Summertime Sadness

Family Feud


 
Aaah. Summer. What a marvelous time of year. No boring school and more time to drool...ok, that sounds lame. 
 
Anyway, back to summer. Ah, yes. The warmth of the sun, the freshness of the air, the cool breeze. It's all so exhilarating, so relaxing, so peaceful, so-
 
"Yah! Lee Taemin, get your down here," screamed my dad from downstairs. 
 
Did I say peaceful? I meant chaotic. 
 
I groaned to myself as I tried to block the sun's harsh rays. What now? Can I ever get two seconds of peace in this house? I slowly got up and trudged my way downstairs. 
 
For those wondering, my dad is Kim Kibum. I'm not his real son, but he adopted when I was about two years old, so he feels like a real dad to me. He's not my only dad, though. That's right. I have two dads, well more like three. My other dad is Lee Jinki, while my stepdad is Kim Jonghyun. I'm finding it hard to favor my stepdad because I'm still not used to him. 
 
I'm still upset about the divorce because to me, we were the perfect family. He meant everything to me, and still does. He taught me so many things about life, love, and compassion. The funny thing is when it comes to Kim Jonghyun, I have very little compassion. 
 
It's not like I hate the guy, he's just not like my dad. He can never be. That's one of the reasons why I refuse to get my last name changed to Kim. Not even Lee-Kim would satisfy me because I feel like I would be betraying my dad. It just wouldn't be right. 
 
Maybe if I understood the reason for their divorce, things would be easier. I've yet to get an explanation on exactly why they ended things. I mean, I'm 15. I'm pretty sure I can handle whatever the situation is. 
 
I made my way into the kitchen and saw Kibum, or Daddy as I call him, cooking breakfast cheerfully, which confused me because I could've sworn he was in a bad mood. 
 
I mumbled, "Daddy, it's eight in the morning. Why are you so happy?"
 
He turned around with a smile on his face. "Oh, finally you're here! I've called for you three times. Anyway, did you forget that today is Jonghyun's promotion party at the office?" Right. Him. "We have to be there early to set up."
 
I whined, "Daddy, why did you even volunteer the both of us to set up for the party? Couldn't you have done it yourself?"
 
"Well I thought it would be good bonding time with me and you. That, and I can have my eye out on the new office intern Jonghyun has."
 
Of course, it's because of him. It's always him. 
 
"Well, can I just go to Kai's house instead?"
 
"No, Taemin, you promised Jonghyun that you'd be there." He turned back around to cut off the stove.
 
"No, you promised him I would be there. How did you know that I didn't already have plans today?"
 
"Taemin, just please go upstairs and get ready. Breakfast should be ready in a couple of minutes." 
 
Great. Just ignore the situation like you always do. 
 
I decided not to put up a fight and went upstairs to my bedroom. I locked my door and ran to my phone. Usually when I get upset, there's always one person that can comfort me. 
 
"Hello," he answered. 
 
"Hey, Dad." 
 
Yes, my dad, Lee Jinki. He's like a best friend of mine. When I'm in a time of need, he's the only person who I feel like can fully understand me, aside from Kai, otherwise known as Jongin. 
 
"Hey, Taeminnie. You're not usually the early bird," he chuckled. "What's going on?"
 
I sighed heavily. "Well, I wouldn't be up if Daddy didn't force me to. We have to get ready to set up for Jonghyun's promotion party at his office. Dad, I really don't want to go."
 
"Jonghyun's getting promoted? That's great news. Make sure to send my congrats."
 
Ugh, I hate that he's so nice. "You're not getting it. I don't want to go."
 
"Now you and I both know Kibum would flip out if you decided not to go. Besides, it's about time you start getting warmed up to Jonghyun. He's not a horrible guy, Tae."
 
"How can you be so supportive of a man who's trying to take your place?"
 
He sighed, "Taemin, just give him a chance."
 
I rolled my eyes. "Whatever, Dad. Anyway, I gotta go and get ready."
 
"Ok, squirt. Hope you have fun."
 
"Yeah, I wouldn't count on it. I love you."
 
"I love you too." Then we hung up. 
 
Ugh I miss him so much. Why does he have to work overseas? Maybe he could get me out if this hell hole of a life I have now. Right when he gets back from business overseas, I swear I'm asking Daddy if I can live with Dad. 
 
()
 
"Let's have a toast," said Jonghyun raising his glass as others followed. 
 
I wallowed in self pity in a corner away from the party. I can't believe Daddy actually made me wake up early to set up this party. Honestly, I'm just ready to go home. I'm tired, sore, and too bitter to enjoy this celebration. I was in no mood to be around their happiness as I suffered in pain. 
 
"This is to new opportunities and a great year. I'd like to thank you all for putting this together. I give you my word that I will work harder. Cheers!" Everyone clang their wine glasses to those around them and continued to socialize. 
 
Daddy and Jonghyun were being openly flirtatious and of course it annoyed the hell out of me. I mean I get it. You're married and woopdy do. But that doesn't mean you have to show it off like that. 
 
The way Jonghyun has his hand on Daddy's hip really irks me because he acts like he has the right to. That spot is reserved for Dad only. I remember when they used to flirt in front of me. Now since its with Jonghyun, it's just dumb. If Daddy and Dad are not together, then I don't want anyone with them. That's just how things need to be. 
 
"Taemin," Daddy's voice snapped me out of my thoughts as he approached me with a smile on his face. "What are you doing all alone? Go get something to eat."
 
"I'm not hungry." That's a lie. I was starving. 
 
"Tae, you haven't eaten since breakfast. I'm sure you're hungry."
 
"I'm fine."
 
He sighed. "Listen, I know you didn't want to come here, but you could at least participate. This day means a lot to Jonghyun. Could you at least eat something?"
 
The look he gave me showed that he was desperate and it would really mean a lot to him if I at least pretended. He better be glad that I love him. "Ok, Daddy."
 
He grinned before hugging me and kissing my cheek. I walked over to the snack table and fixed a plate. As I grabbed a brownie, the guy I didn't want to see greeted me. 
 
"Hey, Taemin. Are you enjoying your time?" It was Jonghyun. 
 
I placed the brownie on my plate. "Something like that."
 
He eyed my plate. "Um, does your dad know you're eating that? I'm not sure he'd agree with you having a brownie due to your diabetes."
 
Great. Thanks for reminding me like I didn't already know. "One brownie won't kill me." 
 
He picked up on my mood. "Taemin, I'm just trying to look out for you-"
 
"I'm fine. Thanks." Then I walked off to a secluded table on the other side of the room. I really didn't want to be rude, but he just didn't know when to back off. 
 
I decided to call Kai since I had nothing better to do. 
 
"Wassup man," he answered. 
 
"This party is a bore, dude."
 
"Well, no . It's an office party, meaning adults only. Why are you there anyway?"
 
"It wasn't my choice. Daddy dragged me out here for Jonghyun."
 
"Oh, I see. Sorry for your loss," he joked. 
 
"Dude, this isn't funny. I'd much rather be doing something with you."
 
"Well, how about you come to the studio tomorrow. Y'know, Exo's debuting soon. We need to spend as much time together as we can before my schedule blows up."
 
I sighed. "You're right. You're so lucky that you get to do something so cool like being an idol. What are you going to do about school?"
 
"Don't worry. I'll still be going to school. So we'll still get to see each other there."
 
"Ok, that's good. So what are we doing at the dance studio tomorrow?"
 
"Dance of course," he chuckled. "Then me and you can hang out with the guys."
 
"That makes me kind of nervous. What if they don't like me?"
 
He burst out laughing. "Really, Tae? I should be more worried about you not liking them!"
 
"Yah, I'm not a mean person."
 
"Sure, that's not what Jonghyun would said."
 
"Hey, that's a different story. Anyway, just text me when to be ready tomorrow. I'll call you later."
 
"Alright. Have fun in hell."
 
I smirked, "I'll try." Then we hung up the phone. I snacked on my brownie and texted a few friends until some random dude sat next to me. 
 
"Hey," he said with a smile on his face. 
 
"Uh, hey? Do I know you?" 
 
"Oh, sorry I forgot about greetings. My name is Minho. What about you?"
 
"Taemin?" I was getting creeped out. Don't get me wrong, he was cute. But what made him want to talk to me out of nowhere?
 
"I know this may seem weird and all of a sudden. I came over here because I was bored. My dad brought me here and there's no one I can talk to because everyone's grown.  I saw you and you look my age, so I decided to make conversation."
 
Interesting. "Oh really? How old are you?"
 
"I'm 17. And you?"
 
"I'm 15, but I'm turning 16 in a couple of months."
 
"Oh, so that makes me your hyung."
 
"Um, I just met you, so I think -ssi would be a better honorific."
 
He chuckled. "Right right. So who did you come here with?"
 
"My dad. He put the party together and I got dragged along with it."
 
"Dang, that . So you've been here since before the party started?"
 
"Yep. Quite the bummer. I'm ready to go home."
 
Then he had a suspicious grin on his face. "Wanna do something fun?"
 
I scrunched my eyebrows. "Like what?"
 
"Let's ditch this place. Just for fun."
 
"Dude, I only get in trouble with my friends, not strangers."
 
"Y'know, the best way to bond is to get in deep together."
 
As crazy as it sounded, I was really tempted. This party could go on for another four hours, and I really couldn't take it anymore. "And what happens if we get caught?"
 
"I'll take all the blame. I swear."
 
I narrowed my eyes at him for awhile before finally saying, "I'm in."
 
()
 
Key Pov 
 
It's 7:45 when I finally realize that Taemin's not around. At first I thought maybe he was in the restroom or out back with his new friend I saw him talking to earlier. That was until minutes turned into hours and Taemin was still nowhere to be found. 
 
I hastily walked up to Jonghyun. "Jong, have you seen Taemin?"
 
"Oh, yeah! He's right over.....," his voice died as he turned to the table Taemin was at previously. "I could've sworn I saw him over there."
 
I panicked. "Omo!"
 
Sheriff Choi walked up to us. "Hello, sorry to interrupt, but have you seen my boy around? Minho? I can't seem to find him."
 
My eyes widened. "Really? Taemin's gone too."
 
"Do you think they left?"
 
Jonghyun intervened. "I don't think they would just leave the party like that."
 
Then I thought back to all of the times Taemin complained about not wanting to be here and wanting to leave. Realization hit me when I said, "He's so dead when I find him!"
 
()
Taemin Pov
 
Ditching that party was the easiest thing ever! When a bunch of fancy schmancy adults get alcohol in their system, they seem to forget about the world. 
 
Me and Minho giggled as we ran away from as far away from the company building as possible. We were a few blocks away when we finally stopped running to catch our breaths. 
 
Throughout my laughing I said, "This is so crazy! I can't believe we just did that."
 
"I know! At first I thought you were going to chicken out about it, but you're a little rebel aren't you?"
 
I smiled proudly. "I come with many surprises. So what should we do now?"
 
"Hmm. Well, my dad's the Sheriff of Seoul."
 
"Meaning?"
 
"Meaning he has access to a lot of things."
 
"Meaning?"
 
"Meaning have access to these things."
 
"And what are these things?"
 
"Wow you're more clueless than I thought. I mean drugs. I can get us some good stuff if you're up for it."
 
I raised an eyebrow. "You want to get high?"
 
"Well we don't have to. I mean, not all of us are suited for this life."
 
I scoffed. "Yah, I may look pretty, but I've done more things that can be counted on a hand, maybe more things than you."
 
"Pfft! Yeah, right. Anyway, are you up for it?"
 
"Sure."
 
We made our way down to the Sheriff's station. Everyone seemed to have known Minho quite well, him being the Sheriff's son and all. 
 
He bowed to the lady at a desk. "Good evening, Mrs. Kim. I'm here to pick some things up for my dad. He told me to get the key to his office from you."
 
"Really? He didn't call in to tell me that."
 
"Oh, that's because he's at a business party right now. He was to busy with preparations for the party." Wow, he's good at lying. I should take notes. 
 
"Hmm, well you're trustworthy so I believe you. Here you go," she handed him the key. 
 
"Thanks, Mrs. Kim. I'm bringing my friend with me to help."
 
She smiled warmly. "That's fine. Any friend of yours is a friend of ours." We bowed to her before leaving to walk down a hall to his dad's office. 
 
When we were out of hearing range, I joked, "So we're friends now?"
 
He shrugged his shoulders. "Eh, why not? I figured if I'm sneaking drugs for anyone, we'll be bffs forever."
 
I snickered as he unlocked the door. Once inside, he closed the door and locked it. It looked like a regular office. 
 
"This doesn't seem like a place where drugs would be."
 
"Well of course they won't be in the most obvious places. Follow me."
 
He led to a door before opening it, revealing to be an empty closet.
 
"Nothing's in here."
 
"So you think. You see that?" It was a semicircular mat in the back of the closet. "We have to stand on that. Let's go."
 
I was a bit skeptical, but did as he said. Once we stood on the mat, I was shocked. The wall behind us rotated and took us with it. Once it was done rotating, we were in another room. What I saw before me looked like the holy grail of drug heaven. 
 
"Here we are."
 
There were rows of shelves stacked with drugs of every kind. From weed, to meth, to crack. It was all there!
 
"Where are we," I asked in amazement. 
 
"This, my friend, is the contraband room. This is wear all sorts of drugs had been confiscated from criminals either during arrests or sting operations. All drugs are brought back to the Sheriff department and stored in this very room. Amazing isn't it?"
 
"I'll say...." He led me to a shelf near the wall. It was packed with . 
 
"So we should probably choose one of the recent ones since its freshest." He quickly picked up a pack from the top shelf. He looked really cool. 
 
"Wow, Minho-ssi. Daebak!"
 
()
 
We ended up going to an empty pier over looking a lake. Minho seemed surprised that I knew what I was doing after the third puff I took. 
 
"What," I said innocently. "I told you, I'm not as innocent as you think."
 
"That's what makes you more interesting." He took another drag from his blunt. 
 
It turned out being about 45 minutes before we were high off our . We were giggling messes and the hallucinations were quite interesting. Time passed and it ended up being hours that we were out on the pier. I didn't even notice because we were having so much fun. 
 
Around 7:58, I pulled out my phone and exchanged numbers with Minho. I definitely wanted to hang out with him again. After saving his contact, Daddy's face popped up on my screen, signaling he was calling me. 
 
I giggled as I tried to shush Minho. "Haha, shh! My dad's calling." I answered the phone. "Hiiiii daddyyyyy!"
 
"Taemin? Where the hell are you?! Do you not understand how worried I am?!"
 
I giggled. "I'm having fun daddy. I see a unicorn!" Me and Minho burst out laughing. 
 
"Taemin, why are you talking funny? And who is that with you?"
 
"I love you, Daddy. You're the best dad ever!"
 
"Taemin, answer my questions!"
 
"I have to go now. The unicorn told me to go-"
 
"Taemin you better not hang up this damn ph-" then I hung up. 
 
Me and Minho laughed for what seemed like minutes. I put my phone on silent and Minho did the same thing. 
 
As we came down from our high, we laid out backs on the ground as we looked at the stars. 
 
"Taemin, you're cool."
 
I smiled. "You too....hyung."
 
I saw him smile widened out the corner of my eye. "So I'm hyung now?"
 
"Yah, don't push it. Just say thanks."
 
He snickered. "Thanks."
 
I groaned. "I'm going to be in so much trouble."
 
"Hey, don't worry about it. I told you I'll take the blame."
 
"After a great time like this, there's no way I'm letting you take all the blame. We'll both just have to be in hell together."
 
He chuckled. "Yeah. Well, I hope after being grounded, we'll be able to see each other."
 
"I hope so too."
 
Then, A glimpse of light caught my attention. I lifted up my body and turned around to see headlights of two cars approaching, one of which was Daddy's. 
 
Minho sat up as well and we both had the same thought. 
 
Busted.

Hello again! This is my third story. I hope you guys have enjoyed. I posted a draft of this story on my tumblr (@ihoplover16) so I decided to continue it on here. I hope I can keep you guys interested. Please feel free to subscribe and comment. ^.~