Promises

Stay With Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Hyung, you’ll come back right?”

“Of course, I will, Henry ah. Promise me you’ll do well in school?”

“I will but hyung… You’ll call me right? You’re allowed to have a phone there right?”

“Of course, you know I will. Maybe when your term break starts, you can fly over and visit me sometime! I’ll show you around and we can have so much fun.”

“That sounds fun, hyung! Now I’ll have something to look forward to!”

“But promise me you’ll do well in school and behave yourself first okay? And stop getting into fights with Omma and Appa. Just ignore them, do what you always do. Whenever they start getting physical or when they start drinking, go to one of your friend’s house.”

“I will… But…Two years… How will I survive without you?”

“It’s just two years, Henry. I’ll be back in no time and I promise, we’ll get out of this hell house and get our own apartment. Two years, Henry.”

“Henry? Hey, come here. Why are you crying?”

“I’m not crying, hyung! I just-”

“Oh shut up. I’ll miss you too, Henry.”

***

“Ryeowook Hyung!? It’s been a month! Why didn’t you call me?”

“I’m sorry, kiddo! It took me some time to get settled into my dorm here. I’ve been wanting to call you the minute I arrived but there’s always something to do! But anyway, how are you? I miss you!”

“I miss you too, hyung!! I’m doing fine! I entered a talent show with Amber and we got through the auditions! What about you, hyung? How are you?”

“I’m great! The people here are not too friendly at first but I met a few Asians who are really nice. The classes are really fun and different from the one at home. I really like it here, Henry! I wish you’re here with me!”

“I wish I’m there too, hyung.”

“How are things at home? It sounds really quiet down there.”

“Well… I’m not at home. I’m at Amber’s place right now. Omma and Appa got themselves drunk and they got annoyed when they heard me playing the piano and …”

“They hit you, didn’t they?”

“Yeah. But I did what you said. I left the minute they got physical.”

“Good. Henry, I’m sorry I can’t be there for you.”

“That’s alright, hyung. Two years then we’re out of there, right?”

“Right. I promise, Henry.”

***

“Hyung, I ran away from home.”

“What?! Henry, what happened?”

“Appa got home drunk and admitted to Omma that he cheated on her again. They fought and when I tried to stop them, Appa hit me. I’m at the hospital now, hyung.”

“Omo! Henry, are you badly hurt?”

“Appa hit me with a few soju bottles on my head and I had to get some stiches.”

“Omo, is anyone with you right now?”

“Amber and her family are here. Hyung, I don’t think I’ll go back home.”

“Don’t. Henry, just don’t. I told you didn’t I to just ignore them whenever they’re fighting? Why didn’t you listen to me?”

“I was scared and I didn’t know what to do! I tried calling you but you wouldn’t answer the phone! I was… So… Scared, hyung.”

“Oh, Henry.”

“Hyung?”

“Yeah, honey?”

“I miss you.”

“I miss you too. You know if I was there, I’d lend you my shoulder for you to cry on, don’t you? I won’t let you get beat up by that monster, I won’t let him touch or go anywhere near you.”

“I… I know.”

“Henry? Are you still there? Please stop crying, baby.”

“I… I can’t. It hurts so badly. I wish you were here, hyung.”

“I wish I was there too, Henry.”

***

“Term break is in another week! I can’t wait to see you!”

“Right…. About that… Henry ah, mianhe, but I don’t think I’ll be able to pay for your flight ticket here.”

“Wh.. What? But hyung, why? You promised!”

“I know I did but it’s just… My money’s pretty tight right now. I’m working part-time at Starbucks but I don’t think I can collect enough for your plane tickets by next week. I’m sorry, Henry.”

“I… It’s okay. I don’t have much with me anyway too. I just thought it’d be fun to see you again. I miss you.”

“I miss you too, Henry. I’ll work harder from now, alright?”

“Okay. How have you been, hyung? You haven’t called me in weeks! Are you done with your assignments?”

“I’m done with some but it never ends! I’m forever just so busy and tired nowadays. And when I’m not busy losing my mind over assignments, I’m busy cleaning the dorm because it’s never clean especially when my roommate is like a pig!”

“But it must be fun though, isn’t it hyung?”

“Yes, it is. I just wish you were here

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter