retracting my hand again. "We shouldn't be doing this. We're friends. You know how I feel about relationships."

"Then let's be friends," he said as he grabbed my hand again, continuing this game of tug-of-war. "I promise I'm not trying to force my feelings into you. I just," he paused and looked off before continuing, "I really like you. I can't hide it, but I can respect your wishes of not wanting to go too far. Just don't make me feel like I have to pretend like my feelings aren't there, the same feelings I know exist inside of you for me."

I tugged my hand away, running it through my hair in thought. He was right. I did like him and I already know he knows it. It's not like I want to be this way. I wouldn't mind giving our relationship a chance. However, my past is holding me back. Not my past with drugs or even my past with my fathers, but something I've never told anyone about, not even Jongin who basically knows me from the inside out. It's the very thing that makes me avoid the topic of therapy every time Daddy brings it up because I have always been afraid that it'll end up becoming a topic of discussion. 

I can't let that happen. 

I moved closer to him. "Minho, trust me when I say it's too complicated to get into right now. I just need a friend to be here for me, and you've been doing that better than my own best friend. I want you to continue being the supportive person that you are to me. Please. You're the only person who I've given my trust to lately. Don't make me regret it."

He looked at me thoughtfully before nodding. "I understand. Whatever happened to you must be really serious and hard to bring up. I can only hope that you'll tell me one day so we could tackle the issue together, but I won't pressure you. I'll always be here for you, ok?" He finished holding up his pinky. 

I could only laugh as I went on with his childish antics. "Ok," I whispered as I hooked my pinky finger around his and sealed the promise with a press of our thumbs together. 

Just then there was a tapping noise and I looked over at the window to see Daddy standing there with Jonghyun, signaling that it was time to come in. 

I sighed and turned to Minho. "I guess we should get going."

"Yeah, my phone's been vibrating for the past couple of minutes now and I already know it's my dad."

"I don't want you to go."

He grinned. "I don't want to leave. However, I'm finally on your dad's good side and I intend to stay that way." 

I extended my arms asking for a hug. He hesitated at first, probably paranoid about Daddy, but he engulfed me into a warm hug, a promising hug that entailed much more than the outer surface led on. He may not be able to tell, but that hug meant a lot to me. It gave me comfort in the fact that he was there and was going to be by my side. I could only hope that things would stay that way. 

"Umm, Taemin?"

He drew me out of my thoughts. "Hmm?"

"You have to let go now. I won't be able to leave with you still wrapped around me."

I inhaled deeply and exhaled before letting go. "I'll text you later tonight. Now get home before your dad beats your , Choi."

"Hey, while you're playing you might be right. Anyway, I'll finally get going now. I gotta help my dad out at the station tomorrow."

I raised my hand to wave, but Minho pressed his hand against mine and laced our fingers together. "Hyung, go already," I whined. 

He chuckled before pulling me into a final hug. "Ok, I'm gone. Bye, Taemin."

"Bye," I waved as he walked to his car. I watched him back out of the driveway and drive down the street before deciding to finally go inside of the house. 

Once inside, I was faced with knowing grins from both Jonghyun and Daddy. 

"Sooo," Daddy began, "What was taking so long?"

I rushed passed him as I felt my cheeks become more heated. "None of your business. Goodnight." I tried to rush upstairs but I was caught by Daddy's firm voice to get back downstairs. 

I met them in the living room, covering my cheeks to rid of the lingering blush that didn't want to leave. 

"Awww," Daddy cooed, "Jonghyun, look. He's blushing."

I groaned playfully, "Please don't make this anymore embarrassing than it has to be."

Jonghyun joined, "He's right, Kibum. Let's stay out of his business."

Daddy pouted, "But I just want to know what they were talking about on the porch to have my baby blushing so much-"

"Kibum"

Daddy pouted cutely. This isn't a side of him that I get to see so often since we're always fighting. It kind of warms me to know that Jonghyun's the cause of Daddy's happiness. The way I feel when I'm with Minho, it just makes me wonder if that's the way Jonghyun makes Daddy feel. If so, it makes me feel kind of guilty to know I've been giving him such a hard time and he's been doing nothing but making Daddy happy. Why has it taken me this long to realize this?

"I'm sorry," my abrupt apology  suddenly ended Daddy and Jonghyun's light bickering as they looked at me with confused expressions. 

Daddy asked with worry, "Honey, what are you sorry about?"

I looked down before sitting on the couch, both of them doing the same as they sat on my left side. "I'm sorry for being so rebellious and causing so much drama between the three of us. I'm mostly sorry to Jonghyun. I've called you so many names and purposely excluded you when you've done nothing wrong but love Daddy to the best of your ability. It's not your fault that my parents split, but I kept blaming you. It not fair."

Jonghyun answered, "It's ok, Taemin-"

I quickly shook my head, "But it's not. You're so nice and you've never treated me like a step-child. I never told you how much I appreciate that."

Daddy asked, "Taemin, what brought on all of this."

I smiled to myself. "Minho. When I'm with Minho, I'm not angry anymore. I feel light and like I have somewhere there to lean on. It just made me realize that if that's the way Jonghyun makes you feel, how could I ever be mad at that? Is that how he makes you feel?"

I watched Daddy smile and lace his fingers with Jonghyun before answering. "Always. Everything you described is how Jonghyun makes me feel. It's why I fell in love with him in the first place."

I hesitated before I could ask the tough question that was bound to come out. "Is...is that why you left Dad? Did he stop loving you?"

At the mention of Dad, I noticed Daddy's smile slowly fade. I knew it would be a tough question, a question that always went avoided, but it was something I needed an answer to. 

 "Daddy?" I called to get his attention once he showed no signs of speaking. 

He sighed before answering, "Taemin, it's complicated. I always told Jinki that whenever we tell you about the reason we divorced, it would be with us all together because a lot of things have to be explained."

I restrained from asking another question, seeing that Daddy was obviously uncomfortable. However, I do feel like there was some type of truth to my statement. Did Dad stop loving him? Or am I looking at this too deeply? I don't know. 

To lighten the mood, I joked, "I think Minho should come over more often. It makes me love you two more." And as predicted, it caused Jonghyun and Daddy to laugh. 

Jonghyun chuckled, "Nice try, Taemin. Anyway, I accept your apology. To be honest, I was starting to accept the fact that you might hate me for the rest of your life. I'm happy that you appreciate my efforts in keeping your dad happy, and I want you to always know that I love you. I know it maybe uncomfortable for you to say it back to me, but it's ok, Taemin. I want us to be close so don't ever feel like you can't come to me."

A small smile made its way to my face, "Thank you, Jonghyun."

Daddy clapped excitedly. "This has been a great night. It's nice to see my Taemin is maturing a little." He kissed my cheek and pulled me into a hug. "I love you, honey."

"I love you too, Daddy."

"Now go up to bed, you're still grounded, remember?" 

Crap. I was hoping that this heartwarming night would have made him forget. I guess I was wrong. 

I whined, "Daddy, come on."

"Oh, stop whining. You may be off of punishment sooner than later if you keep up this good behavior."

I stood up and stretched as I said, "Well, I guess I'll go now. Good night." They both wished me good night and I headed upstairs to my room. 

I dreamily flopped onto my bed as thought of Minho. That night we talked all night on the phone until he fell asleep on the line. I could only snicker as I remembered him saying that I would fall asleep first. It was actually quite cute. 

I could only hope that life could only go up from here. 



Ok, it's been awhile since I've updated this story, but I hope that this was a good chapter for you guys! :)