An Unexpected Death

Wrong Place, Right Time

~3rd person POV~

Chanyeol smiles at Kassy’s sleeping form. The very first time he saw her sitting in the café was actually like a week before the incident happened. He was in disguise then, hiding for fans. He had stumble upon the place by accident. After being spotted by fans, he ran. He found the café and quickly ran inside, startling the people inside. Kassy had walked in a few minutes after he had decided to order and had sat down. When he heard the chimes on the door ring as it opened, he had looked up afraid it would be the fans, but what, rather who, he saw instead took his breath away. A girl with straight, dyed red hair, cut to mid shoulder length, wearing skinny jeans and a lose zip-up hoodie was walking to a booth near his. He noted her bag that had books and a laptop sticking out of the top. He figured she must be a college student.

“Hey Kass hun!~” The lady behind the counter said, once she realized the girl was there. “Want your usual?”

“Yes please Mrs. Kim.” The girl said. Even her voice was gorgeous. The girl was oblivious to him then. He jumps when his phone starts buzzing like crazy.

“Hello?” He tried to say quietly, but with a deep voice in a quiet place, your voice is gonna come out loud.

“Chanyeol where are you? Are you okay?” A worried D.O asked.

“Yeah I’m good. I found this cool café that I want you, Jong…and a few others to come check out with me though.” He says, hoping that the next time he comes the girl will be there. He didn’t expect a crazy fan to follow them and try and kill him though. If he hadn’t of come back to that shop just to see if she was there, she wouldn’t be in that stupid hospital bed in pain.

“Chanyeol, earth to Chanyeol~” Kai says snapping his fingers in front of Chanyeol’s face.

“Huh? Oh sorry…” Chanyeol says, still a bit out of it.

“Are you okay dude? You blanked out for about 10 minutes.” Kai says.

“Yeah…I was just lost in thought…” Chanyeol says as he looks down at Kassy’s sleeping form again. He gently her hair and smiles at her. Why does he feel so attached to her? Why does he feel like this when he barely even knows her?

“Chanyeol, what’s up with you?” Kai asks. “Is something wrong?”

Chanyeol sighs and looks at Kai with unreadable eyes. “I just…I don’t know…there’s this strong pull at my soul that I need to keep her safe…I don’t know how to explain it…I just have to be by her side…” He says quietly. Kai nods slightly and thinks for a second.

“Chanyeol…Would you think I was crazy if I suggested that you could be in love with her? …That’s a lot how I felt when it came to D.O…” Kai says, blushing a bit at the confession.

“I was starting to think that myself…and if you’re suggesting it, I guess it’s true…I just don’t understand why though…” Chanyeol sighs.

“Maybe you’re infatuated with her because she saved your life?” D.O suggests.

“I would say that could be it, but I actually saw her a week before the incident, at that little café…She’s the reason I wanted to go back to that café…I felt this way from the very first moment my eyes landed on her.” Chanyeol mumbles.

“That just sounds so cliché.” Chen chuckles.

“I know it does…but it’s true…” Chanyeol sighs. Kai places his hand on his shoulder.

“Why not tell her?”  Kai suggests.

“I want to…but what if she just thinks I’m a creep.” Chanyeol asks.

“Yeollie, if she thinks you’re a creep, then I’ll become to ruler of Canada.” Kris says.

“Yeah dude. How can you notice how close to the color of a tomato she gets, every time you get near her?” D.O asks.

“Wait? Really?” Chanyeol asks.

“Yes!” Kai exclaims. “She blushes so much every time you kiss her forehead, and you how did you miss it when you were holding her hand that one day?”

Chanyeol shrugs and sighs. He really likes Kassy, and he considers telling her, but he doesn’t want to quite yet.

“I think I might spend some time getting to know her a little better.” Chanyeol says. “When she’s released from the hospital I’ll see what I can do then…”

“Ugh, you’re hopeless.” Suho chuckles.

“Hey guys…Can I ask you something?” Lay asks.

“What’s up Yixing?” Suho asks.

“Does anyone else feel like, she was meant to be in our lives? Like if it hadn’t been her saving Chanyeol’s life at the café that life would’ve figured out some other way for her to enter our lives?” Lay asks hesitantly.

“I kind of see what you’re saying.” Xiumin says. “Something feels special about her, and I think you’re right, I think she was meant to be in our lives as weird as that sounds, but she is Kai’s sister and Chanyeol says it was like love at first sight. So she is something special to this band, that’s for sure.”

Everyone looks at Kassy, trying to figure out her importance in their lives. Kassy’s stepdad comes back in followed by Kai’s parents.

“So…may I ask who all of guys are? And why you are gathered around my daughter’s bed? …” Her stepdad asks.

“Um. We are the band EXO and I’m the leader. My name is Suho, or you can call my Junmyeon. And we are all here for a couple of reasons. Main one being, she saved one of our members. She saved Chanyeol, who is the one sitting next to your step-daughter.” Suho says, pointing at Chanyeol who has gone back to staring off into space with a glint of love behind his eyes, absentmindedly Kassy’s hair.

“We are also here because of me.” Kai says, standing up. “I’m Kai, or you can call me Jongin. And I’m Kassy’s brother…”

“You’re Jongin?” Kassy’s stepdad asks, looking at Kai’s parents for confirmation. When they nod and Kai answers “Yes”, he steps forward with hand extended. Kai steps forward and takes his hand shaking it and looks into her step-dads eyes.

“Please protect her…it’ll be nice for her to have a sibling…she was an only child, because her real adoptive dad and her mom never adopted another child and they couldn’t have kids of their own. You don’t remember them Jongin, because you were just a kid, but her adoptive parents knew you since you were a baby, and they hoped one day that you two would find each other. Not like this, but they wanted you two to meet.” Her step-dad pauses. “That’s why when I was offered a promotion here, we accepted in a heartbeat. She’s only really ever had two friends, so the rest of you guys, please be good to her, you all see like nice boys and I can already tell you see something special in her, we all do. And you…”

Her step-dad points at Chanyeol who looks up at him with wide eyes, scared he is about to get cussed out for touching his stepdaughter.

“Yes sir?” Chanyeol asks politely.

“I can see you love her…She deserves that…She’s been through a lot…please love her and take care of her.” Her step-dad says.

“Of course sir.” Chanyeol says, with a genuine smile and a light blush on his face.

“I must go now…When she wakes up, will you tell her that her mom and I love her very much and that we will visit her together soon?” Her step-dad asks. Everyone nods and smiles to him as he leaves.

“Why did it seem as if he and her mother aren’t coming back? …” One of the boys asks.

“Because they aren’t…” Kai’s mother says, hand covering a bit as she holds in her tears.

“Her mother died this morning in a car wreck on her way to work…Even though he is legal her father, and is the one she should go to if she needs something, he told us he was willing to give it to us if we wanted. She’s 19, so there’s not much we can do, but we’ll have legal rights and be able to call her our daughter again soon.” Kai’s dad says. Everyone stops and stares.

“Then why did he tell us to tell her that? …” Xiumin asks.

“He doesn’t want to face the truth…” Kai whispers. After that the room is silent, with Chanyeol holding Kassy closer to himself with Kai sitting in the chair on the side of the bed. Everyone else stares off into space trying to find a way to tell Kassy that the woman she knows as her mother, died the same way as the person she knew as her father.


Please subscribe! Comments and upvotes are very much appreciated!~ Thank you so much for reading, and I hope you enjoyed. You can check out some of my other stories too!~
~Katiebooh98