System No.27: Down (Chapter 1)

System No.27: Down

“What did he ask for, dear?” my father calmly asked as he sat himself on the luxurious couch in our living area.

 

“He said he was coming over and that it was urgent. I didn’t manage to ask for the reason then he hung up,” I answered him as I fetched him a cup of warm drink. My father nodded knowingly and ushered me to sit by his side as he asked me about my work for the day.

 

Although, I had been genetically modified, I am human still. The difference between me and all other normal people is that my intelligence succeeds even the best brains and I was blessed with beauty incomparable to all. Basic necessity such as food and sleep stills need to be fulfilled. Whatever it is, like I said, I am human; just not entirely naturally made. My father had just began telling me of his latest discovery when our doorbell rang and at the door was our guest. I politely invited him in, as so did my father. Mr. Yang sat himself on the seat that was empty and without much procrastination, he voiced out the reason as to why he is visiting out home today.

 

“God Sir, I had been a buyer of your products for years and never once was I ever dissatisfied. But today, I found that one of your creations had disobeyed me saying that I am not giving attention to his feelings when I make decisions. I don’t think that should happen, should it, Mr. Sinclair?” He asked my father. In his voice, there was no anger neither did it seem like he felt cheated; instead he looked like he was afraid. Of what, I was yet to know.

 

My father gave me a look, which I knew rather well. He was asking me if I knew anything of this sort but all I did was shook my head. Indeed, I never knew of any one of my father’s creations to ever have developed any feelings towards or for anything at all. Their instinct was to obey their master unquestioningly.

 

“Well, sir, they could feel basic emotions namely happiness and sorrow however above all that, their main instinct was to serve unconditionally. It’s close to impossible for them to go against that main instinct.” I answered for my father to which he agreed. Mr. Yang only looked at me questionably as though he did not believe my answer and that he needed prove from my father himself.

 

“What my daughter said to you is true; while they do feel, no feeling could make them go against their own servility. Which of my invention had not given much of good use to you, Mr. Yang?” My father asked curiously to which Mr. Yang cleared his throat and looked up at us both.

 

“He had given me much wealth and great luck for years. It was only until recently that he had started to act rather strangely. When I asked him why, he said he was angry at me for not giving him enough while I had, in fact, given him more,” he started and I was puzzled. How is it that at the start, the subject had not given him problems but only after so long, it did?

 

“You have yet to answer my question, Sir. Which of my invention?” my father asked him again to which he answered under his breath: “Number 27”.