Birth Parents and Surgery

Wrong Place, Right Time

You wake up to a hand gently caressing your face and a gentle voice whispering in your ear.

“Kassy~ its time to wake up.” The voice says. You open your eyes and see Chanyeol smiling at you. You blink for a second and yawn.

“What time is it?” You mumble.

“Its 7:30 a.m. We thought we would come an hour or two before your surgery so that you know that we are here.” He says.

“We? …If it’s more than just you, than why you the only one in the room?” You mumble sleepily looking around the room. D.O and Kai are out in the waiting room, with Kai’s parents…erm…Your birth parents. Suho and Kris went out to get something for you, and Chen and Xiumin are taking a nap in the waiting room. It’s still early, so it was hard to even drag the out of the dorm, but they came. The rest of EXO will probably be here right before your surgery to wish you good luck, or they’ll definitely be here after your surgery to make sure you are doing okay. I volunteered to come wake you up. Your birth parents are nervous about meeting you. They think you are going to hate them for giving you up for adoption, so they want me to tell you that they wanted to keep you, but they couldn’t afford it.” Chanyeol says. You smile and nod a bit.

“Can you go get them? Tell them that I don’t and won’t hate them.” You say. Chanyeol nods.

“Do you want us to be in here with you or do you want me to just send in your birth parents?” He asks.

“Can you be in here with us at first?” You says. You start feeling a bit nervous about meeting them.

“Yeah no problem.” He smiles at you and pats your hand. He stands up and walks to the door. “I’ll be right back Kass.” You blush a bit at the nickname. All of your friends call you Kass, but with him it was different somehow. He walks out the door leaving it cracked a bit. You push yourself into an upright position with a bit of difficulty and pain. Once you are sitting up you take a few deep breaths to ease your nerves and close your eyes. You open them when you hear a small knock on your door.

“Kass…” You hear Kai’s voice. “Are you ready to meet our parents?” He asks.

You take one last deep breath and say, “Yes.” Kai opens the door wider, and an older couple walks in followed by Chanyeol and D.O. You smile slightly at the older couple and they hesitantly smile back.

“Um, Kassy, these are our parents…Um, mom, dad, this is Kassy…your daughter.” Kai says.

The couple walks to the side of your bed hesitantly and smile slightly. You can see the tears in their eyes as they look at you closely.

“You’re beautiful…” Your birth mother says. She gently reaches out and touches your cheek. You can feel the tears in your own eyes.

“We are so sorry we put you up for adoption, Kassy…” Your birth father says. “We wanted to keep you so bad…but it was hard enough to take care of Jongin, and his two older sisters. We loved you, it was so hard to give you up, but we knew the family that we let adopt you. They were moving to America, so we didn’t think you would ever find out…Then when Kai called us the other night saying he found out about you, we didn’t know what to think. He was upset and mad at first, but then he was happy, and we were scared about this, thinking you wouldn’t forgive us, and we hope you do…I’m sorry I’m babbling now…My point is, we love you. We always have and we always will. We hope you will let us be part of your lives, and don’t hate your adoptive parents for not telling you.” He says. All three of you were crying now. None of you cared. Kai, D.O and Chanyeol gave you your space, even going as far as to leave the room. By the time you three stop crying and talking, getting to know each other, the rest of EXO had shown up, and an hour and a half had passed. Your doctor comes in and smiles happy to hear all the laughing and joking around.

“Hey Kassy, how are you doing? By the way, your step-dad stopped by after you fell asleep. He told me to tell you, he’ll be back today, after he gets off work and he says that he’s sorry that he didn’t make it in time to talk to you last night.” He says.

“Pretty good. And thank you for letting me know.” You say happily.

“Well that’s good! And no problem. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s time to start getting ready for your surgery.” He says guiltily. You feel your nerves start up again and sigh.

“Okay…” You say. Everyone in the room leaves while they get you set up to take you. The nurses allow everyone to come back in to say they are praying for you and give you good wishes. Your birth parents both kiss your forehead and give you an awkward hug so they don’t hurt you or pull out your IV. Kai does the same thing and smiles reassuringly.

“You’ll be fine little sis. We’ll all be here when you wake up okay?” He says. You nod and smile at him. Finally Chanyeol comes over to you and hugs you.

“I still feel guilty that you’re in here because of me, but I know you’ll be okay.” He says.

“It’s not your fault Chanyeol. I’m the one who jumped in front of the bullets.” You chuckle. He smiles at you, and you can tell he still he still feels guilty. He kisses your forehead like he did the night before, with his lips lingering there a few beats longer than expected. You feel your stomach get filled with butterflies, and you feel something in your heart flutter again. The nurses everyone out and help you into a laying position. One of the nurses injects something into you IV, while another puts an air mask on your face. The start to roll your bed out of the room to the OR. You don’t remember much after that. The next thing you remember is waking up with 15 or so pairs of eyes on you. All 12 of the EXO boys are there, and no are your birth parents. Your step-dad is too. There aren’t any nurses or doctors in the room.

“She’s awake!!” Chen announces as if no one else could see that for themselves.

“We can see that, Chen.” Suho says chuckling. Your step-dad looks at the boys as if still not quite sure who they are, and why they are standing around his step-daughters bed. He looks at you and smiles.

“Hey sweetheart. How are you feeling?” He asks quietly.

“Tired…In pain.” You mumble still trying to get your brain to function properly.

“I’ll go get a nurse or doctor.” Chanyeol says smiling at you slightly. Your stepdad pets your hair slightly and smiles at you. He had obviously met your birth parents, and was scared you hated him and your mom. You smile back at him the best you can before closing your eyes, still feeling exhausted. After a few seconds Chanyeol comes back with the doctor.

“So you’re awake again.” Your doctor says. “How are you feeling?”

“Exhausted…achy…” You say still incapable of forming sentences.

“That’s to be expected.” He walks over to your bed and starts to check your vitals. “You’re vitals are okay. Do you want me to sit up your bed at all?”

You nod your head slightly still trying to keep yourself awake. The doctor sits you up a bit and then moves away.

“Mr. Caisse, Mr. and Mrs. Kim. Will you please come outside of the room with me so we can talk?” Your doctor asks. Your step-dad and birth parents nod and follow him out of the room. Chanyeol walks over to your good side and sits next to you on the edge of the bed. You yawn and lean your head on your shoulder.

“Kass, if you’re tired, take a nap.” Kai says from somewhere in the room.

“Allowed to?” You ask, failing at forming a coherent sentence, but someone understood what you meant, because you hear someone say “Yes Kass. Go ahead. Take a nap.”

You nod and cuddle closer to Chanyeol and fall asleep, smiling. The last thought going through your head is how comfortable Chanyeol’s shoulder is.


Please subscribe. Comments and upvotes are appreciated. Thank you for reading.

~Katiebooh98