Jessica's apology

Double Crown

CHAPTER FOUR: Jessica's apology

 

Jessica watched Taeyeon storm off. Tears pricked her eyes and started slipping down her face. She jabbed the button for the elevator. Taeyeon's appearance had been completely unexpected, and Jessica had lashed out at the sudden hostility. 

Jessica didn't know why she brought up Taeyeon's scandal with Baekhyun. Tablo wasn't even going in direction. She dragged it in from nowhere out of left field. Jessica had regretted that immediately. She even considered apologizing, but when Taeyeon had actually appeared in front of her, all their other baggage overwhelmed any remorse Jessica felt. It was just like Taeyeon to bring out the worst in her.

When she got home, her parents and Krystal were already in their respective rooms. Jessica removed her makeup and took a long shower. After drying her hair, Jessica went to her room. She played soft pop on her stereo system at a low volume, turned off the lights, and scooted back against her thick pillows. 

Her phone buzzed.

[Yuri]
[Received 01:22]
Ya. Heard u on radio. 'Kwon guy who's not Yuri'?? Wth I'm not a guy.
[Sent 01:23]
ure my seobang
[Received 01:23]
Ha. Ha. U said more unfunny things.
[Sent 01:24]
sigh u know what i mean tho right
[Received 01:24]
Don't think everyone else is on the same page though :/ 

Were they really hurt? It didn't matter. If they thought about it a little, they would know that her primary intention was to tell it like it was to undermine SM. Jessica was worried. They hadn't talked to each other in such a long time... At this point, she couldn't trust them like she used to. It only made sense that they'd be doubting her too.

[Sent 01:25]
sigh srsly
[Received 01:25]
Well I'll talk to them for u. How r u?
[Sent 01:25]
:)
[Received 01:28]
No thanks, btw. Taeng just bit my head off for telling u she broke up with BH. What were u thinking?
[Sent 01:30]
dont assume i was thinking
[Received 01:30]
Say sorry
[Sent 01:30]
sorry kwon yuri
[Received 01:31]
And to Taeng.
[Sent 01:31]
meh
i felt bad
feel bad
but she came to my apt n said her piece
[Received 01:32]
SHE WENT TO UR PLACE?!!!
[Sent 01:33]
yeah she was that pissed
[Received 01:34]
Did u say sorry?
[Sent 01:34]
lol cant taking her scolding be apology enough?
[Received 01:34]
Sica.
[Sent 01:34]
good night yul seobang
[Received 01:35]
...Good night.

Jessica sighed. Yuri was right. If Taeyeon had asserted the same kind of about her, Jessica would have exploded too. She would don plastic gloves, hollow out a cucumber, stuff it with peanuts, and shove it down someone's throat. So Yuri was right. She had to 'say sorry'.

 


 

"Amber says that you're hilarious, by the way," Krystal said.

"What makes her say that?" Jessica selected a pair of B&E sunglasses, the brown Shanghai, and put it on. It went well with her black cardigan and boots. 

"She says that you're fully exploiting your freedom now, and to rock on, or whatever."

"I thought she was a 'Taeyeon-unnie' fan."

"Of course she still likes Taeyeon more than you, but funny is funny, and beating the system is funny to her." Krystal was on the bed, texting her corny llama friend.

"If netizens were like Amber, I would give more of a crap about them," Jessica said. Her manager had a field day handling the publicity that yesterday's interview with Tablo brought. It riled up #teamjessica, #teamGG, #teamOT9, #teamOT8 fans, antifans, and other idol group fans. 

"I don't care," Jessica had told Myungmin over the phone.

"I knew you'd say that, but my bonus this year better make my wife happy."

Jessica looked into the body-length mirror one last time before leaving her room. She said goodbye to her mother before heading back down to the basement, where Myungmin was waiting in the black van. There was a talk show taping at MBC, she went to the B&E office to look at some cloth samples, and in the evening she filmed for Guerilla Date. 

When she got back home, she received a call from Yuri. "Yes?"

"When's your next schedule?"

"MuBank on Friday."

"You're free for the next three days?"

"I still have practice and B&E, but yeah."

"What do you have tonight?"

"Nothing. Why? Wanna hang?"

"Hara, Minkyung, Fany and I wanna noraebang at Gangnam tonight. Join us!"

"Tiff's going?"

"Yes..."

"By the time I get there, it's going to be ten, earliest," Jessica said. 

She was fishing for an excuse, and Yuri wasn't going to give it to her. The karoake club they frequented closed at six in the morning. "Come, please? It's not going to be as fun without you."

"Did you tell Tiff I was going?"

"So you're coming?" Yuri sounded excited.

"I didn't say that."

"But you'd definitely come if Fany wasn't coming," Yuri said. "She suggested inviting you."

Tiffany was as upfront as she was straightforward. If she was willing to meet with Jessica, then she wasn't mad about yesterday's radio show. Jessica had worried that she would be. Why was she even feeling guilty about talking about the group in public? She was the one who got the short end of the stick.  "You do realize that if I go, it means that I'm cool with her. And by extension, the girls."

"Aren't you?"

"I don't know. I don't feel ready."

"Fany really misses you."

"Fine, I'll go."

Jessica called a taxi and went to The Rose Club at Gangnam. It was one of the most exclusive karoake clubs in Seoul, started by an old popular singer with a deep pocket who wanted to create a noraebang community of a certain standard. Only professional singers were allowed, and even then you had to get a referral from an existing member to get your own membership. As a result, it was a very safe place for a lot of celebrities to let loose, and Jessica loved it. Every room had polished leather couches and an immersive sound system. The alcohol selection was very good. 

When Jessica got to the Gallica room, everyone else was already there. There was a fruit platter and a plate of rice cakes. The lights were dim and Yuri was singing. 

"Sica-unnie!" Hara said. She hugged Jessica, and Minkyung joined them. Yuri went up to Jessica with her mic in one hand, and gave Jessica a tight one-armed squeeze. Jessica turned to Tiffany. Come on, Miss Hwang, don't make it awkward. Tiffany didn't disappoint. She looked completely relaxed. Jessica found herself smiling back instinctively and they embraced. 

Tiffany quickly sat Jessica between herself and Minkyung, and handed Jessica the room's iPad. "Order a drink and whatever snacks you like. I'm paying for everyone tonight!"

Jessica ordered a Long Island. After Yuri was a Pixie Lott song, and Tiffany picked up two microphones. She handed one to Jessica. "You like this song, right?"

Jessica looked at the title screen. She had introduced All About Tonight to Tiffany years ago.

"Sing it with me," Tiffany said, so Jessica did. Just like old times, they took turns for the verses and joined each other for the chorus. When they hit the bridge, Tiffany's eyes were overbright, but the song wasn't sad, so no tears were shed.

When they were done, Minkyung took her turn, and Jessica chose a few songs and added it to the playlist.

They drank and sang a lot. Yuri and Hara started dancing like crazy and Jessica joined them, and then everyone was laughing their heads off. Jessica fell back on the couch, breathless. Yuri ordered more fruits, and Hara started a new song.

"I need to use the bathroom," Jessica said.

"I'll go with you," Tiffany said. She drank the rest of her mojito and followed Jessica out.

While Jessica did her thing, Tiffany retied her hair. Jessica washed her hands and pulled out a napkin from the wall dispenser to dry her hands. She turned back to the mirror to touch up her make up.

"Why did you suddenly call us up?" Jessica asked in English as she reapplied lipstick.

"After hearing you on the radio yesterday, I wanted to make sure that we're good," Tiffany replied. "I knew that you've been keeping in touch with Yuri, so I thought it would be okay to try."

Jessica said nothing.

"For the record, after talking to Yuri, I'm cool with what you said yesterday, but I'm mad at you for talking about Tae's business," Tiffany said, "and I don't care about what's going on between you two but you have to make that right."

Jessica's face darkened. "Did you organize this just to lecture me?" 

"I'm not the scheming everyone seems to think I am," Tiffany said, not skipping a beat. "Like I said, I set up tonight for me and you to see where we're at."

Jessica smirked. "What, are Hara and Minkyung fodder? That sounds pretty y to me."

"Oh, shut up," Tiffany said. "Obviously I also wanted the five of us to have a get together. We haven't done this for such a long time."

"Killing two birds with one stone. Super schemy."

"Stop calling me a ."

"Okay, okay," Jessica said. "You're so sensitive... Anyway, thanks for tonight."

Tiffany smiled. Jessica hooked onto her arm and they went back to the karoake room together.

Noraebang continued until two in the morning. 

"Could I take a photo for my SNS?" Hara asked, looking to the Girls' Generation unnies for permission. "I'd understand if I can't..."

"We should take a lot of photos to commemorate tonight," Tiffany said, "but for your Instagram photo, Yuri and I shouldn't be in it. Wouldn't be right."

"Yes, T-manager," Yuri said. She pulled out her phone and snapped a photo of Hara, Minkyung and Jessica, and sent the photo to Hara. Then they took a bunch of selfies. Tiffany put the room on her credit card, and they went to the basement taxi stand to wait for their rides. They let Hara and Minkyung take the taxis that came first since the two were younger. Jessica stood beside Tiffany and Yuri, debating with herself.

"Tiff," Jessica said, knowing that the alcohol she'd drunk tonight was playing a part in this, "do you think Taeyeon will still be awake?"

"She's not in the apartment," Tiffany said, exchanging a look with Yuri. "She's filming an MV for You Know Nothing. It's insane. They're planning to release it by midnight on Saturday."

"Oh."

"Want to go to the filming location? I'll go with you," Tiffany said.

"I'll come too," Yuri said.

"I shouldn't disturb her."

"Going can't make things worse," Tiffany said. "Even if you make her mad again- madder, I mean- it'll just help her mood. You know how she hates acting."

"That's really encouraging."

"No, let's go. Yuri and I will make sure she listens to what you have to say," Tiffany said, ever so optimistic. "Showing up will be half the battle. She's going to be all touched that we're there at this time."

When their taxi reached the film studio, Taeyeon was changing clothes while the staff was changing the set. The stylist, Sookyung, was surprised to see Jessica. Without another word, she smiled at Tiffany and Yuri, gave Jessica a quick hug, and left the dressing room.

Taeyeon's loud sigh drew their attention. "I'm tired, you know. I don't have the energy to deal with any drama right now."

"Hey, we came to cheer you on," Yuri said.

"And Sunny is taller than me," Taeyeon said.

"Tae," Tiffany said. One thing that Jessica liked about Tiffany was that she was always about business. "Jess has something to say to you, and Yuri and I think you two should talk."

Taeyeon stared hard at Tiffany, and for a moment Jessica saw that Taeyeon was about to walk out of the room. Jessica once again seized at her lingering drunkeness. She hadn't planned on speaking to Taeyeon in front of anyone, not even Tiffany or Yuri, who wouldn't judge. "I wanted to apologize for yesterday. It was way out of line. I'm sorry."

Taeyeon blinked, the only indication that she had heard Jessica, but otherwise continued staring at Tiffany. Does she really have to do this in front of Yuri and Tiff? Jessica was getting irritated, but she was apologizing, so she held her tongue.

"Yuri, Fany," Taeyeon finally said. "Could you guys give us a bit of time?"

"Sure," Tiffany said. 

Taeyeon waited for the two to leave. Although they were standing still, Jessica felt like a prey being stalked by a lion. She was almost twenty-eight in Korean years, running her own business, and Taeyeon could still make her feel this way. "Well, say something."

Taeyeon glared. "You said a lot of things yesterday. Which one are you apologizing for?"

"For bringing up Baekyeon in public," Jessica said. "And I don't mean to sound insincere, but I'm just apologizing for that."

"Thanks for being honest," Taeyeon said, voice cold. "You should be grateful that the company dropped a bomb of a schedule on me today. I haven't had time to get even angrier at you."

"At least SM is doing something right for once," Jessica said. She could have sworn that was amusement that flashed across Taeyeon's face.

"," Taeyeon said. She flopped into the swivel chair one of the dressing tables and gestured for Jessica to take a seat. She suddenly looked exhausted. 

Jessica felt slightly guiltier and sat down.

"I'm sorry, too," Taeyeon said. 

Jessica frowned, confused.

"I should have done this a long time ago," Taeyeon said, "but I couldn't do it. And now you've gone and stolen my thunder."

"What are you saying?" Jessica's voice was soft.

"I'm sorry for fai..." Taeyeon swallowed and looked away. "For not doing right by you."

Jessica gaped.

"I wanted Soshi to be forever. But I didn't do enough to make it stay that way, and I'm really... sorry for that," Taeyeon said. 

Jessica was speechless. 

Taeyeon looked into her eyes and repeated, "I'm sorry."

"You're a... heartless, insincere ," Jessica said, tears springing to her eyes. "Even Hyo would have teared a bit by now. You're seriously the most unsentimental person in the world."

"You've told me that many times." Taeyeon looked unaffected, but Jessica knew that removed smile. It was strangely refreshing to be able to read Taeyeon for once.

"I've got to say this. I just have got to get this off my chest," Jessica said. "Seems like I'm forgiving people left and right today, and I hate that, so I'll say it to you before there's no one to say it to."

"Okay."

"I was really disappointed in you guys. It hurts like hell every time I think about it," Jessica said. Taeyeon bit her lower lip. "I actually kind of hate that I gave you something to scream at me about, because I wanted to keep my leverage against you."

"Hmm."

"You're thinking I'm ridiculous, aren't you?"

"Do you even have to ask?" Taeyeon stood up. "I want to see Fany and Yuri before shooting starts again. Let's go."

 


 

A/N: Thanks for the comments/upvotes/subscriptions last chapter! Let me know what you thought of this one:)