Let's Talk about Us

Wedding Dress

Chapter 9 – LET’S TALK ABOUT US

 

Chaerin’s POV

 

“Congratulations graduates.”

Finally, I graduated. All of the hard works, stress, everything are all worth it because finally I already have my degree.

“Unnieeee.” I heard Minzy scream making her way to me.

“Minzy.” I said and we hugged each other.

“Congratulations to us.” She said.

“Yes. I’m so happy.” I said and she nod.

“Can I join?” I heard someone say.

“Oppaaaa.” I screamed and hugged him. He chuckled.

“We made it.” He said.

“Yeah, we all made it.” I said.

“Group hug.” Minzy exclaimed and we hugged.

“Let’s take a picture unnie.”

“Okay.”

Minzy took out her camera and took a picture of us.

“Oppa, let’s have a group picture.”

“Okay.”

“Smile.”

“I have to go to my parents.” Said Minzy.

“Okay.” I said.

“Chaerinnie, my mom is calling me.” said Youngbae-oppa.

“Alright.” I nod.

I made it. I survived college. Finally.

“Chaerin.” My father-in-law called.

“Dad.” I said and hugged him.

“Our daughter made it.” Said my mother-in-law and hugged me.

“Mom.”

“I know your mommy and daddy are so proud of you.” Said Mom. I smiled. I know they’re proud of me. I made it.

“You still have your board exam. Make sure to pass it.” Said Jiyong-oppa. Aish. Can he just congratulate me? Tss.

“Alright, let’s take a picture.” Said Dad.

“Okay.” Mom took the camera and pictured me and Dad.

“Alright, my turn.” Mom said. Dad took the camera.

“Smile.” Dad said and took a picture.

“Alright, the three of us.” Mom said.

“You take our picture Jiyong.” Said Dad and handed Jiyong-oppa the camera. Mom stood at my right side and Dad at the left.

“Smile.” Said Jiyong-oppa and took our picture.

“Alright, the two of you.” Mom said. Oppa stood beside me and put his arm on my back pulling me closer to him. And I’m grinning.

“Smile.” Said Dad and took our picture.

“Congratulations Chaerinnie.” Said Mom.

“Thank you Mom.”

“Okay, let’s go.” Said Dad.

“Where to? Dad.” I asked.

“To your celebration.” Dad answered.

“Okay.” I clapped.

“I’m sorry I can’t join you, I have an appointment.” Jiyong-oppa said.

“Appointment? I thought you cancelled all of your appointments today.” Mom said.

“It’s urgent. I have to go.” He said and left. At least a simple ‘congratulations’ oppa before leaving will do.

“It’s okay, Chaerin. He’ll make it up to you.” Mom assured. I wish he would.

 

 

********

 

 

“To our Chaerinnie.” Dad said and raised his glass.

“Congratulations dear.” Mom said.

“Cheers.” I said and we clink our glasses. We’re here at the restaurant to celebrate my graduation. I wish Jiyong-oppa is here.

 

 

********

 

 

I took off my graduation robe and lay on my bed. I took my phone to check if there are missed calls or messages but there’s nothing. Minzy and Youngbae-oppa must be busy. I’ll just call them later. I stare at the ceiling. Now what to do Chaerin? I raised my feet and took off my shoes when my phone rings. Jiyong-oppa?

“Hello?” I greeted.

[Chaerin.]

“Oppa.”

[Where are you?]

“I’m in my room lying on my bed.”

[Are you tired?]

“Nope, not really.” I find his question sweet. I can’t help but giggle.

[Good. Get dressed. I’ll pick you up at 7.]

“7? 7 o’clock?” I asked.

[Yes.] He said and hangs up.

He’ll pick me up at 7? Why? He wants me to get dressed. Omo. Don’t tell me we have a date? I stood up immediately and went in my walk-in-closet. I’m still wearing my white dress I wore earlier for graduation. Should I keep it or should I change? I checked the time on my watch, it’s 6:30. I only have thirty minutes left. What to do now? I looked at my reflection on the full length mirror. I like my dress. It matches the shoes I wore earlier. Alright, I’ll just keep it this way. Besides, he’s the one who bought this for me. He’ll be glad if he saw me wearing it, right? But, all of my clothes are from him. Aish. Nevermind. I walk into my room and put my shoes back. I took my purse and my phone on my bed and made my way downstairs.

“Oh Chaerinnie.”

“Hi Mom.” I said. Mom looked at me from head to toe. “Oppa called me earlier. He said he’ll pick me up.” I continued answering her unspoken query. I saw her smile.

“See? I told you he’ll make it up to you.” She beamed. I smiled. I hear a sound of a car outside. I think that’s him. I looked at the door and I saw him emerged. He’s still wearing his outfit a while ago. He looks stunning.

“Mom.” He said and kissed Mom on her cheek.

“I can see you two have a date huh.” Said Mom. Oppa didn’t say a word and just looked at me.

“Let’s go.” He said.

“Okay. Bye Mom.”

“Bye.” Mom said and I kissed her on her cheek.

“Enjoy.” Mom said and waved her hand.

We made our way to his car and he opened the door for me. I can see he’s a gentleman tonight.

“Thanks” I said and hopped in. He made his way inside and started the engine and off we go.

Now that it’s just the two of us. I think this is the right time for me to discuss it to him. I sighed. Break a leg Chaerin.

 

 

********

 

 

He made a reservation in a restaurant. There are only few customers here and I can see the other customers are on their dresses and tuxedos. So this is an expensive place huh. Elegant I should say.

The waiter arrived bringing our food. They served steamed salmon with asparagus and hollandaise sauce. The waiter offered a wine but oppa said no. He ordered an iced tea instead.

I finished my food and put the fork and knife in 10 o’clock. I took a sip on my iced tea and inhaled deeply and then exhaled. Alright Chaerin, this is it.

“Oppa.” I started. He looked at me. “Thank you, for this dinner.” I continued.

“You’re welcome. Happy graduation.” He said and smiled at me. He smiled at me. He smiled at me! How can I continue this?

“Oppa.” I said. Go Chaerin you can do it.

“What?”

“Thank you, for everything.” I said looking at him. He narrowed his brows. “I’m so grateful that your parents adopted me. I’m so grateful for having you.” I continued. He narrowed his eyes even more. “I just want you to know that.. that.. that if you want to.. if you want to.. if.. if you want to end this.. if.. if you no longer want.. if.. if you want to..”

“What?” he asked cocking his eyebrow. Just say it Chaerin. Say it.

“If.. if you want to end what’s with us.. if.. if you want us to be.. if you want to break what’s between the two of us then..”

“What are you saying?” I can see he’s confused. Just finish your sentence Chae.

“If you want to break our marriage then you can. It’s fine. It’s okay with me.” I finished. There. I exhaled deeply. I looked down so I couldn’t see his face. This is it Chaerin. This is the final judgement. I clasped my hands. I’m shuddering. There was a long period of silence. What now?

“Are you saying that if I ask for divorce then it’s fine with you? You’ll willingly agree?” he asked. I nod still looking down.

“If we separate, what will you do?” he asked. I looked at him. He’s leaning on his chair crossing his arms and cocking both his eyebrow and his head. What will I do?

“I will.. I will settle in a different place, look for a job and-“

“Where?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe-“

“You don’t know?”

“Well…”

“We’ll get divorced. Because we’re no longer married ofcourse you’ll leave the house, and where will you settle? Where will you apply for a job?”

“I.. I don’t know yet-“

“You don’t know yet? You don’t know yet.” He said.

“I’ll-“

“I made a reservation here, give you a dinner date to celebrate with you and this is what I’ll hear from you?” He exclaimed.

“Oppa..”

“After everything? My parents adopted you. Your in-laws. They raised you like their own child and then what? You will just leave them?”

“No, it’s not that. I-“

“I gave you everything, everything you need. And this is what I’ll hear from you?” he asked glaring at me with his voice raised.

“Oppa..”

“Is this your plan all along? To leave us after everything? Tell me. You planned everything right?”

“No. It’s not that. I-“

“You say it’s okay with you if I ask for divorce? That you would willingly agree?”

“Op-“

“Is this how grateful you are? For having me?” He exclaimed. He’s mad. I swear he’s mad.

“Oppa..”

“Tell me, are you seeing someone?” he asked and leaned against the table.

“What?” My eyes widen.

“Are you with someone else?” he continued.

“What? No. I’m not seeing anybody.”

“Then why do you want a ing divorce?” he said shouting at me. I just looked at him. I couldn’t utter a word. How can I say it? Speak Chaerin, for God’s sake.

“Let’s go.” He said and stood up. Huh? “We’re going home.” He continued. I stood up immediately and hold my purse. We made our way outside and into his car.

“Get in.” he said opening the door for me. I did as I was told. He made his way inside and started the engine and off we go.

He focused himself on the road and he’s driving so fast. Oh God, please guide us on our way home. I still want to live.

He stopped the car and unbuckled his self. We’re home, safe and sound. Thank God. I unbuckle myself. He made his way out and opened the door for me and I get off.

We entered the house and I saw Mom in the living room.

“Oh, you’re here. How’s your dinner?” Mom greeted.

“Hi Mom.” I greeted.

“Mom.” Oppa greeted.

“Jiyong, how was your date?” Mom asked smiling at both of us.

“Is my room clean?” Oppa asked ignoring Mom’s question.

“Yes, why?” Mom replied.

“I’m staying.” He said and made his way upstairs. He’s what?

 

 

********

 

 

Here I am again, staring at the ceiling. I was really happy before I left and then here I am. What have you done Chaerin? I sighed. I just want him to know that if he wants to break free from our marriage then it’s fine. I’ll agree. I don’t want him to be responsible for me all his life. He doesn’t like me. He doesn’t want me. But, why is his reaction like that? Why is he mad? He didn’t want us to get divorced? Could it be that he somehow has feelings for me? He’s so confusing. Heol.

What a day. What a night. Heol. I stood up and went into the bathroom and took off my dress and my shoes. I put on my bathrobe and made my way in my room. I took my iPod and connected it to the stereo and hit the high volume. I looked for a song and there, I saw it. Party in the USA. The beat started and I hit the replay.

~

I hopped off the plane at L.A.X with a dream and my cardigan

Welcome to the land of fame, excess, whoah! am I gonna fit in?

~

I went to the bathroom and took off my robe and my undergarments. I stepped inside the glass covered shower room and opened the shower. My shower is just beside my bath tub. It’s only separated by glass walls. No shower curtains.

~

So I put my hands up they’re playin' my song

The butterflies fly away

I'm noddin’ my head like Yeah!

Movin’ my hips like Yeah!

~

The feeling of the water falling and splashing from my head down to my body is really relaxing. I moved my body to the beat of the music.

~

Got my hands up they’re playin' my song

And now I’m gonna be okay

Yeah! It’s a party in the USA!

~

“Chaerin!”

~

Yeah! It’s a party in the USA!

~

“Chaerin!”

Huh?

Is someone calling my name? I closed the shower and listened carefully.

“Chaerin your music is so loud it-“

I saw Jiyong oppa.. Wearing his white shirt and his pajamas.. staring at me through the glass wall.. and me looking at him.. inside the shower room.. nak-

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

D x