Taeyeon's Preparation

Double Crown

CHAPTER ONE: Taeyeon's Preparation

 

Taeyeon could see that none of her members were doing their best. They wanted to live up to their name of Girls' Generation, they wanted to perform at a level deserving of the moniker 'Nation's Girl Group'. They wanted to be the ones defining what idol girl groups should be. But the group that they were now wasn't doing what they always did before 2014. Taeyeon could understand why they were demoralized and distracted, but it didn't mean that she was going to let them be like this. Girls' Generation still wanted to be the best, and if they weren't going to work for it, she just had to make sure that they did. 

Taeyeon didn't think she had more self-discipline than them. Of course not. They were all equally driven and ambitious in their respective fields of interest, like Yoona with acting and Hyoyeon with dancing and Juhyun with musical acting, but nobody could be perfect 100% of the time. As the official leader, Taeyeon took responsibility of meeting the company (although Tiffany was definitely spokesperson for SNSD's issues with SM) and reaped the benefits of having pole position when it came to the fandom. So when others were allowed to be human, she had to put in more effort in pointing the group to the right direction. At least her members didn't need coddling. Once they were on the right track, they would go all out and do what they did best.

"What do we think we're doing now?"

Everybody stopped laughing when they heard Taeyeon's tone and turned to her.

Taeyeon disliked this, especially when most of them entered SM before her, but she kept firm and asked,"Is this how we practiced for Into The New World? For I Got A Boy?"

"Are you talking like a leader to us now?" Sooyoung asked. 

She hadn't really been one for four years, since The Boys. She'd largely left the group to leave itself. Now she dared take it back after cowardly asking everyone to share the burden? Taeyeon didn't back down. She wanted the old Soshi back. "Yes."

Juhyun spoke first. "Unnie is right, we haven't been working as hard as we should. Sorry, unnie."

Yoona and Hyoyeon nodded, but the others still weren't used to being reprimanded like this by Taeyeon. They disciplined each other routinely, but this time, they hadn't even been laughing that long. There was too much pride at stake. 

"We're still just learning the routine. It's not like we won't be ready by the first broadcast."

"Like how we were did Mr Mr in December?" Taeyeon asked.

They hadn't performed well. Taeyeon had compared it to their other songs and the difference was painfully obvious. Fans were disappointed by it. Ex-fans could justify their hatred with it. Personally, it had been a blow to the team morale how they were letting themselves go.

"You're one to talk," Sooyoung said. "You didn't take care of your voice."

"Yah, stop talking, Choi Sooyoung," Sunny said.

"No, let's get it all out right now," Taeyeon said, heat rising up in her. She knew she shouldn't have done those things, but hearing it pointed out to her by a member felt different.

"You're the main vocal, but you just cried and drank every day. And now you think you deserve to-"

"Yah," Tiffany started forward. She hadn't lost her voice like Taeyeon did for the same reasons, but she could empathize.

"Shut up everybody." Hyoyeon was red-faced. "The point is not whether Taeng acted like a leader after Sica left. We all know how hard it was. But this is a new year, and we promised each other to be different. Taeng is right. We're practicing like nothing's different. We should all be carrying the team. We should all be acting like we want to be in SNSD."

There was silence. Then Sooyoung started crying, which set Tiffany off. And then everyone was sobbing. Taeyeon wiped her eyes and looked at her members. They really wanted to be better than this.

"Group hug," Taeyeon said. Sooyoung and Hyoyeon reached her first, and everyone converged.

"Sorry for being such an , Taengoo," Sooyoung said, voice muffled.

"It's fine. I understand."

"Yay, our leader-unnie is back," Yoona said in her choding voice.

"We're going to be the best," Taeyeon said. "Do we want to be number one?"

"Yes!"

"Good. Then we're on the same page. Now let's go through the routine again."

 


 

SM's plan was this: Get Taeyeon to promote her solo album for a month to warm things up, and then release the group album.

They were finalizing her solo album for master. She had already approved the album cover. It was a collage of her drawings in white ink on a blue background.

"Are you sure we can't persuade you to change the track list?" Her manager asked.

"No. This is it."

1. Title track: It's Over 
2. Feature track: Again
3. Night city ft. Crush
4. Alone
5. Never here ft. Tablo
6. Hold on
7. Just leave
8. You know nothing
9. Better day

Netizens could speculate all they wanted on the number of songs. Taeyeon didn't care. She was sure that these nine songs had to be on her album. The other songs she made weren't as good. They'd just be extra fat on the album. Any less and the complete story that she wanted to tell in this album wouldn't get across. And Taeyeon was sick of not getting to say what she wanted.

"Very well. Is the rest of the album jacket good?"

"Yep, it is."

"We'll just go over your schedule again. Next week you'll have your debut stage on all three music programs, starting with MuBank, then MuCore and Inkigayo. You'll go on five radio shows and Yoo Hee Yeol's Sketchbook. You promote It's Over and Again together, then we see which one is more popular on the charts and run with that."

"Right. Of course."

"Just making things clear, as usual. I booked practice room 520 for you for the next week. Let me know which instructors you want in and when you want them."

"Thanks, oppa."

"I cleared your schedule mostly, except for one photoshoot on Tuesday. The only other commitment you have will be the SNSD comeback."

"Sounds good. Anything else?"

"No. What do you want for lunch?"

"Thanks, oppa. I'm feeling like Jjampong."

"You should be at your best for your debut stage. I'll bring you something healthier."

 


 

Taeyeon took the water bottle from Jaewon and on it greedily. Shim Jaewon, the SM performance director, had personally choreographed her performance for It's Over and Again. He knew her preferences well. It wasn't too dancey, but had a more freestyle feel to it, just so that she wouldn't be standing completely still like she would for a ballad.

He handed her phone back to her, and they played the video he recorded. Jaewon gave her pointers before leaving. 

Taeyeon practiced for another half hour before propping the phone up against the wall mirror to take another video. She sent this one via Line to Hyoyeon.

[Hyoyeon]
[Sent 21:32]
Hey, Hyo. What do you think?

Taeyeon received a reply when she was taking the elevator to the carpark.

[Received 21:57]
Taengoo jjang:) Finally get to hear ur new songs huh>< The 1st song is fine except for the transition to chorus. Either take out the 3rd step or make it smoother. The 2nd song still looks a bit awkward. I'll show u at the dorm later. When will u be back? Want me to go up?
[Sent 21:58]
Thx I'll take note^^" I'll come down. Should be home by 10.30 pm.
[Received 21:59]
K

 


 

Taeyeon was going to ask her stylist about her solo costumes when she received a call from Kim Youngmin's secretary. The CEO wanted a meeting with her. So Taeyeon went. Meeting the CEO was routine for group leaders, but the authority he had over her was still unnerving.

Outside Kim Youngmin's office, the secretary smiled and waved her in. Taeyeon knocked on the office door.

"Good morning, President Kim," Taeyeon said, bowing as she entered. 

When she raised her head, she saw someone she had not seen in more than half a year. Taeyeon saw Jessica mask dread with indifference, and knew that her own face betrayed no emotion.

 


 

A/N: Denden~ Thanks for reading the first chapter! Let me know what you thought of it:)