Can You Keep A secret?

Wedding Dress

Chapter 1 – Can You Keep A Secret?

 

Chaerin’s POV

 

“Hey unnie, what’s your plan tonight?” Minzy greeted. We’re here at the coffee shop near SNU. It’s our free time.

“Nothing.” I replied and took my phone out. No missed calls. No text messages.

“Don’t you have plans with Youngbae-oppa?” she asked wearing her grin.

“Youngbae-oppa? Why would I have plans with him?”

“Aren’t you guys dating?”

“What? No.” I exclaimed.

“Really? ‘Cause that’s what everybody thinks.” She said.

“We’re just friends.” I assured. Seriously? How can they think about that?

“I think he’s into you.” She said and took a mouthful of her muffin.

“That’s impossible.” I replied and she just shrugged.

I’m an Accountancy student and Minzy is in Business Administration. We’re both 4th year students. We’re graduating soon. Hopefully.

“Wow, seriously?” Minzy exclaimed holding a magazine.

“What is that?” I asked.

“Seoul’s richest bachelor at the age of 24? Wow.” She said.

“Huh? Who?” I asked.

“Kwon Jiyong.” She replied and handed me the magazine she was reading, and there I saw him, wearing his black Armani suit leaning against his y white Lamborghini. I think the article is about him. I handed her the magazine and took a sip of my Macchiato.

“Isn’t he wunderkind? Wow. And he’s so handsome.” Minzy said full of admiration.

“Yeah, he is.”

“He’s the rumored boyfriend of Sandara Park. You know that famous actress under YG Entertainment?” she asked glancing at me.

“Yeah, he owns the company.”

“For real? This hot guy here owns that big company?”

“Yeah.” I nodded.

“That explains it.” She said.

I heard about him dating that girl. I wonder if it’s true. If it is, well, what’s new?

“The girl he would marry will be very lucky.” She continued. Lucky huh?

“I don’t think so.” I replied.

“Huh? How can you say that? He’s over the top and he’s so hot, like sizzling hot. Look at him. Isn’t he dreamy? He’s a Greek god.” She said with daydream eyes on her face.

“She’s lucky if he loves her.” I replied.

“Ofcourse she is. Besides, why would he marry someone he doesn’t love?” she said.

Yeah, Minzy is right. I keep on asking myself that question for the past 3 years and yet I still don’t get an answer. Why did he agree to the arrangement? Why did he say yes? Why did he say those two words that day? Is it because he really wants the idea of it? Or maybe because he was just forced to do it? Or he just doesn’t care. I don’t know. I never got the chance to talk to him and ask him about it.

“Hey unnie. Are you listening to me?” Minzy said snapping me out of my reverie.

“Come again?” I asked.

“I said it’s Friday night. Let’s go out.”

“Sorry, I’ll pass.” I said. I don’t feel like going out tonight.

“Aish. Seriously? Get a life unnie.” She said and rolled her eyes at me.

“Life? Life what?”

“Life as in have some fun. Look at you, you’re 21 and you’re still single. If you keep being like that then you’ll die . Seriously unnie.” She said and I laughed at her.

“Seriously Minzy?”

“Seriously unnie. Look, if you have no interest with Youngbae-oppa then why don’t you go out with those guys who’s been trying so hard to get your attention. I’m sure if you just spend some time with them then you’ll like at least one of them, eventually. And soon you’ll have a boyfriend. Though, I really like Yongbae-oppa for you. Really.” She said and I laughed.

“No thanks. Besides, I can’t.” I said and looked her in the eyes.

“Huh? What do you mean you can’t?” she asked.

Should I tell her? We’ve been friends since we got into college. Can I trust her?

“Can you keep a secret?” I asked and leaned against the table. She cocked her eyebrow at me.

“What is it?” she asked full of curiosity.

“Can I trust you?” I asked and looked at her with serious face.

“Unnie, we’re bestfriends. You’re really asking me that?”

“I’m serious.” I said.

“Ofcourse.” She replied.

Okay, here goes…

“I’m married.” I said. She stared at me for seconds and she bursted out laughing.

“That’s what’s serious huh?” she said between her laughs.

“I’m serious Minzy.” I said and she stopped laughing.

“Are you serious right now?” she asked and I nod. “For real? How? When? With whom?” she continued. I took the magazine on the table and showed him the page she was reading a while ago. She looked at it and at me. And then she laughed.

“Unnie, I know I know. I understand. We’re both delusional. That’s why we’re bestfriends.” She said chuckling.

“I’m serious.” I said and she looked at me wide-eyed.

“Seriously?” she exclaimed. “How?”

“You know my parents?”

“Yeah, the one who adopted you.” She replied.

“They’re his parents. My in-laws.” I said and pointed at Jiyong’s face on the page.

“They’re what?!” she exclaimed.

“Low down your voice. You’ll get everyone’s attention.” I said and looked at the customers inside the coffee shop.

“Omo, seriously?” she continued.

“Yeah, we got married when I was 18.”

“What? That was in first year college. You’ve been married for three years?” she asked and I nod. “Wow. I can’t believe it. That’s why you don’t even show interest to anybody huh, because you already have a hot husband.” She said grinning at me. “But wait, if you’re married then what’s with the rumors about him and Sandara Park?” she asked. I looked at her and half-smiled.

“He doesn’t love me.” I said.

“What? But you’re married-“

“It’s an arranged marriage.” I continued. She just looked at me and didn’t say a word. “Yeah.” I nod.

“I’m sorry unnie.” She said and looked at me with a sad face.

“It’s okay.” I smiled and she frowns. “I’m going to ask for divorce anyway.”

“What?”

“He doesn’t love me. He’s with someone else.”

“But- When?” she asked.

“After I graduate.”

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

D x