f o u r

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojung wakes up to the sound of birds chirping outside the window. Yawning, she gets up from her bed and goes to the balcony to get some morning air. It is cold and when she’s fully awake only then she realises it’s snowing. Soojung holds out her hand, feeling the first snow of the year with something undefined under her chest. Soojung doesn’t know what it is, but it’s some kind of heavy feeling and she doesn’t like it at all.

She heaves a deep sigh. The snow slowly melts in her hands and she looks up. The sky’s beautifully dark and Soojung hopes there would be a day when the sun’s just shining so bright and not hiding itself like that day and all the days that passed. Soojung thinks that maybe it’s the gloomiest winter that she ever experiences. She hopes the Christmas would turn out fun, though.

Soojung then looks to her front yard, in which is all white because it’s covered with the thick snow. Everything is so beautiful under the white layer. Some of her neighbours are busy removing the snow from the lane. Soojung smiles a faint smile, loving winter so much even though it was the day when she decided to let everything go. She can’t say she doesn’t regret anything because she does. There’s a part of her that wishes she’d try instead of just chickened out. And it’s not getting even easier when he’s here.

Speaking of the devil,

Soojung slowly looks straight to a balcony across her, in which she knows belongs to him because she saw him once there when he took a photo of the moon at 3 in the morning. She then gasps, feeling like her heart has jumped out from her chest when she realises that he’s there, staring at her ever so softly like the old time—the time when everything is perfect, the days before she left him—and her breath hitches looking at his gaze.

She feels like crying at the moment. She feels like begging him to stop doing that—to stop looking at her like that. Because she hurt him, and she’s sure as hell she doesn’t deserve it. Myungsoo too, doesn’t know why he does that. When he sees her walking to the balcony, looking so child-like in her pink pyjama, he couldn’t help it—not when she’s being that adorable with her bed hair. Not when she looks so mesmerized with the falling, white snow. Not when she’s being that.

He was a man in love. She was the girl that he was in love with—even though he’s not sure whether it’s a was or a is.  They were a thing before, and he just doesn’t believe it if people falling out of love say they don’t care about each other anymore. No matter what, no matter how, they’ll always care—even if they’re with someone new. It’s nature. It’s normal to feel that. He wouldn’t deny the fact that he’s still, somehow, care about her—even though she doesn’t seem to care at all.

Care? Yes.

Love? He’s not sure.

He then breathes, regaining his composure again before he flashes a smile to her before he goes back inside.

Soojung feels her heart drops.

+

Jongin hangs out with Soojung that evening at her house. They’re going to watch ‘Miracles in Cell No. 7’, one of Soojung’s favourite movies because it’s such a heartbreaking story and because she gets to see Jongin crying, which is priceless because Jongin loves to play cool. Jongin sighs as he stuffs his mouth with popcorn. He rolls his eyes when the girl takes a sit beside him, putting the bowl of popcorn between them.

“Again?”

“Yes.”

“You’re such a pain in the sometimes, you know that?”

“I know.”

Jongin rolls his eyes again, and by the time Park Shin Hye appears on the screen, Jongin starts to focus. But Soojung doesn’t, though. She tries hard to immerse herself in the movie but she couldn’t. She could only remember the guy that lives just across her. His smile really haunts her since that morning and she couldn’t do anything without really remembering him. It is , to be honest, because he seems to have that effect on her and it never really goes away.

It’s during the light part of the movie when Jongin finally averts his gaze from the screen to the girl beside him. She seems so focus but Jongin knows she doesn’t. It’s her eyes that are there, but her mind is not. She’s thinking about something else. She seems to be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter