The Mountain

Baby, Maybe?

 

Jiyong tapped his foot restlessly, his foot slipping into a melody he had been working on for the new album, a melody he should have been recording at the studio right now. He glanced at the sleeping baby beside him, the worry knot in his gut reminding him of its existence. She was a beautiful little creature, that could not be denied, all bundled up and peaceful, having no idea that her mother had just abandoned her. What a cruel world this was. This brief moment in time that they were sharing, would be the moment she would think about for the rest of her life. The moment that would define her from here on out. He hoped she would somehow be able to work through it, that she wouldn't let it ruin her life that her mother couldn't take better care of her.

His thoughts came to an abrupt stop as two deep brown almond eyes appeared, staring up at him full of curiosity. He froze, his body twitching in anticipation of the scream storm that was heading his way. Instead, she just blinked calmly, continuing to watch him with interest.

 

Well, hello there little trooper.” he said in a soft cutsie voice, trying not to scare her while freaking out on the inside. She blinked slowly. He chuckled. It was like she was drunk, she still hadn't managed to shake the tight hold of sleep. He had almost succumbed to her enchantment when he realized what was happening. He shook it off. It was just baby charm. Humans were programmed to not be able to resist those tiny masters of mayhem. It was obviously necessary, since who in their right mind would put up with those creators of chaos otherwise.

He wished Seunghyun would get here already, to help him break free from this spell she had put him under. Seunghyun was definitely the right man for the job. He would talk some sense into him, of that he was sure. Tell him that keeping her would be madness. That there was no chance her mother would ever actually return. That the right thing would be to contact the authorities and hand her over. Not because it really was the right thing to do, but because Seunghyun wasn't one to choose the hard way. He was a fan of the path of least resistance, preferring to leave the actual problem solving to anyone but himself.

 

Tearing himself away from the staring contest they had begun, forfeiting the chance of being crowned the king of stares, he turned to page two of the letter that was still lying in his lap. It was a mini-biography of the short life of little miss brown eyes. Or baby Cheonsoon as was her name.

She was about a year and a half, but was a bit behind in the talking department according to her mother. He looked at her pensively. She was definitely smart. Judging by her quiet curiosity, she was probably the type to first take it all in, and not use what she had learned before she was sure she could do it perfectly. He could relate. Already having a certificate in unstable walking, she had graduated to hazardous running so any hurdles or sharp objects should be removed from the environment. He gazed around the room, trying to spot anything that could pose a possible threat, before reminding himself that she wasn't staying here long enough for it to become an issue.

He scanned the rest of the paper, stopping at a short anecdote about how she got her name. His eyes grew wider. Apparently, the cheon was taken from cheonkook, heaven, since My Heaven had had such an impact on her mother, helping her through some dark times, saving her life much like her daughter had done by bringing purpose into her existence again, or so she explained. The soon was from Gwisoon, because her daughter never failed to bring a smile to her lips. A sneaky smile snuck onto Jiyong's lips without permission, making him feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

His dream had always been to be able to influence people's lives with his music, to be able to help them somehow through his songs, and now he had before him a real life example of just that. It made his chest swell up against his will, his heart started melting despite his efforts to keep it on ice. He threw the letter on the coffee table. It wasn't a good idea to read any more of that, it was just a waste of time since the moment Seunghyun would finally get here, they would take her to the nearest police station. He checked his phone, no messages, no missed calls. It was odd that he wasn't here yet, since Jiyong had called him on his emergency phone, the one he had made Seunghyun promise never to turn off, even if he turned off all the other ones, against the promise that he would only contact him through it in case of a real emergency. This definitely qualified. So where was he?

 

Jiyong was dozing off, his strength to resist sleep's enticing promises dwindling, when he heard someone fiddling with the door. The baby girl beside him had lost her battle with Mr. Sandman a while ago, but the noises at the door brought wrinkles to her nose. Suddenly the door sprang open, crashing into the opposite wall as Seunghyun jumped in, frantically looking around like he had completely lost his mind. “Where's the fire?!” he exclaimed all too loudly, his face one big worried question mark. What followed was the most awful, ear-splitting sound Jiyong had ever heard. Like some prehistoric creature wailing at the top of its lungs. Well, close enough.

 

What the hell?” Seunghyun covered his ears with a pained expression. “Make it stop!” he commanded, grinding his teeth.

You broke her, you fix her!!” Jiyong threatened, annoyed at him for disturbing the quiet balance they had going on before he came bursting in like the worst superhero that ever was.

At least pick her up!” Seunghyun shouted, more to be heard than out of frustration.

You pick her up!” Jiyong threw back at him, having stood up to get further from the insufferable noise. How could something so little be so loud?!

 

Seunghyun went over to the sofa, carefully releasing the tiny monster from her restraints. Jiyong did not see how it was going to help to have a mini maniac on the loose, but by now he was ready to try anything. Seunghyun didn't really look like he knew what he was doing, picking her up by grabbing under both her armpits, holding her up with both his arms outstretch so that she dangled awkwardly in the air. However unprofessional it seemed, it did the trick. She stopped crying.

 

Wow, you're a genius. You're like the baby whisperer.” Jiyong said softly, not wanting to disturb the beast with any loud noises.

All women love me.” Seunghyun smirked, sending Jiyong a cocky wink.

Jiyong snorted, shaking his head at this hopeless situation and his idiotic friend.

So, mind telling me what on Earth you're doing with a human of the small variety?” Seunghyun asked, still holding the toddler in mid air, his arms starting to tremble slightly from the weight. “Have you finally decided to leave the idol life to pursue your calling as a nanny?” he added mockingly.

 

I think it's safe to put her down now.” Jiyong told him, ignoring his snide remark as he sat down next to him. Instead of putting her back into the portable car seat, Seunghyun put her on Jiyong's lap and let go before he had a chance to protest. It wasn't so bad, she just sat there staring into the nothingness, the tears on her cheek glistening as they gradually evaporated. Up close she wasn't that scary. Okay, she was still a little bit scary, but his heart couldn't help but go out to her, she was all alone in this universe and she didn't even know it.

 

Jiyong nodded towards the letter on the table, indicating that Seunghyun should check it out. He read it quietly, raising his eyebrows a couple of times. “There's almost no chance her mom will be back for her, right?” Jiyong noted, wanting confirmation to quiet the voices of doubt in his head.

Seunghyun put the letter back where he found it, turning to look Jiyong straight in the eyes. “You're not going to make me the bad guy here, there is no way I'm going to be part of the reason this little rascal princess will loose her mother forever. Not a chance. Does the letter sound crazy? Yes. Would it be crazy to keep the baby until she comes back for her? Yes. But if you're going to hand her off to whatever awful fate that lies ahead for her, I'm out. I'll have no part in it.” Seunghyun leaned back, stubbornly folding his arms. He was not going to budge.

Ah, he had forgotten what a mama's boy Seunghyun was. Crap. But, how did he figure it out? How did he know that he was hoping to use him as a shield from his own guilty conscience? Sometimes Seunghyun knew him so well it was scary.

 

So what the hell am I supposed to do?” Jiyong asked helplessly.

That's for you to decide. It's your name on the letter, which makes it your problem. It , but that's just how it is.” Seunghyun shrugged, being less than no help at all.

Fine. Say I decide to try and wait it out. How would I even begin to do that?!” Jiyong exclaimed, receiving a short “Sssht.” from Seunghyun as he pointed at the living teddy bear that was still sitting on Jiyong's lap.

Do what everyone does, hire a nanny.” Seunghyun said like it was the simplest solution in the world, but it wasn't really so. Not for them.

Are you serious? And then the nanny writes a tell all autobiography, exposing us and creating a scandal of epic proportions. Not in a million years!” he shook his head with conviction.

A problem you're not willing to solve, will never be solved.” Seunghyun pointed out with an obnoxious expression, wearing the smirk of a wise man, clearly thinking he was bestowing upon him a pearl of great wisdom.

 

Okay, say I take care of her for two months and then her mom doesn't come back, what then?” Jiyong threw at him, trying to hold on to the last thread of reason that was slowly slipping out of his reach.

Then you can call social services. Or you could just adopt her, she is partly yours already, sharing her name with your other babies.” Seunghyun chuckled, but turning more serious a moment later. “At least give her a chance. I think she'll be back. I'm sure of it. She couldn't have just left her, her own daughter, her own flesh and blood. She clearly loves her, look at how much thought she put into her name. Misguided perhaps, but still.” Seunghyun smirked, scanning Jiyong's face to see if his last remark had managed to ruffle something up inside him. Spotting the annoyed sigh that escaped Jiyong's lips, he continued, satisfied.

"There are so many reasons she could have been forced to temporarily abandon her. Maybe it was the only way to keep her safe. Maybe she was being chased by mobsters, shaking her down for the money she borrowed, trying to force her to sign over her body to pay her debt, but she couldn't very well bring a baby on the run. Or she got cancer and had to be hospitalized for treatment, and with shaky odds and no one to take care of her baby in the meanwhile, the baby girl would've entered the system and she would've never gotten her back...”

"Fine. Fine! We'll just use the boys to help us then, they are the only ones I trust. We can do it like everything else we do, as a team. And you...” Jiyong squinted devilishly while pointing at Seunghyun. “Since it's all your fault that I'm even considering this, you're going to move in here and help.” he concluded decisively. “Soonie. meet appa Seunghyun. Appa Seunghyun, meet your daughter for a day, or in this case two months.” he gave him a teasing wink.

The color disappeared from Seunghyun's face. "Ji.. you know me.. There's no way I'm leaving my house." Seunghyun replied hurriedly, panic detectable in his voice. 

"Alright! If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, I guess Muhammad and his sidekick, Soonie, will just have to move in with the stubborn mountain." Jiyong said with resolve, his stomach churning, not believing what he had just decided, yet unable to change his own mind.