Chapter 8- Past Meets Present: Part 1

Something Kinda Crazy

A/N: Hiya peeps!  This is a semi-Flashback chapter (Suho/Kai) (Onew/Lay). And I'm SO SORRY for not updating this on time. I had such a hard time with this chapter... There's so much going on, and I wanted to kinda tie up some loose ends (although the craziness has just begun lol).Hopefully I can tie up some more in the next chapter. The beginning of the Suho/Kai Flashback is so sad IMO, I wanted to cry lol. I’m also trying to improve my writing so bear with me if my style changes (I always say that lol). After this, we will have a short chapter (hopefully) and then the sleepover chapter (If things go to plan lol). Enjoy! Xx

 

“K…Kai.” Suho’s eyes were transfixed on him. There were a couple of moments of silence.

Kai took another puff of the E-cigarette. “Neh?” he breathed. The tone was amused, almost in a mocking sort of way.

Suho wants to say something, anything. Something like Where were you? Why did you lieave? And most importantly, Why are you back? But he couldn’t form the three simple questions. His brain and mouth settled for just saying “Kai” again.

Kai removed the stick from his mouth and finally walked up to him. He put his arm out and walked up to him. He put his arm out and a tendril of Suho’s hair. “Your hair got a bit darker” he cooly commented. Although his lips are now closed, Suho gnashes his teeth together and briefly shuts his eyes close, trying to calm himself. Kai’s touch still gave him butterflies; still made his insides flip a million times.

Kai lightly smirks at Suho’s reaction. So, nothing has changed over the past year. He still gets to him. Kai stares into his eyes for a second. Suho is staring at his feet, not wanting to meet his gaze.

“So, are you happy to see me?” he moved a bit closer and placed a warm hand on his shoulder. Suho could smell his familiar scent, and memories from the past-along with the warm vanilla musk aroma- filled his mind. He finally looked up, his eyes flashing in anger. “Stay away from me, Kai” he grunted before storming away.

Suho’s fists were clenched as he rushed down the hall. He faintly heard Lay’s voice calling his name, but he ignored it. He didn’t even realize a small tear was rolling down his cheek as he rounded a corner.

                                            [Flashback]

Suho had always noticed him. The swagger in his walk, the thickness of his lips, the glow in his eyes…

But he remained quiet. Every now and then, he would steal a glance, but nothing more. He couldn’t risk getting caught or called out.

One day, his Best Friend Baekhyun nudged him, giggling. “Can’t keep your eyes off the meat, can you?” he joked. It turns out that Baek knew all along about his secret glances, even though he tried his hardest to hide it. Of course, Suho would deny it, and that would cause Baekhyun to scoff, saying “it’s okay to feel how you feel” or “I like Testosterone too.”

He wished that he could have been like Baekhyun, just go up to Kai and confess to him- or better yet kiss him- but he did not have the courage like his Best Friend. Baekhyun’s confidence allowed him to just walk up to the star soccer player Park Chanyeol and ask him out. And it was also Baekhyun’s ‘je ne sais quoi’ that caused the popular stud to say yes in the blink of an eye.

To be honest, he was quite jealous of their relationship. How they would share hugs and kisses in the hall, show each other sweet gestures outside…the hushed whispers, disgusted glares and even outright slurs like “” seemed to roll off their shoulders…they were in love. They seemed happy…they seemed free.

But even the sun sets in paradise.

About a month later, Baekhyun was found dangling from a rope in his room. He left a note, explaining that even though he was happy, he was not free. The words did hurt, and he didn’t want to hurt Chanyeol anymore.

A part of Suho had died. The weeks seemed to blend into each other after Baekhyun’s death. When he finally saw Chanyeol (who looked just as dead as him) he decided to act normal and ask how he was.

The soccer player’s lips quivered, then he almost glared at Suho.

“Don’t ever ing come out.”

After he left, Suho just stood there, dumbfounded. Part of him was inwardly shaking his head at his late friend; Baekhyun had told Chanyeol. He loved Baek, but the guy couldn’t keep a secret to save his life.

It turned out that Chanyeol’s parents had caught them making out in Chanyeol’s bedroom and went crazy. They took away all his privileges and even threatened to cut off his trust fund.

News of the scandal spread like wildfire, and suddenly, Chanyeol’s soccer scholarship was terminated. Although the principal blamed it on a funding shortage, everyone knew the real reason. So, Baekhyun felt like he was ruining Chanyeol’s life, although despite what was happening, he was doing the exact opposite.

The other part of Suho was scared. What if the school found out about him? Would he be ruined? Unlike Chaneyeol’s parents, he didn’t have the money to pay out of pocket for Yongsei.

So, he took the boy’s advice. He kept all his feelings in side, his true self hidden. Sometimes he would get a little stupid and consider it, but he would always come back to his senses.

But one day, when ninth grade was five weeks from ending, everything changed.

It started with science class at 9:20 in the morning. It was a class he shared with Kai. A small portion of him got excited because he could steal his glances while hearing the teacher lecture. It was one thing he could do that wouldn’t be ‘dangerous’.

At 9:21 (a minute after class had started), Kai casually strolls in and takes a seat. He was sporting all white and wearing matching headphones. His hair was slightly slicked back and he was nursing on a cherry er. He looked stunning.

Today, he found it very hard to concentrate. It’s like Kai had dressed up or something. He tried his best to understand the difference between an atom and a molecule but luck was not on his side now.

The class gathered their desks in a circle, preparing for hands-on exercise. Suho quickly glanced at Kai, trying to focus less on the boy’s face and more on his outfit.

After jotting down some pre-activity notes, Suho stole another glance at him, trying to figure out what brand headphones he had.

It was then Kai’s head snapped up and looked Suho dead in the eyes.

Suho was frozen. However, so many thoughts and emotions were racing through him.

Omo, he’s looking at me!

Omo…he caught me staring at him!

Wait…does he know???? Is he going to tell???

Irrational fear and anxiety took over. But it quickly changed to confusion when Kai slightly curved his lips upwards into a smirk, right before placing the er back into his mouth, suctioning his lips around the candy and swiftly pulling it back out, creating a loud POP! sound.

What was that?

A week passed, and the hopeful side of Suho wanted to believe that Kai was flirting, that Kai liked him.

But his hopes were crushed when he passed Kai by a row of lockers, briefly seeing two girls fawning over him.

Except that Kai was looking at him, again.

The next day, Suho was deep in his science workbook in class when he feels a presence sit next to him. He looks up, and it’s Kai. His heart nearly stops- they’ve never been this close before.

Kai is staring at him. After a few seconds, he asks “You wanna work together?”

Suho was not able to form normal speech at that moment, so he merely gulped and nodded.

It turned out Kai was pretty smart, especially when it came to the atoms and molecules unit-he actually helped fill over 50% of the blanks.

For the next few days, they silently paired up and worked together.

Then on Friday, after they finished the exercises in the book, Kai put his hand on his forearm. Suho could have died right there. He slowly looked up to him and barely choked out a small “neh?”

Kai lightly chuckled at the boy’s struggle to form a word. “Do you want to go to this party tonight?”

Suho wanted to arch a brow at him. Kai didn’t really seem like the party type. Sure he was semi-popular, but there was this mysterious element to him that didn’t seem it would mix with partying.

“Ani…I already have plans” he lied as smoothly as he could. To be honest, his Friday night was more open than a hula hoop, but he would never admit it. It was something that Baek had taught him. “Make ‘em think you’re busy, so they’ll want to spend time with you and be interested”.

But that’s assuming that Kai liked him, or boys in general, which he didn’t. There he was, being stupid and too hopeful again.

Kai’s eyes darkened a bit…was it sadness? “Ok” he quietly said before getting up and leaving right when the bell rang.

As soon as Suho plopped on the couch that evening, he instantly regretted declining Kai's offer. He wondered would it have been better if he actually got a chance to socialize, to hang around the 'cool kids', to get a glimpse into Kai's world.

He grunted, realizing that Kai would probably be surrounded by desperate but attractive females, as always. He shook away the thoughts as he prepared to dull his mind with the TV.

Monday morning, the two worked together again in class. There was nothing different; they briefly discussed a more difficult problem and made small talk, but that was it. Maybe Suho could get used to this, forever being in the gray area between acquaintances and friends.

But at lunch, as Suho was prepared to sit alone (again, nothing new) he heard a familiar voice call him. "Suho! Over here!" He turned around to see Kai waving, seated at a table with his friends. He gulped as he made his way over.

As he sat, he took in the other boys at the table. There were three: Kris, Chen and a boy he didn't know. He knew of the first two (they were always seen hanging with Kai) but he had never seen the other.

"So, are you going to introduce us?" Kris pointed a chopstick at Kai. "Oh, um yeah, guys, this is my friend Suho, Suho, this is Kris, Chen and Kyungsoo." He put a hand on Suho's shoulder and the other pointed to the guys.

Suho was shocked at the intimate contact, but he was more shocked at the word that just casually flew from the boy's mouth.

Friend.

Friend. Were his ears deceiving him?

"Annyeong, Suho" Kris and Chen greeted in unison. However, Kyungsoo just eyed the two. "You didn't tell us that you're going and finding random friends" he said, causing the other males to laugh. Kyungsoo has a playful smile on his face, but there is a deeper meaning to the words. Is it...jealousy?*

"Neh, we're partners in science class" Kai smiles as he finally removes his hand from his shoulder. Suho nods in agreement. The boys soon talk about other subjects, then a tall girl with brown hair passes their table. Kai's eyes meet hers for a second.

"Aigoo...that girl is so fine!" Chen remarks as he slams his empty cup on the table. "Yah, Yeppeo!" He calls to her, but it seems that she's ignoring him. "Yah, Kai, isn't that girl fine?" He asks. "Ani...her name is Krystal and she's my sister" he comments, causing Chen to choke on his food. "Chincha?!" "Neh, and she's older than you too" Kai rolls his eyes. "Well, she's still cute" Chen shrugs and turns to Kris. "What do you think?" "Mmm...she's alright." Kris says. "But my eyes are set on this girl named Wendy" he smiles hazily as he thinks of her. "Ugh whatever" Chen groans. He smirks as he nods to Kyungsoo. "What about you?" He snickers. He rolls his eyes at Chen knowingly. "She has cute clothes." All the boys laugh except Suho. So it seems that Kyungsoo wasn't attracted to girls themselves, only their clothes. He observes the other boys. They were laughing, but they seemed to be accepting of him.

Kyungsoo arches a brow at Suho. "What about you, Suho? Do you think Kai's sister is cute?"

Suho raises his head up, eyes wide as he looks into Kyungsoo's eyes. What should he say?

There were 10 seconds of silence. He decides to play it safe.

"Yeah, she's cute I guess."

Suho sees Kyungsoo arch a brow. "Hhmm" the shorter sounds, obviously not believing him. Was I really that obvious? He inwardly sighs. If Baekhyun could see through him, so could Kyungsoo. Kai glances at Suho briefly before returning to slurp his noodles.

"So" Kyungsoo starts, changing the subject. "Who are you studying with for these killer exams? You already know I'm flying solo." "Aish, you're smart, Kyung!" Chen whines. "Share your talents with us!! Please!" He begs. "Ani...I do well if I study alone " "Aish! Well I guess Kris and I will study together... And fail together." Chen sighs. "Yah! I'm not failing! You better try you hardest if we do study together!" Kris yells as he pushes his friend. "So, who are you going to study with, Kai?" "Well, Suho's pretty smart, we can study for the science exam...is that okay?" He turns to him.

Suho almost chokes on his food like Chen did earlier. "Uhm, yeah, sure...that's fine" he replied, trying to stay calm.

"Well, good luck to all of us...we're going to need it" Kyungsoo mutters bitterly as the bell rung.

Music: "Intoxicated I Love You" by SayWeCanFly

Kai was in Suho's room. Yes, Kai was in Suho's room. He could hardly remember the prior events that led up to now....Kai and he exchanged numbers and texted each other about the meeting place to study. It was decided that they would meet at Suho's house, since Kai said his parents weren't too keen on having guests. It was 3 days before the exam, and today was the day he was coming over. Suho was a nervous wreck when the doorbell rang, but calmed down enough so he could open the door and invite him in. 

Kai was walking around, touching random books and objects in Suho's room. "You have a cool room" he muttered, observing a poster of a band on the wall. "K...komawo." Suho cursed himself for stuttering... He wanted to not seem nervous. 

After another minute, Kai plopped down on the bed and brought out the study guide. He patted the sheet, signaling for Suho to come and sit. Suho's eyes widened in panic. He couldn't sit on the bed with him. They found Baekhyun and Chanyeol on the bed. What if his parents walked in on them on the bed? What would they think? He couldn't risk it. 

"Ani...I have a 2nd chair here" he pointed to it. Kai rolled his eyes. "Come on over here...I don't want to sit in a chair" he protested. 

Suho sighed, giving in. He prayed that his parents wouldn't walk in and misinterpret the scene.

As he settled down on the bed, his stomach tightened. He tried to ignore the feeling as he he took out his textbook, a sheet of paper and a pencil. 

Two hours of intense studying passed, and the two were getting a little tired. Kai stretched his arms out while Suho was still trying to concentrate. He could see Suho struggling with the problem with how his fingers were gripped so tightly on the pencil. 

"Yah, Suho." 

"Mmm?" 

"Is that a chemical equation?" 

"Neh."

"Let me help." 

Kai reached for the pencil in Suho's hand. Their knuckles grazed against each other and Suho stiffened, dropping the pencil. 

"Mianhe, I'll get it."

"Ani, gwenchana, I got it."

The two leaned down to retrieve it. On their way down, they bumped foreheads. 

"Ow, Mian-" Suho stopped talking (and breathing) when he looked up to see that their faces were inches away. Kai was staring back, wearing a smoldering gaze. 

He gulped. "K...Kai" was all he could say. 

Kai was silent. He moved a centimeter closer. 

"K...k...k...Kai, I got it" he tried to be more assertive. He was sweating now. 

This can't be happening

Suho wanted to back away and run away, but he couldn't. It's like he was stuck there. 

His body started shaking now. 

Kai reached a finger out and brushed some his hair back; the bangs that fell when Suho bent down. He hadn't broken the gaze yet. 

They were both breathing heavily. Kai shifted closer, their noses were now brushing each other. 

Suho broke the gaze and stared at Kai's chest. 

This was happening

"Kai" Suho barely breathed as he felt a pair of lips gently kiss his. 

                                      [Flashback Ends] 

 

 

 

Dongwoo stretched as he walked with Woohyun out of the gym. "Aish, I'm so glad that's over" he yawned. "Can't wait to get out of here and take a nap!" Woohyun sees Key and Wendy laughing down the hall. Key has his arm around Wendy's shoulders. He grits his teeth at the sight.

"Yah, Dongwoo?"

"Mwo?"

"Were you really serious about Key and Wendy?"

"Neh?"

"Like do you mean that they're a couple? Are they really dating?"

"Nado Molla" he shrugs. "They seem like it..." he arches a brow at Woohyun. "Wae...what's it to you?"

"Ani...it's nothing."

 

 

 

Onew laughs another time at the chancellor's joke. He bowed to Mr. Gyeon and his parents as they prepared to leave. He hugged Irene, telling her that he'll see her after school. She nodded and was limp in his arms. She wore a strange expression as he watched her walk away. What's wrong with her? He was about to run after her when the bell rang, meaning he only had 5 minutes to get to class. He sighed and headed the other way. While walking, he slams into another student. "Yah, Watch where you're goin-" he stops and glares when he sees it's Lay, who's glaring right back at him. "No, Jinki, you watch where you're going" he sneered. Onew rolls his eyes. He steps up to his former friend. "Look, Lay, I don't want any problems, okay? Just mind your business and keep on walking" he warned. "Ha!" Lay scoffed. "You're one to make threats now, eh? Hmm, Jinki?" Onew gritted his teeth. "Don't call me that" he snapped. "Arasso." Lay smirked. "What should I call you then? Coward? Fake? Spoiled?" Onew's eyes turn to slits. He started to shake with anger. How could he call him that? "Not like it isn't true" Lay cooly commented before walking away. If it hadn't been for him having to get to class, Onew might have actually punched him in the face. But then he remembered, he's better than that. Better than Lay. He had class and dignity. He sighed as he headed towards his physics class.

             [Flashback]

Song: "You were my friend" by David Choi

It was a beautiful morning of the island of Jeju. The sun was high in the air and the sky was clearer than a crystal glass.

Onew laughed as he pretended to chase a flock of seagulls in the air. He stuck his finger out, pretending to touch one. He exhaled in happiness as he felt the warm breeze whip against his coal black hair. He skipped through the cool sand until his bare foot struck something sharp.

"Ow" he whined. He bent down to discover what injured him. He saw that the culprit was a smooth, yet spiked seashell. He held it up in the air, inspecting it. It reminded him of the sun, or at least how his art teachers told him to draw it. When he turned it to the light, he could see the Kalaidescope of colors it made. It was beautiful.

Ever since 3 years ago, When his parents started vacationing here, Onew had been collecting shells. Exploring the geology and biology of the island was exciting to him- everytime he would show his father, he would always ruffle his hair and say that he was "so glad my son caught the science bug." He ran over to his parents. "Omma! Appa! Look! Look what I found!" he yelled. "Hmm?" his father asked as he looked up from a book. "Look at the shell appa!" It's so pretty." "Neh, it is Jinki" Mr. Lee smiled. "How about you show your mother?" "Neh! Omma! Look!" he ran up to her. She was picking wildflowers and stems, creating a floral basket. "Oh, wow, that's beautiful sweetie" She smiled and patted her son's head. She frowned when she felt a grainy substance in his hair. "What's in your hair? Jinki!" she gasped. "You have sand all in your hair! You messy little thing..." she ruffled his hair, trying to get rid of the substance. "Mianheyo" Onew said. "Gwenchana sweetie" she muttered, now smoothing and fussing over his t-shirt and cargo pants. "Don't get all dirty...we have guests to meet in an hour." "Guests?" he frowned up at her. "Neh, and we want to look nice for them" she added. "Now, don't touch your clothes with those things; we paid a lot of money for them, we don't want them to be ruined by dirty seashells." "Arasso." Onew pouted.

The wind was whipping his hair as Onew watched a small helicopter slowly land near the dock. Three people hastily stepped off it: a man, a petite woman and a boy about his age. They were disheveled; the woman wore a long tattered dress, along with a scarf on her head. The boy wore ankle-beater pants with an oversized shirt. And finally, the man had on a pair of stained overalls with a scruffy beard. It looked like he hadn't shaved in weeks-plus the grease (oil?) on his face made him appear meancing. Onew hid behind his mother, clinging to her floral patterned dress.

"Don't be scared, Jinki-ah" Ms. Lee said. By now, the three were getting closer. "Daiyu!" his mom exclaimed, running up to the woman and hugging her. "You made it." "Neh" the woman said into his mom's shoulder. He saw a tear escape from her eye. "Feng" his father walked up to the man, giving him  a chokehold hug (in an endearing way). "You're here" he breathed. "All thanks to you" the man said, his voice shaking. A tear was also running down his face. Onew was still scared, but now a little confused. If they seemed happy, why were they crying?

After the adults were done embracing each other, Mrs. Lee turned to him. "Jinki, come up here and meet your new friend." He cautiously stepped up to meet the mysterious boy. "Jinki, this is Yixing, Yixing, this is my son, Lee Jinki." "Annyeonghaseyo, Yixing" he bowed and offered his hand for a shake. Yixing flinched at it, backing into the woman. "N...Ni hao" he quietly stuttered. Onew frowned at the boy's nervousness. His dad had always taught him to say hello and shake hands with new people. Did he do something wrong?

Mrs. Lee noticed her son's frown and patted his hair. "Gwenchana, sweetie, Yixing's still a bit shaken up." Still? From what? Onew thought, but didn't question it aloud. "Jinki, meet Yixing's parents, Zhang Daiyu and Zhang Feng." "Anniyangkaseho" they said, but their accents sounded off. Even at the age of 7, he could tell. Were they Korean? The man went up to him and ruffled his hair. "Ah, so this is Jinki" Feng spoke. "I remember when you were this little" he made the shape of cradling a baby with his arms. Onew frowned some more. He wasn't talking in Korean. He faintly heard a reply to the man's comment. He realized it was from his mom. What is going on? Daiyu was next, walking up and showing a sweet smile. "Jinki, you're so cute." He had no idea what she was saying, but he assumed it was nice. She touched his shorts. "You have such a cute outfit!" Onew scrunched his nose a bit. She smelled like oil and stale food. He could now see the stains on her dress and her dirty nails. He stepped back. "Mianheyo, but Omma said I can't get dirty... and your hands are" he pointed at them. Daiyu rose and smiled sadly. She must've understood him. His mom cleared . "Well, let's get you all inside and settled" Mr. Lee spoke, leading them towards the beach house. The three guests picked up their bags-- they each had a single brown sack. 

 

 

 

 

* - I am a Kaisoo shipper lol. Although my first ship is Sekai, I also Ship Kai/Suho too. So, little Kyungsoo has a little bit of jealousy because of my Kaisoo feels lol

A/N: What do you think? I hope the Kai/Suho flashback wasn't too awkward or long. Their past here is just beginning lol. Same for Onew/Lay. So be on the lookout from more blasts from the past lol. And everyone is getting a flashback/backstory. Again, sorry for the wait. Hopefully I can get this shorter chapter up by Sunday?? *crosses fingers* And please forgive me for my weird writing (It took me over 4 hours to write the Kai/Suho flashback). And BTW, the song for the Kai/Suho kiss scene is not the best pick (lyrically) but I was listening to it on repeat lol. I thought that the tempo went with the scene, if that makes any sense. Again, thank you all for reading. Please let me know if I need to fix anything. Love You <3

--Chels