Angels

Forest of Dreams

This was just not normal, not like him at all. Xiumin was always so quiet; he kept to himself, alone in his farmhouse, away from other people. He never stood out, not to anyone. Yet, a small deer had caught his eye in the woods and when he followed it, it knew he was there. For once someone had noticed him. Luhan had noticed him and had wanted to know who he was.

 

The first time Luhan spotted him, he turned and ran, as fast as he could and to his surprise, Luhan had not seen him escape at all. The second time however, he had been a victim of his own clumsiness and the whole event was undoubtedly the most embarrassing moment of his entire life. He had been watching Luhan make a few traps to catch rabbits, fascinated by how quickly his nimble fingers could tie ropes together. Once Luhan had climbed to the top of the pine tree, which happened to be Xiumin’s favourite tree to climb, Xiumin let his curiosity get the better of him.

 

He walked over to the trap Luhan had just finished making and carelessly poked a rope. It happened to be the trigger that set off the trap ensnaring his nearby leg in rope. He let out a yelp in surprise and toppled over onto the earthy floor.

 

He heard Luhan immediately after he fell and watched him swiftly and gracefully glide down from the tree (or at least that was how it had seemed to him). The sun was behind the pine tree and the bright light shone onto the angel making him glow as he swung from the last branch and landed, looking around. Xiumin had been so mesmerised by Luhan that he had forgotten to untangle himself and run away.

He quickly began to panic and started struggling to be freed. His efforts were useless and as he looked up, he realised that Luhan had found him and had begun to walk over.

 

Embarrassment washed over him like an ocean wave and inside his head screamed ‘stupid, stupid, stupid’ over and over again. He could only imagine how helpless and idiotic he must look in front of this angel-like human being. When Luhan reached him and began to untie the rope from around Xiumin’s legs all he could think about was the warmth of his touch and just how close he was to him at that point. He held his breath and sat completely still until the rope was off of him. He then got up as carefully as he could and just began to walk away. He wanted to say thanks, he wanted to tell him that he looked like an angel and that he was an idiot for touching his trap in the first place, but he couldn’t.

 

Once again, his head shrieked at him to turn back and talk to the man or even just look at him again but he ignored it. The risk of further embarrassment stopped him from doing anything. Despite all of these horrible feelings swimming round his head, there was one good thought that stood out. He could feel the glistening eyes of the stranger burning into his back the whole walk away and they felt pretty damn good.

 

‘Did you hear me Baozi?’ Luhan poked Xiumin in the ribs, something that he did a lot. It tickled and annoyed him, but honestly, his touch was nice even if it was a poke.

‘Erm, what? Sorry.’ Xiumin awoke from his daydream of the embarrassing incident and looked up into the sparkling eyes of his deer friend.

 

Luhan had obviously decided to be spiteful as he crossed his arms and said grumpily, ‘If you are not going to listen, why should I say it at all?’

‘Just tell me Luhan! What did you say?’ Xiumin poked him back, something he didn’t normally do, and smiled.

‘Fine,’ Luhan smiled back, ‘How did you get caught in my rabbit trap?’

Xiumin began to laugh and covered his face in embarrassment, ‘Oh! I was just thinking about that,’ He pulled a face and almost flinched, ‘I was kinda hoping you had forgotten and…’

‘Nope.’ Luhan cut him off and smiled widely in his face, ‘How did you end up in my rabbit trap?’ ‘It is so embarrassing…’ Xiumin looked away and suddenly felt very upset with himself.

Luhan touched his shoulder, ‘hey, don’t be embarrassed; I thought it was very cute. And you really don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to, I am not going to make you.’

 

Xiumin felt a bit better, especially having been called cute, again, ‘No, its okay, I don’t mind.’ He bit his lip nervously and said, ‘Well I was just curious as to how they worked and I got a bit too close. I am sorry that I just walked away, I wanted to thank you for freeing me and say sorry for being an idiot but I guess I didn’t know how to talk to you.’

Luhan’s face turned serious and he replied, ‘Three things; Number 1, you are not an idiot. Number 2, you are very welcome, it was a pleasure to have freed you and Number 3, can I ask you another question?’

 

‘Sure, go for it.’ Xiumin smiled gently.

‘Why do you find it so hard to talk to me?’

Xiumin paused for a second and his brow formed a soft frown. He replied, ‘It is difficult to talk to angels.’