Coming of Age

The Crown Prince

 

…………Chapter 9………………

 

As tradition, Monday of the third week of May, brought Jinki’s joyful celebration. The ancient palace was filled with guests from all over the Kingdom and even neighboring Kingdoms. The Queen walked by the prince’s room, she saw his servants dressing him for the big event. With his arms stretched out to his side’s Jinki half smiled to his mother and mumbled “This is the heaviest hanbok on the planet.”  Chuckling, his mother walked in and excused the lady from braiding his long hair so she could do it herself. “You look very nice.”  Even if you’re the prince you can’t escape your parents trying to tease you about having a crush. “So handsome.. I think a certain young person will like it.” The queen couldn’t help it; she was excited for her son being in love. 

Jinki heard one of the youngest dressers giggle; he blushed and sighed. “Mother.”

The queen playfully smiled at the female servant fitting him with his belt then said to her son innocently “What?” They, including the prince, softly chuckled but were soon interrupted by the King entering his room. The maids quickly stood up and bowed. He excused them and they shuffled out leaving the family alone.

The King pulled him into a hug. He patted his back with one hand and with his other he reached towards his wife, holding her hand in his while he finished hugging their son. The parents smiled warmly to one another over Jinki’s shoulder.

Ending his hug he said proudly “I can’t believe it’s been 20 years. Our son a man, finally. A man in love I might add. Just like your father. Love, We fall hard don’t we, son?” He sighed happily “It’s perfect.”  “Sure is” his mother said happily and softly.

“Congratulations on coming of age son.” The king smiled

“Thank you father.”

“By the way, ready to officially announce your courtship with Mr. Taemin in a month?”

“Yes.  But I was worried you would be upset because we are unable to bare children and that you’d both change your minds this past year.  I know it’s a problem, but I can’t help it. I need to be with Taemin in order to be King. Are you sure you’ll still be ok with this if we marry one day? Because if I court him I do intend on making him mine, father.”

“A problem? Nonsense. Like I said you take after me, son. We are romantics like your mother says.” He smiled to his wife for a moment “I love the Queen with all my heart so I understand a man’s heart to be with the one they love. I will not deny my son, the future leader, the love of another. Do not dare frown today. Besides...That is easy to fix. Your mother and I are planning on writing a law immediately to fix that problem so there won’t be an issue from the court years later when you ask his hand in marriage.”

Jinki’s eyes started to mist. “You’d do that for us?”

“Of course, my son; we would move heaven and earth for you.” The king said tenderly.

“Thank you.” He hugged his parent’s tightly.

The queen rubbed Jinki’s back as she spoke softly of what the law will declare. “If the King marries a spouse of the same gender they may adopt and that child will be seen as a legal decedent and rightful heir to their parent’s throne.”

Overwhelmed he informally addressed them “appa, umma..I love you.” A happy tear slipped from the young man’s eye, his mother thumbed over his damp cheek. “Now, now, my prince, we mustn’t have red crying eyes.  Your ceremony is soon.”

The king cleared his throat trying not to get emotional as well. “Yes, quite right. Let’s get going.” The king picked up the Prince’s black royal headpiece that was lying on a table near them and placed the gat (hat) on the crown prince’s head. “We must not let our guest wait.” He patted the prince’s shoulder; the men nodded to each other.

“Ready Prince Jinki?” his mother asked.

The three regaining a regal demur, the young man ran his hands over the front of his flawless clothes, smoothing it down. He held his head up high, proudly and rolled his shoulders back, then inhaled and exhaled slowly before confidently stating princely “I am ready.” His parents stepped to the side instantly taking their places behind him. The stately trio smiled proudly as he led the way to the door. As they made it to the door he heard both his parent’s whisper to him “I love you.” The family took a deep breath... He began sliding the door open and by the time Jinki finished opening the door their smiles had already been replaced with their public regal stoic expressions. 

The ceremony would take place in the impressive Geunjeongjeon (throne hall). Later they will all retire to the Hyangwonjeong Pavilion in the middle of the grand pond for a festive celebration. The throne room was filled with their distinguished guests. All the windows and doors were open to the elements on this bright warm day. On the floor on their posh silky cushions the guests were chatting loudly as they waited for the event to begin when they heard someone declare. “Their majesties approach!” The room fell silent instantly. Taemin was sitting next to his parents and the scholarly Kim’s. He was talking with Kibum when he heard the peaceful sound of birds chirping replace the once noisy room of voices; he sat up straighter to see out the window. A smile crept across his face as he saw the noble family coming from the private quarters building to the building he sat. Walking dignified across the palace grounds, their lavish ceremonial hanboks, especially made for this occasion, made of the finest material shimmered in the sun. Jinki’s belt embroider with golden silk matched his father’s. The golden silk laced the hem of the Queens attire; you could hear the soft tinkle of the golden ornamental jewelry adoring her elaborate stylish ebony hair as she stepped. The family was simply stunning in all their majestic beauty; a small gasp of awe could be heard in the throne room as they looked on into the courtyard.  The magistrate’s son couldn’t stop smiling dreamily; his boyfriend was blindingly handsome. Kibum smirked cutely and tapped the younger’s arm; Taemin blushed and tried to control his face.

Jinki stepped inside the royal Throne Hall, his parents following gracefully. The prince stopped and remained standing in front of his parents seats of power. His parents walked up from behind until they were on each side of him. After everyone bowed to them The King and Queen took their seats, the guests following suit moments after. With his parents seated behind him, he remained facing the prestigious crowd; Jinki knelt down on a pearl aqua cushion on the floor starting the ceremony….

…..Ending the ceremony was the last step known as Suhnrye: he turned to his parents and recited the pledge to be a mature adult then bowed. Filled with pride in his maturity they bowed to him, acknowledging proudly his passage into adulthood. He turned to face his subjects, spotting Taemin right away who was smiling handsomely, making the prince, who was tiring to be serious, smile faintly….    

Afterwards in the brightly colored Pavilion people were standing around mingling and chatting away until once again the Royal family entered their presence. The King joyfully expressed it was time for the prince to receive his gifts.  Taemin nibbled his lip and whispered to Kibum as everyone lined up to present the Crown Prince with his presents “I hope I am not going to embarrass myself or worse the prince.”

“Impossible, I think it’s perfect.”

One by one in order of status, they gave their gifts and best wishes to the prince. The closer it got to Taemin’s turn the more nervous he got. But once he was standing in front of the royal family and seeing their kind smiles his nervousness melted away. “Hello, Master Lee Taemin” His highness’s warm handsome voice floated into the air. With a sweet innocent and beautiful smile, Taemin bowed “Congratulations, Prince Jinki.”

Returning the soft smile he said kindly “Thank you.”

“And what is it you present to the Crown Prince?” The Queen smiled. Taemin bowed to her and the King before returning his attention to the prince once more.

Feeling calm, imaging it was only Jinki and he in the room. He spoke confidently from the heart “Today, you come of age, blossom in to a man. I present...” He began as he pulled a single long stemmed red rose from behind his back. “A flower for your coming of age.  It wasn’t always this magnificent, just like you it took time to mature.  The prince was once an infant, needing special care from its father and mother. This rose once needed special care from the sun and the rain to grow from a small bud to full bloom. A flower, with its masculine thorns and elegant petals... Your highness has matured with these qualities: Princely and graceful.  Let this rose be a symbol for today you are in full bloom your highness, a man.”

“That’s so thoughtful, Master Taemin.” He extended his hand, his fingertips touching Taemin’s as he took it gently from him. “Thank you.” He smiled brightly at his boyfriend.  The queen almost cried; she blinked a few times to make sure tears did not fall in public and said. “That was beautiful.” the King nodded in agreement.

Taemin batted his lashes softly “Thank you. I also have another.”

“Oh?” 

“The fragrance of the rose.” He handed a small glass bottle to the prince. Jinki opened the bottle and smelled the cork as the boy continued. “A flower leaves its handsome fragrance in its wake lasting in our senses, our memoires, when it leaves us for the winter until it returns to us again in the spring. Like the rose you are unforgettable. You leave the memory of your endless charms and noble heart, the perfume, the essence of you when you are not in our presences. Like the scent is the essence of the rose, you have matured into the essence of what a good man should be. Congratulations of Coming of Age, Prince Jinki” He respectfully bowed. 

“This is lovely. Thank you Master Taemin.” He wanted to say so much more, they both did, but it would have to wait. “Your gift resembles you. It’s very poetic, I won’t forget it. Thank you again Mr. Lee.”

“You’re welcome, Prince Jinki. I’ll be performing a poem later for you by the way. The first one you’ll know” He smiled “The 2nd one Minstrel Kim Jonghyun wrote for you, it’s his gift to you, your highness.”

Before Jinki could say anything his happy parents chimed in “Let’s hear it now!” Said the King,. “Oh yes, please do young Master Lee. Grace us with your poem.” Added the queen.

Smiling brightly Jinki nodded “Yes, please Master Taemin I would like to hear it now.”

Becoming aware everyone had been staring at them while he gave his gifts, Taemin blinked nervously; He looked around and back to his secret boyfriend. He cleared his throat. “Yes your highnesses. I’d be honored to recite for you now.” With an unsteady heartbeat and sweaty palms Taemin bowed, and then locked eyes with the crown prince. Letting all fade away except Jinki’s handsome smile that gave him courage: he began…..  Remembering the 1st day they met, Jinki giggled under his breath when he heard the 1st line of the novice poem; then smiled dreamily until the end.  During the 2nd poem Jinki took a brief moment to glance around the court to see them all captivated by his Taemin, listening intently…  Taemin shined no mistakes no wavering voice of nervousness: Jinki was proud. …The younger finished powerfully, and was met with the sound of loud applause breaking him from his tender gaze at the prince making Taemin blush and bat his pretty lashes shyly as he became bashful all over again.  The queen fanned her shiny pearl aqua fan in front of her face, in hopes it would dry up sentimental tears that were threatening to form. “Beautiful” she and the prince breathed in unison. The king chuckled joyfully “That was wonderful! Thank you Lee Taemin.” The prince and the queen thanked him once more. Taemin bowed and walked back to his parents.

After every one presented their gifts the King proclaimed “Let the festivities commence!”

Jonghyun’s family took turns in between the extra performers hired for the occasion, entertaining the upper classes. After everyone feasted on the lavish meal some began to talk amongst themselves as the music played. Taemin glanced up to the front of the pavilion at the prince on his throne every once in a while. Jinki looked his way periodically as well. At one point they caught the other’s gaze and ended up smiling sweetly at one another briefly.

Arching a brow Leeteuk wondered to whom his cousin was smiling. He looked across the room and saw the magistrate's son smiling at the crown prince. Leeteuk rolled his eyes, and snorted “Pfft” He glanced back to his cousin “you got to be kidding me.” He mumbled under his breath. 

The sun started to slip behind the mountains and Jinki slipped away towards the side of the room. The king saw him get up and whispered “Son, where are you going?”

“I should mingle, father.”

“Yes, yes, quite right. Go on.”

“Good idea” Said the queen getting up. She hooked her arm around her son’s elbow and walked with him a moment. Tilting her head casually as she waved to someone on the other end of the room and her cheek now closer to his she whispered “I’ll be a diversion” She faced him then smirked. “Go to him.” She winked.

He smiled “Thank you.” She made her way towards the ladies of the court, distracting them from coming after her son. However Jinki did stop by a few guests briefly not to be too obvious he was trying to make his way to Taemin.

A soft honey voice floated musically behind the boy “Thank you, Taemin.” Taemin smiled instantly and turned around. Out the corner of his eye, Kibum saw Taemin move so he too turned around and greeted the crown prince with a smile. “Hello” they greeted, bowing their heads slightly.  Then Taemin’s parents and Kibum’s also became aware of him. Jinki chuckled and greeted them all and thanked them all once again. Their fathers talked to him about a few things. Their mothers butted in to say how his parents must be so proud of him. After a while the parents let the kids chat and returned their attention to the musicians.

“I should go find Minho and Jonghyun. Where are they?” Kibum asked knowing Jinki wanted to speak to Taemin privately.

“Jonghyun is busy tonight, he is with the performers. Minho is somewhere. I think his father is having him patrol the grounds. Jinki looked over the crowd of people. “Yep General Choi is with my father so Minho must be outside.” he looked at his friends once again “Later you all can come to my room when everyone goes to sleep. So we can celebrate together, ok?” Kibum nodded “Will do.” The three talked a little longer before watching the show that was in the middle of the room. Jonghyun’s sister was dancing while her mother played drums.

Leaning slightly closer to his boyfriend; Taemin spoke softly for his ears only “I was so nervous. But when I saw your eyes, I felt stronger and not so nervous.”

“I’m glad.” the handsome prince eye smiled. “I’m proud of you Taemin. Tonight, you spoke before the kingdom so bravely, you didn’t seem shy. You’ve grown up too. You did very well. And I loved it so much. It means so much to me you’d put so much thought into it.”

Taemin nibbled his bottom lip thinking about his other present he has yet to give. Eyes forward, he tilted his head again and whispered “Hyung-nim may we go on a walk?”

Jinki tapped Taemin’s father’s shoulder to get his attention “Magistrate Lee may I borrow Taemin for a moment?”

“Yes, of course.”

…..

Everyone was watching Jonghyun’s noona; they thought they could get away but Taemin and Jinki got interrupted 3 times by others saying hello or congratulating the prince as they tried to casually walk out of there: They politely made small talk with them.  They even stopped themselves at one point when they suddenly heard a familiar voice filtering in to the air beautifully. They turned around and saw Jonghyun singing. They applauded loudly when he finished. Jonghyun saw them in the corner near the exit and bowed and gave them a nod. He began to do a few gags giving them a way to escape. The man was multitalented. The place came alive quickly: servants and the bluebloods laughed heartily, it had worked. As soon as the crowd was in a fit of laughter and eyes were no longer upon them Jinki discreetly tugged on his boyfriend’s sleeve slipping out of view.

Hearing the sounds of the pavilion getting smaller and smaller the farther they walked away into the night, they began to hear a faint sound of their footsteps padding against the large stones beneath their feet. Jinki looked over his shoulder to see if it was safe, and it was… Jinki poked his hand out the end of his long sleeve shaking it a bit polling the baggy fabric around his wrist before gently brushing his fingers against the back of Taemin’s hand. Glancing at him, Taemin smiled cutely, and clasped their hands together. In the moonlight walking in silence enjoying the night, Taemin hadn’t forgotten about his special present he still had to give, he was waiting for the right moment. There was a chill in the night air but they could only feel it nipping at their noses for the rest of them was warm in their heavy attire.  Taemin turned his head, admiring Jinki’s attractive profile; the soft breeze pushed the clouds across the velvet sky revealing the moon, bathing the handsome angelic prince in its light; Taemin’s heart fluttered at the sight.  

Relaxed, Jinki sighed. “This is nice.”

Taemin blinked, refocusing his attention away from the pale light kissing Jinki’s lips but then failing. The boy breathed “Beautiful.” unable to look away from his manly beauty basking in the midnight sun.. Jinki turned his head towards him making the younger blush and say “It’s a beautiful night, hyung. Congratulations again on becoming an adult.” With a sweet smile from the elder Taemin finally looked away, cutely with a smile of his own.

“Thank you.” He playful nudged his shoulder into the younger’s.

Taemin smiled again but it faded as now the boy looked serious “Hyung?”

“Yes, Taemin?”

With their bulky sleeves no one would notice their locked hands at this distance, but a kiss is something they wouldn’t be able to hide. Taemin looked back at the pavilion briefly. Nope, not yet. Still in view. He turned around; facing forward he continued on without answering, just gave a cute smile and guided him towards and eventually around a corner of a building...

… In a comfortable and peaceful silence they leisurely wandered over to the pagoda were they first held hands. …

Taemin’s soft voice came about “I have one more gift for you.”

“You do? Taemin you don’t have to. You next to me is all I need. After the hectic week I had, it’s nice having a quiet moment together before we have to head back before they figure out I’ve gone.”

Taemin took a deep breath working up his nerves to kiss the prince. In his dreams he wasn’t nervous at all but in reality he was a bit sweaty and jittery. Would they get caught? Would it be ok? Should he not do it? “You’re all I need too Jinki hyung. This is nice, taking a walk with you….”They shared a warm smile.. “You look so handsome today, Jinki. So grown up.”

“Thank you, you look wonderful too tonight.”Jinki gestured towards the sky “And with this moonlight, you are breathtaking.”

Taemin giggled “hyung, are you reading my mind? I have been thinking the same about you.” They laughed sweetly, next thing Taemin knew he had stopped walking.  Jinki stepped in front of him with a playful smirk and cutely said with his right eyebrow arched “Great minds do think alike they say, Taemin.” Taemin giggled and held both of Jinki’s hands. As they faced each other they locked eyes; Jinki thumbed over the back of the younger’s hands. Taemin felt the heat rise in his heart making him break eye contact; he looked around again to make sure for a fact it was private. They were indeed out of sight and far away from prying eyes. “Jinki hyung” he whispered.

“What is it Taemin?”

“My 3rd present, ties all the presents together….” He swallowed and started again “My last present comes from the heart. And if it is true great minds think alike, then I know you’ll like it, love it in fact. It’s a private piece of me, to you. A mature present meant for only us. A memory only we will have. Like the rose, a symbol of your growth into graceful and manly maturity. Just like the perfume of the rose, this present I give you is the essence of my love for you.” He leaned closer, coyly batting his lashes the closer he got to the handsome prince. Slightly nervous he looked down briefly as he tried not to blush. He failed for Jinki smiled softly seeing his pale cheeks tint in the soft light. He looked handsomely beautiful to the elder; the prince leaned in closer as well. Slowly raising his eyelevel to meet his tender gaze, Taemin his own lips and tilted his head slightly to the right. A centimeter away, there was a second of eye contact as Taemin’s breath ghosted over Jinki’s plump lips as he murmured softly “I love you.” Slowly closing their eyes they gently married their lips together; their hearts leapt with joy. An almost inaudible hum came from the elder washing away Taemin’s nervousness. Not as bashful at the moment and filled with his gift of love he tilted his head to the other side, bravely following his heart, Taemin parted his lips; Jinki tenderly followed his lead. With a hint of shyness left he timidly past the elder’s lips; Jinki tenderly received his final present.

No longer following the lead but taking it, Jinki cupped the boy’s neck and affectionately thumbed over his jaw line deepening the kiss slightly. Their tongues gently danced in a soft ballet. The romantic kiss may have been slow, but their hearts, which had become one, were anything but.  With soft unsteady breathing the heat from the passionate kiss filled them up that they hadn’t realized the temperature dropped until they slowly ended their first grown up kiss. With rosy cheeks the couple separated just as slowly as they had started, a faint fog of white floated from their warms lips into the cold night air as they breathed once more “I love you.” 

His bottom lip tucked behind his upper teeth, Taemin cutely looked away. His mind went blank. Like one of his favorite poems, he had memorized everything, what to say, what to do, so he wouldn’t get too nervous and chicken out and to come off as grown up and confident. But now it was all over and he didn’t know what to do or say; he felt the blush upon his cheeks and blurted out adorably “My cheeks are hot.” He touched his right cheek softly, feeling its blushing heat as he blinked shyly.

The atmosphere of the moment didn’t fade, never getting awkward and remaining sweet, The Prince chuckled lightly at the younger’s cuteness; the regal adult cupped his face and sweetly kissed his forehead. Taemin removed his hand from his own face; Jinki tenderly then pecked his now free right pink cheek softly.  “Thank you for giving me the best present I have ever gotten. It was romantic.” He pressed his cheek to his and murmured in the shell of his ear “I officially feel like a man now. It was the perfect way to end my coming of age ceremony. Thank you jagiya.”

The ends of Taemin’s lips curled up sweetly at hearing that term of endearment for the first time. Jinki pecked those smiling lips before tangling his fingers in his and locking eyes with him tenderly. Happily overwhelmed with Jinki returning his love and affection and although not an “official” adult yet himself, he felt like he was an adult after hearing the prince was more than satisfied and pleased with his present; It gave the love-filled Taemin manly pride and confidence which made him glow radiantly  beautiful. And seeing Taemin shine so beautiful in that moment, the prince added sweetly “Everything you’ve done for me tonight. I loved it all. You also made me see the true beauty in poetry. It is pretty; it’s so beautiful and lovely just like you”  Happily smiling tenderly, The Prince leaned in to maturely kiss him for the 2nd time tonight, making both their hearts race in a manly pace once again…. Afterwards, pulling away slowly, he airily breathed romantically against his lips as he rested his forehead against Taemin’s “What I mean to say is, you are poetry to me, Taemin.  I love you with all my heart.”

Smiling lovingly Taemin replied “I love you too, jagiya.” The happy young lovers giggled together. They hugged and stayed in the embrace for a while with Taemin pillowing his head on the prince’s chest and Jinki his back. But soon reality hit them: they had to get back…Taemin slid out of the hug and intertwined their fingers again, tugging gently on his hand. “Come, let’s get you back.” 

Smiling brightly Jinki nodded and walked off with him…As they smiled; beyond happily, they walked in a comfortable silence back to the pavilion with the spot light of the moon upon them. Returning unseen they blended back into the crowd, parting ways.

….

Throughout the night they’d glance at each other’s direction periodically with a smile. Jinki was with the King, mingling with governors’, officials and other notable men, of high rank and status, including Taemin’s father. When Minho’s shift was over he congratulated the prince and stopped by Taemin’s family to say hello before joining Kibum who was busy watching Jonghyun and his sister singing together. 

Smiling sweetly, Taemin was currently standing at the side edge of the pavilion looking out over the pond, thinking about his first adult kiss a few hours earlier….

Deep in thought, Taemin was startled when he heard the Queen’s pretty voice sneak up behind him. “Your presents were wonderful Taemin.”   She placed her palms on the railing looking out into the night with him. Her golden hair accessories danced in the cool breeze.

He clutched his heart and faced her then bowed. “Your highness, I’m sorry, you startled me.” He blushed, embarrassed for jerking like he had.

The queen softly giggled cutely “I’m sorry Taemin.”

“I’m ok.”

“Please be comfortable with me. It is a party after all. Formalities for the most part are over at this late hour; most people have drunk too much to notice protocol at this point.” She smirked, amused at all her guests.

Taemin looked back over his shoulder at the crowd of people then back to her. The other royal’s (Leeteuk’s family) and a few others were very drunk, loud, and obnoxious. Others were chatting politely and or watching the Kim’s performing. And even others must have forgotten it was a party and were discussing business. “Yes, seems so.” He chuckled cutely. 

The queen shrugged. “As long as they are having fun. Speaking of fun, are you having fun? Are you excited? The time is almost upon us. The King and I have worked out all the kinks of our situation. In one month we will request a meeting with your family and legally and officially announce everything.”

“Yes, I am ready.” He looked away scanning the room. He had met all these people before. He had even worked with some of them, alongside his father.   Taemin turned his head slowly, a bit nervous once again “They will accept he and I as a couple right?”

She nodded. They have no choice the way the king and queen wrote the laws but they wouldn’t deny the prince his happiness anyway for they all love him there for she answered simply “Of course they will accept. You’ve come a long way since that little shy 8 year old boy that we all first met. Everyone already sees it. Make sure you see it yourself. As the partner of the king, it can be hard on me. But I am strong. You are strong too and can be with the Crown Prince; I have no doubts of your abilities. Neither should you.”

Taemin smiled “thank you for everything your highness. The prince was right. You do have a heart of gold.”

She smiled sweetly “Good night Mr. Lee.”

Taemin bowed and returned his attention to the pond below as she turned to leave. She looked over her shoulder “Oh, and Lee Teamin...” she waited for him to turn around... “You have the support of The Crown and heaven behind you.” She winked and bowed before departing; leaving Taemin feeling empowered and another step closer to bravery to face what’s to come...