e i g h t

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojung wakes up to the sound of her window being knocked with something that she doesn’t even know what because the sound is indefinite. She groans as she drags herself to the window, slightly cursing under her breath when she pulls the curtain before she opens the window. She’s almost yelled when she sees Myungsoo’s down there, all dressed up very nicely and he bends down as he picks up pebbles in his hands. He’s about to throw it one by one again when he sees her as well, only then he drops all the pebbles and waves to her.

Soojung rolls her eyes, thinking that if he tries to be romantic then it’s definitely not. She yawns before she asks him, harshly. “What the hell are you doing, Kim Myungsoo?!” she doesn’t hide the fact that she dislikes it when he wakes her up like that. It’s Saturday for God sake! Who even wakes up before 8 on Saturday? She runs her fingers through her hair, letting out her frustration before she yawns again.

He shrugs, grinning his perfect grin. Soojung swears it’s as blinding as the sun she closes her eyes for a while. “Waking you up, of course!” he says, right hand on the waist while the left on his forehead to cover the ray of the sun from reaching his eyes.

“What for?” she yells. “It’s not even 8, you idiot!”

He smiles as he shakes his head slightly. “It’s 31st December. Did you forget?”

Soojung tilts her head, as if the answer for what should really happen on 31st December is written on the sky. She then snaps, her eyes open wide and she looks at him. A guilty smile forms on her lips slowly when she looks at him who’s smiling very brightly, as if he’s not bothered by the fact that she, for a moment there, forgets the date. He’s really not bothered at all.

“I’ll be really quick.” She says.

He nods, the smile is still hanging there and shows no hint to turn straight, and he replies her, “I’ll be waiting.”

+

“I’m so so so sorry,” she says once she gets out from her house, clumsily approaching him who’s leaning against the pillar of her house. He flinches a little because he’s too absorbed in his thought, and he never thinks she’ll be that quick. He looks at his watch, and it’s only 8.10 and so he looks at her with raised eyebrows.

“Okay, that was quick!” he says, and then he pretends to take a sniff at her before he makes a face. “Did you take your bath or did you not?” he asks playfully, earning a glare with a shove on the shoulder by her. She takes a short bath and only settles down with a grey shirt with black trench coat on the outside, with skinny jeans and a pair of black Converse. She thinks it’s enough and at least doesn’t look like crap when she walks with him later.

“What is that supposed to mean?!” she yells out loud, slightly pouting. She then brings her arms to her nose and sniffs herself when he turns around with a chuckle. She follows his steps after that, until he stops in front of a car. She looks at it in awe, turning her head to him. “I didn’t know you have this.” She says, wiggling her eyebrows.

He mimics her, wiggling his eyebrows as well. “Well, I didn’t know I have this until yesterday. Now, let’s go.” He says as he opens the door for her, and she goes in with a smile.

And she thinks, if he tries to be romantic, then he is—not totally but slightly. Soojung cringes by her own thought. She slaps herself right before he goes in—he sees but pretends that he does not. He then turns around and reaches for a paper bag and puts it on her lap. She brings it to her eye level and the ‘DAISY’ written in cursive logo on it catches her attention. There’s only one bakery which name is Daisy, and that’s her mom’s.

Soojung asks him when he starts the engine. “Where did you get this?”

“At the bakery near to the junction.” He answers. “Why?”

“I work there!” she exclaims cheerfully as she takes out a tuna bun. “But I haven’t go there for a few days now, since it’s my mom’s so...” she mutters before she laughs a little, doesn’t notice how shock his expression is at the moment. She then takes out a cheese with chicken one and hands it to him, only then she realises that he’s looking at her with a smile that she couldn’t really define. He seems shock too.

Smiling to him as well, even though she never knows why she does that, she asks, “What?” She feels uneasy when he looks at her like that, like he knows something that she doesn’t know, which makes her wants to know even more. As he remains silent, she asks again, this time louder. “What?”

His smile never fades away, and then he shakes his head, leaving her in question. He says, “Nothing.” He then grabs the bun she gives, steering with only one hand and eats with the other. Soojung’s weird with the bright and happy vibe that radiates from him since the moment she sees him that morning, which affects her as well.

She says, “You’re weird.”

“I’m sorry.” He replies.

She shakes her head. “No, that’s a compliment.”

He takes a glance towards her and lets out a light chuckle. Who knows? Who knows it’s really her, and it’s not just his imagination? Who knows it’s really Soojung after all this time? He once thought he’ll look out for her, the girl with the monstrous laugh, but when he met Soojung again, he doesn’t have a chance to do so. It turns out that he never really has to find her, because he’s already found her. She’s just there since the very beginning.

He looks to her again, and she rolls her eyes. It’s quite disturbing and she’s nervous! Without hesitation, she reaches out and softly pushes his head to the front again. “Focus, Kim Myungsoo! I don’t want to die befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter