Haven Hill (Part 2)

Forest of Dreams

The path had ended to reveal a flat rocky surface – The top of the hill.  As they walked further up, the view appeared: a vast mass of white forest surrounded them, almost as far as the eye could see. Just before the horizon, the forest ended, revealing the beginning of the city in the distance.

 

Luhan still had a firm grip on Xiumin’s hand and he dragged him on, until they stood at the very peak of the hill, looking down over the snow-covered forest.

‘Wow,’ Luhan exclaimed, ‘you were right Xiumin this really is incredible.’

‘Yes,’ Xiumin replied, ‘even more so with the snow, I have never seen it like this before.’ Luhan looked over at him. Xiumin’s cheeks were rosy and his eyes were wide. His mouth was open slightly and Luhan watched a small cloud of mist appear as he slowly exhaled.

 

Xiumin turned to look at Luhan and smiled gently, ‘It is amazing to think that we practically have this whole place all to ourselves.’ He moved his arm, gesturing to the forest below, ‘This whole forest and everything in it is here just for us.’

‘Our own personal forest of dreams.’ Luhan replied, ‘a place where we can do whatever we like in the sanctuary of the forest. Where no one will disturb our peace, where we can just be, without any worries.’

Xiumin placed his arm round Luhan and rested his head on his shoulder. Luhan pushed him off and turned him to face him, suddenly looking concerned, ‘There was one worry though!’ He thought back to the frozen waterfall and the memory of Xiumin slipping flashed before his eyes.

Xiumin smiled and opened his mouth to speak but Luhan cut him off, ‘No! No excuses! Don’t ever scare me like that again.’

 

Xiumin smiled even more, ‘I was fine and I barely slipped! Stop fussing, I am right here and I am perfectly fine!’

‘No,’ Luhan insisted, ‘Please be more careful! Or I will worry for your clumsiness.’

‘I will, I –,’ Xiumin started, but Luhan interrupted again, ‘Promise to be more careful.’

Xiumin met his eyes, ‘I promise.’

Luhan pulled him into a hug and closed his eyes, ‘Good,’ he whispered.

 

Luhan realised that this feeling was no longer a friendly concern of caring for Xiumin - it was a need. As if his very life depended on the fact that his Baozi was safe, his whole body ached and his heart pounded in his chest at the thought of losing him. He held him close in the hug, his face brushing against the warmth of his neck and his hands gripping tightly to his back. Xiumin could never be harmed in his arms, and Luhan would never let him go.