Blood

Forest of Dreams

Luhan stood at the top of Haven hill, looking out over the forest, with his arms around Xiumin. Xiumin had his back to him and Luhan’s hands were resting gently on his abs. He moved slowly and felt each of the abs across Xiumin’s stomach. He felt calm and peaceful with his Baozi safe in his arms. The light of the sun shone in beams through the branches of the pine and dust particles danced in them. Xiumin placed his arms on Luhan’s and for a moment everything was perfect, absolutely perfect.

 

Suddenly, the sky darkened and grey clouds filled the sky. At the crack of lightning, Xiumin tore away from him and sprinted away into the forest.

‘XIUMIN!’ Luhan yelled, running after him. He quickly lost him as the forest grew denser and he stopped, breathless, his eyes darting around in search. The forest seemed alive with creatures and demons. Luhan swore he could see pairs of yellow and red eyes to follow the shadows that moved around. The only thing he could think about was Xiumin. His heart was beating so rapidly that it threatened to break out of his ribcage and he gasped for breath. Where was he?

 

‘LUHAN?’ Xiumin’s vulnerable voice sounded in the distance and Luhan broke into a run. The darkness and the trees fell away to reveal the frozen waterfall. Xiumin stood on the ice of the stream, waiting for him.

‘Xiumin!’ Luhan called, ‘be careful on the ice! I am coming over, don’t move.’

Luhan stopped as he noticed a tear fall from Xiumin’s eye, roll down his cheek and plummet towards the icy floor.

‘Xiumin?’ Luhan’s voice caught in his throat.

 

Everything went silent.

 

Xiumin took a step forward and slipped, he fell instantly toward the floor and Luhan could only watch in horror. Xiumin’s head smacked against the ice and his body went limp. Tears welled in Luhan’s eyes and he rushed over to him. Blood had begun to form a puddle around Xiumin’s head and Luhan knelt down to take him in his arms. He immediately saw the blood and cried out in emotional pain. He rocked back and forth with Xiumin’s lifeless body cradled in his arms, sobbing violently. He looked down; Xiumin’s body a blur of red through his tears and a hand through his bloody hair. Tears continued to stream from his eyes, falling onto Xiumin and soaking both of their clothes. Holding him close again he continued to cry, his body heaving with every sob.

 

The blood continued to flow from Xiumin’s head, until Luhan was completely covered in it.

‘Make it stop!’ He screamed, ‘Make it stop! Make it stop!’

 

Luhan awoke in the dark of his room drenched in sweat and blinded by his own tears. He tried to speak but his voice was hoarse from yelling. He lay there, his eyes wide open, panting and panting.

 

It was just a nightmare.