Strategy

The Crown Prince

…..Chapter 27…..

 

Scholar Kim hid Taemin in his hanbok as he made his way to Jagyeongjeon (the Quarters of Jinki’s paternal grandmother).  The building was naturally empty due to his grandmother passing away when Jinki was younger and thankfully none of Leeteuk’s men decided to occupy the quarters. After the King and Queen died the Queen’s maiden returned his flower to this building knowing Taemin’s flower was safe here amongst all the others that have been kept here over the centuries. 

Double checking that he had not been followed, Kim looked around once more before sliding the old wooden doors open to the building. Once safely inside the main chamber without being detected by Leeteuk’s guards, he opened the fold across his chest allowing Taemin to peek out of the hanbok..… They weren’t’ sure where they were kept, Not a Queen, or a immediate family member or one of her majesty's maidens he was not privy to such information, Scholar Kim only knew which building thus the search began for the legendary hidden room.

“I wish your husband’s mother could have shown you this. She was a great lady. We will all miss her. You remind me of her. She would have loved to bond with you telling you the stories and history she learn after she married into the Royal Lee family. I’m sure her maiden will tell you all she knows.” Kim spoke softly as they looked around. “I do know however, this building is one of the oldest on the palace grounds; this was the angel’s quarters. All the flowers have always been kept, saved and protected here. The Queen’s of past generations have always been the protectors. King Jinki’s mother was a guardian when her husband’s mother passed on and now you follow in their angelic royal footsteps; as tradition you are now the guardian of the flowers.”

…….

With Taemin looking out of the flap of the hanbok, they made their way through the corridors of the Jagyeongjeon finally reaching the back room down the left hallway. Sliding the heavy creaking door open and entering they glanced around the room. The side wall of the current chamber had a secret door, It was breathtaking; it caught their attention instantly while crossing the threshold…. The colorful wall was the only wall of the room that had paneling on all four sides:  at the bottom where it touched the floor, the top meeting the ceiling and both sides, it literally framed the massive walled painting. The wooden framed wall had a beautiful scene of Emerald Fields painted on the hanji canvas covering the expanse of the wall in long rectangle strips from ceiling to floor. Taemin having seen the heavenly garden with his own eyes, he instantly recognized it. “This, This must be it. That is the heart of Emerald fields where the ghost of King Jinki’s mother met with us.”

Kibum’s father with one hand reached for the kitten, a thumb under Taemin’s armpit and his fingers under the other, he lifted the little kitten out carefully from his clothing. Removed from his robes he adjusted Taemin gently. The new Queen was so small he fit in the palm of Scholar Kim’s hand as he was lowered carefully to the floor.

Taemin purred softly “Thank you” as he walked out of his cupped palm towards the wall. The scene depicted the start of a time honored romantic custom and tradition that would last throughout the centuries. Taemin took a moment of silence as he stared up at the stunning mural. Standing in awe his little sparkling eyes smiled softly as a tear slipped from his eyes. Taemin scanned over the flawless artistic of the lush grounds and the magnificent colors on the floral heavenly and yet earthy landscape. He leaned back to look even higher to see a male and a female sitting in a circle of yellow flowers in the center of the emerald blades of grass: Jinki’s ancestors. It was a panting of the first proposal, for a yellow flower brightly adored the angel’s ebony hair, accenting her graceful beauty and christened the occasion. He breathed “It’s beautiful” He couldn’t take his eyes off of the elegant angel that foretold his arrival to the Palace; gazing tenderly into her angelic brown eyes he whispered to the painting. “I’m here now, mother-nim.” The kitten genuflected, paying his respects. Coming up from his formal bow he pawed at his wet cheeks, removing his tear “I will take care of your descendant, like a Queen, like his mother before me. I will watch over and protect this Kingdom like his parents and all the Kings and Queens that came before me. It’s an honor to follow in your eminence’s footsteps.”

While Taemin felt the royal weight of the SHINee World fall upon him he gladly and proudly accepted it wholeheartedly. Like a true royal he felt his husband’s compassionate burden for the people: He had become his regal husband’s equal, for he could finally feel it: his royal blood god had given him in his mother’s womb, pulsing throughout him. He would not only share his heart but all duties of the throne with King Jinki…. The heaven’s blessed him with a vision as he admired the wall, of he and King Jinki on the throne reigning over a peaceful, happy, and prosperous SHINee Kingdom. The last step in Taemin’s maturity, his faith and determination grew stronger. If he did have any remaining shyness and reservations they were washed away as he swelled up with humble pride and confidence. King Taemin was fully ready to take on the evils of Leeteuk and restore the throne that rightfully belonged to King Jinki and himself ….  

Giving him privacy while he prayed and communed with the heavens, Scholar Kim had been looking for a way to open the wall. When he felt Taemin was finished he spoke respectfully soft “Your highness, there is no handle. Maybe it’s just a painting indicating this to be the right room. Perhaps there is a passageway somewhere in this room but there is no door on this wall.” He pushed on the wall to demonstrate his point. He then tried the wall next to it but nothing happened either. Taemin being so small and close to the ground he saw a small indention on the bottom in the center of the wooden frame in front of him.  King Taemin said firmly “It is this wall.  I see a small gripping area. Try putting your fingers in this dent and lift. The flowers are behind this wall, I feel it.”

Scholar Kim bent over, placed his four fingers in the indention and pulled up, slowly revealing the hidden room. While the scholar was raising the wall the tiny regal kitten began walking in. A rattle cut through the silence of the room as the sides of the painting slid along hidden rusty tracks along the side walls, the tracks apparently had been hiding discretely behind the wooden frame’s sides; the painted wall slid up and rolled back into the secret room with its painted face now facing the ceiling of the new room. They were greeted by the sacred sight of heaven’s flowers…The three walls of the flower room were also painted decoratively. Taemin’s angelic heart told him it was images of Heaven. The three walls were lined with multiple rows high of shelves running the length of the beautiful colored walls.  Neatly displayed and evenly spaced along each shelf was a single line of wooden square bases which had been painted aqua, on top of each one there was an emerald vase containing a single yellow hibiscus from every proposal ever made by all the Lee Crown Prince’s that ever lived. Over each vase displayed was a glass cylinder dome protecting the flower from dust and human hands.  Taemin meant to look up to the official to ask to be lifted up but his gaze caught sight of the stunning painted ceiling. Above their heads was the sky and fluffy clouds painted into the ceiling and in the center of the ceiling was the same wooden carving of the twin dragons welcoming he and Jinki’s love and reign of the SHINee World just like the ceiling of the throne hall. Taemin smiled happily.

Seeing Taemin gazing above his head, Kim looked up as well. “That represents me and my husband.”

Kibum’s father smiled kindly “Yes, your highness. You two are worthy of the throne no matter what Lord Leeteuk does or says.” 

Scholar Kim lifted the kitten up into his arms and walked him along the shelved walls so he may see. With moist eyes the new Queen purred softly “So beautiful.” Taemin turned his head following the single line of flowers on the current shelf but one of the flowers was covered on the other wall under a black cloth and it caught his eye. “Walk me there. I wish to unveil that one. It’s mine. It must be what the king was going to show me before he passed out and fell ill, he never got a chance to uncover it; that has to be it.”

When they walked closer Taemin‘s attention was drawn to another flower. The one next to it had a single pearlescent aqua petal amongst its yellow ones and its leaves on its stem were a bright shiny emerald, the flower seemed to be glowing from how brilliantly bright the hues were. The kitten sighed in amazement; the heavens mystical artwork was breathtaking: seeing something centuries old look as brand new as the day it had bloomed.  Kim leaned in closer to read, verifying it was indeed the Angel’s for he saw her name engraved on the aqua base. “Are you ready Queen Taemin?”

Taemin nodded “Yes, Please.”

Kim pinched the ebony velvet over the center top of the dome and lifted gently…. Taemin gasped when his flower was in full view, standing proudly in its emerald vase right next to hers on the shelf. The kitten breathed airily “They are identical.” Taemin became overwhelmed with emotions for being in this chamber and witnessing the flowers had been a royal spiritual rite of passage experience for him; he had a happy sentimental lump in his throat; a tear rolled from his eye as he read his name aloud “Prince Lee Taemin, betrothed to Crown Prince Lee Jinki.” He blinked, releasing the clinging tear from his lashes. The new guardian of the flowers asked kindly as he wiped the tears he shed from his furry cheeks “Take both of these with us to The Crown Prince’s quarters. I believe my husband I will need this for our plan.”

“Yes, your majesty.” 

…………………

While King Taemin was retrieving the twin flowers his husband and Chief Choi were being snuck across the Palace; Minho was hidden in Lee Sooman’s black mesh gat (hat) while the rabbit was hidden in the front of his hanbok…..

The evil Lord’s loyal guards: there weren’t that many for far too many were faithful to the Royal Lee Family and their kingdom, mostly the Lord’s guards  were from his own small palace compound where he was lord over his own village and were already loyal to him. Only about five disloyal SHINee soldiers had converted to his side once the King and Queen had died and the others went missing. Leeteuk’s trusted men were posted at the Main Gate of the SHINee Palace and others were constantly around him; the guilty traitor knew he’d have to be held heavily guarded for anyone that denies him the throne and his soon to be coronation. The SHINee Guards had to share barracks with Leeteuk’s Guards. Leeteuk’s soldiers slept mostly if they were on the grounds if they weren’t busy harassing the local shawol’s in the city on the other side of the palace walls when on patrol. The SHINee Guard had no choice and were forced to do as Leeteuk said. Choi knew this would happen and was prepared; General Choi gave instructions to the loyal men: The loyal SHINee guard, under Choi’s orders, were to stay under Leeteuk’s radar, he ordered them to blend in without committing any crimes and without being disloyal and dishonorable to the SHINee World and their Crown: The Royal SHINee Army had became spies… The stockade was protected by General Choi’s trusted men so he could have freedom to do his work with allies…

After stressfully dodging Leeteuk and then Heechul, Advisor Lee finally reached the jail. He nodded to one of the trusted guards and was let in by the jailor. General Choi stood up when he heard the metal rusty door creak as it swung open down the hall.  Sooman exited the dingy hallway and into the huge room with a dirt floor and cells along the three walls. He smiled nervously as he greeted Minho’s father once he came into view…. Looking out of the sheer hat the tiny frog sighed a sign of relief seeing his father after all this time. Sooman was so nervous of being caught that his body heat had risen and it was making the hidden King sweaty and hard for him to breathe, Jinki almost passed out. 

“Is everything alright? Have you heard anything about Prince Joon? Our men should be setting him free any day now and will him here. When it’s safe we will bring his wife and child.  Did Queen Taemin’s mother send a new map of the already searched locations for their highnesses?...Why are you sweating?”

One of the guards opened the cell and let the official in. Sooman wiped his forehead and sat down on a tiny stool. “I have much to tell you. Leeteuk did indeed poison our King and Queen and our two princes and…your son.”

General Choi cut him off eagerly “How do you know, did we find bodies?” He swallowed and tried not to think of his personal feelings, his son, at the moment so he could think clearly and professionally about the kingdom; he quickly changed the subject. He cleared his throat. “It’s even more urgent we rescue Prince Joon.”

“Settle down, you didn’t let me finish. I understand you are worried about your son.” He said taking his hat off carefully while walking closer to the wall where a small square opening was: a window with bars to let sunlight in and not let men out. Choi didn’t see him place the tiny blue frog on the windowsill. Chief Choi had a perfect view of the cell; he watched his father carefully. Sooman turned around “What I am about to tell you…. I think you should sit down General.” He waited for him to do so. “The poison Leeteuk used... its dark, pure evil. He and Heechul commissioned a man known as Shindong to concoct it. The poisons transformed the 4 royals, the two Kim’s, and your Minho. The King and Queen did not survive the metamorphosis, the others survived and were then transferred by Heechul to where heaven meets earth: Emerald Fields while Leeteuk stayed behind in the king’s chambers and watched the Crown die.”

“Their deformed? How do you know this? Are they still alive? Where are they, where is my son?”

Advisor Lee motioned to the window “Transformed, not deformed. This…this is your son. Say hello Chief Choi.”

The frog croaked quietly “Hello Father. Please don’t be alarmed. We’ll get him for this.”

Startled, General Choi jerked backward. As he stood up hastily the stool toppled to the ground and rolled on its side. While Choi stared at his son, wide-eyed and utterly speechless Sooman had taken Jinki from his robes, sat the stool up and placed his highness on top. The tokki wiped his sweaty forehead with his long ears….

….They let father and son get reacquainted.  It was awkward at first for the Choi’s but Jinki saw a tear slip from his former teacher’s eye; the words ‘I love you’ being mouthed didn’t go unnoticed by the King either. Jinki smiled seeing the father and son bond; he remembered Scholar Kim had that same look in his eyes after reuniting with his son. While Taemin was feeling his angelic blood on the other side of the palace, Jinki was experiencing his human side…He had lost his parents but they still had theirs which made King Jinki wipe his own wet eyes for he suddenly missed his parents and tired to hold back his tears for he knew he’d never get a hug from his appa anymore.

“Where is King Jinki?” General Choi asked his son while sniffing in trying to recompose himself.  

“There, father.” Minho motioned with his head.

Choi turned around and saw the teeny round fluffy tokki. “He turned my son the size of my pinky finger and he has turned our King into a baby bunny?” he sighed heavily and groaned.  “He is going to pay for this. How may I be of service, Jeonha?”

Jinki answered “We need your help. Official Lee has told me everything that has happened while we were gone. I am fully updated on the current situation. I’ll explain everything that has taken place with the five of us then we will commence with our meeting that will help us take over...Strike that, take Back what is ours.”

…………………………………………

King’s Jinki and Taemin had been brought back to the Crown Prince’s chambers when they were finished with their errands. While they were gone Jinki’s personal maiden came back with lunch for the two who were guarding the petals. Kibum had informed the maiden to come back later that night like the King’s wanted...

Before she and the officials reported back to Jinki’s Chambers and after Jinki briefed them on his meeting with General Choi, Taemin had talked with Jinki and the others about his experience in the Jagyeongjeon and described what he saw and felt. Taemin planned to take Jinki there as soon as everything was settled and the kingdom was back in their rightful hands. The three friends enjoyed listening intently hearing about the room as well but Taemin sensed Jinki was feeling a bit down. The kitten tilted his head and placed his paw on this chubby white leg “Hyung?”

“I thought I had to be strong and stay focused to get back the crown. Everyone sees me as just a royal, sees my parents as King and Queen but they were more than that to me. But you guys see me as a brother, I see you as my brothers as well. The kingdom lost their sovereigns but I lost my parents. They were my appa and umma, real people whom I love and miss dearly. I tried to put my grief to the back of my mind until this was all over, but being back home and seeing two of you reunite with your fathers already, I am not jealous you get to have families to come home too. I am genuinely happy for all of you. It’s just being back on the palace grounds, being in this room, and passing my mother’s building last night when we arrived, that grief, the pain of losing my parents, I can’t get away from it.  I just want to express…You are the only family I have now; I mean no disrespect to Prince Joon. I love ‘em, he’s a sweet guy but we aren’t close.  You four are my immediate family. The love I get from you is my strength. Thank you for always being there for me.”

The tiny kitten hugged him “After you and I have a private moment in the flower room once Leeteuk and the others have been sentenced....Kibum’s father said the flower room is for  family  members only, how about all five of us go to the flower room since we are your family. You can share stories of your parents there. Show us their flower. You are a great storyteller like your father. Carry on that tradition with us. Tell us the side only you saw of your umma and appa.”

“I’d like that.” The Tokki wiped a tear he had shed while speaking.

Jonghyun smiled softly “We’d be honored to see the room.” He nuzzled his head into his shoulder.

Kibum was next to huddle around him and show his support “I know there is public mourning but with us you know you can always grieve however you want, free of judgment.”

Minho leaped up and landed on the bunny’s hand. “We are always with you, be it tears or bunny ears.”

Jonghyun chuckled at the frogs words. “Hey, I’m the jokester.”

Minho smiled “I know and you missed your chance, Jjongie.” They all chuckled; King Jinki’s spirits were lifted as the brotherly group hug soothed his soul.

Taemin purred “We always meet and bonded in this room ever since we were all little boys.” He smiled “It’s our tradition. And with the memories The Queen returned to us, I do recall we all would always end on a happy note. There for Jinki hyung-nim, please tell us happy stories of your family while we wait for the meeting to start.” ..The kitten kissed his cheek and settled cutely next to him ready for the story to begin; with the couple sitting so close the others cooed teasingly like they use to.

Taemin and with the help of the others Jinki felt his stress and melancholy fade away for a moment; He was feeling himself and ready for anything and prepared for his meeting. An hour before the meeting Jinki reviewed what was going to take place at the meeting again: Regal Jinki was back with the love of his friends and his personal angel, Taemin. …..

…..

The maiden arrived first, she covered the windows with heavy blankets so the candle light couldn’t be seen glowing through the wooden shutters. She had brought them rice for dinner. She served them after lighting a candle.

As the two men arrived Kings’ Jinki and Taemin gave each other a glance as they both remembered their 1st meeting as children in this very spot: a memory thankful to have: grateful for their restored memories but they were no longer 8 and 12 years old pretending to be in a meeting, Jinki and Taemin had grown up so much and were in their first official meeting together, a serious meeting they never would have dreamed of. This was life and death for them and their three friends and the threat of the SHINee Dynasty coming to an end if Leeteuk finished his take over… The nocturnal meeting took place right away as soon as the two officials arrived; they gathered round on the floor in the center of the room in a circle by the light of the small candle….

They may be animals and it may not have been the prestigious throne hall but the meeting was conducted with the same grace and dignity the best it could under the circumstances. The two King’s professionally gave permission for Advisor Lee to start first. “The coronation is in 3 days. General Choi and his highness and I Think it is the best time to strike for all to see what he has done. We will bring him to justice before the crown touches his vile head.”

King Taemin told the maiden “Thank you for telling our parents we are alive. But we need you to take King Jinki’s horse and ride out to my parent’s house once more and inform our families to come to the coronation. His coronation date will give people time to travel and witness our return so they know the truth. Tell them to pass the word to anyone loyal to us, as well. The gates will welcome them. We don’t want any of Leeteuk’s men to find out we are alive, just notify shawols to come for he will be exposed for his sins against The Crown and Kingdom: all must witness.” 

The regal tokki nodded to Chief Choi letting him explain the royal army’s plan “Like King Taemin said the gates will welcome them; General Choi will have his men “take out” Leeteuk’s guards at the main gate’s entrance so our people may be let in: who shows the aqua diamond on their person, be clothing or a flag, or fan.. ect will not be turned away, Shawols have my father’s word.   While Leeteuk is getting ready for the big event so will we. Our royal army will set General Choi free at the break of dawn. The SHINee army will dispose of any traitor guards; there will be two remaining guards with Lord Leeteuk at all times. Ever since he has moved in he always has two body guards with him; we can’t change out those men with our own for he will know we are up to something.  So we’ll have to wait to get rid of them, they will be taken when we get Leeteuk, Heechul, and Shindong during the ceremony in the afternoon. Prince Joon, by the time of the coronation, would have already been rescued and brought here. Everyone who is on our side already knows he is being rescued tomorrow. They may think we want everyone to return to the palace so he can take the throne and that is fine; it helps throw suspicious off of our return if there is any. Prince Joon will be briefed when he gets here of everything and our plan. He will be hidden in the palace with us; we will emerge when the time is right: the coronation.”

The tokki then turned to his maiden and addressed her “While Heechul leaves his room to go to the ceremony, rescue the Royal physician from his chambers. Who knows what condition she is in; please help her get cleaned up and dressed. If she has any wounds or bruises tend to them immediately. I want her in the main stone courtyard with all of us, I know she would want to be there.”

King Taemin reminded her “Also we will be once we eat the petals, please have blankets and or clothing ready for us. The Queen’s maiden may assist you; she is the only other person you may tell about our situation, us being animals the whole thing. She and the Queen were very close and I would like her to have the honor of bringing the twin flowers with her. While in the courtyard tell her to keep them covered until I say.” 

She bowed her head “Yes, your highness.”

The older King asked “Maiden, are our hanboks ready with the new royal seal? The diamond my husband’s mother designed?”

“Yes I have sewed the emblems on the front of you hanboks like you wished.”

“Good, Could you take an aqua flag and sew it on it for us too? When you are finished with it, give it to General Choi or one of our trusted soldiers. They will know what to do with it.”

“Yes, your highness.”

......

It had been a long day; the meeting went very well and afterwards they all went to sleep…Jinki lay down on his bed which seemed so big to his little animal body. Taemin crawled next to him and placed his paw over Jinki’s while their friends slept in the common open area to give them privacy. Jinki was awake with his eyes closed, he felt accomplished and unafraid of what’s to come. He heard a little meow, he smiled. He opened one eye and looked at his spouse. Taemin was laying sideways smiling at him “There is always a time for everything; we’ve become pro’s at being personal around each other and our friends and then being professional when it calls of it. Your parents taught us well. We were very professional during our meeting that I think your parents would be proud of us.. I feel them smiling down upon us.”

Jinki smiled softly “I do too.” Taemin placed his paw over Jinki’s heart and whispered “I can feel their spirits are still with us, I feel it in my heart and yours.” their hearts being one Jinki felt it too, but becoming a tad emotional Jinki could only smile and nod in agreement. 

Taemin snuggled his head closer and added “I feel good about this. I feel confident about our plan. You have nothing to fear my love.”

Jinki hummed and snuggled his head closer as well…..There was a moment of peaceful silence safe for the puppy snoring in the other room until the tokki’s sweet nectar voice finally whispered. “I was thinking, I have known you for 12 years and we never had 24 hours alone together in all our years together. When this is over and everything has settled down, I’d like to spend literally a whole day with just you.”

The kitten murmured “I would love to…..I love you hyung.” He squeezed his paw tenderly “We’re going to be alright.”

“I love you Taeminah.” He his side; his little pink nose wiggled “with all my heart”  

Taemin smiled and teased “thump thump” They giggled cutely then The King pecked the kitten on the cheek; Taemin purred cutely. Jinki wrapped his arms around his little furry husband and whispered his plan for a romantic 24 hour date…. their minds cleared of any troubles as Jinki focused on their relationship to de-stress; they thought about a happy future together as human men. Taemin murmured that he was  thinking about holding hands, one of his favorite things he longed to do again -  He pet Jinki’s white paw, Taemin wished he could interlock fingers with him but then an adorable grin crept up Taemin’s face when Jinki reminded him he would be able to do so in three days….. With an official plan to expose the evils, and a small moment to grieve until the next which will be when after the Kings’ Lee ascend the throne, the loving couple finally had a private moment to reconnect personally since their memories had been restored; they fell asleep in the others warm embrace happily and with a renewed spirit.