Maybe Baby

Baby, Maybe?

 

Jiyong threw his jacket on, grabbing his keys as he opened the front door. He was running late. He had booked time at the recording studio and he couldn't wait to get there. He had about a thousand ideas in his head, just waiting to get out. As he was about to head out the door, he noticed it. There was something on the welcome mat. It was odd, since he hadn't been expecting any deliveries. Besides, if he got deliveries, they were normally left at the security office downstairs. He bent down to get a better look at whatever it was. It was covered with a thin blanket.

 

As Jiyong pulled off the loose blanket, he jumped backwards in surprise. He blinked twice just to make sure he wasn't dreaming. It was a baby. A baby tucked into one of those baby car seats. What the..! He stuck his head out the door, looking in every direction for the owner of the creature that was soundly sleeping on his doorstep. There was no one to be seen. How could anyone just leave a baby on somebody's doormat? Had that someone forgotten something and left the baby there while jumping back down to the car to get it? Even so, wouldn't you just take the baby back down with you? It couldn't weigh that much and it wasn't safe to just leave it anywhere. Especially not in front of the door of some stranger.

 

Jiyong stood there completely baffled. He had no idea what to do. It had been ten minutes and no one had appeared to claim the baby. Luckily it was fast asleep. He didn't want to think what would happen if it were to wake up. “Where's your mommy, little one?” he whispered, talking more to himself than the tiny sleeping human before him. He was starting to get nervous, a bad feeling creeping into his gut. He was already way too late, but he was more worried about what would happen if nobody came.

He bent down, crouching over it, watching it sleep. It looked so peaceful, not a care in the world, having no idea that its mom was nowhere to be found. He decided it was time to take action, he couldn't just stand there all day. He was going to check if this baby's guardian was to be found downstairs, upstairs, heck, he was going to go door to door if he had to. He grabbed the handle of the car seat, his eyes catching the corner of a piece of paper sticking out from under the side of the kid's blanket.

 

He pulled on it and a letter appeared. He opened it.

 

 

Dear Kwon Jiyong,

 

If I were to explain, it would take at least a dozen pages, but I am out of time so I will keep this short.

I have been your fan for 8 years now. You have been my rock, my savior through all those years. I know you don't know me, but I know you. I know you are a good person, I know you are responsible and I know you would do the right thing if pressed. Now I find myself in a lot of trouble and I have no one to turn to. If I go to the authorities, they will take my baby away from me. I am a single mother without any family to speak of, the baby before you is my sole purpose in life. She is my little gem, the apple of my eye. I love her more than I value my own life. Therefore, I had no choice but to leave her with you.

You could always go hand her off to the social services, but I plead you not to. Please. I beg of you. I only need two months. Two months and I'll be back. This is the only way I can keep my baby. I have no one else to turn to. I promise, I will be back. Maybe even sooner than expected.

 

I have written a couple of pages with information and instructions, please read them.

 

I don't know how to repay you, but be sure that I will find a way.

 

My lovely dragon of light, please be the guardian of my little one and save our tiny family of two.

I thank you in advance from the bottom of my heart.

 

Your forever indebted fan

 

 

Jiyong stared at the hurried scribble in front of him, not believing what he had just read. She had left the kid with him? In his care? Was she completely insane? What was he going to do with a baby? He didn't know the first thing about babies and he was a world class idol with the busiest schedule in the business. How had she thought this was a good idea?

 

He took out his phone, planning to call the police. No matter what it said in the letter, it was the right thing to do. The only thing to do. He couldn't take care of some random kid in the vague hope that its crazy mother would return in two months. And it wasn't like it was normal for a mother to leave her baby on the doorstep of a complete stranger, that certainly wouldn't earn her the mother of the year award. Wasn't the poor kid just better off with normal parents? Someone that could take better care of her?

Just then he heard a sound downstairs, voices. It was the neighbor across the hall. Instinctively, Jiyong grabbed the car seat and pulled it inside, closing the door. The last thing he needed was for this to turn up on the gossip pages. They had had enough scandals for now. He put her on the sofa, sitting down next to her. She was cute, that was for sure. At least while she was sleeping. She would probably turn into a scary monster when she woke up though.

She reminded him a bit of Haru. And then he thought, what if it had been Tablo. What if Tablo had run into trouble and had to go away for two months, making a last desperate attempt at not losing his only daughter to the system, never getting to see her ever again. Jiyong got a pang in his stomach. He knew Tablo would be devastated. But Tablo would never have left Haru on the doorstep of some random person. Although, to this girl's mother, he wasn't a random person. He was a person she trusted. A person she believed in.

 

Jiyong stared at his phone, biting his lip. Finally he keyed in a number. It was only one number, the number one. He listened to the ringing sound, trying not to panic.

 

“Ji, what's up?” a deep, husky voice answered.

 

“Come over. It's urgent.”.