The Setting Sun

Forest of Dreams

Luhan was an angel. He wasn’t sure why and he definitely didn’t believe it himself, but Xiumin did and that’s all that mattered. They had talked all day in the pine tree and now they were on the top branch looking out across the world. The sun sunk rapidly towards the horizon, down from the darkening sky and the dim amber light illuminated the face of his Baozi. He was staring intently towards the sun, his large brown eyes even larger than usual, awe-stricken by the beauty of the sunset. Luhan would agree with him, the sunset was beautiful, but to him there was something way more beautiful and he was looking right at it.

 

Xiumin’s mouth formed a small, smirking smile and his head slowly turned towards Luhan. He then frowned and quickly snapped, ‘Yah! Why are you staring?’

Luhan broke away from his stare and began to stammer ‘I, I…’ whilst his cheeks reddened. His embarrassed eyes darted around searchingly.

‘Speak up, little deer!’ It was clear by the cheeky smile and look of content of Xiumin’s face that he was enjoying doing the teasing for once.

 

Luhan nervously looked up at the dark sky above them that had swallowed the sun and stolen the day. It was adorned with thousands of stars just like before and Luhan felt calm again. He whispered, ‘Just look up.’

 

Xiumin took his eyes off of Luhan and looked.

‘I have always loved the stars.’ Luhan told him,  ‘they are above us all the time and many people just don’t notice them. I don’t understand how people can live their lives and never look up to appreciate it! So far away, isolated and silent above the world, is it not incredible?’

‘It is.’ Xiumin looked back at Luhan, ‘It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in my entire life.’

‘It really is.’

‘Apart from one thing. Angels are more beautiful, so it comes a close second to an angel.’

Luhan met Xiumin’s eyes, which twinkled, and then they both looked back at the stars. He was melting inside and his heart threatened to beat it’s way out of his ribcage but somehow remained completely still. He whispered so quietly that he thought Xiumin couldn’t hear, ‘You’re the angel, Baozi.’

 

A small, cold hand grasped his and Xiumin whispered, ‘Shut up,’ before resting his head on Luhan’s shoulder.