The Next Step

Family Feud

 

 

A/n: in honor of Jonghyun, I just wanted to make a lighthearted chapter involving him and Taemin. We all know how estranged their relationship tends to be in this fic, so I wanted to bring positive vibes this chapter. 

 


 

 

Ever since my conversation with Minho, I’ve been feeling a lot happier lately, as cliche as it sounds. Not only was I able to talk to him about my past, but I was also able to tell Jongin about it a few days ago. Boy, was that something. 

 

Jongin was so upset when I told him what happened to me. Who could blame him? But I was proud of the fact that I was able to tell him the story without breaking down. I owe that to Minho really. He’s truly been like a therapist, talking to me about my experience, asking about my feelings, and above all, doting me with the love and attention I’ve wanted from him for the past couple of weeks. Now I can confidently say that our relationship is moving in the right direction. 

 

I laid sprawled out on the living room couch texting Minho when I began to overhear Jonghyun’s phone conversation in the kitchen. 

 

“What do you mean you can’t make it?” There was a pause before he continued. “Come on Kibum. I can’t just cancel.” Another pause. “I’ve already made reservations.......We can’t just reschedule. We’ve been on the wait list for weeks to eat at this restaurant. I thought we both made plans to clear our Friday schedules for date night tonight.” There was one more pause accompanied by a sigh. “Alright, Kibum. I understand. Enjoy your night at work....yeah, I love you too.”

 

At that, Jonghyun walked into the living room and plopped down onto the adjacent couch before letting out a groan. 

 

There was an awkward silence before I decided to ease the tension. “So.... your date stood you up?”

 

He lifted his head to look at me, then let out a small chuckle. “Yeah, he stood me up. He has to work later than expected tonight.”

 

“Mmm,” I hummed. I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to respond. “That .”

 

“Yes, it does.” There was another moment of silence before Jonghyun decided to spill his guts. “It’s just frustrating, y’know? Kibum always complains about me needing to be more romantic. He says I need to put forth more effort in the relationship. But right when I do something nice for him, what happens? I get blown off. Guess what I did? I reserved seats weeks in advance at one of the most expensive restaurants in Seoul because I know it’s the one Kibum’s been wanting to visit for the longest time. But no. Right when I set it up for him, he’s too busy with work to go on a date tonight. News flash! It’s called planning ahead,” he ended his little rant with a deep breath to calm himself down. 

 

I raised my brows in surprise, “Are you really venting to me about my own dad right now?”

 

Jonghyun grimaced as he answered, “I guess I am. Sorry?”

 

“No, it’s ok. I understand. I think Daddy’s annoying too.” We both chuckled. 

 

He sighed. “It’s not that he’s annoying. Really. He’s perfect. I wouldn’t change anything about him for the world. I just wasn’t expecting this is all. I just feel let down.” His sullen expression changed as if a thought just hit him. “Hey, you know what?”

 

“What?”

 

“How about the both of us go out to eat? Just the two of us.”

 

I narrowed my eyes playfully, “So I’m just going to be your little rebound? How rude.”

 

His face flushed red as he stuttered out an answer. “N-No, n-not at all. I just-“

 

“Calm down. I’m only kidding. I mean, I had plans to see Minho tonight, but I guess I can stand him up as well if it means I get to eat at a fancy restaurant tonight.”

 

He gave a boisterous laughter. “You’re just like Kibum. I hope Minho will be ok with this. The poor guy,” he joked. 

 

“He’ll be fine. Plus, you said the restaurant is nice and expensive, right? And that Daddy’s been wanting to go there for the longest, right?” He nodded. “How about we show him what he’s missing out on?”

 

“What do you mean? Like make him jealous?”

 

“Yeah. We can post pictures of the food on instagram and Snapchat and show Daddy that he should think twice before standing you up again.”

 

He smiled brightly, “Ok, lets go!”

 

This was beginning to sound like a fun night. Jonghyun and I rarely have moments alone with each other mostly due to the fact that I resented him for the longest of time. However, after knowing the truth about my family, I’ve realized that I need to be a little more open to establishing a relationship with him. If not for me, at least for Daddy. 

 

After finding nice suits to wear, Jonghyun drove us across town to the restaurant. Upon arrival, I could see why this place was on Daddy’s list of places to visit. It was massive and far fancier than I expected it to be. There was even valet parking! Like is it that hard for people to park their own cars?

 

“Thanks for dining with us, Mr. Kim,” said the valet guy as we got out of the car. 

 

Jonghyun handed him the keys before replying, “Thanks for having us.”

 

He led us both inside to a lady standing behind a host stand with an obviously fake smile. “We’ve been expecting you, Mr. Kim. If you don’t mind me asking, is there a mistake in your reservation? It says here that your husband will be dining along with you. Shall we move you to a table with three seats instead of two?”

 

Jonghyun smiled politely. “That won’t be necessary. Kibum won’t be able to make it, so tonight it’s just me and Taemin.”

 

“Ok,” she nodded as she grabbed two menus. “You and your son can follow me this way,” she said before quickly walking off. 

 

I froze understanding what she’d said. Son. Although technically speaking, I am Jonghyun’s stepson since he married my dad, we’ve never addressed each other as father and son. It was always something I was uncomfortable with, and I’m sure I never made Jonghyun feel like it was ok to call me that. It’s just weird and hard to explain. I honestly don’t know how to feel about it. 

 

Jonghyun must’ve noticed my discomfort. He gave a soft smile and placed a light hand on my shoulder. “Come on. Let’s go eat.” I nodded and we followed the host to our table. 

 

I opened the menu and my eyes nearly popped out of my head at the prices.

 

Jonghyun lifted his eyes from the menu before saying, “Pick whatever you want. Really. Price isn’t an issue.”

 

I looked at him in disbelief. “How much is your job paying you??”

 

“Enough,” he answered smugly before looking over the menu again. “, it’s so hard for me to choose with Kibum not here to choose for me.” 

 

Hearing him curse like that surprised me a little. I’m used to him being the quiet polite guy he usually is, especially when Daddy is around. I was actually quite impressed. 

 

We eventually found out what we wanted to eat, signaling the waitress that we were ready. After ordering, the menus were taken away and we sat in a comfortable silence. 

 

 

I replied to another text from Minho when Jonghyun unexpectedly asked, “So how are things going with you and Jinki? If you don’t mind me asking...”

 

I looked up at him puzzled. I actually did mind him asking. I hadn’t talked to my dad in almost two weeks now ever since he brought over that soup. Even though the last time I saw him we weren’t on bad terms, we’re not on the best of terms either. Honestly, I don’t know if we’ll ever be. 

 

Jonghyun must’ve took my silence as an answer. “Never mind. Sorry for asking-“

 

“No, it’s fine. I mean,” I shrugged, “I’m still not sure how we are. It’s very complicated. Don’t get me wrong. I would love for things to go back to normal, but every time I try to get over the situation, I just get reminded of the fact that my dad lied to me for most of my life.” I sighed. “I don’t know... I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

Jonghyun nodded in understanding. Just as he was about to say something, a thought came to my mind. “I actually have a question for you.”

 

“Go ahead.”

 

“How is it that you don’t hate my father. You’re so cordial with him. I know if Minho’s ex put him through what my father put daddy through, I would not be as laidback as you are about the situation.”

 

He looked down at the table sighing. “You want the honest truth?”

 

“What? You think I can’t handle it?”

 

He quickly shook his head. “No, it’s not that, but I’ll be honest with you. It wasn’t easy at first. Like I told you before, I was a friend of Kibum’s for awhile and I’d even grown close to Jinki after he and Kibum got together. Although I was happy for them, I had to watch from afar as the man I loved fell in love with another guy. But because I thought Jinki was a great guy, I thought everything happened for the best. Then when Kibum told me that Jinki cheated on him and got some woman pregnant, I was livid. I don’t think I’ve ever been that mad and reckless in my life. I almost fought him-“

 

“You should’ve.”

 

He snorted. “Yeah, but Kibum was the only reason I didn’t. You know how he doesn’t like violence and he surely didn’t want me losing control of myself. It took me awhile to get over that, but I did because I knew it would make Kibum happy. But you know what? I don’t think anyone really sees it from my point of view. Even though that happened years ago, it’s still hard knowing that another man has loved and touched someone I’ve been in love with for most of my life. It’s hard knowing I couldn’t be the first one Kibum fell in love with. It’s hard knowing that the only reason we’re together now is only because Jinki was an idiot and ed up. But to answer your question, I’m able to be cordial with him because I’ve had years to get over what happened and to come to terms with it. It comforts me knowing that in the end, no matter how long it took, I got Kibum. So now I do all I can to make sure I keep him.”

 

I’m not a sappy person, but that had to be one of the most romantic things I’ve ever heard. He was right. I hadn’t thought of his point of view in this whole ordeal. Just think about loving someone for so long and watching him fall in love, get married, and start a family with someone else. I don’t think I could be strong enough to not only go through that, but be cordial with that guy who broke the heart of the love of his life. I definitely don’t give Jonghyun enough credit. 

 

I commented, “Well if it makes things any better, I’m glad you got Daddy in the end.” As much as it pains me to say it, it’s become evident to me that my dads weren’t meant to be. Plus you treat him right, so I can’t complain.”

 

Jonghyun nodded with a slight smile and another comfortable moment of silence came. That was until I heard him chuckle as he looked at his phone. “Kibum’s home now. He says he’s jealous knowing that we’re here while he’s at home eating leftovers.”

 

I grinned. “Serves him right.”

 

“I’m totally telling him you said that,” he said as he texted enthusiastically. 

 

 

Our food later came, and I held up my end of the bargain by uploading pictures of the beautiful entrees on Instagram and Snapchat. I even snapped a quick photo with Jonghyun and I smiling to seal the deal. Daddy’s going to be so annoyed and I’m loving it. 

 

I received a notification from Snapchat from Minho with a sad faced emoji, making me smile because I knew he just wanted my attention. I texted him not to be jealous and that we should go on a date soon. He eagerly agreed. 

 

The food was delicious, and surprisingly, Jonghyun was good company. We talked about a range of things, but he was able to make me genuinely laugh throughout our meal, something I really appreciated and definitely did not expect. 

 

“Thank you,” I said out of the blue. 

 

“No problem.” He said as he pat his mouth dry. “We can go out to eat anytime-“

 

“No, not for the meal. Well, actually yes thank you for the meal. But also, thank you for being so nice and taking good care of me.”

 

A slow smile spread across his face. “No problem. I’m just glad that you don’t hate me now.”

 

“I can never hate someone who makes my dad so happy. Maybe thoroughly dislike, but never hate.”

 

He blushed upon hearing that. “Yeah, well Kibum makes me happy too. Even though I was pretty upset about our plans not going through, I still love him the same. He could literally kill my cat and I would still love him.”

 

“Thank goodness we don’t have any cats.”

 

“Yeah.” He paused before saying, “This doesn’t have to be the last time we hang out, y’know? We could have Taemin-Jonghyun days if you want.”

 

“Let’s not get too ahead of ourselves,” I chuckled. “But yeah, that sounds nice. If I’m ever bored enough, I’ll have you entertain me.”

 

“Way to make guy feel special,” he scoffed playfully. 

 

It was a little late when we arrived home, but surprisingly, Daddy was waiting for us in the living room watching a movie in his pajamas. He quickly got up upon seeing us and walked slowly to Jonghyun before embracing him into a hug. “I’m so sorry, Jong. I really did try to make it home in time, but I just got backed up with work and-”

 

Jonghyun smiled and returned the hug. “It’s ok. I’m over it. I forgive you.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yeah. Besides, Taemin was better company anyway,” he joked. 

 

Daddy lightly smacked Jonghyun’s arm before pulling away from the hug. “Whatever you say. Did you two enjoy yourselves?” He asked looking at me as he tucked a stray hair behind my ear. 

 

I nodded. “I guess. Although I must admit, you’ve got this guy pretty whipped. You’re all he could talk about.” 

 

Jonghyun grimaced. “Well I wouldn’t say I’m whipped per say.”

 

Daddy smirked confidently, “Well when you’re as y as me-“

 

Please don’t put your name and y in the same sentence!” I quickly ran upstairs no longer wanting to hear Daddy saying anything about him being y. Ew. 

 

 

——

 

The next day, I had the house to myself thankfully. Usually Daddy and Jonghyun are home for the weekend, but they decided to spend the day together to make up for yesterday. They said they’d be staying the night at a hotel tonight so don’t expect them to come home. I don’t even want to imagine what their overnight  plans are. 

 

I would invite Minho over, but he’s busy with soccer again. Bummer, right. The one time I can finally have Minho to myself to do whatever we want, soccer gets in the way. It’s not like I can invite Jongin over. He’s busy with Exo, and Ravi’s out of town so that’s not an option. I guess I could just sleep all day. That sounds like a pretty good idea. 

 

I curled into my blankets on my bed and closed my eyes, taking in the much needed silence of the house. As soon as I started drifting off, I heard the doorbell ring followed by a few hard knocks on the front door. I groaned out of annoyance of having to get out of my cozy spot. I swear if it’s another delivery from FedEx, I’m going to lecture Daddy on his obvious online shopping addiction. 

 

I got out of bed with my blanket still wrapped around me. As I made it downstairs, I looked out the window seeing Minho’s car. What’s he doing here? Isn’t he supposed to be at practice? 

 

I walked up to the door and opened it seeing the huge smile on Minho’s face. “Hey.”

 

“Hey? I thought you had practice.”

 

“Well I did, but since it’s about to rain and we just got new uniforms, coach cut practice short and told us to go home. So I’m here.”

 

“This isn’t your home though.”

 

“It is when you’re here.”

 

I grinned. “Stop being cheesy. It’s gross.”

 

He chuckled. “Well when you texted me that your parents were going to be gone all day, I got excited and wanted to surprise you.”

 

“You know my dad’s gonna kill us if he finds out you’re here, right?”

 

“That’s why he’s not going to find out. Now are you going to let me in?”

 

I stepped out of the way allowing him to walk pass me. I followed him into the living room sitting next to him on the couch. “Won’t your dad wonder where you are?”

 

He shrugged his shoulders. “No, I don’t think so. He’ll think I’m at practice. I didn’t tell him I left early. You’re acting like you’re not happy to see me,” he sulked. 

 

I grinned and moved closer to him. “Of course I’m happy to see you. I’m just trying to make sense of the situation. I don’t want you to get in trouble with your dad. You always tell me how strict he is.”

 

He placed a comforting hand on my knee. “I’ll be fine. If I do get in trouble, it’ll be worth it. My dad works late at the station tonight anyway, so we’re good. 

 

“Great. That gives us plenty of time then.”

 

He quirked an eyebrow. “Time for what?”

 

I wrapped my arms around his neck. “Well, I’ve been thinking. I think I’m ready to go all the way between us.”

 

He cocked his head. “Are you sure, Taemin?” 

 

I nodded. “Yeah. After telling you everything about my past, I’ve become a lot more comfortable with the thought of us becoming more intimate.”

 

“This is a big step. I just don’t want you to feel like you’re forced to do this-“

 

“I’m not. I actually want this. And I know you do too. Don’t lie.”

 

He placed a hand on my waist. “Of course I do, but it doesn’t matter what I want. If you really feel like you’re ok with us having , then by all means, let’s do it. I just want to make sure you actually want this.”

 

I leaned forward and placed a light peck on his lips before whispering, “I want this. I’m ready. Plus, my parents are gone so there’s no need in rushing.”

 

He nodded. “Ok. Let’s do this.” I moved to push him back on the couch, but he stopped me. “You want to do it here?”

 

I shrugged. “Why not?”

 

He shook his head. “No, Taemin. I want this to be more comfortable for you.”

 

I sighed. “You know I’m not a , right? I’ve been ed all sorts of ways. on the couch is not a big deal.”

 

“That’s the problem, Taemin. All those guys you’ve had with before were just quick s for you. They were meaningless. You mean a lot to me, and I want to show you that. I’m not going to rush things with you like you’re worthless. If we’re going to do this, let’s do it right.”

 

I could see where he was coming from. He was right. I’ve never had meaningful . They’ve always been quickies with guys who only wanted me for my body. That’s the reason why I’ve had such a bad reputation at school. I’ve never had a guy have with me out of love, so this is new territory for me. It’s weird for me, but it means a lot that Minho cares so much.

 

I gave a smile, “Ok, I agree. Will my bedroom be more suitable?”

 

He nodded. “That’s more like it.”

 

We headed up to my bedroom and my heart raced with each step. I was giddy with nerves and excitement as soon as I closed and locked the door. 

 

I slowly walked toward Minho as I began to lift my shirt. He stopped my hands from doing so and kissed me instead. “We’re not going to rush it remember?”

 

I nodded and followed his lead as he led me to the bed. 


 

Cliffhanger, I know. But anyway, here’s another update. I swear I try my best to update as fast as I can, but school and work plus writing is a pain in the . But even if it takes forever for me to finish this story, it’s getting finished one way or another. 

Thank you to the people who have stuck around. I know it’s not easy for all of us to continue reading or writing these stories after what happened, but I appreciate everyone and I hope that you’re all doing well. 

 

I hope you enjoyed. Wish me luck as I attempt to write my business paper....lol. ^.~