Car-pe diem

Baby, Maybe?


“This is crazy complicated!” Seunghyun complained, only his bottom visible out the back door of the car, wiggling with his every move. “How the heck do people figure this out?!? Is this like a test whether you're smart enough to be a parent? Like oh no, you can't install a baby car seat? Oh well, then you'll have to give the baby back! Return to sender.” he spat out of frustration. 

“Give it here, I'll take a look. I think she wants you anyway, she's not really into me...” Jiyong instructed while battling to keep Soonie in his arms, she was trying every tactic in the book to get out of the death grip in which she apparently thought she was caught. He wasn't sure why, but it made him a tiny bit sad. It was silly really. Getting bummed over a rejection from a baby, how pathetic was that?

“Aaah!!!” was heard from inside the car and Seunghyun popped out with the most annoyed expression he had ever seen. “Sooo... that came off.” he commented nonchalantly on the piece of black plastic that lay in his hand. “What is it?” Jiyong tried to make out a shape, to imagine what part of the seat it was, but came up completely empty. Seunghyun just shrugged, “No idea.” he frowned, shaking his head with a low incredulous chuckle. “Do you think it's important?” Jiyong wondered out loud, trying to figure out whether they were completely screwed or not. “Mmm.. let's just say... not.” Seunghyun chuckled again, but a lot brighter this time, throwing the piece over his shoulder, theatrically pretending that it didn't exist. Jiyong couldn't help but giggle too. How did the two of them end up with a baby? What a bad, bad idea.

 

Jiyong kept his eyes glued on Soonie the whole way over to Seunghyun's house. He didn't trust his own handiwork with the baby car seat, his stomach jumping at every twist and turn of the road, praying that the seat would stay put. How did people do this? This having a kid thing was way too much responsibility. This tiny little human being was dependent on him for everything, she was counting on him knowing all the answers, clueless of the fact that he didn't have a single one.

He was so relieved when they finally turned into the parking lot of Seunghyun's place that he let out an audible sigh. "You've gotta relax, man. You can't be this wound up for two straight months, you'll go crazy for sure!" Seunghyun pointed out as he smoothly parked the car. He was the one to talk, it wasn't like he was going to take any responsibility for Soonie. Jiyong wasn't delusional, even though he had forced Seunghyun into this with him and was about to hijack his home and make it into Baby Central, he knew Seunghyun would at best play the role of fun daddy. All the other stuff would fall on him and him alone, and he was beginning to feel the weight of it on his shoulders.

He got out of the car and mindlessly shut the door, he was still distracted by the mountain of thoughts crowding his mind. "Noooo, don't close the door, it self-locks!!" Seunghyun shouted, but he was too late, Jiyong had already closed the door, the small thud indicating that the action was successful. Jiyong looked up and couldn't understand the panic that was taking over Seunghyun's eyes. It took him a while to figure out why Seunghyun was frantically pointing at the steering wheel, but then he saw it. The keys. The keys were still on the inside. Ice cold water ran down his spine, freezing everything it touched. 

 

“What kind of car self-locks?! Are these the only set of keys you have?!?” Jiyong asked in a hurry, praying that it wasn't so. Seunghyun nodded helplessly. Jiyong felt as fear took his heart in its palm, starting to squeeze it gently, making it harder for it to pump properly. He ran to the other side of the car, to the window behind which a trapped Soonie sat playing with a little toy dragon that was attached to the edge of her seat, completely unaware of the dire situation in which she now found herself. What to do, what to do, what to do?, he asked himself repeatedly. The panic preventing his brain from functioning. All kinds of awful scenarios were knocking on his mind's door, but he refused to answer their call. 

He turned to Seunghyun, fury materializing inside of him. “Why didn't you take the keys with you? Who leaves the keys in the ignition when you're getting out of the car?!!” he snapped, blaming him for everything. Mostly because it was all his fault, but also because it was easier that way. It was easier to be blindly mad at him, instead of focusing on the fear that was eating him alive. What if they couldn't get to her in time? What if this incident left her irreparably traumatized? What if it got too hot in there and she had a heat before they could get someone to open the car for them? No, being angry at Seunghyun was the way to go. 

“I wanted to leave the music on a little longer in case it calmed her.” Seunghyun offered, but got no understanding or sympathy from him. He had none to offer. “Aissh! Why do you never think before you do?.. THINK!” he almost yelled in frustration. “We have to call the police, it's our only option. But if we call the police, they'll start asking questions about Soonie. Questions we can't answer, so they'll take her away and she'll never get to see her mom again.” he added with a resigned sigh. It , but it really was the only option he could think of. 

 

“It's a good thing then that the car doesn't have a self-lock mechanism.” Seunghyun snorted as he opened Soonie's door. She smiled when she saw him. "It was a joke. An innocent little joke. I was just trying to get you to lighten up a bit.. don't be so tense." Seunghyun said with a hopeful smile, clearly finding it hilarious that Jiyong had fallen for his prank. But laughter was the furthest thing from Jiyong's mind. "A bit of shock gets the adrenaline pumping, you see." he added when Jiyong's murderous stare wasn't accompanied by any words. 

Jiyong couldn't believe his own senses. A joke. The worst joke in the history of mankind. Hell, not even monkeys pulled such awful pranks! He was so mad he couldn't even look at him, his skin was practically boiling. He pushed him out of the way with his side, reaching for Soonie, not realizing she still had the belt on until it pulled her back as he tried to take her out of her seat. “Crap!” he exclaimed as he angrily wrestled with the most complicated puzzle he had ever come across. Why wouldn't the straps just let go? Were they on Seunghyun's side too, like the rest of the world? “Language!” Seunghyun reminded him, annoyingly so. It did nothing to improve his mood. 

Soonie just watched him with two big curious eyes as he wrestled with this new arch enemy of his, trying to free that little cutie from its clutches. After a brave battle, he came out victorious. He wasted no time. He grabbed her, turned around and kicked Seunghyun in the shin, hard. “OUCH!” he cried. Served him right, he thought as he strode across the parking lot. He was debating whether to lock Seunghyun out of his apartment when he heard him call out “I'm sorry.”. It was obvious that he was only doing it to get on his good side again and not because he regretted what he had done. 

 

As they got more distance between them and the devil's apprentice over there, Soonie started complaining, reaching out her hands over his shoulder in Seunghyun's direction. Jiyong worried for her. If she already had such a bad taste in men, what would become of her when she grew bigger?