System No.27: Down (Chapter 8)

System No.27: Down

“So, mind telling me what we’re doing here? I’m in a formal dress and you’re in a suit and we’re by the river. This doesn’t look right, Seung-hyun.” I sighed while trying my best to walk comfortably or at least look like I’m fine in these killer heels.

 

I heard Seung-hyun click his tongue and I looked away in annoyance due to his uncalled rudeness. I painstakingly dressed up to look pretty so he will look good and he is acting all uninterested at my current anger with my painful feet. I didn’t want to wear such high heels but it suited so damn well with my dress that I thought that it might as well have been a sin if I didn’t put them on, on my way out. While still engrossed in my personal rant about Seung-hyun ungratefulness, I saw him bend down from the corner of my eye. He took off his shoes and proceeded to take mine off as well. I didn’t want to obviously since I don’t think it’s right to be barefoot in public while I am wearing such a gorgeous dress but he passed me a look so I let him. It felt really good to be out of those heels. He slipped his shoes into my feet and took his socks off his own. Now, I am wearing his shoes while he walks bare foot touching the cold ground. Despite the shoes being extremely large for me, it was strangely comfortable. He picked my shoes off the sidewalk and walked ahead of me. With socks on one hand and a pair of heels on another, Seung-hyun walked towards a nearby bench.

 

“Thanks, I feel so much better,” I honestly thanked him after sitting by his side, admiring the gleaming silver water of the lone river. He just nodded.

 

“Why are we here?” I asked him, without looking at him, still very much intrigued by the beauty of the night.

 

“Just because,” he whispered, his eyes closed, his face serene. I had never seen anyone’s face so free and calm. He looks wonderfully exquisite.

 

“I know you’re not human, Aurora,” he suddenly announced and I straightened my posture. It’s close to impossible that he knows considering my cautious way around him and also the fact that I have a better understanding of what that is actually going on.

 

“I am, unlike you,” I fought, getting a little angry. I thought my acting was better than anything at all.

 

“Unlike me? Tell me, Aurora, since you make people like me, what am I?” He asked looking straight into me, asking a question I can obviously answer but cannot quite say it.

 

It was the first time I ever looked into his eyes; I mean I really looked into them and I felt a surge of emotions just flow through me. I felt so many things – feelings I should not be feeling seeing how I am a toy produced by the power of an intelligent mind. I do not have feelings this great… I cannot feel this sort of longing for something I don't know. This is not right. But why is it there is such a sorrowful pain in my chest while I look at this man whose eyes are as gloomy as they are beautiful?

 

Instead of giving him an answer, I stood up refusing to tell him what he is to me. Because all I would do is to remind myself that I am the work of a man whom I proudly call as my father; my maker.

 

I cannot feel that way… I am genetically modified to only feel certain things; definitely not this. I am not feeling anything; I kept telling myself. Yet while I repeated the words over and over again, the feelings only seem to grow stronger. I am supposed to find out why Seung-hyun is acting strange.

 

But why am I the one acting strangely now?