Episode 27: One long night

You Can't Fall For Mr. Perfect

Episode 27: One long night

 

(Jin’s POV)

 

“Minho… tell me please”

 

I was feeling my guts twisting, a great agony took over me and I felt like I was suffocating.

 

I never wanted such a thing to befall my parents... even when I wanted to punish them,

 

I wanted them to live long and fortunately, to witness my success in the life I chose.

 

“Why?” I was weeping “Why did you all leave me alone now why?” I buried my face in my palms.

 

“This is very harsh” Minho turned his back and walked out the room.

___________________________

 

(Hyun Jin’s POV)

 

“What’s wrong with you!? Hey! Wait for me!”

 

I was running toward the academy’s exit, So Ra tried to keep up with my scamper.

 

“Mr. Kim!” the guard stopped in my way and bowed at me.

 

“It’s ok!” So Ra was panting “We have permission to leave so do not worry”

 

“Y-Yes” he bowed as he opened the door for us.

 

“You really owe me a proper explanation you know?”

 

“I never asked you to come with me” I headed toward the gate, hoping to find any vacant taxis at this time.

 

“For God’s sake..” she grabbed my arm. “You think I came with you just because I’m nosy?”

 

I looked back at her:

 

“Wasn’t that your reason?”

 

She sighed heavily:

 

“You’re not as smart as I thought you were.. Look” she jiggled what looked like car-keys in her palm and smiled.

 

“You have a driving-license?”

 

“Humph, will you still look down at me now?” she winked at me. “Let’s go”

 

***

 

“Will we really be safe?” I fastened my seatbelt.

 

She was starting the car engine:

 

“Where are we heading?” she was setting the GPS.

 

“The metropolitan hospital… and don’t ask anything else!”

 

“Ok”

 

I hope we get there in one piece.

 

***

 

(15 minutes later)

 

We reached the hospital and I hurried to the reception and asked about Jin.

 

“Who’s that?” So Ra couldn’t stop asking me all kinds of questions.

 

“Stay out of my way, and you might find out eventually”

 

I strode in the hall checking the numbers of the rooms until I finally spotted Minho on a chair.

 

“Isn’t that your friend?” So Ra hurried to Minho but I stopped her and shook my head telling her not to interfere.

 

“Ok, as you wish” she folded her arms and sat calmly on a chair.

 

“Thanks”

 

I then headed toward Minho and sighed. He raised his face and his eyes widened before he immediately stood up and grabbed my collar:

 

“How could you do it?”

 

I shut my eyes and sighed, moving his hands away:

 

“Where is Jin?” his fierce glare made me halt.

 

“She’s inside” he shoved me lightly then lowered his head and stepped aside.

 

Seeing Minho like that only made me more scared, because a guy like him wouldn’t act weak, not in front of others.

 

I slid the door after taking a deep breath, then entered the room just to see a girl sobbing quietly in her palms.

 

“J-Jin?”

 

Is that really her?

 

I walked toward her almost in disbelief. I was bewitched by her fancy appearance and I never saw her dressed like that, but as soon as she raised her face, and as soon as I saw her reddish eyes and cheeks, I fell slowly on my knees before her.

 

“How… terrible” I reached my palm to touch her cheek, I wiped away her flowing tears and she stared at my face without saying a word.

 

“Say something… Jin…” My eyebrows went up as I bit my upper lip, and she didn’t say anything despite my pleading.

 

Maybe she already got rid of her feelings for me, and maybe I can’t be the one to ease her suffering.

 

I pulled my hands away from her face.

 

I should be satisfied after all, this is what I wanted…

 

I rose up and clenched my fists, trying to ignore the beating of my heart and turning on my heels to leave when:

 

“Don’t go!”

 

Her hands were wrapped around me and her head rested against my back:

 

“Remain by my side, at least for now”

 

I was left speechless, and she hugged me tighter.

 

“I know that you’re trying to protect me by acting cold and distant, I figured as much”

 

She knew?

 

But how?

 

“That night in the elevator… I wasn’t unconscious…” she said, adding to my puzzlement.

 

Then does it mean that.. she heard everything?

 

I recalled what I said back then,

 

“I won’t forgive myself if you were to suffer because of me Jin!” she yelled with a determined tone.   

 

That’s it, reason be damned I won’t listen to my mind for now!

 

I laid my hands on hers and released myself from their grip then turned to face her, meeting her keen gaze I nodded at her and enfolded her firmly.

 

“Cry as much as you want now…” I buried my nose in her hair. “But don’t do it in front of Minho from now onward”

 

She barely nodded and cried her heart out.

 

That’s right, let me absorb all the sorrow you’re feeling now… this is the least thing I can bid for you.

 

______________________________

 

(So Ra’s POV)

 

I looked at my golden watch and sighed. Already 5 minutes passed without him showing up.

 

“Did he perhaps fall asleep in there, that ungrateful idiot”

 

I was very bored so I observed my surroundings and spotted the guy who looked like he was about to punch my brother earlier.

 

I would give half my lifespan just to know what’s happening between Hyun Jin and that person…

 

 I gave it a short thought then made up my mind.

 

“If he’ll be upset, it’s not like he can do anything to me” I decided to take my chance and try talking with that boy.

 

“Um… excuse me?” I tried to sound as polite as I could.

 

“WHAT?” he shot me a deadly glare and retorted with a harsh tone.

 

“Tsk” I put my hands on my sides and snickered “How nice, and to think that I tried to be friendly”

 

“Nobody asked you to do it, just show me your true colors and don’t beat around the bush” he leaned back in his chair and put his hands in his pockets, giving me a nonchalant look.

 

How daring! This brat!

 

“Do you know who I am?” I asked with a snobby tone.

 

So far, no male could ever resist my charm and talk this low and cheekily to me.

 

“I don’t give a about it!” he responded with a loud voice that caught the attention of all the people of the room. I gulped and felt so furious.

 

“You little…” I grabbed his shirt “I’ll make you regret looking down on me!”.

 

Yes, a baby-faced brat like him must be taught a lesson!

 

He smirked and complied with my move. As I pulled him up to his feet, I found myself gaping.

 

“No way” I had to raise my face to be able to look at him.

 

This doesn’t make any sense! Why’s he so tall?!

 

He pushed my hands away and deepened his smirk:

 

“Why aren’t you saying anything now?” he asked teasingly

 

I blushed, and shoved him away,

 

He’s at least 2 years younger than me! I mustn’t feel this intimidated by him!

 

I cleared my throat:

 

“I’ll make it quick as you said, tell me what is your relationship with my brother?”

 

His eyes widened slightly and his smirk vanished.

 

Huh? What happened to him?

 

“Wait a minute… you want to tell me that…” he gripped my arms and looked me in the eyes “You’re not Hyun Jin’s girlfriend?!”

 

What?

 

“Do I look like someone who’s go for young guys?!” I was flustered and found myself blurting, “And besides, let go of me!” his grip was strong.

 

“It’s weird… you two don’t look alike at all that I never guessed” his face drew closer and closer to mine and I immediately backed-off, forcing him release my arms.

 

“W-What do you think you’re doing?!”

 

“I’m comparing your features with Hyun Jin’s”

 

To answer this boldly, I found myself at a loss of words.

 

“A-Anyways…” I blinked a few times, feeling taken aback. “Don’t think that you smartly dodged my question!”

 

“Oh, that?” he suddenly dropped the formalities in his speech. “Ask your brother directly, but now that I think of it…” he held his jaw and narrowed his eyes.

 

“S-Stay away!” I stretched my arm to stop him from coming close. “Don’t come any closer!”

 

“Don’t worry, you’re not even my type, I hate girls who act all haughty and especially spoiled princesses”

 

He’s driving me crazy! How shameless can he be to say this with no second thoughts?!

 

I gritted my teeth.

 

“If you don’t answer my questions, I won’t answer yours!” I pointed, using his same way of speech.

 

“I used to come to your family’s house often when Jin and I were kids, but I never saw you in there, not even for once" he started to speak formally, completely ignoring what I just said.

 

Is he doing this on purpose? Or does he have some kind of mental illness?

 

“Or maybe you were too absorbed in your princess-like room and spent the whole time playing with dolls?”

 

“I had never met my brother before I came to this academy a month ago!” I folded my arms, “I’m Jin’s half-sister, and he’s the son of my father’s second wife. I was brought up in France, and I only saw my father’s face in pictures…”

 

I found myself telling this stranger about my past.

 

“And for 18 years, I lived with my mother and step-father, knowing that my real dad got married with another woman and that they had a kid so I gave up on the idea of seeing my parents reunite once again” I sighed “But you know? I didn’t dislike the idea of having a younger sibling, and Hyun Jin was a nice person who looked like dad, so I… eventually loved him as a real brother”

 

I smiled as I remembered our first meeting a month ago, when I thought it was weird for my father to make me share a room with a guy who suddenly became my brother but then found out how adorable and dependable he was.

 

“I don’t know why you’re telling me all of this stuff when I only asked whether you were his sister for real or-“

 

I cut him mid-sentence:

 

“Wasn’t this an answer to your question you jerk?!” I yelled, “Since you’re Hyun Jin’s friend, you should know more about his family, so don’t misinterpret my intentions!”

 

He grimaced:

 

“Sorry to disappoint you but… your brother and I aren’t friends anymore”

 

Oh my goodness. I covered my mouth and gasped.

 

I really made an idiot out of myself!

 

I started to laugh, feeling awkward suddenly:

 

“Then forget all of what you heard, hehe, no, just pretend you and I never spoke to one another from the start!”

 

I should’ve believed the saying that curiosity killed the cat.

 

I was about to go back to where Hyun Jin left me but then the door of the closest room slid making both me and the rude guy stand up at once:

 

“Hyun… Jin?” I saw him carrying a girl on his back.

 

“What happened to Jin?” the guy hurried to my brother, and I was a bit perplexed.

 

“She’s just asleep, don’t worry” Hyun Jin said with a smile.

 

“That’s a relief” the guy sighed heavily.

 

“But you won’t need to worry about that anymore”

 

“Huh? Did you possibly… make up with Jin?”

 

Could Jin be the name of that girl?

 

“That’s right, and I’m not planning to leave her side again, so you better stay away from her”

 

“Humph, as arrogant as usual”

 

I watched the two of them argue but somehow, they were smiling to each other instead of glaring so I was even more confused.

 

“So Ra!” I jerked as I heard my brother’s voice. “Let’s go back”

 

I nodded at him, and he looked at the other guy:

 

“You should come with us too Minho”

 

Huh?

 

“I’ll consider it an apology for the headache that your sister caused me.” He clasped his hands behind his head and stuck his tongue out at me.

 

“What?” I turned to Hyun Jin “You want me to allow someone as impolite and mannerless as him to ride with us?”

 

Hyun Jin laughed for some reason.

 

“You should know that you owe me two favors now…" I said in defeat.

 

“Haha yes your highness” he scoffed and I tried to conceal my smile.

 

***

 

“Maybe it’s safer for me to drive” Minho sat beside me in the front.

 

“It’s my car so I’m the only one who’s allowed to drive it!” I phrased slowly and made it clear. “Hyun Jin, why didn’t you sit in his place? What if he does something reckless and get us in an accident?!” I whined.

 

“That's why I'm telling you to let me drive!”

 

“Shut up! You don’t even have a driving-license!”

 

Hyun Jin was just covering his mouth and giggling silently.

 

“If someone as dimwit and naïve as you could have one then I definitely can drive!”

 

I started the car engine,

 

“Hey, wait, I didn’t fasten my seatbelt yet!” he was looking around in a hustle.

 

“It’s your fault for wasting the time arguing with your senior” I shrugged as I steered the car making him lose his balance and fall to the side, bumping his head on the window's glass lightly.

 

“I’m telling you, if anything happens to my handsome face, you’ll regret it!” He threatened with a shaking voice.

 

What a narcissist! I can't believe he's Hyun Jin's friend!

 

***To be continued...