Episode 23: ~Irreplaceable~

You Can't Fall For Mr. Perfect

Episode 23: ~Irreplaceable~

 

(Jin’s POV)

 

I was very worried about Jin, hoping that he would get better especially since he didn’t show up for few days in class and today is the beginning of the 2nd week for us in this academy.

 

The hardest thing though is… me adapting to wearing these kind of clothes!

 

Still thinking that I should find out how my clothes were switched in the first place and it meant that I had to retrieve my phone and call my father but then remembering that it also meant that I had to visit Jin again…

 

So eventually, I chickened and gave up on the whole idea.

 

I tried to wear the most casual clothes and even go for plain colors but I noticed that my classmate’s attitude towards me has slightly changed. I was getting cheerful greetings and saw many faces beaming at me, and that made me feel more awkward than before.

 

“Good morning Jin~” Minho was as cheerful and lively as usual. “We’re supposed to perform our song today right?”

 

Yes, and I almost forgot about it, because we finished everything early and practiced repeatedly in class with the provided instruments so I didn't put too much thoughts into it.

 

“Right, and more importantly, the test results will be revealed today” I held my jaw.

 

“Wow, to know that we only did the exams last week… whew, they ain’t going easy on us!” he shook his head.

 

“Ah! It’s Jin!”

“Yay! He’s back!”

 

Some girls started to squeal and everyone’s sight was directed to the door.

 

My heart started to beat fast as I saw Jin coming in with his bag on his shoulder. He was smiling at the small crowd of classmates that gathered around him and he was walking through them looking around until our eyes met shortly.

 

I was raising my hand to wave but then he looked away. I lowered my palm and then my head feeling a tingle of melancholy lingering in me.

 

“Don’t allow him to ruin your mood” Minho’s hand rested on my head and my hair.

 

I nodded, still looking down at my textbook.

 

“And don’t cry” he added with a stern voice.

 

“Good morning everyone!” the teacher entered with a clap of her hands “I hope you’re prepared to have fun!”

 

“Yes!” we said at the same time.

 

“Great!” she laughed “Oh, Mr. Kim, I am glad to see you again!”

 

He stood up and bowed his head slightly saying:

 

“I apologize for not being able to attend class”

 

“Haha, it’s ok! As long as you’re doing fine” she then shifted her gaze around to the other students. “Then I guess, expect for Mr. Kim, all of you are ready to show me what your creative minds came up with, right?”

 

She started to look at her papers and then called for the first pair.

 

I don’t know if I’m ready to do this…

 

The teacher looked so satisfied with the performances so far, and now she called at Minho and I, with us being the last pair apparently.

 

“We can do it!” he encouraged, shaking his clenched fist as he picked up an accrostic guitar and I seated myself in front of the piano.

 

I peeked secretly at the eager faces of the classmates but I aimed my gaze at that one and only person, the one whom I wanted to have the same expression as everyone else, and yet he was looking from the window completely disinterested.

 

I bit my lip, looked at the musical sheets and my fingers rested on the keyboard as I took a deep breath.

 

I composed this melody thinking about you…

 

“Our song is entitled -Irreplaceable-” Minho said.

 

And I started to play, and so did Minho, who started to sing with a deep voice that even I got slightly taken aback by it. It sounded better and more serious than back when we practised.

 

The lyrics made my heart wobble, as I glanced at Minho who was closing his eyes. Then he fell silent, and so did his guitar with only my piano’s melody carrying on the last part which was for me to chant.

 

“Even when you ignore me,

Deny my existence,

To me you’ll always be~”

 

My vision became blurry finally as the last word came out of my mouth:

 

“Irreplaceable”

 

As the music halted at the end, the room fell into a deep silence, and I quickly started to wipe away my stupid tears then went to stand beside Minho to hear the teacher’s remark, not brining myself to raise my face.

 

“Oh my goodness, that was very very beautiful!” she sniffled, but kept applauding. “Especially you, Jin!”

 

Huh? Me?

 

 I looked at her in denial but she nodded:

 

“Unlike what it seemed, your voice is too beautiful!” she bluntly pointed, “And I personally never guessed that you can play the piano that well!”

 

“That’s not fair! I sang the whole thing and you only compliment her?!” Minho feigned irritation.

 

“Haha, oh please, you’re always singing to the girls so I pretty much knew that you’re that good” she laughed, making him look embarrassed “But I like this song and you did very well for beginners”

 

We bowed slightly before we went back to our seats.

 

He did not react huh…

 

Jin was on the same pose, staring at the window.

 

***

 

“Let’s go and check the rankings together!”

 

“Ok” I forced a cheerful smile.

 

We left the classroom and saw many students gathering around the board.

 

“Yay! I got a high score!”

“Oh no, I failed!”

“Great!”

“Oh… I should’ve revised!”

 

The reactions of the students were different indeed.

 

“I wanna see too!” Minho pulled my hand and walked through the small crowd until the board came into view. “Let’s see…” he held his jaw.

 

I myself wanted to check it out although I knew that my score won’t be that good judging from the situation in which I had to sit for the exam.

 

“Ah! Here I am!” Minho exclaimed “Eleventh! Great!” he started to jump around in joy.

 

I kept looking for my name but…

 

“What about you?” He wrapped his arm around my shoulder as he followed with his index finger the names on the list “Jin, Jin, Jin…”

 

My eyes widened, seeing my name crossed on the very bottom of the list.

 

“No… way” I blinked. “It can’t be…”

 

Minho’s finger slid to the last name and he let out a loud gasp:

 

“What the..?!”

 

I was too shocked to speak.

 

“But you…” he blinked “You’re smarter than…”

 

I covered my face.

 

“I should’ve done better I think” I let out a sigh.

 

It’s ok, we’re still in the beginning of the year, I can definitely do better next time.

 

I reassured myself but then Minho yelled:

 

“Wait…” he paused “No ing way!”

 

His tone of voice surprised me, and I found myself looking at where he aimed his finger:

 

“Y-Your score!” his voice shook.

 

Huh?

 

“It’s… way higher than mine!” he blurted “No, rather… it’s higher than everyone else!”

 

I couldn’t believe my eyes, my score was 680/700…?!

 

“This doesn’t make any sense, you’re supposed to be first… not last!” he was very frustrated.

 

“But why… did they cross my name out?” I was lost.

 

“Let’s go” he patted my shoulder “Let’s go and meet the teacher”

 

“But…” I didn’t want to make a fuss about it.

 

“You should ask her about it!”

 

“It’s fine” I sighed “Maybe my father asked them to do it”

 

It might be true. After all, he didn’t send me here for the sake of studying only.

 

“Are you sure?” he seemed doubtful

 

“Yes, I’m certain, I mean… as long as my score is high, I don’t need to be recognized among other students or to make myself some rivals here and there…” I laughed.

 

“Ok then, I guess…” he ended up nodding.

 

“I’m starving, let’s go and eat something.” I suggested.

 

***

 

Another week passed. But the good thing is that clubs were open and are looking for members!

 

“What do you think?” Minho and I were in the elevator and he had a pamphlet in his hand.

 

“Of course I’m going for Martial Arts!” I answered excitedly.

 

He raised a brow at my statement:

 

“Really? And I thought you finally came to your senses and accepted your feminine side” he heaved a sigh.

 

“Haha! That has nothing to do with me being a girl!” I defended.

 

“Yeah right”

 

“And what did you pick Minho?” I was curious to know, or let’s say I already guessed but wanted to confirm it.

 

“I’m choosing Arts.” he said.

 

“You mean Martial Arts right?”

 

“No, Fine Arts”

 

“HUH?!” did I hear him right?

 

“Haha, I know you’re surprised” he flicked my forehead “But I really am serious”

 

“'You sure it has nothing to do with the high percentage of female members?” I pretty much knew it did.

 

“Aww, Jin is very smart indeed!” he s his arm around my neck and started to rub his fist against my head.

“Let’s see if you really deserve to be join the MA club!”

 

“L-Let go! Or you’ll regret it!” I warned.

 

“Hahaha!” he was having a great time teasing me.

 

The elevator stopped at the 5th floor and the door opened.

 

I froze as I saw the guy who just came in, it was Jin.

 

“Oh, now isn’t this our dear classmate?” Minho didn’t let go of my head, and instead pulled me even closer to him.

 

Jin stared at the roof and leaned his back on the wall ignoring him completely and putting on his earbuds.

 

He always chooses the worst time to show up.

 

“Humph,” Minho shrugged “Let’s continue then!”

 

I low-kicked him, and he bent down, groaning in pain.

 

“I told you that you’ll regret it”

 

“I thought you were joking!” he spoke among his gritted teeth “And this really hurts!”

 

I might had went a bit too far with the kick because a part of me blamed Minho for what happened to Jin and me.

 

***To be continued..