The Truth (Pt. 1)

Family Feud

This chapter will be a bit longer than those prior  Enjoy!


I had been locked in my room for about two hours just crying and yelling out of frustration. I hadn't allowed anyone in, no matter how much they begged for me to open the door. They'd stopped banging on my door within the first hour, but I knew they were still out. I just couldn't handle seeing anyone at the moment. 

The incident that happened earlier had taken a really heavy toll on me. I still can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that all of that had happened. I mean, really. Who's life is like this besides mine? No one I can think of.

I wanted to blame it all on my dad, but I knew it was probably a lot of stuff that I didn't know about the story. I'm sure of it. I just didn't feel like dealing with it. If I could press the skip button on my life right now, that would be amazing. Skipping to a time where everything was ok and normal, if there ever were a time. 

That's one of the reasons why I chose to stay locked in my room. Opening that door meant opening my world again to a land full of hurt and confusion. Why did this have to happen on my birthday? Out of all days that my dad could've dropped a bomb like this, it just had to be this day. 

I laid on my bed staring at the ceiling. As I began to calm down, there was only one person I thought of having by my side, only one person I was willing to open up to at the moment. 

Minho. 

I could only hope that he was gracious enough to have stayed behind instead of leaving the party. If he did leave, I would totally understand. Who would want to stay around and watch a train wreck? But if he did stay, I would be so appreciative. 

I got off of my bed and slowly walked toward my door. Before opening it, I pressed my ear up against the door, hearing faint mumbles of voices. I couldn't really make out what they were saying. I took a deep breath before slowly unlocking and opening the door, not all the way, but just enough so that there was a tiny crack in the door, getting the attention of those in the hallway. 

I was met with eager heads turning my way, those heads belonging to my parents, Jonghyun, and Minho, who was the only one I was excited to see, though I did question where Jongin had gone. 

Before I could speak, Daddy quickly walked toward the door, stopping just in front of it. His eyes looked red and swollen, most likely from all of the crying he's done today. 

"Taemin, baby, are you ok? Please let me come in. I want to talk to you."

"No."

"Taemin-"

"I don't have anything to say to you."

"But-"

"Daddy, please. Just please stop." I pleaded. 

He looked as if he were going to put up a fight, but decided against it once Jonghyun lightly put a hand on his waist.  He sighed, taking a step back before saying, "Well, will you at least let someone come in? Anyone. I just want you to be ok."

I leaned my head against the doorframe. "I want Minho. Only him."

Minho's brows raised in surprise at the same time Dad's furrowed, as if I cared to tell him about my new boyfriend. I didn't have time to worry about anyone else's feelings at the moment. All I knew was that I needed Minho by my side. 

Daddy looked down sadly, and it kind made me feel bad. I opened the door a little more so I could reach out and pull him in for a hug. He eagerly held me as well, happy that I was initiating contact with him. 

I reassured, "I'm just very hurt and confused, Daddy, and I just want to be with Minho right now. I love you, but I really need my space."

I felt him nod against my shoulder before pulling away to place a hand on my cheek. He stepped away as Minho walked forward. Before he could reach me, Daddy addressed him. 

"Take care of my son, please."

Minho nodded affirmatively and walked to my door. I pulled him in by the arm and closed my door before locking it again. I turned around to see Minho standing there looking unsure of what to do. 

After a moment of silence, Minho opened his arms and softly said, "Come here."

That was all I needed to hear to place myself into his warm comforting arms. He felt nice. He smelled nice. His whole presence was comforting. Even without words, he was able to calm me better than my own parents could. If only this moment could last forever. 

I let out a tired sigh. "If I had anymore tears to cry, I would be sobbing right now."

Minho tightened his grip around me. "Are you ok?"

I shrugged and pulled away to look up at him. "I don't know. I'm just embarrassed more than anything."

"Why are you embarrassed?"

"Because you had to see that side of me, that side of my ed up family that I didn't even know existed."

"Taemin, don't feel embarrassed. If I were in your shoes, I would've probably flipped out as well, maybe even worse. A secret like that would've killed anyone. Trust me. No one's blaming you for the way you reacted. I'm here for you, Taemin. Always."

The fluttering of my heart returned. Even in the sickest of situations could Minho make me feel this way. It's weird really. 

I sighed as a thought crossed my mind. I asked, "Where's Jongin? Is he still here?"

With how this evening had gone, I should've been used to disappointment, but when Minho shook his head meaning that Jongin had left, I couldn't help the way my heart dropped out of disappointment. 

"He said he had to do some Exo stuff because his manager had called."

I scoffed menacingly. "Why am I not surprised? My dad walked out on me, Jongin's walked out on me. Who's next? You?"

It just amazed me how Minho, a guy I've only known for almost two months, took the time to stay after my party to make sure I was ok. However, my best friend of many years decides to ditch me for Exo, again. I understand that it's work, but he couldn't have told his manager that he was in an emergency situation or something?Typical. All I wanted to do was talk to Jongin about this because he knows about my situation with my parents more than Minho does, but I guess Exo's more important. 

"Taemin?" Minho dragged me out of my thoughts. He caressed my cheek as he answered. "I would never leave you. Ever. We may have just started dating, but I know for a fact that I would never want to let you go. Don't ever tell yourself I would, ok?"

I shook my head in defiance as tears collected in my eyes as I thought about the question I was about to ask. "How am I supposed to know you're telling the truth? How am I supposed to believe you?"

Minho looked utterly thrown off so he couldn't even formulate a response. I continued as my voice shook, "Everyone so far in my life has let me down. My whole family has lied to me. My best friend hasn't been there for me. I'm just afraid, Minho. I'm afraid you're going to let me down just like everyone else has. So please, please don't make promises you can't keep."

Minho nodded before pulling me into a tighter hug. "I understand. You're in a very vulnerable position right now. I just would really hate for you to have trust issues and start pushing people away, especially me. I really like you, Tae. Don't let this situation deter you from seeing my true feelings for you."

I couldn't even respond as a sob escaped. I didn't want Minho to see me like this. He was always used to seeing the Lee Taemin that was a hard- and took no from anyone. Now as I cried my eyes out for the umpteenth time that evening, it really put into perspective how I may not be as strong or tough as I think I am. 

"I hate my ing life," I sobbed. I repeated the same thing over and over expecting Minho to say something, but he just listened. 

After a few moments of standing there and consulting me, Minho encouragingly said, "Come on. Let's sit down." He walked me over to my bed and sat the both of us down. 

I put my head in his chest as I said through broken sobs, "I just don't want to live anymore."

Minho whispered, "Stop saying that-"

"It's true. Why should I stay here? No one wants me. My biological parents didn't want me, that's why I was put up for adoption. My dad didn't want me, that's why he got a divorce and started a new family. Jongin doesn't want me, that's why he ditches me for Exo every chance he gets. What's the point of living," I ended defeatedly. 

Minho rubbed my shoulders. "Taemin, everyone you just named is the reason why you should stay. From what I've seen, they all love you."

I scoffed. "Love. My dad said he loved me. He said he'd never lie to me. He said I was his only reason to keep on living, his only reason to be happy, the only reason he admired being a father. Then, he shows up with that woman and that little girl. Minho, I didn't even know my dad liked women! The nerve of him!" I began to become riled up again. I could basically feel my blood boiling. I asked out of curiosity, "Are they still here? The woman and child?"

Minho looked almost afraid to answer. Maybe he was skeptical of my reaction. 

He shook his head. "No, I haven't seen them."

"What, they didn't want to stick around for the show?"

I felt him shrug. "I just haven't seen them around. Maybe they went back home."

Home. Their home with my dad. Just perfect. 

After a few more moments of silence, Minho said, "Tell me how you're feeling now as of this moment, besides anger. I'm all ears."

It took awhile for me to formulate a sentence. There was just so much to process at the moment. Minho didn't seem to mind though. He just looked down and gave me a smile that told me to take my time. I gave myself time to calm down before speaking. 

"I...I just wasn't expecting much for my birthday, y'know? The most excitement that ever happens is the bickering between me and Jonghyun. Compared to this birthday, my other birthdays were ideal. I just didn't know things would've ended up like this. I mean, my dad? A man I've idolized since childhood? How could he have done this to my family, Minho?"

Minho responded with a comforting rub to my shoulders. 

I continued, "And the fact that I've been so angry at Daddy and Jonghyun this whole time is what's really eating me up right now. You have no idea how often I used to purposely shut jonghyun out of my life because I thought he ruined my family. Jonghyun's literally the nicest man I know and I gave him so much crap."

"And Jonghyun never got mad at you?"

"Never. He just gave me the benefit of the doubt. Now that I look back on it and know the full story, I feel like such a head."

I leaned more into Minho as I continued, "I just don't know what to do," I said honestly not knowing where to go from here. "What do you think?" I asked as I looked up into his eyes. 

He looked off to the side and sighed before looking down to me. "Well, just do whatever you think is right-"

"No, I don't want to hear that. Truthfully, if you were in my shoes, what would you do?"

He took some time contemplating on how to answer the question. I was really curious about his response. I mean, did I react properly to the situation? It sure felt like I had in the moment, but now, I'm not so sure. 

Minho's deep voice pulled me from my thoughts. "I would be pissed. And rightfully so."

"Really-"

"However," he said, taking me for surprise, "I think you should talk to your dad."

I sat up straight as I answered, "I never want to see his stupid face again."

"That's completely understandable, but you will continue to have unanswered questions. I don't want you torturing yourself like this. Don't you think it's time the both of you had a talk?"

I shrugged. "I don't know. I really don't want to be around him."

"You could talk with him and your other dad together so you wouldn't have to be alone with him."

That was a good point. 

I nodded and reached for Minho's hand, locking our fingers together. "Could you be there too?"

Minho gave a subtle smile before declining. "I've already stepped too far into your family's business. This should be something just between you guys. I'm more than willing to hear about it afterwards, but right now, I need you to be the strong Taemin I've known you to be."

I rested my forehead against his shoulder as I whined, "I don't want you to leave."

I felt him use his other hand to pat my head tenderly. "I know, but this is something you have to face with your family. Plus, my parents are waiting outside to pick me up."

He stood up and dragged me with him before leaning down to plant a kiss onto my lips. It wasn't steamy or anything, but it was definitely what I needed. 

When we separated, he said, "Call me later, ok?"

I nodded before standing on my toes to give another quick peck. I walked him to my door and opened it, gaining the attention of everyone in the hallway again. Minho waved goodbye to everyone before showing himself out. 

Once I heard the front door open and close, I said, "I'm ready to talk."

Daddy and Jonghyun exchanged a glance while Dad stood there staring at me like he didn't know where to start. 

"Son," he said. "Let's talk in private-"

"I don't want to be anywhere alone with you. I want Daddy and Jonghyun there too." Daddy and Jonghyun looked quite shocked to say the least. 

"Taemin, are you serious?"

"Yes, Dad. I'm very serious. I don't want you to have any opportunity to lie to me again. Plus, I want to hear all sides of the story. I don't want any missing details."

We all walked to the living room which still had my birthday presents scattered about and a birthday cake with candles yet to be lit. Everything in there reminded me of how such a nice day was completely ruined by my father. 

I sat on the main couch with Daddy and Jonghyun sitting next to me, per my request. Dad sat in the armchair across from me. 

"Where do you want to start, sweetie," said Daddy as he placed a light hand onto my knee. 

Though he asked the question, I directed my response to my dad. "Why did you cheat on daddy?"

He seemed to visibly tense up. "I don't think that's a good place to start this conversation."

"Why not?"

He sighed. "Things are just so complicated. I guess I'll start from the divorce. Is that ok?"

I didn't respond. I just stared at him with my arms crossed.

He decided to start. "I just want to make one thing clear to you. When me and Kibum were married and decided to adopt you , you were the most precious thing to us. You still are. We were so incredibly in love with each other. I just never want you to doubt that our marriage wasn't authentic."

I looked at Daddy. "Is this true?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah. Life was nice back then. We were definitely in love. We'd met in high school and dated in college. Years later, he proposed to me and I said yes. I thought life couldn't get any better. Then you came into the picture and everything seemed to be perfect. You were the cutest little baby, Taemin." That almost made me smile. "But of course, all of that came to a bitter end."

"Where did things go wrong?"

Dad answered. "During the last year of our marriage. It's all my fault," he said solemnly as he placed his head in his hands. 

Daddy's reply caught me way off guard. "Don't blame yourself, Jinki."

I scrunched my brows before saying, "What do you mean don't blame yourself? Daddy, he cheated on you. Shouldn't you still be devastated about it?"

He sighed, "Its complicated."

"Then uncomplicate it, please. Anyone." Usually that smart comment would've got me smacked. 

Dad spoke again. "During the last year of our marriage, I began questioning my uality. I know it may be hard to grasp, but that's what happened. It's weird. I know. Usually when people question themselves, they go from straight to gay. But for me, it was from gay to straight. No in between. When I was in high school, I was so sure that I'd only liked men. That's why when me and Kibum began liking each other, I was okay with admitting my feelings for him at the end of senior year. I identified as gay for most of my life. But during some point in life, I began to find women attractive, very attractive. It was around the time me and Kibum were in our last year of marriage. I thought it wasn't serious since I was already married. But then, I began thinking of Kibum less and began thinking of women more, one woman to be exact."

"That woman that came today," I concluded. 

He nodded. "Lee Sunhae. She was my secretary at the time."

Wow, an office . Great catch, dad. 

He continued, "I never intended for things to go anywhere-"

"But they did."

He looked hesitant to continue. "Yeah, they did. I still hate myself to this day for how I hurt Kibum. No one ever deserves to find out the way he did."

That didn't sound good. I looked at Daddy. He was gripping Jonghyun's hand as he stared at the ground. "How did you find out?"

He gave me a solemn look and a sad smile. "I walked in on them, in our bedroom." A single tear escape before he quickly wiped it away. "Gosh, I don't want to talk about this."

Dad continued, seeing as Daddy was having trouble formulating a sentence. "He was devastated. So was I. I never thought that I was ever capable of causing anyone so much pain. That look on his face will never leave my memory-"

"Good." I cut him off, sick of hearing how he ed Daddy over. "You deserve to suffer like this because I'm sure Daddy suffered ten times worse. I honestly can't believe that you had the freaking nerve to cheat on Daddy. I mean look at him. He's a ten! He's gorgeous! He's so nice and loving and you ignored all of that just because you were questioning yourself? Get a grip, Dad. You should've been a man and told Daddy how you were feeling in the first place!" I grunted frustratedly as my thoughts were released. 

Surprisingly, he didn't argue with me like I thought he would. He'd just nodded in agreeance. "You're right. Everything you said, you're right. I was a coward. I was too afraid to approach Kibum on the issue, so I just stayed quiet, hoping my feelings for my secretary would die down, but they never did. Surprisingly, that's not what ended our marriage. Kibum had decided to stay with me."

I looked at Daddy with pure confusion. "What?"

He shrugged. "I loved him. I've never believed in a divorce. I'd rather struggle to keep a relationship alive than to get a divorce."

"Then...what caused you two to actually get a divorce?"

"He got her pregnant."

"So before you found that out, you two were trying to work out the marriage?"

Dad answered. "Definitely. I felt like such a ty person after everything happened, but I didn't want to lose Kibum. I know it's extremely selfish of me, but when he decided not to get a divorce, I was ecstatic. I'd stopped talking to Sunhae, I took more time off of work to be with my family, and me and Kibum were beginning to move on. Then two months later, Sunhae told me she was pregnant. There was no one else she'd had with besides me, even after we'd broken up-"

"And you believed her? She could've been lying, Dad."

"Trust me. I thought the same, but until the baby was born, I couldn't deny the possibility that the child could've been mine. Ultimately, once the baby was born, I took a paternity test and found out I was indeed the father. That's what ruined our marriage."

Daddy intervened. "I just couldn't stand the idea of Jinki having a family with someone else. That was where I drew the line."

"So why are you so calm about this? I would've expected you to have freaked out."

He sighed. "I was hurt. I was heartbroken, but some part of me was still loyal to Jinki. You see, one of the reasons why I didn't want to bring up this conversation without your father is because something very sensitive happened to him. That sensitive thing is what caused me to help him and continue to watch over him."

"What happened?"

He looked at my dad before looking back at me. "Jinki was suicidal."

I gasped and looked at my dad. "What? Why?" Though I was mad at him, just imagining a life  without my dad tore me apart. 

He took in a breath and let it out slowly. "I just wasn't happy. I'd lost you and Kibum, and I was having another kid that I wasn't even sure I could take care of. I was doubting myself as a father and as a person. I know these are probably crappy excuses, but I couldn't handle anything at the moment. However, Kibum helped me pull through. That's why we still have such a close relationship. He put aside the fact that I'd ruined our family and he let me cry on his shoulder when I felt like no one was there for me. He told me I should approach the situation as a second chance to be a great husband and to not ruin what I have with Sunhae. That's why I will always love Kibum. Though it may not be the same love as before, I'll always be there for him."

The story was kind of making sense now, but I was still curious about something. I looked at Jonghyun, who'd been quiet the whole time, and asked, "So where do you come into this equation?"

He blinked a few times, surprised that he was being addressed. "Oh, I was a family friend of Kibum's for awhile. I knew him even before he and Jinki had met together."

"So why didn't you end up with Daddy first?"

He smiled slightly. "Jinki had gotten to him first. I was a coward that was too afraid to voice his feelings. So I was always around just for moral support. I was there when Kibum and Jinki met. I was there when they got married. I was there when they adopted you. I was there when Kibum told me about Jinki cheating and getting Sunhae pregnant. I've been around all along, you could say."

"So why did it take you so long to date Daddy after the divorce? I'm sure you saw the amount of losers he hopped between."

I could tell he wanted to laugh, but he held it in due to the seriousness of the situation. "Well, I was there to help Kibum cope with the divorce. I didn't want him to think I was taking advantage of his vulnerable state or that I had bad intentions."

Dad commented, "That's why I'm so appreciative of Jonghyun. After the divorce, I'd hoped that Kibum would find someone to love, someone better than me, someone who would love him and only him. If Kibum had never found love and struggled emotionally, that would've killed me. That's why I have so much respect toward Jonghyun. I really do."

"So that's why you've never said anything negative about him."

He nodded. "He's a good guy. A better man than I could ever be."

Everything was starting to connect now. I'd always wondered why my parents and Jonghyun always acted as if the divorce never happened. They acted like old friends. It was weird, but now I see why they act like this toward each other. 

Don't get me wrong. This does not mean my dad is off the hook for ending my happy family. 

I cleared my throat and addressed my dad. "So let's talk about your new family."

 


Sup, everyone! My power is finally back on, yay! Hurricane Matthew was no joke. 

Anyway, sorry it took awhile for an update. As I stated in my other story, I need more ideas that'll help me write faster. If you want to suggest anything, send an anonymous message on my Tumblr! I swear I'll read it and take it into consideration. 

Please comment ^.~