Just us

"What's the difference of Love and Like?"

"Oppa!" I exclaimed a little loudly. "Yong Oppa!" I panic. What am I supposed to do? It's almost past midnight. The lobby is deserted.

 

Oppa's head was on my shoulder but his weight was not fully on me. He is standing on his feet but I feel him shake and shiver, his cold body pressing against the thick cloths of my coat.

 

"Don't shout." I hear him murmur. "I'm alive Juhyun."

 

I let out a long breath, and despite the situation, I feel him smile. "Is there something nice here?" I ask, trying to keep my voice down. "Oppa, you're as cold as ice."

 

"Help me stand straight." He says, letting go of my arms as I help him. His knees shake every time he uses effort to proper himself. 

 

"What happened?" I ask anxiously the moment he had stood up straight, though he leans on me for balance.

 

"Get me to the car." He says, ignoring my question. I look at him questioningly. When he sees me, he smiles and responds, "To my car. At the back door."

 

We walked like that, him leaning me, oblivious to the eyes of people. 

--

 

As soon as we get in his car, and I settled him in his seat, he turned the heater on. And I sat on the seat beside him and waited for him to talk.

 

Minutes have passed and all I could hear was his ragged breathing.

 

"My brothers are in Busan. We're all supposed to be in Busan for three days and today, but I said I'll go ahead." 

 

I look at him, whose daze was outside but turned to face me as well. "Why?" I ask him.

 

"So I could watch your interview with hyung." He smiles, satisfied with his actions. "I drove all the way from Busan to get here, alone."

 

I feel my heart swell. So he was the one who requested. It's a good thing I didn't say no. 

 

"It will be aired on the 29th." He says, interrupting my thoughts. "August 29." He repeats.

 

I smile. Of course, how could I forget? "It's been 3 years." I say, thinking out loud. 

 

"Yeah." He agrees.

 

"But, why are you sick?" I ask.

 

"Juhyun-ah, why are you asking so many questions?" He asks playfully, but answers me anyway. "I don't know. I've lost my appetite, I couldn't sleep, my sugar's dropping." 

 

"Are you depressed?" I interrupt.

 

"Was." He inhales slowly, "Until tonight." He smiles quietly as he marvels in his thoughts. "Don't you feel weird and awkward if we talk like this? I mean, in person? Privately, no cameras, no managers, no images to protect, just us."

 

"I like it." I say without thinking. "It's been a while since we had this talk. And I like it a lot."

 

"Me too." He says in my surprise.

 

"Hyun-ie." He blurts out in a moment of silence.

 

"Hm?"

 

"Your hand." He requests. "Let me hold it until I sleep."

 

I couldn't say no. I rest my right hand on his as his other hand covered mine. "You're always denying it." Though his voice is soft, it shouts with hurt.

 

Even though he's not mentioning it, I know that he is talking about me denying that I had and have feelings for him during WGM in my interviews. 

 

I had to explain. "It's not that I want to, but the company obliges me to. You know the truth more though."

 

"The company obliges me too." He says. "But I admit it anyway."

 

"Sorry." I say. "Sorry I'm not as strong and as bold as you are. I'm scared that I will let my unnies down." His grip tightens, telling me that it's okay. 

 

"But your tongue slipped in "The Beatles Code." He shifts his position so his back leans on the door. "You mentioned your first love, and during our WGM you didn't have one." He smiles triumphantly. 

 

"Hah," I laugh mockingly. I feel his hands that was once ice cold slowly heats itself up. "Are you feeling better?" 

 

"I think so." He answers sincerely as he shut his eyes. "I missed you Juhyun-ah... It took me 3 years to hold your hand again, to say my late confession." His breathing slowy evens, "I'm sorry to make you wait for so long."

 

I can't answer him. I don't know how. The moment I hear his even breathing gave me relief, knowing that he's already asleep. I gave his hand a last tight squeeze and slowly and silently, I open my door. Just as I was about to yank it wide, I feel cold hands wrap around my wrist. "Why can't you answer me Juhyun-ah," he didn't bother opening his eyes. "Just one response is enough. Don't go just yet."

 

I feel my heart beat fast. His grip was too tight for his sick body. Where on earth does he get such strength? 

 

I let the silence envelop us for a moment until I find courage to say what I've been wanting to say. 

 

"Oppa?" I call out to him, checking if he fell asleep in the span of time in silence.

 

No answer. I try again. I tap his hand lightly.

 

"Oppa?"

 

"Hm?" 

 

"I'll wait for you. May it be another 3 years," I say carefully and softly. "I promise. I'll hold on to you. Promise me then, that you'll hold onto us no matter how long it takes?"

 

"Promise." He says without hesitation.

 

I feel his grip loosen and I open the door once again. "Juhyun-ah."

 

"Oppa?"

 

"Thanks." He whispers. "I'll call you."

 

I nod as I hop off his car. I walked straight, to the dark alleys, the shortcut my unnies told me, where Yong Oppa's car was facing. 

 

Light suddenly sprouted from behind, revealing an uncovered manhole. If it wasn't for the light I would've drowned myself in there. It's then that I realized, it was the headlights of Oppa's car. 

 

My phone vibrated. He sent a text message. /Watch where you're going./

 

The light was there until I reached an alley turning right, where our new dorm was on sight. 

 

Another text. 

 

/Good night, Juhyun-ah./