System No.27: Down (Chapter 7)

System No.27: Down

“Aeron?”

 

Not many people call me that; only the ones who are close to me do. And considering the workaholic I am, I very rarely communicate to people other than my father. People close to me are those around my age, made around the time I was made as well. I guessed in my mind whom it might be and I was taken aback at whom it really was.

 

“Joongie!” I almost yelled. It’s been a long time since I last met up with Jae.

 

This person here, he’s the one my father made to celebrate me. His name is Kim Jaejoong. My father told me once that he was so glad that I came out to be so healthy and beautiful hence he decided to make a partner for me equally healthy and good-looking. That partner is Jaejoong. Partner in this sense is someone who is close to me and my father made Jae to have this innate instinct to care and cherish me, as I do for him.

 

I came forward and engulfed him in a tight hug, pecking his cheeks while doing so. He chuckled and my cheek. I missed him so much but I only realized just how much I do after having him hold me in his arms like this.

 

“You know her, Jaejoong?” Seung-hyun asked. This is exactly when I almost lost my cool. See, Seung-hyun cannot know that I am also not human because if he does, let’s just not go into what might happen. Jaejoong cannot lie and say that he made friends with me and became this close to me because everyone knows that being genetically modified, we’re made to perform; not to make friends and fiends.

 

“Her father made me, so of course I know who she is,” Jaejoong casually said. At least he didn’t say anything about being made after I was or anything close to that.

 

Seung-hyun was still confused scrutinizing us both who were busy catching up and whatnot until finally Jae had to go due to his busy working schedule. I pitied Jae, I know he’s tired. We’re made perfect and all but put aside all that, we’re human too – we need ample rest and food. Jaejoong just looks so tired to a point where he just might pass out and end all these. I don’t want that to happen to him. Anyone else but him, he means too much to me.

 

“How come you’re close to him? Your father made me but I never knew you,” Seung-hyun asked when we were alone. I tried avoiding that question a few times but he kept asking. I had no choice but to say something. I wasn’t made to lie but I did. And I knew it myself that I didn’t lie very well.

 

I was called a few times throughout the event by people I knew – some of whom I helped made and some other who just knew me because of my father. I was just thankful no one talked about my being yet. The party was good. The food and entertainment was fine and the people were nice as well. It came to an end soon enough and the same limo picked both of us up.

 

“To the Han River,” I heard Seung-hyun say. I looked at him confused because I’m supposed to be heading home. He just shrugged and looked out the window.