A Series of Light I

EXO Trials

 

The office wasn’t quite decorative nor personal, it really was just another office space in the agency. The difference was the small bookshelf at the back corner, behind the wooden desk, and a small painting of sunflowers at the left. There were no photographs or trinkets here and there to characterize the room according to the person who worked there, which only made Baekhyun assume that Dr. Song didn’t frequent using the office they were now in.

“Byun Baekhyun, correct?” Dr. Song read from the file.

“Yes,” he nodded, accommodating himself in a more suiting position on the armchair.

“You’re the other one who chose not to take your real name,” she noted. “Why’s that?”

Baekhyun pursed his lips together feeling uneasy with her bluntness towards personal matters.

“Personal choice,” he replied.

Dr. Song let out a single chuckle and closed the folder to look directly at him. “I understand it was a personal choice,” she said. “What was the reason behind that choice? Was there an important thought behind your decision?”

Baekhyun drifted his gaze. Of course there was a reason, he scoffed in his mind, I’m not that person anymore.

“Because I’m Baekhyun,” he shrugged his shoulders in response.

“Uh huh,” she said an jotted down an annotation on her moleskin notebook.

Baekhyun frowned, wondering what she might have written about him.

“How have you been feeling these past few days, given all the circumstances?” she smiled.

“Seriously?” Baekhyun couldn’t help his sarcasm as he crossed his arm before his chest. “Has that worked with the rest?”

Dr. Song chuckled and shook her head. “You guys are as talkative as a rock,” she said as she imitated his posture. “It’s been hard to converse with your friends. Your group is very tight and reserved.”

“Yeah, well talking hasn’t been much of our strong points,” he commented.

She nodded. “The first one I interviewed, Lu Han, he just answered things I wanted to hear,” she sighed in disbelief, tucking a hair strand away from her face. “He sneakily used his telepathy to finish the consult as fast as it started.”

Baekhyun smirked, feeling proud of Lu Han’s slyness.

“It’s not a good thing,” Dr. Song said with a serious tone as she leaned her elbows against the desk. “It’s not good to suppress everything inside. My goal is to help you guys overcome any psychological traumas or instability for your wellbeing. And I can’t do my job if you don’t share your thoughts and feelings with me,” she explained.

Baekhyun unconsciously began to press his thumb nail against the tip of his other fingers, pressing down against the hardness of the diodes inserted in them. A small habit he acquired out of boredom or nervousness, or both.

“Why are you telling me this?” Baekhyun asked instead, causing the woman to frown in confusion. “I thought this was a quick evaluation, just some basic questions and then I’d be out of here, like the rest of them.”

“You’re my last consult, why hurry? It still is going to be quite quick,” she argued.

“It clearly isn’t,” he raised his brow. “You’re delaying.”

“Because you haven’t answered my question,” she said back.

Baekhyun bit his lower lip to contain himself and the slight irritation he felt for losing the small argument.

“What was the question again? How am I feeling? Let’s see. How do I feel after having escaped twice from some crazy scientists and military men, fighting for my life, fighting to stay alive and keeping my friends alive from freaking monsters created by the person who’s the closest thing I have to being my mother?” his tone was defiant. “How I feel after finding out I’m the clone of someone who’s been dead for years. That my real family from the real world doesn’t know of my existence and assume me to be dead, and I will never, never, be able to meet them. Ever.” He stopped his rant and took in a deep breath. “You want me to tell you how I feel after all that?” he asked incredulously, “Do you really believe it’s that simple?”

“Emotions aren’t complicated, Baekhyun. You just feel them,” she said determined.

Something in her tone sounded condescending and that irked him.

“Well then I don’t ing know how I feel,” he blurted out angered.

The doctor rose a brow at his cursing but didn’t reprimand him, instead she wrote something down on her notebook.

“You don’t know?” she tilted her head to the side, irking his insides.

“No,” he glared.

“Or is it that you’ve felt too much that you can’t express it in simple terms?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” he stubbornly said, his hands in an attempt to keep his cool “It’s not simple.”

“It is simple. How do you feel now?”

“I don’t know,” he frowned.

“Baekhyun,” she pressed.

“Frustrated,” he nearly growled. “I’m pissed, I’m mad, I’m sad, I’m tired, I’m confused, I’m, I’m…” he realized his uneven breathing so he stopped rambling. He stared down at his hands, watching as they trembled while his heart beat loudly against his chest. “I’m scared,” he admitted with a shaky breath.

He heard her call his name with care, but it wasn’t until he heard his name the third time that he looked up into her calm gaze. “What are you afraid of?” she asked softly, as if her voice could hurt him is she spoke any louder.

The stir in his body caused a cold chill to run down his spine. The previous discomfort of his beating heart turned into a clenching ache. “After everything we’ve gone through,” his voice dry and quiet, “it’s foolish to believe that it’s all over and we’re safe.”

Dr. Song remained silent for a moment, giving him the chance to settle himself and calm any anxious feeling he had. Baekhyun found distraction with fidgeting with his fingertips, avoiding the psychiatrist’s analytical gaze.

“It might be,” she spoke calmly while making sure to not startle him. “But you have the chance to believe everything will be better one day. Chief Park is top class amongst our agents, I know he’ll do everything possible to keep his word and keep you safe.”

Baekhyun stared back at her, not wanting to feel as hopeful as her words sounded.

“It’s normal to feel scared Baekhyun,” she said with a reassuring smile. “And the best you can do is confide in your friends and find support and comfort among them. Alright?” He nodded. “Good,” she smiled again. “We’re here to help you as long as you’re willing to be helped,” she explained in a calm manner. “How do you feel now, after letting go of all that you’ve had pent up?”

This time he kept his tongue still, thinking before speaking. Taking deep breaths he did notice he felt a little alleviated. “Good,” he admitted.

Her smile widened. “See? This is all we’ll do, just talk it out. Alright?”

Baekhyun nodded feeling a little foolish about being so stubborn, but still not comfortable enough to let his emotions go.

“I’ve been briefed on what you boys have been through, I know it’s difficult. I didn’t mean to sound condescending, but from my analysis I knew I would have to push you a bit into talking,” she clarified. “I just need you to talk to me so I can understand better and see how I can help, alright?”

Baekhyun shrugged in response.

She opened the folder and revised the files. “How well do you get along with your group?” she asked. “You are relatively new to the group, right?”

“Well, yeah” he shrugged. “I met them the day we escaped from the underground facility.”

“That was on March 31st, eight days from now,” she checked.

“A week?” Baekhyun was surprised. “Man, I feel like it’s been longer than that,” he commented. “I, well I get along with everyone. I just fit easily.”

“Great,” she nodded. “So among the group do you all get along or is there any animosity?”

“We get along pretty well,” he immediately replied, though his mind drifted to the few quarrels here and there between Lu Han and Kyungsoo, Lu Han and Sehun, Yifan and Junmyeon, and for a moment Lu Han and Yixing. Man did Lu Han argue a lot.

“Anything to add?” she asked expectantly. “Surely among a numbered group of people there must be some differences.”

“Umm,” he wasn’t comfortable with spilling the beans. “Well yeah, occasionally. Whenever we have to make decisions and stuff, not everyone agrees right away,” he answered instead.

“Right,” she agreed. “It’s to be expected.”

Baekhyun nodded.

“Alright, let’s try to quicken the pace. Shall we?” she suggested.

“Yes.”

“Do you feel some sense of loyalty or belonging to Namu or the company EX’ACT?”

“What? No,” he frowned, feeling somewhat offended.

“Just needed to ask,” she raised her hand in defeat. “Since you belonged there for some time, there could’ve been some sort of attachment towards it. But the main response has been a flat out no, which is good,” she explained.

“Oh,” he hummed. “There’s no way any of us would want to go back to that.”

“I understand,” she nodded. “Have you had any recent mood swings that seemed misplaced? As in, moments where you feel completely fine and suddenly you feel a drastic change in your mood, could be depressed, anxious, sad, or even euphoric.”

He gave it some thought. “No.”

She nodded. “Ever felt uneasy with your surroundings, like a bit paranoid with no real reason?”

“Well, we were being chased,” Baekhyun said.

“Yes, but after that. When you were brought here to the agency?”

“Well,” he scratched his ear, “we didn’t really trust this place at first, but I wouldn’t say I was paranoid about it.”

“Alright,” she nodded. “Any recurring nightmares of any sort? Short ones, long ones, maybe one that repeats itself or one that leaves you frightened and breathless when you wake up?”

Baekhyun had gone still, his mind wandered off to the many nights he would wake up frighten and expecting a bogger to pop into his room. Just two fights were enough to make him fear those creatures into haunting him.

“Baekhyun?” Dr. Song carefully called.

“Boggers,” he answered, eyes casted down towards his hands. “I still have dreams about those freaking boggers.”

She nodded, folding her hand over the desk where he could see them. “Frequently?”

“Lately, not as much,” he replied. “At least once every other night. It used to be more than one every night,” he admitted.

The doctor nodded. “Can you describe a general depiction of what they’re like and how you react to them?”

Baekhyun took in a deep breath. “It’s basically dreams of fighting them again, like memories. But most of the time,” he rubbed his neck, “Most of the time the room grows darker and I, I end up running for my life because I can’t see them anymore.”

“I understand,” she said calmly as she wrote on her notebook. “Not being able to see the thing what we fear, what’s chasing us, is very unsettling, right?”

Baekhyun nodded, feeling a bit better by sharing his trouble.

“In those dreams are you always alone or is there someone with you?”

“There’s always someone with me at first. Sometimes the nightmare resembles a memory, so I’m with my group fighting back to back. I think most of them have been with just Chanyeol and I,” he recalled. “But then I get separated as it gets darker and I end up alone.”

“Any special reason why you have this dream only with Chanyeol?” she asked.

“He was there with me the first time I saw a bogger,” Baekhyun explained. “The nightmare is always about us running through endless halls.”

“Hmm,” she hummed. “So it resembles your first encounter with a bogger then.”

“Yes.”

“Can you describe the state you are in when you wake up?” she asked. “For example, are you agitated or short of breath? And discomfort?”

“Umm,” he hummed as he put some thought to it. “Yeah. Yeah I feel like I’ve been running for real. Shortness of breath and just freaked out.” He paused, “I umm, I look around to make sure there aren’t any boggers around. It’s stupid, but I still do-” He stopped as he remembered something, “Suho, I mean Junmyeon he woke up once because me. He said that I make a lot of noise when I sleep. Is that normal?”

Dr. Song looked a little taken aback by the change up subject. “Well, yes, during a disturbing dream like your nightmares, it’s common to voice out during your sleep.”

“I guess so,” Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders. “But what about while falling asleep?”

“What?”

“He said I makes noises as I’m falling to sleep,” Baekhyun explained. “Like little hums.”

“I, umm,” she looked confused. “I’m not sure, I haven’t heard about that before. I’ll have to look it up,” she said and took note. “Back to your nightmare,” she said as she clicked the pen, “Do you manage to fall asleep afterwards?”

Baekhyun nodded. “After a while I do.” He fiddled with his fingers. “This past week has been rather tough. Either you fall asleep from sheer exhaustion or you don’t sleep at all.”

Dr. Song smiled softly, trying to be empathetic without passing as condescending. I understand,” she said. “Do you have another nightmare after?”

“Not anymore,” Baekhyun said. “Like I said, they’re not as frequent anymore.”

“Right,” she nodded and scribbled in her notebook. “Is there any other bad dream you have? Or something that strikes fear in you?”

“I, umm…” Baekhyun dig his thumbnail into the tip of his ring finger quite hard. “Actually, it’s not just because I can’t see the boggers in my nightmares that I’m afraid,” he admitted with some difficulty.

“Go on,” she encouraged.

“It’s… It’s because of the dark,” he said uneasily.

“The dark?” she questioned. Baekhyun nodded. “Why?”

“I hate the dark,” he admitted.

She looked a little surprised. “Is there a specific reason you fear the dark?”

Baekhyun kept quiet, gaze down as he fidgeted with his fingers.

“Baekhyun?”

“I don’t want to talk about that now,” he said.

“Alright,” she easily agreed. “Maybe some other time?”

“Maybe,” he mumbled.

“Let’s continue then,” she suggested and checked the file. “Have you felt anxious for no apparent reason, just sudden moments during the day that you feel a bit out of it and panicky?”

Baekhyun frowned and scratched his arm. “Well, for no reason, no. Not really, no.”

“And have you felt any spur of anxiety given under a specific situation? Any known triggers?”

He rubbed the side of his face. “Well, when I fought against a bogger I felt like I was about to have a heart attack.”

“I can imagine so,” she said making a discomforted face. “I probably would’ve fainted if I ever saw one,” she commented. “My question was towards more recent times. Think back two to four days from now.”

Four days ago I found out we were all freaking clones. He remembered.

“Well, umm. Four days ago we all felt like sh- like our world crashed down,” he honestly said. “We found out we were clones and well, that was…”

“How did you feel?”

Baekhyun frowned. How did I feel?

“I don’t know, I...”

“Come on, just give it a try,” she calmly encouraged.

“Strange?” he replied uncertain. “I, felt like I was cheated. I felt like I wasn’t myself? Like, I know I am me and I’m real, but at the same time I felt… I felt like I wasn’t? It was,” he scratched his head as he tried to explain himself. “I know I am me, but at that time I wondered, who was the real me? Who was the person I came from? Was that guy the same as me or am I a completely different person?.” He sighed, “It’s hard to explain.”

“No, you did excellent,” she smiled encouragingly as she wrote on her notebook. “Do you still have some of those thoughts now, after learning from whom you came from?”

Baekhyun took a minute to reply. “No, not really.” He sat up straighter, “I know now that even if I’m someone’s clone, we are completely different people. I don’t doubt who I am.” He paused. “I do sometimes wonder who he could’ve been like, you know? Like, did he have a similar personality as me. Did he have the same taste in things as me, that kind of stuff. But I’d rather not get lost in thinking that stuff.”

She nodded. “It’s best to focus on reality than in make believe,” she commented.

“Right,” he agreed.

“Okay,” she looked at the file. “This one may be a little more tough,” she said as she closed the folder and placed her hands on top. “How do you feel about Lu Mei?”

“What?”

“Well, after all that’s happened, do you hate her or resent her? What’s your opinion towards her?”

Baekhyun wetted his lips as he gave it some thought. He knew that he was one of the few of the group who didn't hate Mama’s guts or feel some resentment towards her. And he wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. He hated what happened, yes, like all of them. No one would've ever gone through the trials if they had a choice. Everything about the trials would be a horrible memory that would haunt him forever. But, he just couldn't bring himself to despise her. After all they wouldn’t be alive without her. And damn Mama’s the most complex and abstruse person he’ll ever know, and he couldn't help himself but admire her brilliance and strategy to pull their escape off under everyone's noses. Everything about her was complicated and genius, twisted and evil with good intent hidden underneath. It might’ve been hard to see, but Mama wasn't ever their enemy, just an overly complicated mother figure.

“I don’t hate her,” he calmly said. “Despite everything she's ever done, I never hated her.”

“So you’ve never hated her? Not even for a moment?” she asked surprised.

“Well, I mean, there were times when I hated what she did or was doing, but in the end I was just frustrated because I didn't understand why she did those things or just hated what was happening,” he explained. “But I, I don’t hate her. I don’t think I can.”

“Hmm,” Dr. Song hummed as she took notes.

“Do you hate your mother?”

“Excuse me?” the doctor said taken aback.

“Do you hate your mother?” he asked again.

“I, uh. No,” she replied. “No, I don't.”

“But you have felt angry at her sometimes right?”

Dr. Song nodded. “You feel that Lu Mei is your mother?”

“She’s the closest to one,” he shrugged. “And she did create me, so… yeah.”

Dr. Song nodded as was about to take more notes but her gaze met the clock. “Oh, we’ve exceeded the time limit,” she realized. “I still had a few questions left, but with what we’ve talked is enough for now.”

“Oh, alright.”

“This was good right? Talking helps let go of all those repressed feelings and assimilate your circumstances better,” she said with a reassuring smile. “Do you feel any better after talking with me?”

“Yeah, actually I do,” he smiled.

“Great. Then that will be all for today.”

“So any signs of mental instability or am I good to go?” he curiously asked.

“Well,” she rested her chin against her hands. “Despite all the stressful and traumatic events, you show no signs of post-traumatic stress disorder. Nor do you seem to have any anxiety issues or depression. Which is great, very positive,” she said. “It’s expected within the circumstances to have some difficulties accepting what has happened and to present some emotional traumas, but that will require more time to evaluate. For now you're doing quite well and you are a resilient guy.” Dr. Song stood from her chair. “So yes, you are good to go.”

“Alright,” Baekhyun stood up and politely bowed his goodbye.

“We’ll see each other again,” the doctor assured as she opened the door for him. “And Baekhyun, thank you for being so cooperative. You’ve made it easy to do my job and I hope I’ll be able to help you even more.”

Baekhyun smiled at her sincerity and bid goodbye once more.

 

Chief Park’s squad escorted them to the safe house at Cheongdam neighborhood in Gangnam district, which was quite far from the Agency’s Main building, as Cheongdam was located by the Hang river that divides the city’s center.

Baekhyun could tell how far they were just by observing the change of scenery before him, from the outskirts of the city into the modernized financial area and by the sky’s color change with the slow descent of the sun.

Stepping outside of the van he immediately noticed that their safe home was never a house to begin with but a double towered building. It was a very odd building of four floors and a spacious parking lot that covered the front facing the street, right side and the back of the building, leaving only the left side with some meager space for grass; decorated with rock pine trees and a cherry blossom tree. Baekhyun figured that the extensive use of space for parking cars was probably because the building used to be an office not a residence.

The building’s structure had the first floor covering the ground, like any normal building and it was taller than any other floor. Then two towers rose from the second floor, leaving space between them. The third floor had a bridge connecting the two towers, while the roof of the fourth floor was uniting both towers. So the towers were connected by the third floor and the roof, and obviously by the base of the first floor.

“Why the hell does a four story building have two towers,” he commented to Sehun.

“No idea,” the younger shrugged.

“Doesn’t matter,” Zitao said. “I’ve seen this place before.”

“And that’s good news?” he wondered.

“Yeah,” the time controller smirked.

The door had a number panel as well as a key lock. Chief Park punched the code for them to enter the house. Inside the first floor was very spacious, modern and with a high ceiling, making the place look even bigger.

“Junior SA. Cha, FA Kim and Moon, please go prepare something for supper,” Special Agent Choi ordered.

Three men made their way to the right and walked down the hall.

“All other Junior SA.’s head to the surveillance room, check that everything is working at optimum,” three men walked towards the same direction the previous went. “Field Agent Nam and Kwon hit the roof,” two men went towards the stairs at the left, which were closer. “You four make yourselves useful with a ground check,” he ordered the rest to move outside and check around the house.

“Alright,” Agent Choi looked at the group. “Living room to the left, dining room at the middle -there’s a guest restroom there next to it,” Agent Choi pointed at said places. “The kitchen is at the right side. It has an island table so you can eat there as well.” He motioned for them to follow him towards the kitchen. Inside three agents were diligently preparing enough food for all of them to eat. “That door at the back leads to the backyard,

“Which used to be a parking lot,” Chief Park interrupted, “but we modified it to a basketball court since we believe you’ve got to expend all you energy somehow. And well, basketball sounded cool.”

“What’s basketball?” Chanyeol asked.

The Agents shared a look.

“It’s a sport played with two teams and a ball,” Chief Park briefly explained. “We’ll teach you tomorrow.”

“Anyway,” Agent Choi continued. “That other door there,” he pointed at a black door opposite to the kitchen, it was more towards the hall and out of the way. “That door leads to the basement, which is off limits-”

“Not restricted,” Chief Park corrected. “It’s just that we don’t think you’ll ever use it. But it’s not out of bounds,” he remarked giving a scolding gaze at his subordinate.

“Right, my mistake,” Agnet Choi quickly excused. “The basement will be where my team and I will stay and keep guard,” he explained. “We have surveillance cameras surrounding the building and the periphery streets at a radius of fifty meters. There are also cameras in the common areas of the house, but not inside the bedrooms or bathrooms. We want you guys to still have privacy.”

“Is that where three agents are now?” Jongdae asked.

“Yes,” Agent Choi replied. “Junior Special Agents Kim, Jang and Lim are on duty right now. And don’t worry, I’ll introduce all my team to you guys so you’ll know who’s who.”

“Yeah,” Chief Park said. “We’ve also installed a security alarm system for the doors and the outside gate. The code will change every 24 hours,” the Chief paused. “Everyday at lockdown we’ll change the code. That way in the morning you won’t have problems stepping out of the house.”

“What’s lockdown?” Junmyeon asked.

“We will lock the house at midnight every night and activate a more sensitive security system,” Agent Choi answered. “Everyday there will be a common alarm system to warn any ins and outs of the house. It gives forty five seconds to confirm the code and not go off. But it can be deactivated if everyone is inside and with the guard squad, that way you can leave some doors open and go in and out of the house,” he explained. “But at night the alarms can’t be deactivated, so you can’t wander in and out of the building without setting it off.”

“Also the windows will be locked and a surveillance sensor will be activated,” Chief Park added. “Each room has an AC and heater, so you can set the temperature to your liking. So no cooling the rooms with open windows at night. Got it?” The group agreed.

“This implies that we’ll set a curfew to a maximum of ten O’clock at night,” Agent Choi added.

“I’m sorry that we sound restrictive, but it’s for your security,” the Chief said sympathetically. “We’ll be very restrictive at first, and as time passes and we deem it safe, we’ll loosen up and give you guys more freedom. But for now, please follow our rules.”

“We understand,” Yifan said.

Baekhyun nodded in agreement, though he felt just as restricted as he was living in the underground facility. At least here he was safe and bogger free.

“You will all receive a supplementary key in case you forget the code,” Agent Choi said and pick out a key from his pocket. “It’s not a normal key, it has no teeth,” he showed the flat rectangle part of the key. “Inside it has a chip that gets updated with the code, so the code reader inside the lock will scan the code and let you in.”

“I think we’re going to use them all the time,” Baekhyun commented, earning a few chuckles in agreement.

“Maybe,” Chief Park smiled. “What else do we have to tell them? It’s getting late,” he mentioned as he looked at his wrist watch.

“Well, the second floor has a recreational room for exercising on the right tower. And on the left tower there’s a recreational room with computers, musical instruments and art supplies. As well as a bookshelf that we’d like you guys to fill out with what you want to read.” Agent Choi explained. “Bathrooms in both,” he quickly added.

“Third floor has one bedroom with a conjoined bathroom on each tower, and also a study room,” he continued. “Umm, because of how the office used to be space, each bedroom will be shared with two of you guys. Is that alright?”

“Yeah, it’s fine,” Junmyeon answered for them all.

“Great,” Agent Choi seemed relief at that. “The third floor has this bridge that connects the study rooms directly. So you can cross over and visit each other whenever you want,” Chief Park informed.

“Right,” Agent Choi nodded. “The fourth floor has two bedrooms with conjoined bathrooms. And the stairs lead to the rooftop, where you guys can hang out.”

“There is surveillance in the roof as well, as it’s considered a common area,” Chief Park added.

“That’s basically it,” Agent Choi said. “There’s clothes and bathroom utilities for all of you. But we promise to take you guys shopping so you can choose your own clothes and stuff.”

“Ah,” Chief Park lifted his finger as he remembered something. “We’re going to be very apprehensive at first. Whenever any of you guys want to go out, you go out in a group of at least three people and escorted by a pair of field agents. Never alone,” he stressed. “It will be this way until we deem it safe enough to trust you guys to wander on your own. Understood?”

Everyone nodded, it did sound reasonable.

“Alright, I think that’s enough for tonight,” Chief Park clapped his hands together. “Tomorrow I’ll come back with some more information, but now I want you kids to rest. Alright?”

“Okay,” Junmyeon said.

“You guys can go choose your rooms and roommates. I’ll call you back down when dinner is ready,” Agent Choi said.

“Good, you guys do that,” Chief Park said. “I’ll see you tomorrow,” he bid.

“Go,” Agent Choi shooed them off and turned to enter the kitchen.

As soon as he let them leave, the halls and stairs became a chaos as everybody ran around searching for the best room. All the rooms were designed the same way, even the same color, but the rooms of the third floor were slightly bigger than the ones in the fourth floor. And Jongdae, being the fastest, was the first to claim a big room. And finally using the ‘I’m your hyung’ card, Minseok and Luhan decided to share the big room on the third floor of the left tower, while Yifan had to share with Jongdae in the right tower. Jongin and Kyungsoo claimed a room on the fourth floor of the right tower. Zitao was in the next room so Baekhyun decided to share with him, but Sehun went inside and asked for a change, since he didn’t want to be on the same tower as Lu Han.

So after supper, Baekhyun used the bridge of the third floor to make his way to his room on the left tower. Junmyeon and Yixing had the room on the right side, closest to the stairs. That meant Baekhyun had to walk through the hall to his shared room with Chanyeol.

“The spicy chicken was delicious,” Chanyeol said cheerfully as flopped onto his bed, limbs spread out messily.

“Hmm,” Baekhyun agreed from the bathroom, toothbrush in his mouth.

“You already want to go to sleep?” he heard him ask.

Baekhyun nodded, forgetting the other couldn’t see him. “I’m exhausted,” he said after rinsing.

Without turning off the lights, Baekhyun tucked himself in bed, wearing grey sweatpants and a plain white T-shirt.

“This bed is so comfortable,” he said and rubbed his face against the pillow. “I could sleep for days.”

“Me too,” Chanyeol chuckled as he made his way to use the bathroom.

Baekhyun’s eyes closed instantly and he could feel his body starting to shut down to slumber. He never had felt so comfortable and relaxed in a bed before, not like this. He was so in bliss with just lying there and resting, without having to worry about tomorrow.

“I can’t believe this is happening,” he said with a wide smile plastered on his face -eyes still shut and rested.

“I don’t want to stop believing it,” he heard Chanyeol gleefully say from the bathroom, voice slightly muffled with toothpaste foam. “This is going to be our lives from now. No more tests, no more trials and no more damn ing boggers.”

“No more ing boggers,” Baekhyun softly chuckled, rubbing his face against the fluffy pillow.

“What really amazes me though, is that this is all thanks to Mama,” he heard Chanyeol’s deep voice speak much more clearer.

“What?” Baekhyun cracked an eye open.

Chanyeol was standing in front of his bed, leaning his back against Baekhyun’s closet. He had changed into a tank top and baggy sweatpants.

“I mean,” Chanyeol pocketed his hands, “we wouldn’t be here without her help.”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun smiled softly, then leaned back into his pillow and closed his eye. “Chanyeol, we wouldn’t exist without her. Now go to sleep, I’m tired.”

“Goodnight,” he heard Chanyeol chuckle and the room went dark -darker than it was with his eyes closed.

Baekhyun immediately sat up and shined light from his hands.

“Don’t turn off the light,” he said to a dumbfounded Chanyeol who was still standing in the middle of the room.

“Wh-what?”

“Turn the light back on,” he demanded, “I hate the dark.”

Still looking at Baekhyun with a puzzled gaze, Chanyeol extended his long arm and switched on the light.

“Thank you,” Baekhyun said and laid back into his bed.

He heard Chanyeol get in his own bed.

“Did you make all the others sleep with the light on too?” Chanyeol said.

Baekhyun understood that others meant every other member of the group he had shared a room with, which made him realize he had never shared a room with Chanyeol before.

“Yeah,” he replied.

“Seriously?” he heard Chanyeol say.

Baekhyun huffed and turned to his right side to look at the other. Chanyeol was staring at him with a curious gaze.

“If it bothers you, just wait for me to fall asleep and then turn the light off,” he said. “That’s what the others did.”

“Man I wish I had T.K. like Lu Han,” the fire bender mumbled as he rested his head on his arm.

“I’m sorry I’m a ty roommate,” Baekhyun spoke with sarcasm, closing his eyes to rest. “But I can’t fall asleep without the light on.”

“You’re not ty,” he heard Chanyeol whisper, but he was too tired to confirm what he heard.

Man he was tired, he could feel each of his breaths sooth his body. Each hum brought him closer to sleep. Well, until Chanyeol decided to wake him up.

“What?” his voice was tired and slurred, barely opening his left eye to see Chanyeol kneeling in front of him.

A warm hand was still holding his shoulder, where he was previously shook to wake up. The lights are still on.

“Are you okay?” Chanyeol asked concerned.

Baekhyun rubbed his left eye to try to see him clearer. Chanyeol’s dark red hair was a little messy, as if he was rolling on his bed to try to sleep. The lights were definitely still on.

“I’m fine,” he replied, closing his eyes to try to sleep again.

“You sure?”

“Yeah,” he was getting annoyed form his lack of sleep.

“You made these weird noises, so I thought you might be feeling unwell,” Chanyeol explained as he finally retrieved his hand.

Baekhyun immediately felt the lack of warmth on his arm. “You’re warm,” he said instead.

Chanyeol chuckled and softly rubbed his hand along Baekhyun’s upper arm. Pleased by the warmth, Baekhyun let out a little hum as he smiled.

“That’s the sound,” Chanyeol said loudly.

“It’s just a hum,” Baekhyun explained.

“It sounds more like a small yelp,” Chanyeol commented. “Like a puppy whine. Ooh,” he chuckled and began patting Baekhyun’s arm. “You’re like a puppy.”

“Yah,” he smacked the warm hand away. “I’m trying to sleep. If you keep bugging me I’ll bite you,” he half threatened while letting out a growl.

Chanyeol laughed but made his way back to his own bed anyway. “You really are like a puppy.”

Baekhyun turned to the other side, growling to warn the other to shut up.

 

When he woke up, Chanyeol was already awake and changed into fresh clothes.

“Man your hair’s a mess,” Chanyeol laughed as he pointed at him.

Baekhyun tried to smoothen out his hair while yawning at the same time.

“Wow,” he said stretching his arms up. “I swear this has been the best sleep I’ve had,” Baekhyun commented as he sat up. “Maybe even better than that time in the oxy-chamber.”

“When you were given the elixir, how many oxygen chambers were there?” Chanyeol asked as he leaned his back against the closet door.

“Hmm,” Baekhyun pressed his lips together in thought. “Twelve.”

Chanyeol nodded. “That means we all had it done the same time,” he thought out. “Isn't it weird we didn't see each other then?”

Baekhyun let out a long sigh -it was too early to be using his brain.

“They probably brought me and Jongdae after all of you were already inside the chambers,” he replied as he got out of bed and walked towards the bathroom.

“That makes sense,” he heard Chanyeol say behind him. “And we all woke up at different times, so it must’ve been easy to separate the two of you again.”

Baekhyun didn't bother to close the door as he washed his face over the sink. So when he turned around he didn't expect Chanyeol to be leaning against the doorframe to keep talking to him.

“Yeah,” he agreed as he picked a dry towel from the rack. “Are you just going to stand there?”

“Oh,” the tall awkwardness turned back towards the room.

Once fresh out of the shower, Chanyeol was still sitting on his bed, waiting. Baekhyun quickly dressed -having expected to have the room for himself.

“Forgot your clothes?” Chanyeol teased.

“Shut up,” Baekhyun mumbled annoyed. “Stop staring, you creep,” he tried to sound menacing but his voice unexpectedly squeaked at the end, making them both laugh.

Once dressed he picked a towel to dry his hair. “Hey Chanyeol.”

“Yeah?”

“Did you sleep with the light on?”

“Actually I did,” Chanyeol nodded. “I was too tired to get up to shut it off, but I guess I was tired enough to fall asleep anyway.”

“Uh huh,” Baekhyun huffed. “What's wrong?” Baekhyun asked as he finished drying his hair with the towel.

“I, umm,” he scratched his head. “Why do you hate the dark?”

Baekhyun sighed stepped towards his closet. “Because it’s the opposite of light,” he replied as he found a white hooded sweater to use.

“I think they complement each other,” Chanyeol said, and for some reason Baekhyun felt uneasy at how serious the other was. “There’s no light without dark. Darkness lets us know of the presence of light,” his dark eyes seemed really focused on him.

Baekhyun frowned as he tried to make sense of the other’s words. “So what? You’re saying there’s no good without bad?”

“No,” Chanyeol stood up to get closer. “I’m saying that darkness is good too, Baekhyun. You don't have to be afraid of the dark.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened surprised. “I’m not afraid of the dark. I just hate it,” he defensively said.

“Baek-”

“I don’t,” he cut off. “Sleeping with the lights on is just a habit,” he excused. “I’ll grow up when I want to,” he covered with a joke and laughed it out, but it was awkward. “Let’s go get breakfast,” he hurriedly said and dragged the taller boy towards the stairs.

In the kitchen Kyungsoo was mixing things on a frying pan or wok, he wasn’t sure what the hell the black haired boy was doing but it looked like he was actually cooking. Sitting around the island table made of marble stone was Jongin, Minseok, Junmyeon, Jongdae and Yixing. There weren't any agents around.

Baekhyun took the empty seat between Jongin and Minseok, avoiding the free spot beside Yixing. While Chanyeol, who after setting two sets of bowls and chopsticks for them both sat next to Jongdae and Yixing.

“It’s done,” Kyungsoo informed as he set the whole pan over a centerpiece on the table. “Careful, it’s hot,” he sat beside Junmyeon.

“Thank you,” Junmyeon said gleefully as he served a portion.

“What is it?” Chanyeol asked as he served some for Yixing.

“Kimchi spaghetti,” Kyungsoo answered as he handed a serving to Jongdae.

“Looks good,” Baekhyun commented as he passed a serving to Jongin.

“Not yet,” Yixing warned Jongdae who was about to take a bit. “Minseok hyung is the oldest.”

“Indeed I am,” he said with a cheeky smile as he received his serving.

A loud rumble cut through the noise of the kitchen.

“Was that your stomach?” Junmyeon asked with wide eyes.

“I’m hungry,” Jongdae complained.

“When are you not?” Baekhyun mocked, earning a glare from the other.

“Okay, okay,” Minseok waved his hands to stop them from an immature quarrel. “Between us, let’s not do the wait for the eldest to eat. If you’re really hungry, just eat.”

“What about manners?” Yixing asked troubled.

“Manners can be overlooked among family,” Minseok declared.

“Cheers to that,” Baekhyun said and raised his cup of tea.

“Cheers!” they said gleefully and proceeded to eat.

“Wow Kyungsoo,” Chanyeol exasperated, “This is really good. Like really really good.”

“Yeah it is,” Junmyeon confirmed as well as the rest.

“Great,” Kyungsoo smiled. “I’m glad you liked it.”

“How did you know how to make this?” Junmyeon asked.

“I asked Agent Cha for some help,” he admitted.

“Can I have more?” Jongdae asked while lifting up his empty bowl.

“You’re unbelievable,” Minseok muttered sourly.

Baekhyun noticed that Jongin was sluggishly eating his food and looking rather tired.

“Are you okay?” Jongin silently nodded in response. “You look really exhausted. Did you even sleep a wink?.”

“Kyungsoo kept me up at night,” the younger answered.

“Wow, what?” Baekhyun said louder than intended. “Dude, I don’t want to know what you guys do in the bedroom.”

“What?” Minseok, Chanyeol and Jongdae exclaimed.

“Ugh,” Jongin covered his face with his hand. “Baekhyun I swear you can be so annoying.”

“It’s Baekhyun hyung,” Jongin frowned and slapped his shoulder. “Ouch! Was that necessary?”

“Yes,” Jongin deadpanned.

“So what were you guys up to late at night?” Baekhyun’s tone held a double intention.

“Oh for s…” Jongin’s voice was muffled by his hands rubbing his face. “I’m too tired for this,” he said defeated and rested his head against the table.

“Man, Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun exasperated. “What did you do to this poor kid?”

“Wha-” Kyungsoo began to choke on his food, Junmyeon quickly patted his back. “It’s not like that,” he said in between coughs.

“So what were you really doing?” Jongdae slyly asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

Kyungsoo looked terribly uncomfortable with his big round eyes and red face. Everyone’s attention was on him, even Chanyeol who looked rather pale and disturbed.

“We were just, just you know talking and stuff,” he stammered, avoiding their gaze.

“Oh that’s so bull,” Baekhyun called out.

“Let’s just drop it,” Chanyeol said lowly.

“I just wanted to get some dirt,” Baekhyun laughed.

“We weren’t doing anything weird,” Kyungsoo said defensively. “We were just, we-”

Baekhyun’s brows quirked confused as Kyungsoo’s eyes became impossibly wide and stared forward, away from the kitchen. Baekhyun turned to see Lu Han staring directly at Kyungsoo with eyes just as wide, but his gaze turned into rage.

“Lu Ha-”

Kyungsoo didn’t manage to say whatever he had to say, because in a mere second his body was pulled by a telekinetic grip and levitated out of the kitchen and in front of Lu Han. And before anyone could understand what the hell was happening, Lu Han punched Kyungsoo square in the jaw, sending the smaller boy to the floor.

Holding onto his face, Kyungsoo was levitated once more to stay in front of Lu Han, who was ready to strike a second time.

“Lu Han stop!” Junmyeon screamed.

Jongin teleported beside Kyungsoo, grabbed the other’s hand, and before he could teleport him away Lu Han pushed Jongin away with a psych wave. Jongin made himself intangible and phased through the kitchen, avoiding hitting himself against anything or anyone, ending up outside.

“Stop!” Minseok yelled.

Jongdae ran full speed and pushed Lu Han back before he could punch Kyungsoo a second time. Lu Han quickly got back up and pushed Jongdae away, setting a force field to keep them all out of his quarrel with Kyungsoo.

“You ing hypocrite,” Lu Han said angered as he punched Kyungsoo in the gut.

Jongin appeared behind Lu Han with a confused looking Sehun, still in pajamas and a raving mad bedhead. They were both pushed back by the force field the moment they were in the room. Sehun quickly shielded himself with pressurized air and broke into the forced field.

“What the hell is going on?” he asked as he grabbed Lu Han’s arms from behind and trapped him in a restrictive back hug.

But Lu Han ignored, trying to pry his arms free he yelled at Kyungsoo again.

“You lied!”

“I didn’t,” Kyungsoo barked back.

“You knew.”

“Shut up.”

“How could you have-”

“Shut up!” Kyungsoo yelled at the top of his lungs, scaring everyone -even Lu Han. “Don’t,” he said again before Lu Han managed to speak.

Baekhyun understood what Kyungsoo meant. Whatever it was Lu Han wanted to say, Kyungsoo didn’t want them to hear. So whatever they were fighting about was happening in their heads -through telepathy.

“Lu Han?” Sehun asked as he tried to lean in and see the other’s face.

But Lu Han didn’t give him a glance as his focus was solely on Kyungsoo. He had stop resisting Sehun’s hold and was just standing there, speaking with Kyungsoo through telepathy.

“Put me down,” Kyungsoo ordered.

Lu Han did as told. His glare slowly morphing into a mixture of anger and sadness.

“You lied,” Lu Han said with a strained voice.

“I didn’t. I told you,” Kyungsoo defended.

“But you could’ve…”

“I couldn’t,” Kyungsoo voice trembled as tears began to fall. “I promised. I couldn’t. I told you.”

Lu Han’s eyes began to water. “B-but..”

“I’m sorry,” Kyungsoo shook his head. “I’m sorry,” he began to cry.

Lu Han looked down but Baekhyun knew he was crying as well. And what he hated the most was not knowing why they were crying or why they had fought in the first place. He was so out of the picture that he felt so lost and useless at the moment, just hopelessly observing his friends’ downfall.

“Lu?” Sehun softly called the other.

This time Lu Han moved, he turned around and stared at Sehun through his tearful eyes.  

“I’m sorry,” he said in a broken voice that tugged Baekhyun’s heart strings in an uncomfortable way. “I’m so sorry.”

Sehun let go of him and was pulled into an unexpected hug. Lu Han wrapped his arms over the slender boy’s broad shoulders and hid his face by the crook of Sehun’s face. The force field broke and Jongin was the first to check on Kyungsoo, followed by Yixing, Minseok and Chanyeol.

“I’m sorry,” Lu Han said once more.

And Baekhyun understood by his tone that it wasn’t that he was asking for forgiveness because of the fight he caused, but because of the previous argument he had with Sehun. Everyone could tell by the way Sehun finally hugged the other back, that whatever differences they had between them didn’t matter at the moment. Whatever startled Lu Han, had startled him enough to admit his wrong doings to Sehun.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Sehun held him close. “It’s okay, Lu.”

“Hyung,” Baekhyun called Junmyeon who was closest to him. “What’s going on?”

“I don’t know,” Junmyeon said with a strained and breathy voice. He looked at him with worried eyes. “I really don’t know.”

 
 

 


A/N: 4

I’m not officially back, I’m still on hiatus because damn I’m busy. But I’ve managed to finish this chapter by writing bits and pieces whenever I found some time. So yeah, this will be the last series and the next update should be around mid January. I hope the wait won’t feel too long.

Before you ask, the reason Lu Han fights Kyungsoo is because Kyungsoo said he was hiding something Future Kai had told him and he promised he wouldn’t tell the group. But Lu Han found out and first was angry about whatever it was. You guys are smart, if you read back A Series of Strength you’ll probably figure out what the secret is with all the hints I’ve left.

Also, after Chief Special Agent Park comes Senior Special Agent Choi, so he’s a higher rank and orders the team when the Chief isn’t around. Agent Choi’s team consist of 12 men. Junior Special Agents Kim, Cha, Lim and Jang. Field Agents Kim, Park, Oh, Jeon, Moon, Kwon, Cho and Nam.

Thanks to emilydang04, LillaSvane, theslyfox, 10a1700, 90_XoXo, Scutesuga, JaeJaeKim, exoislyfe, Kimishi, Everydaymagic and mochigiri for subscribing!

And yeah, that’ll be all for now. I hope you guys are doing well and will have a great time during the festivities, whether you celebrate them or not, and whatever tradition you celebrate. See ya next year! Annyeong!

-Blackie.

PS: ty representation of the house:

5Yj-aXBNj2DVG1_SzNT10SeHeG3JjN86krf1BsinQwB_lS-0Uml2rSLMCpyEe85hy0PeFJ4-Ch3A3CMOrnXX1isiOD4ydU-Am2zEmZjtPzaYqi8JlqDo3tx9ZquDry6ZWvKy7cSY