twenty-two

absolute
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Four years have passed in a dash. Believe it or not, Jung Soojung is only a week away from graduating. Final exams had long finished, and the results came out two weeks before, and she, being as clever as she is, passed with flying colors. Once the results could be checked online, she immediately made a call to her parents, Jongin and Myungsoo even though it was around 3 a.m. in California to tell them the great news. Her parents and Myungsoo were indeed so happy about it, but it’s otherwise with Jongin.

“You called me, woke me up at 3:17 in the morning, just to tell me that?”

But, Jongin did congratulate her right after that. Of course he would. It seems like even though it has been years, he still couldn’t get rid of his annoyance yet. But even so, she misses him so bad. The last time she met him was during summer a year before, and she couldn’t go back during Christmas because of the overloaded assignments she had for the final semester. It’s spring now, probably her last spring in UK. She hopes not. She hopes she’ll come back there again anytime in the future. But now, she couldn’t wait to graduate and be back in California, even though the idea of going back doesn’t seem so appealing either.

Staring at her phone on the grass, a sigh escapes her lips. She absentmindedly taps her fingers on the ground as she counts the days they’re not speaking. Myungsoo and her haven’t talked for almost two weeks now, a few days after she told him about her results. It’s because some misunderstandings they had here and there. Myungsoo is jealous over her relationship with Sehun, which she couldn’t deny the fact that she and Sehun have gotten closer over the years. She’s jealous over his relationship with his new staff at his own gallery. He owns a gallery now, officially opened two years ago. And with his name along the gallery receiving more attention everyday, he needs more staffs in his gallery since he couldn’t be there every time. And she knows he’s close with one of his staffs. She’s jealous. And that makes them even.

And a few months ago, when she had no much time to stay on the phone for too long because she had so much work to do and was busy, or because she only craved for bed and nothing else, “No one is ever too busy. It’s all about priorities,” was all what he said. He hung up immediately right after that, leaving her speechless and dumbfounded. She called him so many times, which was useless because he didn’t answer any of it. She texted him and said sorry. They made up after almost two weeks.

And later when she was finally exam free, it was his time to be, well, busy. She called him only to have her calls answered by the operator, but when he did answer after her countless attempts, she couldn’t help bursting with mixed emotions. She was mad and worried. “Where have you been?!”

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I’ve been very busy.”

She chuckled. “No one is ever too busy. It’s all about priorities,” had slipped off from before she could even stop herself. Her eyes turned glassy and it terrified her how silence and dead the other line was.

After a few moments, she heard a sigh and, “You wouldn’t say that if you really understand me, Soojung-ah,” he said bitterly. “I guess you didn’t get me at all.”

“I could say it’s the same for you too then.” she replied shortly. That, she could say, was the biggest fight they ever had. With Myungsoo kept on posting pictures with her and some other girls, beautiful girls, on instagram and all, she couldn’t help feeling insecure. Impulsively, she posted pictures of her and Sehun, only Sehun because it’s only him who she considers as her male friend, just for the heck of showing off. It made her feel pathetic in a way because she thought that maybe she didn’t understand him at all. They made up that time was only because Jongin was interfering. He said he was sorry, and she was sorry as well.

Another sigh leaves her lips as she wonders what’s he up to. She misses him. But, what’s the point if she calls him and he wouldn’t answer? She’s not giving up, no, but there are times when you’re just like ‘I’m out’ because the other person doesn’t show as much interest as you are. She has ego too, alright? It’s not only him who has it. And for a relationship to work out, both person has to contribute equally. They’re not at the stage in which one only feels of giving out 10%, and then the another one has to give out the remaining 90% to make sure there’s always 100% love. They’re almost there, but now that they’re fighting every so often, she’s not very sure at all. She frowns.

“Are you okay?” Sehun asks, concerned. His voice manages to pull her back from her thought.

She seems lost for a moment before she nods her head. “I’m fine.”

“Doesn’t seem like it to me.”

“I’m fine,” she says. “I just can’t believe we’re graduating so soon.”

“I know right?” he agrees. “it feels like yesterday when we first came here and now we’re only a week away from being a graduate.”

“And you’re going to get married in August.” She teases.

“And I’m going to get married in August, yes.” Sehun laughs, his eyes beaming beautifully. “I can’t believe I’m going to be a husband only after a few months of graduating.”

“But it’s a good thing, isn’t it?” she says softly. “I always like the idea of marriage, and the marriage itself. You’re a good guy and I’m sure Joo Hyun knows she is one lucky woman.”

Sehun chuckles as he stares at the sunset. Deep orange, purple and light blue cast all over the sky, creating a beautiful horizon above them. “More that I’m the lucky one,” he says. “Sometimes I feel like she’s too good for me that I don’t deserve her.”

“Sometimes, all we need to do is believe that we deserve the best as well, even if we don’t.” She replies.

“And you’re quoting who?”

Soojung gives Sehun a look. “Am I too childish that you can hardly believe me when I say something wise?”

Sehun laughs. “You said that, not me.”

She finally laughs. “I was quoting him.”

“I know. You should talk to him. If you let your ego win, then you’re already losing. I won’t do that if I were you. You’re not going to do that, aren’t you?”

Soojung shakes her head. “No, I won’t.”

“Good.”

+

Soojung calls Jongin later night.

“Jongin, where are you?”

“I’m here at the office. I’ll be heading home at two, though.”

“Oh. What time is your flight again?”

“8 p.m.”

“Oh, alright. Jongin,” and then she pauses as she wonders whether to continue with what she’s going to ask next or not. She comes out with a yes. “Is he... is he coming?”

“Who?” Jongin asks back.

She couldn’t help rolling her eyes. “you know who.”

“You know who? You mean, Lord Voldemort?” he playfully asks. “I thought Lord Voldemort’s died, isn’t he?”

Soojung takes a deep breath as she suppresses herself from being angry. “Kim Jongin, I don’t—“

“Alright, alright. God, UK the fun out of you. But, Soojung, I’m afraid he wouldn’t be able to make it. He’s not here now.”

Soojung furrows her eyebrows. “What do you mean ‘he’s not here now?’”

“He’s not here in California. He’s in Seoul. He went there... wait—“ this time it’s Jongin who has his eyebrows furrowed. “How come you don’t know? Didn’t he tell you or something?” and then another pause. “Did you guys fight again?”

Soojung goes silent for a moment. She grips the phone tightly as she digests the fact she just received in. “So he went to Seoul and he didn’t tell me.” And how does he expect her to be okay with that? Doesn’t he know that she’s worried as hell? That evening, when she came back after hanging out w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter