System No.27: Down (Chapter 13)

System No.27: Down

"Seung-hyun," I had unconsciously called out his name in shock at his presence in the usually empty house, "What are you doing here?"

"He told me you did not call him as you promised and he thought something bad had happened," my father answered for him who was sitting silently, eyes fixed on something I could not be sure of. In the matter of seconds, my father got up, motioned towards the man and he made his way out of the living area. I guess he was asking me to check up on Seung-hyun - despite the fact that I am the one who needs to be checked.

 

I did not want anyone else to overhear us talk so I insisted on going out to the backyard and Seung-hyun did not retaliate. Instead, he just willingly got up to follow me out. We sat ourselves in the garden where I had grown many hybrids of plants that I had made myself. I noticed him looking through the many blooming cluster of floras and I asked if he would like me to make him a bouquet jokingly. As I expected, he did not laugh but on the contrary, he did have a small smile.

 

"You did not call, Aurora," he started in the midst of the silence, "I waited all night."

 

I sat where I was, still unsure of how to respond to him. I kept looking at him thinking of excuses or lies I could possibly tell him. Thing is as I looked at him, this man before me is so starkly different from the one I knew at the start of this entire ordeal. When I first met him, he was cold and cut off but now, it is finally looking to me like he is reaching out to me. I wanted to turn him away, tell my father there is nothing I could do for this man, he is broken beyond repair. Instead, my hand reached out to touch his and his skin felt warm under my touch.

 

"What are you doing to me, Seung-hyun?" I asked, voice as soft as a whisper can go, afraid at what I has now become.

"I know we are meant for something greater than this, Aurora," he insisted, his eyes sharp and determined, "I know it."

 

I had then told him to wait in the garden while I put on something else. I got ready and told him to bring me anywhere else. I did not want to be at home. The strangeness that sat in my chest whenever Seung-hyun is around had now turned into comfort and I did not want to hide behind it no longer. Seung-hyun nodded curtly as if he knew what to do next, it was as if he knew I will fall through and give in to I feelings that were now b over my inner self.

 

"Where is this?" I asked him as we stood side-by-side in front of a house.

"My home." he answered, hand holding mine, pulling me into his world.

 

I had tried hard to resist him and to stay as I was but the curiousity was killing me and I could not possibly ignore the changes I am facing; the newness that was proving to be even more real everytime I avoided it. I did not know what was happening to me but I had to put it into words for someone else to understand it even at the least: I think I am becoming too human.