The hunted

Vraie obscurité

The sound of rustling leaves filled the quiet night as a figure darted past the trees, not once looking back, since he knew. He knew they were still there. The sharp snap of a twig echoed from behind him, once again alerting him of the dangers that may await if he even thought of slowing down. He sped up, not wanting to take any risks, and continued to maneuver his way through the dense forest. 

At that very moment, he didn't know how far they were from him, and he didn't want to. He didn't notice the ominous hooting of the owl that flew overhead, nor the wolf that howled loudly in the full moon. He didn’t care about any of that, he only cared about one thing -- he had to run. 

He had to survive.

Closer... Closer... Just a bit more... Just a short while more and he'd be safe. It was right in front of him. He picked up his pace and ran. Only a few more steps... 

Run...

Run...

Run...


The sudden impact of the fall wasn't registered immediately. It wasn't until a moment later when a sharp pain shot up his right leg that he realized what just happened. He let out a groan in pain as he tried to move his leg. Realisation hit him, as he glanced at the small bridge in front of him.

No, no no. This couldn't be happening. Not now, not right now. He was so close... He needed to go. To run.

To live.

He tried getting up again, panicking as he heard the rapid footsteps becoming louder and louder, but the second wave of pain that hit him was much more severe than the first, and he collapsed once again onto the forest floor. There was nothing left to do. He could only try harder. 

He reached out, his slender fingers curling around the grass, digging into the soil as he attempted to pull himself up yet again. It was most likely his only chance left. Either he succeeded, or... No. No stop. Don't think about it.

The footsteps were drawing closer. The shadows were getting nearer. 

No. 

He needed to get up.

He needed to run.

He needed to do it. He can. He would.

And he did. With one last spurt of energy, he lifted himself off the ground as much as he could and dragged himself painfully to the bridge, fingers digging into the ground for support. It didn't matter. The pain didn't matter.

All that mattered was getting to the other side. 

He was halfway across the bridge when he saw it.

The intricate silver outline of the mask, glistening under the moonlight. It was beautiful, elegant. And deadly.

That trademark gun, it's golden carvings looping like the coils of a snake circling it's prey.

Those familiar, dark brown orbs that stared at its prey with an intention to kill.

That evil, deadly smirk.


He needed to be faster. They were too close. 

He was too close.


Knowing that his life depended on it, he dragged himself to the other side, only narrowly escaping them. He turned his head around, smiling weakly in relief as he saw them pause in their steps.


“What’s the point of running away, when you know that in the end, you will only lose?” A cold voice snarled as his lips curved into a twisted smirk. 

“Exactly. Why not just end your suffering and come with us?" The other one, with the intricate gold mask voiced out, with a chilling grin. 

“Yes, I’m sure the others would love to have a new corpse for their collection of the hunted.” He cynically added, slightly evoking fear from the latter who was lying on the other side of the border.

"Why don't you try actually catching me first?" He retorted venomously, with all the strength that he had left.

"YAH YOU--" the one with the silver mask yelled before the other shot him a look, silencing him.

"I see you've got guts. Let’s see how brave you act when we one of these bullets pierces through your heart.” The other replied, pulling out his carved golden gun that gleamed in the moonlight threateningly.


"See you soon, Hangeng..." 

 


Sorry for the short chapter guys XD but we felt that it was nice too end off the chapter like that so hope you don't mind :D anyway hope you guys enjoyed reading and do drop us a comment if you can!! (We will love you forever!! ^^) please do subscribe and upvote if you can too please :D 

~ prom15e-to-13elieve and anon_XD