n i n e t e e n

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

November comes by in a dash. Most of the students don’t realise it since works have been piling up day by day. Soojung begins that day with a quick breakfast, all alone because Amber is long gone to her 8 a.m. class. She has no class that day and instead of going out, she plans to do a background reading for English Composition they’ll go through that week. After she has finished her breakfast, she dresses in a thick, black long sleeve shirt with skinny jeans, a cream scarf she puts it around her neck and lastly she places a beanie on her head to keep her warm. She grabs her backpack and walks to the library. The cold, autumn wind keeps hitting her skin, sending chills down to her spine, but even so, a small, warm smile still embraces her lips.

It’s a good thing she chooses to live on-campus instead of staying in a boarding house. It’s easier to go to the classes and library – even though it takes her for about 15 minutes to go to her classes while 10 minutes to the library. Cafeteria is located in the main building – The Hub. There’s a small grocery store under their dormitory. She walks for a few more minutes before she finally arrives at the library, scanning her student card at the glass door and goes inside. She heaves a sigh once she notices how packed the library is. Why do people wake up so early if they don’t have classes in the morning? The answer would be probably the same as hers. She walks deeper nevertheless, and another sigh of relief escapes from her lips as she spots an empty table at the very far, isolated end. She settles down her things first, grabbing every thick books that she thinks might be related to her subject and begin her background reading after that.

Soojung’s too absorbed with her reading that she only looks up about two hours and a half later when her neck feels sore due to declining her head to the book for a long time. As she looks up, an audible but noticeable gasp leaves her lips, her eyes wide, eyebrows automatically furrow in confusion. “What are you doing? How long have you been here?” she hisses as she massages the back of her neck gently.

“Why? Can’t I sit here? I don’t see your name anywhere on this table.”

Soojung rolls her eyes. “Did I say you can’t sit here?” she retorts back, her voice she controls from booming out loud. “How can you understand advanced mathematics when you can’t even understand simple questions?” she sarcastically asks as she points to the complex book that lies open in front of the tall guy. To be honest, she doesn’t even know what book that is. All she could see is numbers and numbers and more numbers from her position, but she believes she has seen that somewhere when Amber did her work at their living room the other day.

“My brain’s set up for complicated things, and not for some pointless stuffs, you see, and I believe that answers your questions.” Before Soojung could even reply, he continues again, “Just do your things. I won’t be sitting here if the other tables aren’t full. You won’t even notice that I’m here, I promise.”

And he means it – for the first 15 minutes. She doesn’t even notice that he’s there, but somewhere during the 17th minute, she begins to shift uncomfortably in her seat, on her bottom lip before she looks up from her book rather angrily. “Can you please stop staring at me?” Soojung asks in a low, cold voice. She shoots him a glare as well. Seriously, she couldn’t believe there’s a person who’s more annoying than Jongin. And for the record, it’s only their 2nd meeting and he makes her feel of not wanting to see him again. He’s such a pain. Oh Sehun is such a pain. Why can’t he just leave her alone? Can’t he see that he’s not invited there?

He chuckles. His eyes turn crescent and wrinkles form at the corner of his eyes. “Am I making you uncomfortable? Ah, what can I do? I’m always capable on girls.”

Soojung scoffs. “Stop fluttering yourself. I’m always uncomfortable to strangers, what more to irritating prick like you. I hate to break it out to you, Oh Sehun, but I’m not one of the girls that you’re always capable on. Not even in your wildest dream.”

Sehun raises an eyebrow, leaning in to the table. “Are you challenging me?” he asks with a grin. “Be careful with your words, Jung Soojung. Once the words is out, you can’t take it back, you know?”

“Should I be afraid then? Come on, Oh Sehun. Just because you have girls swooning all over you, doesn’t mean I’ll do the same thing, alright? Get a grip. Besides, why would I let myself to be all head over heels for you when I have someone waiting for me back in California?”

Sehun stares at her in confusion before his eyes run to her fingers on the table, and his eyes finally catch that – the ring on her ring finger. But, that doesn’t look like an engagement ring, though. His eyes then run back to her face. “How can you be so sure he’s going to wait for you until you’re finally back home? During that long period, how can you be so sure that—“

“Okay, seriously, you’re in no place to talk, Oh Sehun. What is that supposed to mean? I’m sure you know you have no right to judge him, or what I choose to believe.” Soojung says lowly, but still, she makes it clear to him, and she knows he hears it well. She’s mad, really! “Why am I letting you to sit here anyway?” she asks more to herself as she starts to gather her things in a hurry. Sitting with him only makes her angry and she decides to go. She couldn’t stand of being there with him anymore. Putting the last book in her bag, she immediately rushes out, not even bother to put back the books she has taken to the shelves. Her blood is boiling, her eyes fuming in anger. Just when she wants to make the first step out, she finally notices that it’s raining, and the worst thing is, she doesn’t bring an umbrella. How should she know that it’s going to rain anyway? The news yesterday said it’ll be all cloudy and all, not rain. But, logically, if it’s cloudy, the chance for it to rain is high, isn’t it? She blames herself for the lack of logic she has.

She looks up to the dark sky, taking two steps back so that she won’t be hit by the splash of the rain. She leans against the brick wall and sighs; her heart is cooling down, just like how the rain has cooled everything beneath it. Sehun has made her mad, angry. Why did he talk as if he knows everything? But then again, is it really Sehun? Or is she the one who was being too emotional? Women are always emotional, but the thing that happened back there, she has the right to be mad, right? Sehun knows nothing. Not a thing. He only knows her name and that’s it. But, what the freaking hell – she couldn’t help but to think what he had said. She should not. Just by thinking what the prick said, it means she’s doubting him, doubting the faith she has in him, doubting their relationship. But, she wonders, does Myungsoo feel like what she’s feeling when he met Jinri the other day?

She knows. She knows he was hired to be the photographer of a big charity project, but never did she know Jinri was the face for the project. Like, who the hell would expect that? Among all other models, who would have thought Jinri would be chosen? Heck, she doesn’t even know that Jinri has became a model. Myungsoo himself didn’t know – he was never informed about that. But, even if he’s informed, he wouldn’t know it’s Jinri anyway. He said her stage name is Sulli. Sulli, huh? Just when Soojung thought she has changed like her name, she was proven wrong.

Of course. Of course Jinri would make a move. Who wouldn’t? Myungsoo and his never ending effects he has on girls and women. Soojung smiles to herself at the thought, even though the thought itself makes her afraid. Is Jinri still liking him? Judging from the story he told, she has the feels that she still is. Should she be afraid? But, she doesn’t want to feel afraid anymore. She has enough. What is happening? They haven’t been apart for so long, but seriously, what is happening? Sehun happened. Jinri happened.

Life, itself, happened.

Oh my God. She wants to go back. To California. To him.

Is this it? When Myungsoo said they won’t be okay all the time, did he mean this time as well? I mean, they aren’t fighting and all. But, this uncertain feelings – is it included to one of the times they aren’t okay? She feels like it is. She puts a hand over her chest, preventing it from ripping apart. Dramatic, she knows, but that’s what she’s feeling at the moment. Dramatic... because things might end up just fine. Dramatic... because she’s over thinking again, but hey, blame her flawed DNA traits for that. Dramatic... because she misses Jongin, somehow. Dramatic... because life is ain’t all waltz – life isn’t scripted. It’s not like books and movies. If they’re too cliché, too dramatic, too bad, you can just put it down and stop reading, stop watching. But, life isn’t like that. Life has no directions. She couldn’t fast forward to see how her ending wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter