Morning Calls

Family Feud


Kibum POV

Last night was surely something. That was the worst I've seen Taemin ever act, and trust me, he's acted up a lot before. However, last night proved to me that maybe the problem isn't just with him. The problem is with all of us. I usually just punish him and ignore the problem, but as you can see, that does nothing but make things worse. 

It really scared me when Taemin broke down like that. I don't know if it's just hormones or a deeper issue, but something needs to change. It has to. 

That morning, I decided to call Jinki. I didn't know where in the world he was, literally, but it was worth a shot to call him. 

"Hello," he answered groggily. 

"Hey, Jinki. Did I wake you up?"

I heard him yawn as he spoke. "Yeah. I'm still in America so there is a big time difference right now."

"Oh, sorry."

"It's ok. What's up?"

"It's Taemin."

He chuckled. "Why am I not surprised?"

"No. It's something serious this time. Taemin totally had a meltdown last night. It was quite unsettling."

"A meltdown how?"

"Well, first we caught him sneaking into the house and I smelled alcohol on him. I believe he snuck out with the boy he got in trouble with earlier. Of course I flipped out. Taemin flipped out as well. He was crying really hard saying no one cares about him."

"That's nonsense. I make it obvious everyday that Taemin is the only person I live for. Why would he say that?"

"I think something you said may have triggered it."

"What?"

"He brought up the fact that you've missed his birthdays. Did you say something to him?"

I heard him sigh. "Oh lord. I didn't know he would take it to heart. Kibum, you know how busy I am. I didn't want to lie to him. It's not like I said I wouldn't make it. I said I would try to make it this year. The business world is unpredictable."

"Though that's true, it doesn't help Taemin. Jinki, it's been almost six months since Taemin has last seen you. Even if you miss every birthday in the world, your presence on other days would make up for that because he misses you."

"And I miss him too. I really do. I only work so much so that I can provide for him. I mean, you're doing a good job at it, but he's also my son as well. I love him so much."

I sighed. "Jinki, we need to have a family meeting. A serious one with Jonghyun as well. Maybe we need to go to family therapy or something."

"Hey, you know I'm still due for like three other business meetings in other countries. It may be awhile."

I grunted. "Dammit, Jinki! Our son is suffering right now and he needs us both! Can't you put your job to the side for once and actually be here for him?!"

I was losing it just as well. I was frustrated because I didn't know what to do to help Taemin. I had an idea of what I should do, but honestly, I was completely clueless.  So I took everything out on Jinki. I was just irritated at the fact that right after I told him about Taemin struggling, he still had the audacity to put work first. 

"Key, calm down. I'll be there, ok? It just depends on when you're planning to do this."

"As soon as you're back in Korea."

"That may be in another two months though because of business."

"Aren't you allowed to miss a few meetings?"

"Yeah, but they're limited. I have to choose wisely what days to take off."

"And choosing Taemin isn't wise?"

"I'm not saying that-"

"Oh, I know what you're saying. I hear it loud and clear. You would rather work than see about your own child. But you know what? That's fine because I have enough love for Taemin to cover the both of us. I'm going to get help for my son with or without you."

"Key-"

"Call Taemin." Then I hung up. 

I was beyond annoyed. I could see why Taemin was so upset about that situation. I understand that Jinki has to work and maintain business relationships, but family is always first. 

Always. 


Taemin POV

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. The loud ringtone and sunlight peeking through my curtain didn't help the slight hangover I was trying to fight. Maybe I shouldn't have drank so much. Maybe then my emotions would have been under control last night. 

I checked the caller ID and saw that it was Dad. Oh great. Another lecture I can't avoid. 

"Hello," I answered still halfway sleep. 

"Hey, Taemin. How's my favorite son doing?"

"Dad, I'm your only son."

"I know. I was trying to make you laugh. You usually laugh at my corny jokes. What's wrong?"

"I'm sure Daddy has already told you."

"Yeah, but I would rather hear it from you."

"I honestly don't even feel like talking right now."

He sighed. "Listen. I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I didn't mean to upset you. I love you, son. I understand why you would be upset about me not being there, but I don't support you being to disrespectful to Kibum last night."

"I know, Dad. I'm sorry." I was just ready for the convo to end. It's not like anything ever changes. 

"I know you're still mad at me."

"Of course. What's the point of talking if nothing is going to change?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean you always call me when something goes wrong, then say you'll see me soon, but then your plans never fall through because of your job."

"I promise to make a change, Taemin. I'm planning on taking off soon so I can spend some time with you."

I gasped. "Really? You really mean it, Dad?"

"Yes, I do. Kibum has made me realize that I've got my priorities all screwed up. The fact of the matter is I never want you to grow up hating me or anything."

I sighed deeply. "Dad, I could never hate you. You should know that."

He chuckled. "I guess you're right. Are you ok, though? Your dad suggested family therapy. Do you think we need that?"

"I honestly don't know. I feel like Daddy's too dramatic anyway. He's putting way too much thought into this. I just want to be with you right now, Dad."

"Awww. You're so sweet. Speaking of sweets, I want you to be more serious about your condition. Doing things like smoking and drinking alcohol isn't wise. I don't want the next time I see you to be in a hospital."

"Maybe if you hurry, you'll get here before it happens."

"I'm being serious, Taemin. You need to take care of yourself before your condition gets worse."

"I know, Dad. I'll start being careful."

"You promise?"

I smiled. "I promise."

"Good. Now please behave. Kibum is really stressed and I don't want him to end up in the hospital as well. I should be in Korea in another month. Can you hang on until then?"

"I guess so."

"That's my boy. Also, I have a question."

"Yes?"

"Who is this boy that you keep getting in trouble with? Do you like him?"

My cheeks instantly heated up. There's no way I'm talking about this with my dad. "Um, he's no one and I don't want to talk about it."

"Ok, but I don't want you dating anyone until you're 18 remember?"

How could I ever forgot that stupid rule Dad and Daddy made up? Daddy's more lenient though since he's with me more often and sees that I like boys. He's not as strict as Dad. He doesn't mind me liking someone, but doesn't want me dating. Since Dad's not here, he expects me to obey that command while he's away. That hasn't stopped me from sneaking around before. 

"Yes, I remember."

"That means I don't want you sneaking around with any of them either, even if they are just your friends."

"I here ya, Dad."

It amazed me how he and Daddy still thought of me as this innocent little boy. I mean, I'm not even a anyway, but of course they don't know that. 

"If I find out you're lying to me, there's going to be some serious problems."

I deadpanned. "Dad...."

He chuckled. "Ok, ok. Just getting it out there. Anyway, I love you, but I need to catch up on some more sleep."

"Ok, Dad. Have a good night. Bye."

"Bye."

We hung up and I just laid on my bed staring at the ceiling. I still couldn't believe what had happened last night. 

Then my phone vibrated. I thought it would be my dad again forgetting my to tell me something, but I was surprised to find it was Jongin. I rolled my eyes as I answered. 

"I was beginning to think you were dead."

Jongin chuckled, "Well, hello to you too. What happened last night? Your dad called me and said he's worried about you."

I scoffed. "Yeah, when there's something wrong, that's when you have time for me, right?"

I heard him sigh. "Taemin, you're my best friend. Of course I would be worried if something is wrong. I know we haven't been able to hang out lately, and I'm sorry. I'm just really busy with the debut-"

"Of course! You too. Everyone's too busy to pay even one second of attention to me. Dad's too busy with work, Daddy's too busy with Jonghyun, you're too busy with Exo. But you know what?! Fine! Everyone can be busy, but Minho is the only one who pays attention to me."

"Minho? The guy you've been getting in trouble with? Taemin, you need to stay away from him."

"You don't know anything about him, so don't you dare say anything about him."

"Tae, you don't know anything about him. How long have you even known him?"

"Long enough to know that he's the only one around here who actually acts like he gives a damn about me."

"Your parents and I being busy doesn't mean we don't care about you. I care about you a whole lot and you know it. You're just being dramatic right now."

I scoffed. "Oh, I'm being dramatic? Right. I wouldn't expect you to know how I feel. You have friends around you 24/7. You have a perfect family and parents who dote on you and spend every second of their day worrying about you. I have no one."

"Hey, it's not my fault you chose to be unapproachable at school. People were too afraid to be your friend because you always mean mugged them. You only talked to me. I didn't make you do that."

"And right when I actually do try to make a new friend, everyone hates him."

"Because he's not a friend! Anyone that gets you into trouble is trouble.  What is so hard about that to understand?!"

I sighed exhausted. I was still trying to fight off this hangover and he's making me extremely irritated. "You know what? Have a nice day, Jongin. I'm tired and don't feel like dealing with this anymore. Text me whenever you have time, which will probably be never."

He sighed. "Hey, I don't want to leave like this. I care about you Taemin. I just want the best for you. I promise, I'll find time to be with you."

"Don't make promises you can't keep. I'm already dealing with that with my father."

"Taemin-"

"Please. I'm just tired. Go to your bandmates."

"Ok. But know that I still love you no matter how much you frustrate me. Bye, Tae."

"Bye."

Two annoying phone calls in a row. What the hell? I swear if it wasn't for Minho, I would just cut off my phone. 

Speaking of Minho, I decided to call him. 

"Hello," he answered. 

"Yeah"

He chuckled a little. "I thought you would've still be asleep by now. You sound like ."

I scoffed. "Why, thanks for the concern. Anyway, I was just calling to say hey. That's all."

He was silent before saying, "Hey, is everything alright. You sound a little down, aside from already sounding ty."

I smirked a bit. "I'll be ok. I'm just so sick of everything. Like, I never get a break."

"Wanna tell me about it?"

Might as well. "Well first off, I got in trouble again last night. Daddy thinks I'm officially crazy. He keeps suggesting therapy, but I really don't feel like putting up with that. Dad is too blind to see I'm not a little kid anymore and he doesn't have a say on who I date. Jonghyun is still a lost cause. My best friend barely talks to me unless something bad happens. I have no other friends." 


"You have me, Tae..... wanna come over my house then? I could probably snag us some more weed."

I rolled my eyes. "I promised my dad that I would stop smoking and drinking."

There was silence before he said, "Well... we don't have to do anything illegal, just talk. I like talking to you."

I tried to stop myself from smiling but it was pointless. "I like talking to you too. Honestly, things would be easier if Daddy just liked you so you could easily come over."

"How about you invite me over?"

I scoffed. "With the way I've been acting lately, I don't think that's an option. Plus, you're the person I got caught smoking with. He thinks you're a bad influence."

"To be honest, I don't have many bad habits. I mean, yeah I smoke from time to time, but I'm not a bad guy."

I sighed. "I know. Trust me, I do. Daddy's just too protective of me."

"Well, I still wouldn't mind coming over. It'll be my chance to get your dad to like me."

I chuckled. "You have no idea what you're in for."

"Anything for you."

I made barfing noises. "Yah, that's too cheesy for me to handle."

I heard him chuckle. "I can't help it. I like you Taemin, and I know you don't do relationships, but I really like hanging out with you. It would be nice to hang out and not have to worry about getting caught doing something, don't you think?"

"I guess so. I'll ask Daddy soon. I just don't feel like talking to him right now, or anyone at the moment."

"But you're talking to me." I could almost hear the grin on his voice. 

"Hey, don't get any ideas."

"Whatever. I know you like me too. You don't have to say it."

My face instantly flushed. No one else is able to make me feel this way except him. "Anyway, I'll talk to you later. I'm still fighting this hangover and I'm sure Daddy will want to have a little talk later," I groaned. "I'll let you know what he says about inviting you over."

"Alright. Talk to you later, Taemin. Bye."

"Bye."

After hanging up, I placed a hand on my rapidly beating heart. I still can't believe Minho makes me feel this way. Of course there is no way I'm letting him know just how much I like him. I can already hear his smart mouth if he finds out. His idea isn't so bad. If I can get Daddy to like him, then we could start seeing each other more often. It's not like my own best friend sees me frequently. Maybe it's time for a change. I don't want to keep worrying my parents with my behavior, but I definitely want Minho around. If I'm able to compromise my behavior, then they should be able to compromise their feelings about Minho. I'll just have to see what Daddy thinks.