s e v e n

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojung’s busy bringing food to Jongin’s house’s backyard, arranging them all nicely on the long table. It’s been a tradition for the Jung and both Kims to have Christmas dinner together. The last two year they did it at Soojung’s, last year at Myungsoo’s house (without Myungsoo of course) and this year they’re going to do it at Jongin’s. Soojung sees Myungsoo when she returns from Jongin’s house to hers and to his back, but she never has the chance to approach him. The latter seems busy as well. She makes a mental note to ask him why his family moved here first without him.

When she’s done with the food, only then she changes into proper clothes. It’s a plaid, long sleeves dress that Jessica got her as a Christmas gift, and after she’s satisfied with her look, she runs downstairs and goes to Jongin’s. She smiles brightly when she sees Jongin’s actually wearing the sweater she’s got him. She makes a thumb up to him, who’s also smiling as brightly as her, and she says, “It looks good on you,” in which makes him reply, “Oh, please! I look good in everything.” Soojung could only roll her eyes.

The dinner is so boisterous and cheerful. Soojung has Jongin’s sister’s son cling on her all the time, because the five-year-old kid says she’s beautiful out of all people and because she hates Jongin. Myungsoo keeps looking at her, making sure she’s having a good time, and he’s very glad that she does. He could hear her laugh for countless time through the night, and even though it’s cold, her laugh warms him from inside out.

And even though everyone keeps eating, plates after plates, Soojung is busy treating the kid rather than filling herself with all the delicious cuisine. She feeds the kid, laughing over something that the boy says to her, accompanying him to the toilet when he needs to pee—everything a mom would do to her child. And when Soojung’s being that, he couldn’t help to have the desire of finding someone like her to be the mother of his kids. Or maybe he’s actually imagining Soojung would be that, in which he mentally throws punches to himself for having that kind of thought, but hey, men can imagine things too.

“I have an announcement to make,” Jessica says, her voice a little loud compared to others as she tries to gain their attention and it works. Soojung looks up from the boy to her sister, and she knows it’s something serious because she has her cold face on, but her eyes are warm. And then she travels her eyes south, and she finally sees that—Jessica’s hand that’s interlaced with the tall guy that sits beside her, and she knows what it’s all about. “Me and Kris,” she takes a breath before she continues. “We have decided to get married, since we think it’s just the right time to do one.”

Everyone is silence for a few seconds before her father laughs, and then everyone’s cheering after that, showering both Kris and Jessica with ‘congratulations’ and everything, and even though Soojung feels very very very happy with the news, there’s a part of her that wishes her sister would wait for a few more years before she decides to be a wife to somebody. She has only been with her for 6 years now, and now she has to share her with someone else. But she’s glad, Kris is a great guy, and he’s like a part of the family for 3 years now, and he has been her brother since then, alongside with Jongin.

“Now that Sica noona is getting married, don’t you think we should get to the next stage too, Soojung?” Jongin casually asks like it’s the most common question in the world, and Soojung chokes on her drinks that Jessica has to pat on her back—glaring at Jongin but then bursts into a laugh. Soojung’s face flushed red and she shoots him the coldest glare she could do, but Jongin doesn’t even bug. He looks at Myungsoo instead.

And he feels like he’s winning the lottery because for a second there, when he says that, Myungsoo’s movement of putting the marshmallow into his mouth suddenly stops. He notices even though it’s just for a millisecond, and then Myungsoo looks at him, and he replies the stare with a challenging look. He’s really challenging him. He keeps on waiting that he’ll do something to capture her attention again, but he does none except for watching her from across the table, and he’s got tired of waiting.

“Even you’re the last man standing in whole wide world, there’s no way I’d choose you.” Soojung says with a disgusted look, making everyone laughs and Jongin sends her a dreamy look like he’s saying ‘no matter what happens, I’ll make sure you’ll be mine’. Soojung pretends to puke before she helps to clear everything out. Myungsoo helps too and Jongin takes the chance to take the camera that Myungsoo brings, saying that he wants to take pictures of all families, and he lets him be.

Soojung does the dishes while Myungsoo dries them all beside her at the drying rack. It’s funny how they end up there when there’s plenty of work to do, and they’d choose that, like they’re sending telepathy to each other. They work in silence, only the sound of tap running and glasses meet glasses could be heard and it’s so heavy and almost consuming before she decides to clean the suffocating air by nudging him by the elbow, and he replies her with a soft ‘what?’. Soojung feels her legs go jelly. Why does everything about him have to be so beautiful?

She clears . “Why didn’t you move together with your family a year ago?” she asks.

“I work as a freelancer, and I felt like capturing all the mesmerising things in Seoul before I go here—just to make sure I won’t be forgetting them.” he answers and when he’s taking the plates she’s done washing, their hands slightly brush against each other, but no one seems to notice, or maybe they choose to not minding it.

“What do you mean by forgetting them?”

“You see, things happen in a matter of time, and you can’t stay at one place all the time. You’re moving and you have to move, no matter what, and there’re some places you’ll leave for a long time. And I’m afraid I’ll forget them, so to always remember them, you need something. Mine just happens to be photographs, because that way I could capture all the perfect moments and I could look at them, so that I’ll remember I’ve been there.”

Soojung smiles when she hears the answer, loving it very much because the ne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter