Chapter 11

The Rebellious Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Grandma Kim had a strong bond with the children of the hospital; she made these visits once a week, but did not alone, a girl with chestnut hair, small eyes and playful smile always came with her, carrying a stuffed animal that looked like a squirrel. Jin Ah was her granddaughter, and always sat next to me at story time.

 

She ran her curious hands through my blond locks and rolled at her will in her short fingers. If something frightening occurred in the story, she grabbed my hand and not let go until we came in to a safe place.

 

Her laughter, which often I had the opportunity to listen at the funny parts, was like birdsong in spring, sweet and pleasant. Although sometimes she could be annoying by her insistence that I had to be close to her, every Wednesday I awaited eagerly to see her and have her around.

 

I saw Jin Ah more than a cheerful little girl and at times whimsical.

 

Also I always knew there was something in me that did not fit as a son of Mr. Baek, the brother of Yuri and Jae Rim. It was after my birthday number ten, that things changed, and I saw myself as something I never thought I was.

 

We arrived at the hospital; a group of children was sitting on the colorful carpet placed all over the floor of the hall, adapted for the storytelling time. Yuri went with the group of girls she knew from the time was hospitalized here for her illness, I remained behind, seeing if Grandmother Kim had arrived, and if Jin Ah was already here.

 

A girl bent down and saw a pair of turquoise pigtails that loomed dimly. I recognized the lock that was always out of her hair. I rushed, but I saw a boy sitting on my place. He had dark hair and seemed to have all her attention

 

"I do magic" he said in a tone that seemed from a conceited boy

 

"Yes" she said ecstatic "Please show me a trick"

 

"I'll show you if you promise stay with me the whole story"

 

"I ..." I saw her turning to her right as if was looking for something

 

I hurried, and almost stepped on a girl with braid, to get with her "Jin Ah" I said with a slightly higher voice to call her attention

 

"Mir" she opened her eyes in surprise, grabbed my hand and pulled me to sit down next to her on the other side "I thought you were not coming"

 

"Here I am, as always" I intertwined my fingers with hers 

 

"Hmm" the other boy, hawking "I’m waiting for your answer, pretty girl"

 

"And who are you?" I asked throwing my body forward

 

"I'd rather not tell you"

 

Something in his arrogant and possessive attitude towards her caused me discomfort, a feeling that had never experienced in my ten years of life. For me Jin Ah was more than the little girl who sat next to me and played with my hair. She was an invaluable treasure that was dear to me, and it was at that time that memories that seem mine but I never had, covered my heart.

 

Her grandmother winked and Jin Ah stuck more to me, while the other boy bent his legs and wrapped these with the arms.

 

As usual, Grandma Kim had the ability to make the story entertaining and fun, simulating the voices of the characters in a way that it looked like that squirrels and crickets had voices. But it seems that the story had changed for me, I could hear the rustling leaves and creek water become cloudy among the rocks.

 

Suddenly a sweet woman's voice, sneaked into my thoughts, and my senses were silent

 

"The time has come, my dear Mir" she whispered inside my head.

 

I felt a twinge in the eardrum which numbed my right side. I panicked at not being able to move the arm and leg. I turned my head to see Jin Ah, but she was absorbed in the story.

 

Then fixed my attention on the dark-haired boy, who smiled scathingly "Nice to meet who for so long I have seen as a rival" he murmured, and moved fast to stand in front of me without cause surprise in the audience for this puzzling act.

 

"Who... are you?" I asked with difficulty, as I cannot move my lips properly

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter