t h i r t e e n

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s finally the very day! Soojung dresses up beautifully with mixed feelings, and as she looks into the mirror, she doesn’t really know what that expression she has on her face means for. She’s for sure is happy, because Jessica is finally getting married with the love of her life. And yet there she is, feeling worried, anxious, sad and somehow, devastated. She doesn’t cry, though. She will, but not at the current moment. She breathes in and out as she puts on the earrings, sighing. Jessica is long gone to the wedding hall, probably to check things out for the last time even though she doesn’t really have to do that. Kris has made sure everything is perfect before she could even do that.
 

Soojung sighs again, eyes getting teary but she manages to hold it in. It must be nice, now that Jessica is building a new life with someone that she loves, and she could see that Kris loves her even more than that. She’s lucky. He’s lucky. And they deserve each other just that much. When they’re with one another, she could see that they’re in an absolute bliss. Stepping into a relationship and stepping into a marriage are two different things, and she knows that her sister is so ready for it. She looks to the clock, and it’s almost 9. She quickly fixes everything up, and within minutes, she’s already at the outside of her house, and she gasps when she sees that figure who’s leaning ever so casually, so beautifully at the pillar.
 

Couldn’t stand her shock, she immediately asks, “Why are you here?”
 

Myungsoo frowns before he pushes himself from the pillar. “I’m invited, remember?” he says.
 

“No, no, I know you’re invited. What I mean is that, why are you here?”
 

That guy smiles his famous seven thousand megawatts smile, and she feels like she’s floating on cloud nine. “To pick you up.” he answers, stating the very obvious.
 

“But my parents said there would be a chauffeur to pick—“
 

“Let’s just say they changed their mind after I talked to them,” he says, the smile is still on his lips. And then he offers out his hand to her, saying, “So, shall we?”
 

Soojung gladly takes his hand, and she couldn’t help but thinking, feeling like it’s her marriage instead of her sister's.
 

She mentally slaps herself for that.
 

+
 

Soojung swears her cheeks could fall off from her face real soon. She never knows a wedding would cost her a lot of smiles here and there! It’s so tiring, she swears to God! She looks to the front and finally notices that her sister hasn’t been sitting for maybe for 5 hours straight now, but she’s still smiling from ear to ear as she greets all the guests that come. How can she smile ever so beautifully like that even when hours have passed? And then she notices that Kris’s hand is secured around her sister’s waist, and she finally gets it.
 

Maybe her sister gains strength through their little contact there.
 

She smiles a little. Just, how wonderful could love be to be exact? How does a feeling make one strong? It’s so wonderful, she thinks, and that her sister is now there, she must be in a complete bliss. She’s lucky. Jessica is always a step ahead of her, and for that she couldn’t thank God enough. She’s not sad or disappointed that she’s always a step behind because that means she has a role model that she could follow. Her sister has helped her a lot, more than she ever mentions because she’s just at showing her emotions.
 

And then she averts her gaze to the other side. Jongin and Naeun are there, she has no idea why they’re there together, but they’re sitting alone at a table, across each other. From the tight look on Naeun’s face, Soojung knows that Jongin has done a good job to annoy the hell out of her. Jongin’s smirking, but she notices that his expression is, somehow, kind of soft too. Naeun then turns to look Jongin straight in the eyes, and just like that, his face changes almost immediately. Soojung wonders if she’s only hallucinating, or that really happens for real, except that he doesn’t want Naeun to notice. She also notices the pony the girl has on her laps, and she knows who gave it to her. She makes sure to ask him later.
 

It’s funny, somehow, to see them together. They bicker a lot, they have different opinions on things, one is on the south pole while the other one is on the north pole, but then again, maybe that’s how they’re slowly getting there. Maybe they’re like magnets after all.
 

“A penny for your thought?”
 

She’s startled, but she doesn’t have to turn her head to know who he is. She knows it by heart. She smiles softly, shaking her head. “I’m just thinking about stuffs,”
 

“What stuffs?”
 

She shrugs, the smile on her lips never fades away. “Jongin and Naeun and how they’re there together and why they don’t leave when they can, and Jessica unnie and Kris oppa and this whole marriage thing,” she answers, her fingers drumming softly on the table.
 

He chuckles then before he props up his elbow onto the table and puts his chin on his fist. “How can you think about everyone else when you don’t spare a moment to think about yourself?” he asks, amused. He stares at her and he wonders if she’s always that beautiful. She’s always beautiful in his eyes, but that day it’s like her beautiful doubles up than usual.
 

Soojung dares to look at him straight in the eyes this time. “I do think about myself,” she says in a defensive tone.
 

He raises his eyebrows. “I doubt that,”
 

She snorts. And then her face falls out of a sudden. feels like its clogged up. She wonders if he says that to make her feel bad or something, but looking at his expression, she knows he doesn’t. It’s funny how guilt can get us every time. “I don’t think about people that much, Kim Myungsoo. I might look like I think about people more than I think about myself, but there are times when I just act as if only my feelings that matters.” And I’m really sorry for that.
 

Myungsoo notices the sudden change of her mood and he wonders if he says something wrong. And then everything clicks. He looks at her softly. He could finally read her again, slowly, and then he shakes his head. When will the girl forgive herself, seriously? When will she ever move on? Why does she keep trapping herself in the past if the only thing it does is hurting her?
 

“Soojung-ah, will you please stop torturing yourself?” he gently asks her, his voice soft as if he wants her to melt down. But he knows he couldn’t be too hard on her either. Her icy wall couldn’t be melted down unless it’s with something warm. And he knows the only weapon he has is his words. And this time is harder compared to the old time, because he doesn’t know what’s really going on in her pretty little mind. Just like the other day when she said she had something to tell him, and then Naeun appeared out of nowhere, and even though she didn’t tell him the truth, he knows that when she said she forgot what she wanted to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter