TOP's World

Baby, Maybe?

 

“I challenge you...” a devilish smile snuck onto Jiyong's lips

 

”...to a dance off!!” he grinned.

 

“Na-ah, that's way too unfair!” Seunghyun complained but he didn't listen and went ahead and put a coin in the machine.

“I'm not doing it.” Seunghyun crossed his arms, pursing his lips like a spoiled little five year old.

“Chickeeeeen.” Jiyong , clucking like a chicken, turning his arms into mock-wings as he shook his behind tauntingly.

“Fine! It's not like it's about talent anyways...you just have to be quick, sharp, and have good coordination.” Seunghyun shrugged, trying to sound as if it was a piece of cake.

“Uh..yeah. That's kind of what dance talent is all about... but okay.” he chuckled, happy that his cheap trick had worked.

His heart fluttering like a hummingbird that had just found a flower full of sweet nectar, he pressed 'start'. This was going to be good, he swallowed a squeal of anticipation.

The moment the music started, he started dancing, hitting all the right spots at all the right times like a well trained monkey. But then he happened to glance over at Seunghyun and nearly fell off the platform laughing. Forget following the dance patterns, Seunghyun was downright trying to kill the machine with his two left feet. He was sweating like crazy. Jiyong followed a drop of sweat as it traced the strong line of his jaw, before it slowly made its way down his neck. ' it' a voice told him. What? He couldn't believe the voice had actually originated in his own brain. He looked around to see if it was the resident ert lurking around, trying to put strange ideas in his head, but no, no, it was just the ert inside his head. He shook it, as if to shake the ert out, realizing he had missed almost half the steps in the meanwhile. Had this been Seunghyun's plan all along, to distract him with his manly glistening neck, winning on a technicality? He was working so hard, though, the top of his jacket collar starting to stain from the sweat. He almost wanted to let him win. But just almost. Throwing a few extra logs into the fire burning in his chest, he reclaimed his brain and focused on the task at hand. He would never ever hear the end of it if Seunghyun won.

 

“Hahh!! I win!!” Jiyong exclaimed in triumph. The difference in their scores was a little too close for comfort, but he won, that was the bottom line.

“I think mine's broken.” Seunghyun muttered, pretending to examine the machine for abnormalities.

 

Jiyong brought an exhausted Seunghyun, who had collapsed into a nearby chair, an ice cold drink. That was the least he could do. He felt kind of bad, judging by the fancy clothes they were probably going somewhere respectable and he had made Seunghyun throw away his prince-charming-look for a silly game he never had any chance of winning.

“Okay, you choose the next one.” he smiled sweetly.

Seunghyun drank the whole thing in one go, letting out a manly 'Ahh' at the end. The color had returned to his cheeks. He sat up and looked around with a curious spark in his eyes. He was on the prowl, in search for revenge.

“That one!” he excitedly exclaimed. He was pointing at an air hockey table that stood solemnly in a corner. It was a weird atmosphere to be in an empty arcade. Normally it was so noisy, it was hard to even think, battle cries from every corner, students laughing, ridding themselves of all the stress that had built up during the day. It was kind of magical, actually. Back in their trainee days they too used to release their stress by going together all five of them to the arcade, having some laughs to wipe away the tears of exhaustion. It was such a brutally hard time, and back then he could think about nothing but debuting and becoming a successful idol, and everything he was going to do once he became famous enough to have his own say in everything. Yet, now, he found himself looking back with fondness, almost missing that time of endless hardships, when they were just a pack of five little idiots trying to get by. Now they were too famous to just walk into any old arcade to have fun. Seunghyun had called ahead and reserved it for an hour for just the two of them. The thought gave him butterflies, suddenly realizing how alone they really were. There was nobody watching. They could do whatever they wanted.

“What are you waiting for? Come on you slowpoke! Afraid of getting your kicked?!” Seunghyun , his deep-voiced chuckles tickling Jiyong's insides. That was the last thing he was afraid of. Pushing these fluttering feelings that kept bothering him aside, he got ready to show him who was boss.

 

The air hockey table lit up with all the potential in the world. Ah, if life had a reset button like this, Jiyong thought. Seunghyun theatrically took off his jacket, already behaving like a winner, but the button on his jacket sleeve got caught on his watch. Jiyong watched him declare war on his jacket, wondering if it would be a battle to the death. Not having the heart to make him suffer for too long, he came to his aid, releasing his arm from its tight jacket-sleeve-prison, saving the watch while he was at it.

“Heh, thanks.” Seunghyun grinned softly, the worry wrinkle on his forehead smoothing out. He loved that watch. Jiyong just shrugged like it was nothing, suddenly realizing how close they were standing. He took a sharp breath, the air having a faint hint of sweat mixed with cologne. Seunghyun's sweat. The sweat that was making his shirt stick to him in all the right places. It made him look even more manly than usual. Jiyong got the urge to throw himself into his arms, he had to hold himself back. If only he could do it without Seunghyun knowing. He didn't want to get caught, he didn't want to risk their friendship, but he wanted to know why all these weird thoughts kept popping up in his brain. Was his brain just taking him for a ride, out of plain boredness or was he really in trouble? He wasn't sure he was ready to know the answer.

“Sure.” Jiyong cleared his throat and handed Seunghyun back the jacket before returning to his spot at the other end of the table. ”Let's do this!” he said, getting himself animated, happy to have something else to focus on than this dangerous game his mind was playing. Seunghyun wasn't helping though. He took a moment to fold up his shirt sleeves, ing the top two buttons as well. If Jiyong wasn't actively ignoring all information coming from his brain, including basic commands like breathing, he would have gotten weak in the knees. But he was not having it. His knees were stronger than ever. He was in control. He could weather this thought-storm like he had weathered so much else in his short life. He was G-Dragon for Pete's sake!

 

“Hah! 1-0!!” Jiyong jumped with joy.

“Hey, I wasn't ready...” Seunghyun complained, somehow managing to send the puck flying over half the arcade. Jiyong ran to fetch it, where it lay half hidden under a chair. It looked so lonely and abandoned. 'Come on, let's go avenge this injustice!' he silently told the puck as he ran back, more determined than ever.

 

And avenge they did, 14-4.

“Oh, look at the time!” Seunghyun said dramatically as Jiyong scored his 14th goal. Only one goal from absolute victory. ”If we don't leave now, we're not going to make it.” he swiftly swung his jacket into the air, putting it on like a movie star. Somehow Jiyong suspected they weren't as pressed for time as Seunghyun led them to believe.

“Okay, I win!!” Jiyong swung his arms victoriously in the air.

“No, no, no... it's impossible to tell who would have won this game. I would gladly show you how wrong you really are, but ah, alas! Just when we have to leave...” Seunghyun's one man play continued. ”Oh, well... nothing we can do about that.” he shrugged, looking like he was suppressing a smile.

Normally, Jiyong wouldn't let him get away with something like this, but he was too curious about where he was taking him, so he let it go.

 

“After you.” Seunghyun held the door open and bowed slightly like a true gentleman. Jiyong felt the blood rush to his cheeks.

“Haha, you idiot!” he blurted out to try and make the atmosphere less romantic, punching him softly on the shoulder before he entered the exhibition hall. It was beautiful. Seunghyun had brought them to a very exclusive art exhibit opening. He was always on top of what was going on in the art world, especially when there were furniture involved.

“Hang on, let me help you with that.” Seunghyun said as he helped Jiyong take off his jacket and handed it to the coat check personnel.

“Oh, wait just one moment.” he said and disappeared. Jiyong just stood there like an awkward statue, his heart not handling this attentive version of Seunghyun very well. Of course, to the outside world he looked more like a cool wax-replica of himself, or so he hoped, trying to keep his swag-reputation intact.

“Look at what I scored!” Seunghyun's face was one big smile. He had his hands full with two wine glasses and two plates full of finger food. Jiyong's stomach complained at the mere sight of food. He hadn't been so full since... ever.

“Yay.” Jiyong tried to sound as excited as Seunghyun but failed.

“Oh, right. You ate for like ten people earlier. Sorry.” Seunghyun hung his head sheepishly, but it didn't take long for him to regain his brightness. ”Don't worry. I'll just eat your plate as well!” he chuckled. And those were not just empty words. It only took him a second to finish both plates, apparently forgetting that Jiyong was not the only one that ate not more than an hour and a half ago.

 

As they made their way through the room, the back of Seunghyun's hand brushed ever so slightly against his. Jiyong's heart did a somersault. Had it just been an accident or had it meant something? He couldn't be sure.

Pacing his breathing as not to hyperventilate, all his senses sharpened. He became super aware of every subtlety of Seunghyun's movements and actions. He was starting to think he had developed some kind of Seunghyun-centric superpower. He noticed every little detail. The slight dimple-like dent in his cheeks that appeared as he greeted what he assumed were some of the artists with his signature killer smile. The way he tilted his head ever so subtly when he was trying to decide what he thought about an art piece. The light that right behind his eyes when he looked at some of the strange chair-designs that were on display. Jiyong didn't really get it when it came to Seunghyun's obsession with chairs, but there was something about them that made him happy, and that was all he needed to know.

As they stood in front of an especially daring piece, Jiyong couldn't take it any longer. The burning desire to hold Seunghyun's hand was overwhelming. It was as if the air had become electrified, some invisible force pulling at his hand, wanting to join their hands together to reach equilibrium, like they were magnets that he had to use force to keep apart.

“What do you think about this one?” Seunghyun asked, sounding far away, lost in thought.

“Uhm... I don't really know.” Jiyong said honestly, his mind not functioning very well at the moment. All it could think about was how close Seunghyun's hand was to his hand and how much he wanted to bridge that thin gap between them and grab his hand. It wouldn't even be that weird. He had often held the other members' hands just because he wanted to. He didn't need a reason. But somehow, this felt different. It wasn't just holding hands. It meant something.

“Huhh huhh, I know right... It's weird.” Seunghyun chuckled, shaking his head.

 

“That was fun, huh?” Seunghyun said as they stood in front of the front door.

“Yeah. It really was.” Jiyong agreed whole-heartedly. Fun, but dangerous. Like skydiving. Without a parachute.

He watched Seunghyun fumbling with his keys, wondering why it was taking him so long to open the door. It reminded him of a scene from a movie, where the protagonist was waiting for a good night kiss. Ah, if only life was a little bit more like a movie, he thought. Seunghyun had probably just had one wine glass too many at the exhibit, having a tough time focusing.

After a strangely long while, Seunghyun managed to find the right key, opening the door hesitantly, turning Cinderella back into a pumpkin.

“TAAAABIIIIIIIIII!!!” a little monster ran to greet them, jumping into Seunghyun's arms before he could even take his shoes off. Jiyong knew it was silly of him, but he felt a bit sour that she only greeted Seunghyun and not him.

“What is she doing awake at this hour?” he asked Youngbae, who appeared with his tail between his legs. 

“Look at those eyes!! You try saying no to those eyes!” Youngbae exclaimed defensively.

Jiyong shook his head and was about to enter the living room when a tiny voice said behind him “Mm! Mm! Ji!”. Two little hands were stretched out towards him. He completely melted as Soonie put her pudgy little arms around his neck, nearly choking him.

“Did you have fun with uncle Bae?” he asked her in a cutsie voice. She nodded as she rubbed her eyes and yawned. 

”Oh, honey, come on. Let's get you to bed. I'll read you a story.”.

“Tistis baby!” she objected. Lately, trying to find creative ways to put her to sleep, they had started making lullaby-versions of Big Bang's songs. She had taken a liking to Fantastic Baby, so they were stuck having to sing it to her over and over again.

“Uu! Uu! Tabi!” she insistently ordered Seunghyun to join them.

“I guess I've been summoned.” Seunghyun giggled. ”I think you're gona have to see yourself out. Thanks so much for the help tonight.” he gave Youngbae a friendly pat on the shoulder and followed Jiyong and Soonie to the bedroom.