A Café and a Hospital

Wrong Place, Right Time

You are sitting at your favorite café studying for the upcoming finals. You sigh as you turn a page and try to soak up the words on the page. You can’t focus on your work and you don’t know why. After awhile, you give up and close your book. You look up just as the doors to the café open.

“Are you guys sure this is safe? What if this place is filled with fans?” A familiar voice says.

“Call down D.O hyung. Everything will be fine. This place is basically in the middle of nowhere, and not a lot of people know about it.” Another voice says.

As the people come into view, you see Taemin, Minho, Kai, D.O, and Chanyeol come into view.

“See hyung? Empty!” Taemin exclaims.

“Well besides that girl in the booth right there. Her interest has seemed to be peeked, but that’s 1 person D.O.” Chanyeol says. You blush as you realize Chanyeol had been referring to you, and suddenly 5 pairs of eyes are looking your direction. You quickly look away realizing you had been caught starring and blush. You hear their chuckles and sigh, sinking further in your seat.

“I don’t think she’ll harm anyone either hyung.” Kai chuckles. You hear them walk a few steps and then hear the sound of the service bell being rung as they wait for someone to assist them. Your booth is near the counter, so you can hear some of their conversation, but can’t quite make out what they are saying. You think it’s safe to look, so you glance back in their direction. They have seemingly forgotten about you already as they all joke and push each other around.

Your attention is drawn back to the door as someone new walks in. They are dressed in rather heavy clothing, considering its spring, and about noon. They sun is high in the sky and its pretty warm outside. You are about to turn your attention back to the boys when you see the person pull a gun out of their pocket. You freeze as fear runs through your veins like ice. You watch as the person aims the gun at Chanyeol.  They all have their backs turned, so none of them have any idea what’s going on. Before you can process what’s going on, you’re standing up and running over to Chanyeol and pushing him out of the way just in time to hear the gun fire 3 times. You fall to your knees in shock, unaware of what’s going on around you for a few seconds. After the initial shock, everything starts working again. You hear the chimes on the café door jingle as it slams shut. You hear Taemin shout “Oh my God!” You gather the courage to look at your stomach and shoulder which had been hit. You had taken one bullet to the stomach and two to the shoulder.  You can’t feel it yet, but you can see the blood soaking your favorite baby blue shirt. Hands appear on your stomach and shoulder holding dish towels in place. Your eyes follow both pair of arms to see Kai and Minho starring at you in horror. You glance over at Chanyeol who is sprawled out on the floor a bit, also starring at you in horror. You search the room for D.O and find him passed out with Taemin holding his head in his lap, looking at you like he was about to cry.

“Hey…Can you hear me? It’ll be okay, you’ll be alright, okay? You’ll be okay…” You can hear Kai, or at least you think its Kai, speaking next to your ear.

You look over at Chanyeol again who is in a more upright position, and you can see the fear and worry in his eyes. You smile weakly at him before the pain finally sets in. You gasp and then everything goes blank.

A few hours later you wake up in a hospital bed. Everything smells sterile and there are tubes sticking out of you every which way. You look around and see your mom sitting next to your bed.

“Oh my God, Kassy, you’re awake!” She exclaims.

“Wh…What happened? …” You ask not remembering the events of the café yet.

“I…I honestly don’t know…I’m going to go get a doctor, okay? Just lay still. Don’t try to sit up, you could open up your injuries again.” She says as she stands up.

“Okay.” You mumble.

She leaves the room and returns a few minutes later with a doctor.

“Ah, so you’re awake. You gave us quite the scare…” The doctor says.

“Oh…Can you tell me what happened?” You ask, whimpering a bit in pain. The doctor notices and injects something into your IV that you assume is a pain killer.

“Sorry, but I have no idea. There are 5 boys here that do know though, and they would like to come see you once I make sure your vitals are okay.” The doctor says, and that’s when you remember what happens. Chanyeol was going to get shot, but you pushed him out of the way, and you got shot instead.

The doctor checks your vitals and asks some questions about how you’re feeling and after writing some things down he sighs and looks at you.

“You’re all good. If you need anything, just press that button right there, and someone will be here to take care of you as quickly as humanly possible.” He says while pointing at a red button on the remote hanging from your bed.

“Okay…” You say.

“Mrs. Caisse, if you’ll follow me, I’d like to speak with you for a bit, and Kassy, I’ll send those 5 boys right in okay?” The doctor says. You nod and smile at your mom and she hesitantly leaves.

You glance around your room and sigh at the empty whiteness. You look at your bed stand and smile sadly at the picture of you, your mom, and your dad, who had died a few months ago in a car crash. You look at your shoulder and stomach.  Your shoulder is wrapped in gauze and your arm is pinned to your side to prevent movement of your shoulder. Your stomach was just wrapped up tight in gauze. You sigh as you start thinking about how worried your mom must’ve been, but your thoughts are interrupted as a small knock sounds on your door as it opens up farther. Taemin, Minho, Kai, D.O, and Chanyeol walk in and you can tell they are trying to keep their distance.

“Umm…Hi…” D.O says shyly, not knowing what to say to a girl who took a bullet for his friend. “How are you? …”

“I’m okay…I think…I can’t feel anything right now. They gave me pain medicine…” You say shyly, not making eye contact.

There’s a long uncomfortable pause filled with nothing but silence. Finally, a sound is made. Chanyeol clears his throat and looks away from the spot he had been staring at.

“Um…Listen…I’d…um…like to thank you for…um…you know…saving my life…” He says shyly, obviously shaken up from the event. “I mean…” He sighs. “If it weren’t for you, I could be dead right now…That thought is so scary…What you did was so brave and I…”

He pauses and takes a shaky breath, trying really hard not to cry. “And I wish there was some way I could repay you…Seeing you lying there like that…I feel bad, because I know that if we hadn’t of gone to that café than you’d be fine…you could be at home with your family or something, but instead you’re stuck here, because we showed up…”  He starts shaking, obviously crying now.

“I keep asking myself why someone would do that for someone they don’t even know…and I haven’t come up with any reasonable explanation yet…but thank you…Thank you so much for saving me…Thank you so much for risking your life for someone you don’t even know…”

Chanyeol finally stops talking, openly crying into his hands now. It breaks your heart to see that.

“You are my bias from EXO…” You say shyly. “I love both of your bands, SHINee and EXO…I was so surprised when you guys walked into the café…and when I saw the girl walk in and pull out a gun, I immediately froze with fear…but when she pointed at you guys, and specifically at Chanyeol, I knew I couldn’t just sit by while you were killed right before my eyes. I reacted the best I could…and I’m sorry I shoved you Chanyeol…”

They all chuckle at your apology.

“Look at you…” Chanyeol says. “Laying in a hospital bed with 3 gunshot wounds you got from protecting me, and you’re apologizing for shoving me out of the way?” He asks incredulously.

You all chuckle slightly.

“So hero…” Minho starts. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Kassy…” You say shyly.