Routine Rivalry

Baby, Maybe?

The next few days raced past in a busy blur. They were starting to settle down into a routine of sorts, making time go by even faster. Jiyong had never been so tired in his entire life. He was used to having a hectic schedule, but at least when he got a break he was really on a break. Now however, he was either upside down composing in the studio, or he was downside up at home with Soonie. There was not one second in the entire day that had his name on it and he could feel himself growing wearier with every passing day. He didn't get how people did this long term, holding down a job and taking care of a house full of kids as well. How were the country's mental hospitals not full of broken down moms that just couldn't take it anymore? He got a newfound respect for his own mom, all moms in fact. A thankless job that had worse benefits than a hardcore slave factory. Forget about getting paid or appreciated for the hours you put in, not only were you taken for granted, but you had to pay all the expenses yourself. You were on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and most of that time was spent cleaning up other people's while getting screamed at. It was a wonder that anyone had kids at all. It wasn't without its rewards of course, but currently Seunghyun was the sole recipient of those rewards since Soonie made no effort to hide which one of them she preferred.

 

Seunghyun had actually stepped up to the plate and was doing a decent job taking care of Soonie, he had to give him that, but the house was always a complete mess when he got home and Seunghyun was forever the 'fun' parent while it fell to Jiyong to set the boundaries and making sure they were not being overstepped. He also got the pleasure of handling the tantrums, it was like he had been absent on orientation day, Seunghyun already having called all the fun, easy tasks, leaving him the messy rest. Although there were moments, when Soonie was all cried out and tapped out of energy, where her little slightly chubby baby arms would stealthily wind themselves around his neck like a snake, holding on a little too tight, making him melt into her death grip. 

 

They still hadn't told anyone, not even the boys. He wasn't really sure why they hadn't included them yet, since they could be trusted for sure and it would only lighten their load, but he had this feeling this was their private, delicate little world, and the moment they so much as whispered its secret to anyone, it would disappear. He kind of liked their tiny new universe, and the fact that it was theirs and only theirs, so he kept quiet. He had expected Seunghyun to tell someone at one point or another, but he hadn't breathed a word to anyone. Therefore their shared secret haven remained intact within the walls of Seunghyun's house, carefully hidden from outside influence, left only for them to enjoy. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't exactly paradise, but it was theirs.

 

Jiyong got home just in time to read Soonie a bedtime story. They had gotten all comfy in Seunghyun's bed, which they all still shared every night. It was on the to do list to come up with a better sleeping arrangement, but Jiyong was in no hurry since he found it kind of nice to spend his nights all snuggled up to the two of them. So on the to do list it remained.

"I'm not too late for story time am I?" Seunghyun said in an urgent tone, crawling into bed with them.

"Tabi!" Soonie exclaimed satisfied, attaching her little octopus arm to him to make sure he didn't go away again.

Jiyong snorted, "You sure you don't want a break to catch up on some much needed me-time? I've got this covered." He gave him a sweet, yet very tired wink. So tired in fact that his eyelid almost refused to open again.

"What? And miss story time?!? Never!" Seunghyun said in an indignant, theatrical voice, chuckling as he snuggled up closer to Soonie in anticipation of the story. 

"So which book is it tonight, princess?" Jiyong held up a selection in front of her.

"Tabi!" She proclaimed in a full voice.

He knew that meant she wanted Seunghyun to read for her, but he was not backing down. She couldn't get everything she wanted with the wave of a hand, tonight she had him and she was just going to have to deal with it, he thought stubbornly, nursing his hurt ego.

He had tried over and over again to get her to say Ji, but she hadn't budge at all. It was like they were engaged in a silent power struggle and neither one of them was willing to back down.

"Hmm which book best represents Tabi..." he pondered over the books, pretending to have misunderstood her meaning. "Oh!" He giggled as he pulled out a book about an unfortunate penguin. Seunghyun raised his eyebrow, not appreciating the innuendo. 

"There once was an unfortunate pingu.. hehem.. penguin, I mean.." Jiyong tried to keep a straight face but the disapproving stare he was getting from Seunghyun was too priceless. 

"Pingu." Soonie said proudly as she pointed at the penguin, clearly showing them how quick on the uptake she was. But she was even quicker and wittier than she knew. They both cracked up, exchanging knowing smiles, Soonie giggling along, taking credit where credit was due.

 

Half way into the tales of the unfortunate Pingu, Soonie's hand sneaked under Jiyong's chin and started gently it. He couldn't help but waver at the touch of her pudgy little fingers. She had her eyes closed, with one hand still firmly attached to Seunghyun and the other fiddling with Jiyong's face. He figured she was probably making sure they didn't go anywhere while she was sleeping, like her mom did. Poor thing, it was only natural she would develop abandonment issues. 

As he continued reading, another hand started his cheek ever so softly, only those were no baby fingers. Their touch sent a jolt down his spine. He glanced to the side, Seunghyun had his eyes closed, copying Soonie to a T. Jiyong quietly snorted. That Seunghyun, always the comedian. Life with him was never boring, that was for sure.

He kept reading until both their hands had run out of batteries. He laid the book aside and lay down on his side, watching those two bundles of sleeping beauties. He could see dark circles forming under Seunghyun's eyes. Jiyong wasn't the only one that was exhausted. Maybe he should try harder when he was at home, try to be more understanding of all the work Seunghyun was putting in, instead of focusing on what was not being done.

He too closed his eyes, a hint of a smile tickling his lips. They were really starting to feel like a family. His little family, he thought with warm pride, pushing down the uncomfortable knowledge that this was only a temporary family, borrowed from someone else, and that just like in Cinderella, the clock would eventually cuckoo the arrival of midnight and then everything would turn back to the way it was.