System No.27: Down (Chapter 5)

System No.27: Down

He is absolutely above the legal age and all of the modified beings were made perfect in everyway; simple things like driving, cycling, and swimming had all been made innate without the need for them to learn it. There is no reason for any of the beings to be unable to drive any vehicle at all - they were made superior after all. That is unless he choses not to.

 

“Sure, then I guess, we could take my car,” I suggested to which he nods again. Well, then I guess he is not much of the talker. Although this will make it a little harder for me, I’ll just have to deal with it.

 

He sat himself in the seat next to mine and I drove off into the street. It was getting late and the bar, which I liked, was quite a distance away. Having Seung-hyun not speaking to me was not making this ride any easier for either us. I don’t enjoy talking as much but seeing how he is absolutely not putting any interest in me at all, I suppose I should probably say something or we would never start at all.

 

“So, why don’t you drive?” I asked him as casually as I could, trying to not look like I was prying too much into his privacy - I’d rather not have him think of me rather nosey since I will have to spend a lot of time with him.

 

“Who’s to know?” he softly replied, eyes still looking out at the lighted pavements.

 

I looked at him from the mirror and I noticed him not even feigning interest at all. Instead, the whole ride, he stared out the window like it was so interesting. I tried to read him but instead I got nothing of it. In his eyes, there would be absolute solidarity, almost detached element but how shocked was I when I realized it was longing resting in his orbs, looking out at people freely roaming the streets. The longer I stared at him the more I felt what he was feeling and it was not something I’d like to feel. It was not something I was supposed to feel. Instead, I turned away and kept my sights on the road.

 

I tried, my hardest to be good enough for him so that he would actually talk to me on his own accord, but he didn’t – not even once. We went out a lot. Not because either of us wanted to but because Mr. Yang really wanted to know what’s wrong and bugged me to find out more than I already did. For the first few times when I met Seung-hyun it was interesting since he was acting really differently than the usually beings but in time it scared me. Maybe that was why, I dreaded having to go out with him.

 

He talked sometimes but when he did, it was things that I never thought about; he asked me what the clouds would feel like at the tip of our fingers, he asked if beings like him would drown if he did not get out of his tub when he stays in the water. It was things out of the world, none of which I had no answers for. With him, I never got any answers. Instead, I had questions and they piled up higher and higher for everytime I spent with him.

 

Now, it’s more like I’m a spy, working on ways to find out about Seung-hyun rather than a genetics engineer. Albeit its interesting nature, it is different what I am doing with Seung-hyun. Normally, I would just do things regarding fetuses and data. Now, I am actually working closely with a being my father perfected to discover his flaws in ways I’ve never done in the lab.