Before the Storm

Family Feud

A/n: Hey, guys! This chapter was inspired by a request I fulfilled on my Tumblr page about this story. I thought it would be interesting for you guys to see onkey before things went downhill. You can just think of this as a commercial lol!

Hope you enjoy this little snippet! 


 

Kibum and Jinki had been married for about four years before they decided to adopt Taemin. With Jinki's leadership role at an important media company taking off, he wasn't home as often as he or Kibum would have liked him to be. Kibum never blamed him though because he knew Jinki worked hard to be able to support them financially. However, that didn't stop the empty feeling Kibum had building up inside. He felt that the two of them could benefit from having another addition into their little family. 

 

That being said, Jinki was quite surprised when he came home one day after work to Kibum practically begging him for a child. 

 

"Jinki, I think we should have a kid."

 

Jinki paused for a second before continuing to take off his jacket. He chuckled as he said, "You're funny. You know I can't get you pregnant."

 

Kibum groaned and rolled his eyes at how dense his husband was. "I meant we should adopt a kid."

 

This time Jinki took the situation more seriously. He scrunched his brows in deep thought. "Are you sure about this?"

 

"Positive. Just imagine another pair of feet running around here. It would be amazing. That way, we could truly be a family."

 

Jinki walked up to Kibum and placed gentle hands on his waist. "But are you sure we would have time? I mean I'm always working and you have a job yourself-"

 

"I'll quit-"

 

"WHAT-"

 

"Seriously! I'll sacrifice anything to start a family with you, Jinki. Wouldn't you do the same?"

 

He paused for a moment, Kibum's words starting to sink in. He smiled before responding, "Of course. I love you too much to even say no to your idea of adopting a child, but I'm just worried about you. I don't want you to lose yourself. Taking care of a child is a big commitment. It's nice to know that you would quit your job to have more time with our child, but I just don't want you to regret it."

 

Kibum sighed and placed his head into Jinki's chest. "I won't. I know this may seem a bit rash, but I've been thinking about this for awhile. I've come to terms with the things I'm willing to sacrifice for this child. Plus, my boss will surely understand. I'll probably just work from home for awhile until I feel that our child is old enough for a nanny. Only then would I go back to my old job."

 

Jinki grinned. "You really have given this a lot of thought, huh?" 

 

Kibum nodded. "So what do you think?"

 

"Let's do it."

 

 

The adoption process took way longer than any of them would have liked, especially since Kibum wanted to adopt a newborn. 

 

It all started with them trying to find a credible adoption agency. They searched all over Seoul before finally finding a privately-own agency that they could trust. Things only got more complicated when it came to signing up with the agency. They had to fill out detailed questionnaires, have a home study done where people examined their home lives, and have profiles created so the birth mothers could learn more about what makes their family unique. 

 

Even after going through the tedious work of beginning their adoption process, the worst part was yet to come - the waiting game. 

 

At their particular adoption agency, birth mothers have the opportunity to choose prospective adoptive parents before settling on the parents they want for their child. This became a problem for Kibum and Jinki because many mothers didn't appeal to the idea of their child being raised by two men. They both understood, but Kibum took it the hardest. 

 

It was almost a year into their search when Kibum finally broke down. Jinki found him crying in the living room on the couch. He sighed before plopping down next to Kibum and wrapping a protective arm around him. 

 

"Baby, what's wrong?"

 

Kibum sniffed and talked through broken sobs. "I just don't understand. Why do we keep getting our hopes up just to get turn down?!"

 

Jinki spoke slowly and calmly. "It'll be okay. Someone will pick us who won't mind the fact that we're two married men. It'll happen. You just have to have faith."

 

"Faith in what," Kibum wailed. "I've been positive this whole time and look where that's gotten me. Nowhere! I'm getting to the point where I don't even know if I want to go through with his anymore."

 

"You don't mean that-"

 

"Yes I do! First of all, this is too expensive. It's just a slap in the face to pay to keep getting told no. Second of all, I'm done with being heartbroken. Maybe we're not meant to have a child, Jink. Maybe it's just meant to be the two of us."

 

Jinki could do nothing, but comfort Kibum. He knew Kibum was going to reach his breaking point at some point. He just wasn't sure when. However, he didn't want Kibum to give up, not when they had come so far. 

 

To be honest, when Kibum brought up the idea of having a child, Jinki was just going along with it because he was curious. But, after going through this long and tedious process with his husband, he came to realize that he not only wanted a child, but the both of them needed this child, and that's what he would continue to remind Kibum. 

 

 

It was a little after a year when Kibum and Jinki finally got the call they were hoping for. The adoption agency contacted them about a pregnant single mother who was due the next week. She stumbled upon their profile and didn't hesitate on choosing them as her child's caretakers.

 

Kibum and Jinki were ecstatic. This was the furthest they'd gone in their never-ending quest of adoption. They met the pregnant teen the next day so she could interview them to make sure she hadn't changed her mind. With their short meeting, Kibum and Jinki had won her over. 

 

She was a girl in desperate need of a couple who was loving and financially stable to take care of her baby boy. She'd just graduated high school and her parents told her themselves that they were not going to help out with the child. Her ex-boyfriend and his family didn't want anything to do with her upon finding out she was pregnant. So Kibum and Jinki were her last hope. 

 

"I only have one request," she said as they were ending their meeting. "Please don't let him know who I am."

 

Kibum and Jinki were both shocked. Usually at this agency, the birth parents keep contact with the adoptive parents. It was rare that a mother or father wouldn't want to keep contact at all. 

 

Jinki responded, "May I ask why?"

 

The young mother shrugged. "I don't have anything to offer him. You two are all any child could ever need. I would only bring him disappointment."

 

"But-"

 

"Please. That's all I ask."

 

Kibum and Jinki could do nothing, but accept her request. She was giving them her child after all. It was the least they could do. 

 

After signing the proper paperwork and promising to be there for the delivery of the baby, they were good to go. 

 

Before leaving, Kibum perked up and asked, "Did you already name him?"

 

The young mother smile. "Taemin. His name is Taemin."

 

 

July 18, 1993. 

 

The day Lee Taemin was born. That was the day that changed Kibum and Jinki's life forever. After holding the wailing baby in their arms that night, they knew adopting him was a decision they wouldn't regret. 

 

After a week at the hospital, Taemin was officially theirs and went home to his new family. 

 


As I said before, this was just something I thought of after answering an ask on tumblr. I know not everyone has a tumblr, plus I thought it would be nice to see how onkey interacted before, so I added it to the story. 

 

If you guys have any requests for this story or have any questions, don't hesitate to ask on tumblr. If it inspires me to write a lengthy post like this one, it may end up in the story! 

 

Anyway, please comment, folks :)